Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Disney Dad Canada
Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and anyone else that will listen

Ride-Free day

Everyone who is a regular to WDW always says not to "Go Commando", that is, to plan out every millisecond of your trip to try to get on every single ride.

Just an idea I had, but wouldn't it be cool to do a "ride free day"? Imagine all the little things you could notice and do?

For example, I'm sure my girls would love Story time with Belle at Fairytale Garden.

What would you include on your "Ride free day"? Pick a park of your choice. I'd like to see how long we can get the list. That way everyone can have good ideas on how to "stop and smell the roses".
Disney Dad Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I did a ride free day at Epcot. Except for Soarin', I rode it once in the morning when I first got there because the wait time was only 10 minutes and I couldn't resist. After that though, I spent the whole day really exploring World Showcase. I watched almost all the performers in the different countries and went to Morocco for the first time. I sat and watched little girls meeting Belle, Snow White and Jasmine. I sat in the back garden in England for the "Beatles" concert. I saw Off Kilter for the first time. I spent alot of time exploring the Living Seas (using the gift shop enterance!) I sat and watched the Jamminators and the Fountain show. I took my time and just wandered. I sat and just watched the ferry boats. I went through Innoventions, something I usually skip. It was a great day. Not sure if I could do the same at Magic Kingdom, but really enjoyed it at Epcot.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, Okay at the MK my "ride free day"" would start with breakfast at the CP. We LOVE the buffet,the Pooh Characters and the CM's at CP are THE BEST!! At Epcot I could easily spend the day in the World Showcase eating and drinking and just sitting down in each country and watching the WORLD go by!! At DHS I could spend the day watching the Street Performers and visiting the Candy Shop and Bakery!! And at the AK the Shows and Animals would certainly keep me busy without riding ANY rides!! Joan
Old 05-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I have not been to WW enough to have a ride-free day.

Sounds like a good idea - for someone else!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

Each trip I find myself trying to do less of the "big" things everyone does and spend more time appreciating the little things. Thinking about doing the Backstage Magic tour next trip. I'd also like to spend more time exploring World Showcase.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
EastonCat
DIS Veteran

We are avowed non-commandos.

The best ride-free in-park day I've done was in AK - we saw the Nemo show and walked the whole park. Okay, I confess that we did the Safari, but that was pretty much it for rides.

The details at AK are stunning and amazing. Buy the Imagineers Touring Guide for the park and learn about the light fixtures and the "pavement" - you'll be hooked. The connecting area between Asia and Africa has many great surprises. With the walk-through attractions, the details around the Tree of Life and pretty much every other nook and cranny, you can spend a day by programming your eyes to pick only one eye level to look at and fill it up with interesting stuff.

My favorite ride-free day, however, was a cabana day at the GF. Decadent and snoozy, with TV and a great view. My second favorite was when we'd rented a house and hung out in the pool with my daughters all day and then I cooked a spectacular meal for my extended family. When it comes down to it, the best days are about the things that are really important, regardless of the setting. Okay, I cheat again, we capped it with Soarin' and Illuminations, but it was basically a ride-free day.
EastonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Ride-free days are fantastic at Epcot!
I could do a few ride free days there alone. The live entertainment is so terrific. Add in a meal or two, some really good investigating/shopping/etc. in each of the pavilions, and top it off with Illuminations- and you have had one wonderful day. (and I didn't even mention DATW )

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
vegetablegirl
Mouseketeer

I think a ride-free day at Disney's Hollywood Studios would also be a lot of fun. You could check out the streetmosphere (GREAT fun. I love those guys), watch the parade and jam out, and catch Fantasmic! at the end of the day. It would also be a good chance to go meet Mickey. Oh! And you could go to the Animation Courtyard and draw a character. Exploring that whole area would be a lot of fun.

Another thing I like to do is just hang out around the Tower of Terror and see the reactions of those heading towards the ride, those leaving the ride, and those currently on the ride ("AAAH" is the general consensus on that one).
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
cyberbox2
DIS Veteran

One could easily spend a whole day just riding from one Disney resort to the other, getting out and walking around each one. The level of detail that goes into these resorts is something that deserves that extra attention just to fully appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad Canada View Post
Everyone who is a regular to WDW always says not to "Go Commando", that is, to plan out every millisecond of your trip to try to get on every single ride.

Just an idea I had, but wouldn't it be cool to do a "ride free day"? Imagine all the little things you could notice and do?

For example, I'm sure my girls would love Story time with Belle at Fairytale Garden.

What would you include on your "Ride free day"? Pick a park of your choice. I'd like to see how long we can get the list. That way everyone can have good ideas on how to "stop and smell the roses".
Val & I just did a whole weekend (Friday - Monday) and only did one attraction (they aren't rides in Disney-speak) the whole time. We love just wandering around the parks noticing all the little stuff and doing some people watching. For the most detail stuff, I think AK is probably the best but all the parks have a lot that most people miss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: