Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #46
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Most of the time, I've seen nothing but raves for Il Mulino. But I think I've seen someone post they have eaten twice within a 3 day period, once with excellent service, and the second time with the crappy service you had. They said if the bad experience happened the first time they went, they wouldn't have returned.

I still want to try Il Mulino but hopefully not have your server.
Exactly. Every review I've seen of the place has been outstanding. I think I sometimes just attract bad luck when it comes to service - at least once a trip(Feb 09 - Citywalk place, July 09 - Yachtsman, Oct 09 - Kouzziana, Dec 09 - Mama Melrose, Feb 10 - end of V&A) I guess 1 bad meal a trip out of many isn't a bad record.

I'm giving it another shot come October w/ my husband. The food was very good & hopefully I don't get the same server either.

Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Il Mulino was our favorite restaurant on our February trip. Hoping it will be again in October. I'm glad the manager took care of you.
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #48
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I really like the look of that pasta dish!!!!! Sorry about the LOUSY service !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #49
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Il Mulino was our favorite restaurant on our February trip. Hoping it will be again in October. I'm glad the manager took care of you.
As was I

I should open that wine tonight since I'm going to have lemon shrimp ravoli - I think it fits enough for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I really like the look of that pasta dish!!!!! Sorry about the LOUSY service !!
It was really good!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #50
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Dinner

California Grill

After an extremely relaxing 80 minutes of massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, I spent some time in the steam rooms & got dressed. I walked to the shops at the Grand Floridian where I ended up spoiling myself for the 2nd time that day & buying myself something impractical.

With the Annual Pass discount – I got 10% off so the price hurt a little bit less.

By this point in the day, I had splurged more than cost of my hotel room on myself. What was splurging a bit more?

Around 5:15pm, I went to the podium at the 2nd floor of the Contemporary and inquired if I would be able to walk in. While they said there may be a table available, I was more than welcomed to sit at the bar as the restaurant isn’t opening until 5:30pm anyway.

I began with a Ray-Ray - $9.00 from the cocktail menu while I looked over the menu for this evening as there was still 15 minutes before the kitchen opened for the evening..

This is a sweeter pineapple drink that was perfect w/ a decent amount of alcohol in it too

Dinner Menu:

There were many things on the menu that appealed to me but I wasn’t sure how full I would be. Thus talking with the awesome bartender, I would order one course then decide if I wanted something else. As the restaurant opened at 5:30pm – I ordered a second drink – Pomegranate COZ - $9

I began with Creamy Spring Onion Soup w/ Toasted Sourdough, Gruyere Cheese & Chives – $11

I’m not the biggest soup lover but this sounded really good to me & I was surprised by how much I liked it. It was thick & cheesy. The onion taste was there but not extremely overpowering. If it was on the menu again, I would have a hard time deciding between this appetizer and something different it was that good.

Still hungry, I ordered a second course –
Crispy Asian Rock Shrimp Salad w/ Florida Citrus, Red Onions, Soy Reduction & Wasabi Cream - $17

I had this back in October & loved it then. The wasabi cream & soy reduction make an excellent dressing for the salad. The rock shrimp were hot and cooked exactly how I like them.

When I finished, I realized I still had enough room to enjoy another menu item that looked appealing to me:
Braised Beef w/ Thai Coconut Cury, Mango Pickles, Bok Choy, Sesame and Triple Cheese - $13

Amazing! It definitely was a different kind of flatbread with the flavor profiles presented. I could tell it is something my husband would never enjoy. Although I couldn’t finish it as my eyes were bigger than my stomach.

I had paired this course with some Jack & Coke as I felt the sweeter drinkers wouldn’t work well with this flatbread. My server agreed with that choice as I also didn’t feel like switching to wine after drinking liquor.

Over the course of the 2 hours I spent here, the restaurant was rather quiet. Wishes wasn’t until 10pm that evening so California Grill was less noisy than it usually was. For it being Easter Sunday – the bartenders & some of the servers I spoke with agreed it was rather dead for the occasion. I was the only one eating at the bar until I left at 7:15pm – maybe 2 or 3 parties got a drink before they went on their way to a table. The main bartender I dealt with was AMAZING! She was funny, made all the alcoholic beverages quickly (including some strange requests) and we both had a good laugh when we saw someone’s child *rolling* on the floor as the parents didn’t even care which spawned a conversation about the lack of table manners nowadays (Seriously, if I acted like that as a child as I see many children today – my mother would have either spanked me or made us leave. ) We talked about our pets – as when she moved to the US from Scotland she had to leave her King Charles Spaniels behind but has since become more of a cat person since living in Orlando (long hours away from home make cats easier for her and husband’s schedule)

The evening here was amazing and like what California Grill was before the masses descended about it for the fireworks show.

Meal: $83.81
Total Trip Cost: $309.03

Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #51
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I love that purse and will be buying one for myself when we visit WDW in August.

Cali grill looked delicious
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #52
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wonderful review of CG. The soup looks really good
Love the purse to
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #53
NorweJenNY
Always expanding my knowledge of the World

I got a kick outta your title, as we had an impromptu trip over Easter weekend too! Same reasoning... I had extra time off of work! My kids didn't have school, and dh just became more flexible with his work schedule, so off we went! And those APs were just itching in our pockets...

Love the picture-filled review!

Apr '96-Offsite / Dec '01-Jan '02-Honeymoon - CBR / Apr '03-Off Property / Jul '04 - OKW
Jul '06-Offsite / Aug '07-POP / May '08-OKW / Jun '08-SSR / Jul '09-POR & WL / Sep-Oct '09-ASMo
Dec '09-POFQ & VWL / Feb '10-Offsite / Apr '10-Offsite / May '10-BCV, SSR, & POFQ / Aug '11-POP
Oct '11-POR / Dec '11-10th Anniversary - BWV / Jan '12-BCV / May '12-AKV
Sep '12 - POR / Aug '13-OKW / Mar '14-AKV / May '14-SSR

Next trip... Sept '14 - AS-Sp

NorweJenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #54
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

That soup looks wonderful!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #55
pirateofthecarolinas
AIN'T ain't a word!
Guilty of stalking Deb Wills on the monorail
Sometimes hides from her children
Married a bra strap cutter

I'm surprised that CG didn't have a prefixed menu for Easter Sunday.

We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves. Drink up me hearties, yo ho. We're devils and black sheep-really bad eggs.
pirateofthecarolinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #56
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I haven't been back to the Cali Grill in years. In general I've always thought the food wasn't as good as it could be and most of the hype comes from the location... I have to say, the food reviews keep getting more and more tantalizing. I'm re-assessing going in October...hmmmm....
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #57
angel26
Earning My Ears

Great reviews can't wait to here more.
angel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #58
athenna
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting a long time for a new, really, cool tag..., but I was hit by a drive by tagging instead!

Awesome review!

I dont always read food trip reports, because as much as I love them, it's hard for me to keep up with them, because sometimes I can only get on the DIS on weekends. ...But decided to follow a couple...I'm loving your report You've eaten at some of my fav spots so far!
Sorry about your service !@ Il Mulino. I havent eaten there yet, but kuddos to the manager for trying to make it right.

I have to say I am totally outraged that Yak & Yeti took the Pho off the menu Why must WDW dumb down so many menus??? Pho was the 1st meal I ever had @ Yak & Yeti and I loved it!

Cant wait for the rest of the report.

I got engaged 1/24/10 in Epcot
athenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #59
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Great reviews! I'm so jealous of your trip!! And your bag!!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #60
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I love that purse and will be buying one for myself when we visit WDW in August.

Cali grill looked delicious
Oh yay! I've been using it every day since & well my coworkers might think I'm strange but in a male dominent work environment I need something thats just me!

It was delicious I want to go back already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wonderful review of CG. The soup looks really good
Love the purse to
Thanks! I was shocked by how much I really enjoyed that soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorweJenNY View Post
I got a kick outta your title, as we had an impromptu trip over Easter weekend too! Same reasoning... I had extra time off of work! My kids didn't have school, and dh just became more flexible with his work schedule, so off we went! And those APs were just itching in our pockets...

Love the picture-filled review!
Thats too funny! Living close w/ APs is just dangerous but a good type of dangerous.

I'm going to be AP less for about 2.5 months but thats because when we go in October we'll be upgrading to the two-coast APs as we plan on visiting Disneyland next year & it works out cheaper. Plus my husband will be allowed to finally visit the water parks & DisneyQuest this trip as he's yet to do those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
That soup looks wonderful!!!!
It was so good too & I'm really not much of a creamy soup person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofthecarolinas View Post
I'm surprised that CG didn't have a prefixed menu for Easter Sunday.
I believe they only do that on the big fireworks day - 4th of July & New Year's Eve. I have a chance I may actually be going on 4th of July this year if I don't have to work. Thus that trip will be impromptu also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I haven't been back to the Cali Grill in years. In general I've always thought the food wasn't as good as it could be and most of the hype comes from the location... I have to say, the food reviews keep getting more and more tantalizing. I'm re-assessing going in October...hmmmm....
I'll admit Cali Grill isn't as nice as it used to be but I think its more atmosphere why I don't like it anymore. As the secret got out about the fireworks, you see families dragging their overtired children to a 'fancy' meal & them just not having it. I'm still one that believes Signature places = business casual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel26 View Post
Great reviews can't wait to here more.
Thanks! 1 more review left which I hope to get to today - if not today, definately this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenna View Post
Awesome review!

I dont always read food trip reports, because as much as I love them, it's hard for me to keep up with them, because sometimes I can only get on the DIS on weekends. ...But decided to follow a couple...I'm loving your report You've eaten at some of my fav spots so far!
Sorry about your service !@ Il Mulino. I havent eaten there yet, but kuddos to the manager for trying to make it right.

I have to say I am totally outraged that Yak & Yeti took the Pho off the menu Why must WDW dumb down so many menus??? Pho was the 1st meal I ever had @ Yak & Yeti and I loved it!

Cant wait for the rest of the report.
I know! I'm sad Yak & Yeti has definately removed their more exotic food probably to feed the masses as I know I'm see on the dis people talking about how nasty it was (but I also have a feeling they didn't know what Pho was before they ordered it) I'll still keep going there though as its the best food in the Animal Kingdom.

I'm glad my report is one of the ones you started to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Great reviews! I'm so jealous of your trip!! And your bag!!!
Thanks! You have a trip coming up soon too right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: