Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

Our sad trip....

We had a seven day in-the-park trip planned and landed in sunny Orlando on this last Sunday, May 9th. After an afternoon of swimming in the pool, we headed to bed fairly early for a big day in Magic Kingdom on Monday. Shortly after going to bed, we got a call that my husband's father had a heart-attack and was being life-flighted out to another town. Family told us not to come home yet, that they thought they had him stabilized, so after much discussion, hubby and I made the decision to stay and play it by ear. We went to our first day in the park and had a wonderful Magic Kingdom day- even though we kept in touch with family all day and did a lot of worrying- we managed to make some good memories. Next morning we got up, headed to Disney Studios and rode Rocking Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror with virtually no waiting- over and over. About two hours in, we got the news that it didn't look good, that my father-in-law had started to bleed in his brain (stroke) and it was just a matter of time before he passed.

There we were, on the trip that we all had dreamed about for so long, and were so excited for- and getting the news that Dad was dying. Absolute devastation. We left the park immediately and arranged our flight- Southwest was amazing and got us on early the next morning- which was today. They didn't charge us anything extra. Disney staff were amazing- not only were they comforting, but they credited us six days at the park, so we didn't lose our money.

Dad died sometime early this morning, and left behind a sweet, amazing woman, and many kids and grandkids. He will be missed more than words can say. We flew in this morning, and will move forward with our lives. But we are looking forward to a time soon when we can return and carry on with our dream trip. And while we are there, we will put dad's name on a balloon, say a few words to him, and let the balloon fly away in his memory. We love you Dad.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
CdnDisneyFan
Tigger, he is oh so cute!
Talk about the Disney spirit!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family!

Jules

WDW too many times to mention all offsite.
11-02 ASMO, first time onsite!!
Sept 17-24 2005, Candy Cane Inn
Nov 15-22, 2010 Pop Century with my bestest friend to celebrate my birthday and her unbirthday, and with free dining too, how can we complain!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
visitingapril09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilynn42 View Post
We had a seven day in-the-park trip planned and landed in sunny Orlando on this last Sunday, May 9th. After an afternoon of swimming in the pool, we headed to bed fairly early for a big day in Magic Kingdom on Monday. Shortly after going to bed, we got a call that my husband's father had a heart-attack and was being life-flighted out to another town. Family told us not to come home yet, that they thought they had him stabilized, so after much discussion, hubby and I made the decision to stay and play it by ear. We went to our first day in the park and had a wonderful Magic Kingdom day- even though we kept in touch with family all day and did a lot of worrying- we managed to make some good memories. Next morning we got up, headed to Disney Studios and rode Rocking Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror with virtually no waiting- over and over. About two hours in, we got the news that it didn't look good, that my father-in-law had started to bleed in his brain (stroke) and it was just a matter of time before he passed.

There we were, on the trip that we all had dreamed about for so long, and were so excited for- and getting the news that Dad was dying. Absolute devastation. We left the park immediately and arranged our flight- Southwest was amazing and got us on early the next morning- which was today. They didn't charge us anything extra. Disney staff were amazing- not only were they comforting, but they credited us six days at the park, so we didn't lose our money.

Dad died sometime early this morning, and left behind a sweet, amazing woman, and many kids and grandkids. He will be missed more than words can say. We flew in this morning, and will move forward with our lives. But we are looking forward to a time soon when we can return and carry on with our dream trip. And while we are there, we will put dad's name on a balloon, say a few words to him, and let the balloon fly away in his memory. We love you Dad.
Oh, I am so very sorry for your loss.....
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
djblu883
DIS Veteran

Unhappy Condolences

So very sorry for your loss !
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
disneydreamer98
Lifelong Disney Lover

So sorry for your loss and sending prayers and pixie dust for these difficult days ahead of you all.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Prayers of comfort for your family in the days ahead. He will be smiling down on you when you are back there thinking of him.

It is very nice to hear that everyone was so caring toward you during this difficult situation.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
jdyrogrs
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry for your loss and you an d your family will be there in my prayers. I hope you get over it soon. God be with you!!

It was a very good thing that you got the flights back to you place and got the full support for the Disney Staff and also credited you six days at the park. It seems that Disney Staff did really live up to the expectation and its word about caring for the customers. This is the case with almost all the vacation package providers, they provide such good service and live beyond the expectation of the visitors.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
sweetpea29488
Mouseketeer

Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Mrs. D
Do YOU have your own Minnie?

Awwwwww....

So sorry for your loss....
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

So, so sorry for your loss-
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Sorry for your loss.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for your kind words- it's so appreciated.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
JLR
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry for your loss. I respect you for your willingness to cut your trip short to be with the family. I hope you get back soon.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I'm am so very sorry for your loss How heartbreaking I'm so glad the airlines and Disney CM's were so gracious to your family. I can sympathize with a similar circumstance - take care and know that someday you will return and be able to fly off that balloon in honor of your father-in-law!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
gellybean
DIS Veteran

So very sorry for your loss. I am, however, comforted by the way you were treated by both SW and Disney in circumstances such as yours. It's good to know that companies still exist that don't take advantage of such sad times in the lives of their customers.

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: