Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #151
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

I so know your conundrum! We live in CT, within 45 minutes to Providence, an hour to Hartford, 1.5 to Boston and 2 to NYC. I'm constantly figuring out which price is best from where. If i fly out of NYC, i can save about 100$...but then I have to figure out gas money and the pain of possibly waking up at 3:00 am to get there.

Bottom line- I always tell myself my vacation begins the night before I board the plane. In Disney, I pay someone else to clean my room and give me food...so why shouldn't I pay myself a little extra money to avoid stress and chaos the first full day of vaca? I am one who is willing to pay a little extra to go to a close airport and not stress....however, I am also a huge bargain shopper sooo the struggle never ends for me. Unless it's a GREAT deal and a large amount of money for the difference, I usually just go with convenience.
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**

UP NEXT: Wilderness Lodge 11/2012
shordiebecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #152
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
I so know your conundrum! We live in CT, within 45 minutes to Providence, an hour to Hartford, 1.5 to Boston and 2 to NYC. I'm constantly figuring out which price is best from where. If i fly out of NYC, i can save about 100$...but then I have to figure out gas money and the pain of possibly waking up at 3:00 am to get there.

Bottom line- I always tell myself my vacation begins the night before I board the plane. In Disney, I pay someone else to clean my room and give me food...so why shouldn't I pay myself a little extra money to avoid stress and chaos the first full day of vaca? I am one who is willing to pay a little extra to go to a close airport and not stress....however, I am also a huge bargain shopper sooo the struggle never ends for me. Unless it's a GREAT deal and a large amount of money for the difference, I usually just go with convenience.
It's amazing how many airport choices are out there! Plus, if I really wanted to, I could check Erie (2.5hrs), Binghamton (2.5hrs), and Elmira (2hrs.) Apparently Allegiant Air flies out of Elmira, only twice a week, but it's soooo cheap! I'll keep it in mind for another trip, but I don't think it'll work for this one.

Your second paragraph really drove home a point. Thanks so much for posting it. You're right! I should pay myself a little extra!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #153
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Update

It's been fairly quiet over here. Bandit had his first Vet appointment today and did very well! He got 2 shots and we'll be headed back in about a month to finish up his shots. The Vet praised him for being such a good boy too! He's a healthy puppy, so we're very happy. He's pretty sleepy tonight from the shots, so it's really quiet tonight!

I have a company car for work that just got replaced. So now I'm driving around a Ford Escape. It's weird to drive a new car, always feels so different! I think I'm liking it better than the Jeep Liberty though, so that's a plus!

Finally, I got a new laptop!! Mine was slowly dying, so I took the plunge and got a new one. It's a Studio from Dell. I love how fast it is!

Tomorrow night we're going to the Brad Paisley concert! And Saturday we're having a get together for the choir members.

Sunday? I'll be cleaning because my MOM is coming up to visit! (My parents were already planning to visit in late July, but she wants to see her grandpuppy!) So I'm hoping the F&W details will be released soon, hopefully while she's here so we can go over it together!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #154
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Posting to say that I'm subbing to your PTR We'll be coming to WDW just after you (and everyone else on the DIS apparently )
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV

*NEW!!!* August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #155
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
Posting to say that I'm subbing to your PTR We'll be coming to WDW just after you (and everyone else on the DIS apparently )
Thanks for stopping in! The good news is that I'll be posting to twitter while I'm down there, so you'll know ahead of time which F&W booths are good and which are bad!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #156
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

A conundrum... my Mom suggested that I invite my cousin along for the December trip. I responded that I'm okay doing a solo trip, but now I feel guilty! She loves WDW too (she actually did the CP!) So maybe my solo trip won't be a solo trip ...again Actually, I probably would still have solo time with her since I can't imagine we'd do everything together!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #157
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Whoa changes for December!

It didn't take long after I invited her that my cousin emailed me back to say that she'd love to come! So pretty much everything about that trip (except for days and flights) is changing. As I mentioned, she did the College Program, so she still knows a bunch of people who work there. So she offered to hit them up to get 40% off our hotel stay And now since I'm splitting a hotel, I really don't care where we stay (funny, neither does she) so I just requested staying somewhere that I haven't. She also mentioned that the taping of the Christmas Parade would be that weekend, so we might sit in on that! How fun!

It's funny, I've never planned a trip with another Disney enthusiast (minus my Mom.) As soon as she emailed me back, she had all these questions about my current plans It should be fun!

Stay tuned!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #158
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
It's been fairly quiet over here. Bandit had his first Vet appointment today and did very well! He got 2 shots and we'll be headed back in about a month to finish up his shots. The Vet praised him for being such a good boy too! He's a healthy puppy, so we're very happy. He's pretty sleepy tonight from the shots, so it's really quiet tonight!

I have a company car for work that just got replaced. So now I'm driving around a Ford Escape. It's weird to drive a new car, always feels so different! I think I'm liking it better than the Jeep Liberty though, so that's a plus!

Finally, I got a new laptop!! Mine was slowly dying, so I took the plunge and got a new one. It's a Studio from Dell. I love how fast it is!

Tomorrow night we're going to the Brad Paisley concert! And Saturday we're having a get together for the choir members.

Sunday? I'll be cleaning because my MOM is coming up to visit! (My parents were already planning to visit in late July, but she wants to see her grandpuppy!) So I'm hoping the F&W details will be released soon, hopefully while she's here so we can go over it together!

I feel so bad for them when they get their shots...they look so sad, And they do sleep all nigiht...it wears the little ones out.

Can you PM me about your Studio from Dell? What did you have put on it, etc. Our computer crashed again and I really need to breakdwon and get a new one.

When is Mom coming?

Quote:
It didn't take long after I invited her that my cousin emailed me back to say that she'd love to come! So pretty much everything about that trip (except for days and flights) is changing. As I mentioned, she did the College Program, so she still knows a bunch of people who work there. So she offered to hit them up to get 40% off our hotel stay And now since I'm splitting a hotel, I really don't care where we stay (funny, neither does she) so I just requested staying somewhere that I haven't. She also mentioned that the taping of the Christmas Parade would be that weekend, so we might sit in on that! How fun!

It's funny, I've never planned a trip with another Disney enthusiast (minus my Mom.) As soon as she emailed me back, she had all these questions about my current plans It should be fun!

Stay tuned!
I think you are going to have a blast. Let us know when the resort is selected.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #159
arbolita
DIS Veteran

That should be fun having your cousin with you! Though I have to say, I really hope that one day I will be able to take a solo trip. Now, I love my husband, but he's not quite as adventurous as I am with food, so there are some restaurants I will never be able to try when we're in the World together.

Do you have a top 5 list of resorts you haven't tried yet?
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV

*NEW!!!* August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #160
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I feel so bad for them when they get their shots...they look so sad, And they do sleep all nigiht...it wears the little ones out.

Can you PM me about your Studio from Dell? What did you have put on it, etc. Our computer crashed again and I really need to breakdwon and get a new one.

When is Mom coming?

I think you are going to have a blast. Let us know when the resort is selected.
I'll send a PM right after this (I might look at the Dell site to make sure I have it right! )

Bandit actually did pretty well getting the shot. Our Vet (who I love, I'm really happy we found this particular Vet) gave him a treat to distract him, and it totally did! He definitely has a healthy appetite. What's funny is that he was up on the table, there were 3 containers up there too, one with cotton balls, one with cotton swabs, and one with treats. He sniffed out the one with treats so fast! Our vet says, "well, there's nothing wrong with his nose!"

My Mom is coming up on Monday, staying through Wednesday. She has a few extra days off from work and found good airfare, so she's coming to see her Grandpuppy

I'll definitely keep this posted with the December info. Right now, that's all there really is! At least until that F&W schedule is released! I might need to change the name of the PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
That should be fun having your cousin with you! Though I have to say, I really hope that one day I will be able to take a solo trip. Now, I love my husband, but he's not quite as adventurous as I am with food, so there are some restaurants I will never be able to try when we're in the World together.

Do you have a top 5 list of resorts you haven't tried yet?
Haha, I've always wanted to take a solo trip, so I was looking forward to it. But then my Mom suggested her coming too, and I figured she'd enjoy coming too. I guess I shouldn't complain that there are too many people in my life who love Disney

My top 5:
1)Boardwalk...I can't justify the cost for it though!
2) POR...I love POFQ, so I want to try the sister resort
3) CBR...round out the Mods (and the pool looks so cool!)
4) ASMo...I want to stay in Toy Story!
5) All Star Sports...resort doesn't appeal to me, but I want to round out the Values.

The others I have never stayed at...Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Fort Wilderness.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #161
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Haha, I've always wanted to take a solo trip, so I was looking forward to it. But then my Mom suggested her coming too, and I figured she'd enjoy coming too. I guess I shouldn't complain that there are too many people in my life who love Disney

My top 5:
1)Boardwalk...I can't justify the cost for it though!
2) POR...I love POFQ, so I want to try the sister resort
3) CBR...round out the Mods (and the pool looks so cool!)
4) ASMo...I want to stay in Toy Story!
5) All Star Sports...resort doesn't appeal to me, but I want to round out the Values.

The others I have never stayed at...Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Fort Wilderness.
I've also never been in any of the Deluxe resorts, simply because of the cost. Maybe one day after I win the lottery...

I'll let you know what I think about POR after our trip! It was a hard decision between CSR and Port Orleans for our honeymoon last year, but KatMark glowing recommendation and presence in the CSR thread last year definitely swayed my decision. I'll give you a comparison of the two after we get back =)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #162
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've done two deluxes in our over 20 visits to Disney. We did the Contemporary three times and the Polynesian four. We did these when the kids were little because we didn't really know about any of the other resorts (and there weren't a lot at that time...they were 18 months old the first time each of them went). Personally, I find the monorail overrated, but we did love the Polynesian -- it just had a nice, tropical feeling to us...and we loved the tiki torches and the pool and the food, etc. We enjoyed the Contemporary, but not as much. Once we found the CSR, we just couldn't see spending the money for a deluxe anymore when the CSR has everything we need (including a hot tub and spa which the Poly does not have). And with two boys in college, every penny is squeezed out. We do still want to try the AKL and the Beach Club and will probably do split stays with them somewhere down the road with the CSR. The other deluxes really don't hold that much appeal to us.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #163
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've done two deluxes in our over 20 visits to Disney. We did the Contemporary three times and the Polynesian four. We did these when the kids were little because we didn't really know about any of the other resorts (and there weren't a lot at that time...they were 18 months old the first time each of them went). Personally, I find the monorail overrated, but we did love the Polynesian -- it just had a nice, tropical feeling to us...and we loved the tiki torches and the pool and the food, etc. We enjoyed the Contemporary, but not as much. Once we found the CSR, we just couldn't see spending the money for a deluxe anymore when the CSR has everything we need (including a hot tub and spa which the Poly does not have). And with two boys in college, every penny is squeezed out. We do still want to try the AKL and the Beach Club and will probably do split stays with them somewhere down the road with the CSR. The other deluxes really don't hold that much appeal to us.
We stayed at the Deluxes a lot when I was little (the old Treehouse villas!) But now they've just gotten ridiculous in price, so I lean more towards the values or moderates, especially when I don't go in Value season!

So Bandit has learned how to climb stairs. The catch is, he's terrified of going downstairs! So I've blocked the upstairs with a gate, because otherwise he runs up and whines at the top. Well, I apparently forgot to put up the gate, which he discovered. He's living up to his name ("Bandit") and stealing any clothes he can get his hands on. So I started closing the door to the closet where our laundry basket is...I forgot to close that today too (can you see where this is going?) I was sitting here eating lunch when I realized he was being awfully quiet...so I went upstairs, sure enough, he was there. But not stealing clothes, nope, he got himself inside the basket!! ...And of course he's afraid of heights, so he won't jump out

I caught him red-handed!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #164
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We stayed at the Deluxes a lot when I was little (the old Treehouse villas!) But now they've just gotten ridiculous in price, so I lean more towards the values or moderates, especially when I don't go in Value season!

So Bandit has learned how to climb stairs. The catch is, he's terrified of going downstairs! So I've blocked the upstairs with a gate, because otherwise he runs up and whines at the top. Well, I apparently forgot to put up the gate, which he discovered. He's living up to his name ("Bandit") and stealing any clothes he can get his hands on. So I started closing the door to the closet where our laundry basket is...I forgot to close that today too (can you see where this is going?) I was sitting here eating lunch when I realized he was being awfully quiet...so I went upstairs, sure enough, he was there. But not stealing clothes, nope, he got himself inside the basket!! ...And of course he's afraid of heights, so he won't jump out

I caught him red-handed!

He just wanted to take a nap on the soft clothes, mom.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #165
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He just wanted to take a nap on the soft clothes, mom.
What you don't see in the picture are the 3 pairs of my underwear he dug up and started chewing on!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: