Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #151
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
How fun! New Orleans is such a great place! Do you know where you will be staying yet? What a conundrum on the trip planning front, though! Like Anita said, I know you will figure it all out. How does DH feel about driving down with the boys all by himself?

I hear ya about the pool opening on Memorial Day and the bathing suit! Ours opens then, too, but I haven't even thought about squeezing myself into a bathing suit yet.

Hi ya! I have been to New Orleans before, last September I had a training, or I guess it was two Septembers ago, but we stayed at the "W" hotel there. REALLY nice. The conference training is something that they pay everything for, so I don't get to pick the place. I don't know all the details yet. I am looking forward to going! YES the trip planning! I did get a second Yak and Yeti ADR for the other morning/lunch time we will be at the AK, so that at least will allow me to get that in! DH and the boys can have QS all day on the 20th, if I can't be there until after noon.... but you KNOW I am NOT missing my Le Cellier Dinner!!!!

Oh, but I will say I have just figured out that that stinker of a husband of mine was trolling the Disney website looking at room prices from the 18th - 20th, so if he even THINKS he is going to go to Disney for three days WITHOUT me, while I am at training, he is going to owe me a FALL trip I about died when I saw that. Now he might be thinking in terms of self preserverance, taking on two boys for four days without mom does require distractions, and Disney gives that! So I am curious what he has up his sleeves... he is still sleeping right now, but I will be ALL over this later today!!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #152
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great professional opportunity... congratulations! I am confident you guys will figure something out and the new arrangements will probably be even better than the old ones! Keep us posted.

And ugh to the thought of bathing suits. Guess I'd best be hitting the old treadmill too...

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #153
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

I thinking he is brave to add more Disney time... and do the drive alone. Congrats on the conference and presenting.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #154
stace208
DIS Veteran

Congrats on a great opportunity! I hope you are able to sneak out of there early so you can get to WDW.
Unless, of course, your DH ends up down there many days before you! Is he considering driving by himself? Seems like the autotrain on the way down would be better!
Have a great Sunday!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #155
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Sounds like a great professional opportunity... congratulations! I am confident you guys will figure something out and the new arrangements will probably be even better than the old ones! Keep us posted.

And ugh to the thought of bathing suits. Guess I'd best be hitting the old treadmill too...
Well I think it is all squared away now, and I managed to fix a few things, I will update with the details tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
I thinking he is brave to add more Disney time... and do the drive alone. Congrats on the conference and presenting.
Well he is tossing around a few changes that make it work, so I will share all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
Congrats on a great opportunity! I hope you are able to sneak out of there early so you can get to WDW.
Unless, of course, your DH ends up down there many days before you! Is he considering driving by himself? Seems like the autotrain on the way down would be better!
Have a great Sunday!
Yes, well we made arrangements and they are for the best, so I will give ya all the latest in a little bit!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #157
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #158
Happydog
DIS Veteran

A few bumps we had to smooth!

Hiya everyone!

Well, we got our crazy unexpected curve ball resolved!

DH, after a little more research, decided to take the autotrain down to Disney one way! While our AP gave him a great rate at a moderate resort OR a Value (he thought about that, too!) he was able to get the Auto train for the three of them with the sleeper compartment (like we had last summer) for $500.00. This gets the three of them a place to sleep, dinner and breakfast, and a relaxing trip down, vs. driving solo. To go earlier would have been nice, too, he could get the cheap coach train seats for $300.00 and a moderate for the same $, so closer to $600.00 (and more like $500.00 if he had gone value!) but we both agreed that it is a really hectic time of year -- those final few days, wrapping everything up, grading, classrooms, et al, and without me being there, it would be even more so for him at home, etc. So instead, he can leave as we had expected, on Saturday -- but earlier than we would have -- and have a nice trip, enjoy free wine and cheese, and relax on his way down. The kids love it, and this way I am not worried about him and them driving with no back up help.

If all goes according to plan, we will be arriving in Orlando about the same time! I will take the ME to BLT and they will have already checked in and gotten sorted out (who knows, maybe even the room! So I don't have to schlep the luggage!!!! )

This is if I can get out of the early session on the 20th -- a little earlier than we would normally end. I think the prospects are good for that. Leaving LATE, on the the 19th, that is a long shot, but I will see once I get all the paperwork! There is a flight out of New Orleans that gets me to MCO at 11:30am, and that works pretty fine all considering. I hope to get to BLT by 12:30pm... I am only bringing a carry-on so that will help the process at the airport...

So we will probably change our Itinerary for the 20th a bit, and I already made an ADR for Yak and Yeti on our OTHER AK am day! SCORE!! So the boys will just do QS for lunch on the 20th, and hopefully will go to AK anyhow, or, will just relax at the pool at the Contemporary until I get there.

All in all, a good choice for us. I will be away from work for over two weeks, which makes me laugh, since four days I will be at the training, and then I will be on vacation for the week and a few days following! A great way to start the summer, though, right??!!

In OTHER NEWS...

We have Birthday parties for the boys all lined up and booked, and that will fill the two weekends before I head out. And if all goes well, my new landscaping and patio will be finished by then, too, and we can have a send off BBQ for DH's birthday that final weekend.

I ordered blank Tshirts from Jiffyshirts today. So excited to make those up! And I went through all the boys shoes and ordered new Keens for DS4 and and flip flops for both! I had already just got them new sneakers. I am getting new crocs for them as well, (Bday gifts from Grandma -- the others are really worn on the bottom! -- just gotta get them to decide on the colors!)... Can you tell they were needing new footwear ??!!

Checked swim wear, ordered new swim trunks for DS7 and pulled all the pairs that fit DS4 (he gets the hand-me-downs I am afraid The plight of the second child!!!)

I am organizing all of their Disney Tshirts for park touring next week, and will take a few pics so you can see ...
And LASTLY...

I will hit FIFTY DAYS TIL DISNEY this week. THAT is CRAZY.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #159
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The autotrain is such a great solution.
You are so organized I need to get my act together.
The end of the school year is just so busy. When does school end for you? We end on June 25th in NYC. My third graders are antsy already.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #160
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

The autotrain sounds like a great solution -- I must confess, I would be worried about making that drive all by myself, so my inner Piglet is quite pleased that DH went with the train idea. Although, I was hoping you would be able to snag a fall trip out of it all!

Can't wait to see all the shirts you are pulling together for vacation!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #161
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great solution! I know you would have been worried about him driving overnight alone, now he can relax on the train and you can relax knowing that they are safe

Jared could so relate to your younger DS and the hand me downs, I'm afraid he gets stuck with them too. He's actually pretty good about it though - thankfully!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #162
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
The autotrain is such a great solution.
You are so organized I need to get my act together.
The end of the school year is just so busy. When does school end for you? We end on June 25th in NYC. My third graders are antsy already.
Hey there! Yes, we think so best on many accounts, so I am glad the deal was still available for the train.

I have a lot to get square still... working on itineraries, etc. Still have time! We end school on the 16th for students, 17th for teachers. 1/2 day for younger kids on the 16th and the final week and a half at the high school is final exam week so not much going on. My DS4 goes to Montessori and that ends the week before, so my DMIL will be over the week leading up to vacation since he wont have school and I will be gone for most of that week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
The autotrain sounds like a great solution -- I must confess, I would be worried about making that drive all by myself, so my inner Piglet is quite pleased that DH went with the train idea. Although, I was hoping you would be able to snag a fall trip out of it all!

Can't wait to see all the shirts you are pulling together for vacation!

Oh I was a bit worried, truly, also because I know that end of school year fatigue. So it works out right. Well, that fall trip is not completely out of the question, though I forget that I AM going to DisneyLAND...

Waiting to get the shirts then will share the designs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Sounds like a great solution! I know you would have been worried about him driving overnight alone, now he can relax on the train and you can relax knowing that they are safe

Jared could so relate to your younger DS and the hand me downs, I'm afraid he gets stuck with them too. He's actually pretty good about it though - thankfully!
I know it is unfortunate! But I bought some nice stuff for the older one and darn it, I am getting my money's worth!!! He really doesn't care, either -- and when you get stuff that is nicely made and take care of it, it looks brand new anyhow! He gets a few special things now and then! He got a really special something in the mail from CP's Connor! It will be shown soon!

Yes, I will relax that is true! I am not used to traveling solo without my DH -- he normally comes on all my training trips, but a few friends of mine are also attending and so that should make it really fun!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #163
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I just had the autotrain feeling! It sounds perfect to me...
Everything is falling into place.
Can't wait to see the new shoes and shirts!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #164
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Autotrain sounds great. That worked so well last time and will be nice for DH to be able to relax a bit (and wine & cheese don't hurt either!).

Everything sounds great! You teachers are going to start making me jealous with your summer vacation plans. I know how hard you work during the year and you absolutely deserve but I will confess now to being a wee tiny bit jealous.

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #165
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post

DH, after a little more research, decided to take the autotrain down to Disney one way! but we both agreed that it is a really hectic time of year -- those final few days, wrapping everything up, grading, classrooms, et al, and without me being there, it would be even more so for him at home, etc. So instead, he can leave as we had expected, on Saturday -- but earlier than we would have -- and have a nice trip, enjoy free wine and cheese, and relax on his way down. The kids love it, and this way I am not worried about him and them driving with no back up help.

All in all, a good choice for us. I will be away from work for over two weeks, which makes me laugh, since four days I will be at the training, and then I will be on vacation for the week and a few days following! A great way to start the summer, though, right??!!

In OTHER NEWS...

We have Birthday parties for the boys all lined up and booked, and that will fill the two weekends before I head out. And if all goes well, my new landscaping and patio will be finished by then, too, and we can have a send off BBQ for DH's birthday that final weekend.

I ordered blank Tshirts from Jiffyshirts today. So excited to make those up! And I went through all the boys shoes and ordered new Keens for DS4 and and flip flops for both! I had already just got them new sneakers. I am getting new crocs for them as well, (Bday gifts from Grandma -- the others are really worn on the bottom! -- just gotta get them to decide on the colors!)... Can you tell they were needing new footwear ??!!

Checked swim wear, ordered new swim trunks for DS7 and pulled all the pairs that fit DS4 (he gets the hand-me-downs I am afraid The plight of the second child!!!)

I am organizing all of their Disney Tshirts for park touring next week, and will take a few pics so you can see ...
And LASTLY...

I will hit FIFTY DAYS TIL DISNEY this week. THAT is CRAZY.
So much Disney planning!
Glad everything is falling into place.

I totally agree on making it as easy as possible on the hubby. You want him to be in a good mood to start a trip.

New shoes, new shirts, new swim trunks....
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: