DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
dhardawa
DIS Veteran

DVC Renter Newbie Questions

I can't quite figure out where this post should go so forgive me if this isn't the place.

I'm looking to rent DVC points for a ****** trip. (More than 1 year out) I have never done this before so I really don't know where to start. I have calculated the necessary points so I have made it that far. My questions now are:

When should I try to book this?
How can I be sure the person I am renting from is reputable?
What should I expect in a contract?
How does checkin and being there work?
Should I use a broker vs. an individual?

I'm a very cautious person by nature so this is going to make me a nervous wreck. I'm terrified of getting scammed so I really need to know what to look for, how to protect myself, etc.

Thanks!

Edited to remove trip specifics. Edits appear in Brown - Room type and resort info also removed - Chuck S

Last edited by Chuck S; 08-19-2010 at 09:40 AM.
dhardawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I would start by going to the Rent/Trade board here in the DVC boards and reading the stickies that are posted there. I think most of your questions will be answered.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardawa View Post
Should I use a broker vs. an individual?

I'm a very cautious person by nature so this is going to make me a nervous wreck. I'm terrified of getting scammed so I really need to know what to look for, how to protect myself, etc.
if you are nervous, i'd just use a broker or pay a little more and book it with disney directly.

whether you use a broker or rent from a DVC owner, you will most likely have little or no ability to cancel or change the reservation later, so be aware that you need to have your dates nailed down.

an owner at the DVC resort you prefer can book at 11 months out. there might still be availability at 7 months out - when any DVC owner can book there - or there might not.

once you check-in, the reservation is yours. prior to check-in, it is owned by the DVC owner. on a stay on points, you will only get some form of mousekeeping every fourth day or so. you will get all the onsite perks (EMH, DME if you want it, free parking at the parks, DDP if you arrange it beforehand with the DVC owner) - but you will not be eligible for DVC member perks (like pool hopping, dining discounts or free internet).

here is a good thread to start:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1669863

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It would not be worth the savings to me, if it is going to make you a nervous wreck.

While most rentals go off without a hitch, it is a private agreement between two people, who you most likely do not know.

If there is a problem, those two people are the only ones that will be involved in solving it, unless there is proof of criminal activity.

The DVC member owns your reservation until you check in. So yes you have to trust them. Contracts will not protect you from scammers, they do make sure that each party understands the procedure.

The best advice has been given, read and read again all the info listed on the Rent/Trade forum.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
speicher46
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

DVC members can rent out points at their home resort 11 months in advance and all other resorts 7 months in advance. I guess that would give you an idea of when to book. I have rented my points out twice before and I too am a very cautious person. Both times I have rented however have been very good experiences. Of course you should always use caution but I believe most people on the rent/trade board are very reputable and they are all big Disney fans ! I currently have around 900 points for rent but like I said I can only book 7-11 months out. I normally only use PayPal and the renter sends me the money only after they have a confirmed reservation through DVC. It is really a very simple process. Good Luck.
speicher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you are a nervous wreck just thinking about it, why bother? Just rent directly from Disney and have the peace of mind that goes along with that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: