Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
docmidnite
Earning My Ears

Club Level. Is it worth it?

Hi all -

I am in the process of planning another(!) trip for the fall as a surprise to my GF. We've stayed at the Coronado, Wilderness before and I've stayed all over as well. I'm looking at the Wilderness again as well as the Polynesian. My question is, do you feel upgrading to club level is worth it? How is the service? Are the rooms different?

Thanks for the feedback!

"Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world."

- Robert Kennedy
docmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

IMHO, the more important question is "Can you afford it".

I never thought staying at a deluxe over a moderate was "worth it" until my wife pointed out that we could afford it.

So we switched to the Poly and I will never go back.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Plutes
Mouseketeer

If you can afford it, definitely go for it!

We stayed CL at the Animal Kingdom Villas last year, thanks to DVC, and we're doing it again this December, taking my parents with us.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it is in terms of money, since we used our points, but we loved every aspect of it, from the snacks and drinks, to the ease of making changes to reservations. If you want to feel 'spoiled' on your trip, Club Level is definitely the way to go!

Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
... I'm looking at the Wilderness again as well as the Polynesian. My question is, do you feel upgrading to club level is worth it? ...
Yes, if we get a good rate, room view, plan on using the lounge and if we actually like the club being considered. There are difference in resort clubs too. We have stayed club at WL and PR and prefer PR. Stayed countless time at PR Club MK view and have no desire to stay club at WL again. PR has a true lounge (seating area), WL does not (hallway seating). PR in our numerous stays have always provided solid beverage and food services. WL was spotty and neglected (empty dishes, burning hot items) the food area on numerous evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
... How is the service? Are the rooms different? Thanks for the feedback!
Rooms are the same, but normally the club is on either a dedicated floor or building with access controls. Rooms are just like all the other rooms. Service is not what it use to be and omissions and errors are common. Services are limited and do not compare to non-Disney concierge. Also new Disney ADR technology now makes the IPO less important too...though it is nice to have a set of CMs ready to assist during your stay.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

My family and I always stay Club Level because we think it makes our time at WDW that much more enjoyable, so we think it's worth it. However that's something you need to decide for yourself. Also the only exception where some Club Level rooms are different would be the standard rooms on the 14th floor of the Tower Club at the Contemporary, because they don't look like the renovated rooms on their other floors and the 12th floor Atrium Club.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
iheartdolewhips
DIS Veteran

I personally don't think it's worth it unless you have the money to spare easily or if it's a super special trip (like say, a big anniversary rather than a regular trip). The rooms are not different than the other rooms in the hotel. We were magically upgraded at the Polynesian from a standard room to concierge level last month. It was definitely nice and we enjoyed it, but I don't think it would have been worth the extra money that upgrade would have cost. Having the snacks was nice and they were tasty, but we certainly didn't eat anywhere near that amount of money from the lounge. They also will make dining reservations and such for you too, but I already do that myself, so it's not a service I feel that I need.

After staying concierge level, I can see why it's nice and why people love it. I'm sure I'll pay to stay there at some point in the future even, but probably not until I'm celebrating at least 10 years of marriage or if we get rich and can easily afford it. Otherwise, I'd rather have that money to go towards my next vacation. Try to look at pictures and find out what snacks are served at the concierge level you're considering (I have some Polynesian ones fif you're interested), think about what services of concierge level you would use, and then compare the cost difference and see if it seems worth it to you.

Canceled our May trip because I broke my tailbone.

Resorts we have stayed at: Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Polynesian
I have also stayed at: All Star Music and Pop Century
Favorite Restaurants: Kona Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and T-Rex
iheartdolewhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

Club Level is a nice added perk/service. Is it worth the money? Probably not but it is sure nice to have the added services.

Someone else just posted a similar question. You can read http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2432594 to see the responses they received.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
damone
DIS Veteran

Having done it once, I can honestly say, I thought it was a silly waste of money.
damone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damone View Post
Having done it once, I can honestly say, I thought it was a silly waste of money.

Money is relevent to the person who is spending it; to you it may be a silly waste of money, to another person it may not be a silly waste of money. The same can be said for many other purchases we make. One person who buys a Hyundai Accent may think it's silly to spend the money on a Ford Fusion. And the person who spends on a Ford Fusion thinks it's silly to spend the money on a Mercedes E-class. The same thing for how much home we buy, how much we spend on our clothes, tv's, appliances and etc.

If one want's to spend on CL and can afford it then there is nothing silly about it, nor a waste of money. Spend and be happy, or save and be happy; neither is silly and to each their own.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
TJA
DIS Veteran

I was just going to post the link to a recent thread, but I see someone above beat me to it. Be sure to read that thread as there were close to 100 replies in there, I think.

In any event, just to add my thoughts here on your thread -- for us, making club level "worth it" is if we plan our trip around it. Meaning making our main ADR dining ressie at lunch time and then planning to have our breakfast and the hot appetizers in the lounge. Since we'd be eating our big meal at lunch at a nice restaurant, we feel that the appetizer-type food offered in the lounge at night is just perfect for us. And they offer beer and wine during that time frame as well (5:00-7:00 pm). It's a GREAT time for us to relax after being at a park all day, cool off, and just unwind. Then we enjoy the resort, swim, explore, and then plan to get the desserts and hot decaf coffee or tea offered later at night.

We find the club level type of trip totally fun and relaxing. It's a lot of extra money, so we'd only stay concierge if we planned our trip accordingly as explained above.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
damone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
If one want's to spend on CL and can afford it then there is nothing silly about it, nor a waste of money. Spend and be happy, or save and be happy; neither is silly and to each their own.
True enough.

Everyone told us that with 3 kids it would well worth it. I think a lot depends on the type of traveler you are. We don't bother eating at the resort much. We do character meals and stuff like that. We're never at the resort for lunch. And for dinner, we'll eat at Epcot, character meal, or a resort restaurant. The extra $100+ per night for the occassional soda, crackers or gummy bears wasn't worth it for us.

As for using concierge, I went to them once in 2 weeks, to try and get a last minute reservation, which they were unable to do. I enjoy planning. I just had no use for their services. Don't misunderstand me, they were very nice. But I'd rather save that money, and wait for 2 minutes to speak to someone at the front desk who is just as nice.
damone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
bethko1
Earning My Ears

My family loves it. Even though we do the DDP, we use the lounge for breakfast, snacks and drinks. Also the service is wonderful!! I tried to change reservations from Tony's to Le Cellier the day of through the regular resort concerige and was told there was nothing open. Then I stopped by the CL concerige and their response was "which time would you like?" Gotta love that!
bethko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Money is relevent to the person who is spending it; to you it may be a silly waste of money, to another person it may not be a silly waste of money. The same can be said for many other purchases we make. One person who buys a Hyundai Accent may think it's silly to spend the money on a Ford Fusion. And the person who spends on a Ford Fusion thinks it's silly to spend the money on a Mercedes E-class. The same thing for how much home we buy, how much we spend on our clothes, tv's, appliances and etc.

Very nicely said...

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
kittycat9
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Excellent post.

We are doing some things that are a little more complex, planning wise, this trip with several extras thrown in to celebrate my son's birthday. I have also have a hectic schedule with a special needs child - AND will be out of town on my anniversary weekend when my ADR scheduling window opens up. So I for one am very grateful to have the opportunity to stay CL this time. I don't know that we'll always be able to, but we can this time - and we're splurging quite a bit all around for this trip. I also think it will be nice being able to take my time to get ready in the morning, but no worry about my children getting a healthy, timely breakfast. Further - we're stacking CL with DxDP, so that we can use double credit for signature dining at night (we're even working in date nights for DH and I, so room service for the boys and the sitter service) and special dinner/shows with the kids, character meals, etc. We're doing our best to make this vacation the best for all of us, CL access is just a key to that equation - but the 'food' is only a portion... IPO is a bigger piece of that puzzle for us to ensure that our vacation is planned and executed well and not wasted.

11.27 - 12.07.10 YC CL
Mar 2009 - POR
Nov 2001 - Off-site
kittycat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
DIS B
Mouseketeer

I think it depends if you receive a discount on it (although we have not stayed CL yet, but will in our upcoming trip). There is no way I would pay 150 dollars a night for just me and my husband. We happened to get an amazing deal and that's why we decided to do it.
DIS B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club level, disney, resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: