Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #121
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry you had a poor experience, I know my answers cannot change what happened but may add a little more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
I do think makeup would have set better if we had been given a wet wipe or a wash cloth to wipe our face prior to experience starting.
Any chance you were wearing sunscreen? DRC (Disney Reservation Center, who actually makes the reservations) is supposed to say that you need to visit the league with a fresh/clean face. The pirates do not have anything other than baby wipes to wash off dirty faces. But if the face appears dry, this step is avoided as it can also make the pirate paint difficult to apply.

Quote:
I was told when I made ressie that there would be special Bday pirate surprise for me as we were celebrating my BDay, I still don't know what that may have been as I didn't get or see anything different than BFF or DN. I don't really care but when you are sorta promised something you kinda look forward to it.
I am so sorry DRC said this - TPL has nothing to give a birthday boy/girl. There are some areas on property that can throw in special items, but the League does not.

Quote:
We didn't get sahes, were we supossed to?
You should have received a belt for the sword to hang into. This is given before going into the Sacred Sanctorum. Sometimes they'll have a special one that says The Pirates League in red print, but these are not a guarantee, it just depends on the current stock.

Quote:
We were told about pirate parade but we bailed from MK right after experience d/t crowds and by 4p makeup was nonexistant on all 3 of us.
Understandable. This is the time they give out the TPL certificates and treasure pieces. They also have a photopass here as the lighting allows for much more pictures.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #122
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
I am so sorry you had a poor experience, I know my answers cannot change what happened but may add a little more info.

Any chance you were wearing sunscreen? DRC (Disney Reservation Center, who actually makes the reservations) is supposed to say that you need to visit the league with a fresh/clean face. The pirates do not have anything other than baby wipes to wash off dirty faces. But if the face appears dry, this step is avoided as it can also make the pirate paint difficult to apply.

I am so sorry DRC said this - TPL has nothing to give a birthday boy/girl. There are some areas on property that can throw in special items, but the League does not.

You should have received a belt for the sword to hang into. This is given before going into the Sacred Sanctorum. Sometimes they'll have a special one that says The Pirates League in red print, but these are not a guarantee, it just depends on the current stock.

Understandable. This is the time they give out the TPL certificates and treasure pieces. They also have a photopass here as the lighting allows for much more pictures.
No Sunscreen and none of us were offered even baby wipes to clean faces and I doubt my skin looked dry, although I was also never told by DRC to arrive with clean face either.

I understand and i did have card from mickey waiting in our room
Yes we got belt but we also saw lil boy in front of us and several kids later in week with leather like sash the said pirate leaque on it and would be more like a banner across chest.

THank you for your replies though, like I said I may give it another chance in a cooler month.
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #123
2littleprincesses
DIS Veteran

Understandable. This is the time they give out the TPL certificates and treasure pieces. They also have a photopass here as the lighting allows for much more pictures.[/QUOTE]

Is the parade a not to miss? We are going to HDDR that night so we would have to miss the pirate parade. Should I reschedule on another day?

Thanks!

1st DCL cruise Magic--Western 3/19/2011!
DLR/CA coast trip 2014
2littleprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #124
tink,too
DIS Veteran

We'll miss out on some of the PL activities because our appointment time isn't until after the parade - which I knew before I booked.

However, I didn't realise that PhotoPass photogs went to the parade - that would be sooo cool to have. I really wish that they were inside the League to record the pirate transformations, too.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #125
thecapells
Disney Dad

So we're thinking about doing this with my 4-yr old in Jan for his birthday.
I know about the costumes and the make-up.
But I haven't heard about this parade. Can you give me some more details?

Also, there is no Photopass documenting the transformation a la BBB?
We loved the shots of my princess being transformed - it would be a shame if my pirate didn't get the same treatment.
thecapells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #126
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

I am still trying to figure out if this is a good idea for my son. He will be 3 at the time. He tends to be a little timid. He knows pirates and LOVES the veggietales ones (I know, completely different than Disney). DD is doing BBB so I was thinking this might be a great thing for him. I don't think he would get the whole "new name" and pirate oath thing... Just so confused on weither to book or not. Any opinions would be great!
Tinker_Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #127
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Tinker Tam - I can't give advice on the Pirate's League because we haven't done it - yet.

However, if you think your DS is a little young for this experience, have you considered getting him the Cool Dude option? I *think* it is available at BBB and maybe the Barber Shop on Main Street USA.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #128
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

I have considered that but he keeps saying he wants to be a pirate "ARGH!" Its too cute. I just worry that it will be too much for him once he is there and if i have a ressie I am stuck paying for it no matter what. I know that it will be a LONG LONG time till we make it back to WDW so I would love for him to have the experience. I am also heard the "hair paint" in the cool dude wheres of on the stroller, carseat and clothes. I was a little worried about that since we are renting a stroller this trip and don't want to ruin the carseat. hmmm...not sure what to do but thank you for bring up that option.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #129
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

I was wondering how much I should plan on tipping? Of course based on performance, but what is the general number?
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
2008-Dec ASmo (started an addiction)
Honeystar120608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #130
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2littleprincesses View Post
Is the parade a not to miss? We are going to HDDR that night so we would have to miss the pirate parade. Should I reschedule on another day?
I wouldn't worry about missing it. They just include a couple perks: Photopass, Certificate, and gems.

I added a video of the Pirate Parade in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
Also, there is no Photopass documenting the transformation a la BBB?
Afraid not, photographers do not match the theming. TPL is based in the mid 1700 hundreds so the idea of cameras and flashes does not work. They did choose to include the one at the end, but the CM is referred to as a gunner (person who shoots cannons) to make it themed a little better. They are also out of view of the regular Guests, so it's a more personalized experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Tam View Post
I am still trying to figure out if this is a good idea for my son. He will be 3 at the time. He tends to be a little timid.
In all honesty, I would book it. You do give your CC, but they will not charge it until the end of the experience. There is a $10 fee for no shows.

However, if you show up and your DS is too scared or decides he doesn't want to do it, you will not be charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeystar120608 View Post
I was wondering how much I should plan on tipping? Of course based on performance, but what is the general number?
The tips really run a huge scale... I can do 5 faces and get nothing. Then I do one face and get a $20. Anything is appreciated, $5 is the most common.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #131
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Subscribing! I think DS would love to do this before the 11/1 MNSSHP! I saw there is a $10 fee for no shows but what is the longest you can wait to cancel and not be charged? We don't land that day until 1pm (assuming we are on time ) I just want to know that I can call and cancel if we get stuck at the airport...

TIA!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #132
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Tam View Post
I have considered that but he keeps saying he wants to be a pirate "ARGH!" Its too cute.
Awww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
You do give your CC, but they will not charge it until the end of the experience. There is a $10 fee for no shows.

However, if you show up and your DS is too scared or decides he doesn't want to do it, you will not be charged.
Based on Berlioz advice, I'd book and take your little pirate along and see how he feels on the day.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #133
LovesHerTaurus
LovesHerTaurus

YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Awww.

Based on Berlioz advice, I'd book and take your little pirate along and see how he feels on the day.
Why not watch a video on youTube about it with him and see how he feels. Then get a buddy to come over and do a dress rehersal in pirate garb? If he gets worried or seems a little off, put it off. If he is into it, go for it!

8/15/10 - First trip to WDW - ASMu AND 8/16/10 - Getting married ABOVE Disney World!
LovesHerTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #134
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

I called this evening and booked his appt. When I told him he was so excited. I think it will be fine. Dh is going to take him to Pirate League while I do BBB with DD (4yo). I have already instructed DH to take tons of pictures. The lady on the phone suggested we take DS by the day before and let him check things out and also to take him to watch the PL parade the afternoon before. I really do think I am just thinking he woudn't get the pirate name and oath part. Oh well! He will love the transformation! Thank you for all the great advice!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #135
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Clothing

I am looking for some Pirate apparel for my 6 year old son. He is picky, and I know he will smolder in a costume in October (and we don't need a grumpy bum on our hands!) But a neat tshirt for him or crocs... should I wait until he gets there for a tshirt (preferably tank top) or for shoes or something? Nothing costume like..just comfortable regular clothes.
I really like the pirate croc shoes in the picture previously posted. Those are cute.
DD is going for the Castle package at BBB during the same time her brother is getting his pirate on. She will be head to toe princess, so I'd like to have something neat for him, doesn't have to cost a lot, but something that is fun to him. We bought daddy a POTC tshirt already for the boys' Pirate's League adventure, but I'd like something for Brayden. (No Disney Store here or anywhere around )
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
2008-Dec ASmo (started an addiction)
Honeystar120608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: