Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #136
NemoMom07
Swim Nemo Swim! You are free!

Location: North Carolina. But my heart and soul are in Tennessee

I got pirate t-shirts at WM last year at Halloween time for $5. I got one for my ds and one for my dh. The design looks like they have pirate gear on with the belt, sash, etc. Pretty cool and it is a plain t-shirt, because I know I costume my ds will burn up when we go in Septmeber.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #137
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

thanks for all the info and advice...jotted down more notes for this experience

My DS (11) will be doing the PL for the first time in Nov.

but a few more questions if anyone knows or specualtes....

1) Is the appt time somewhat treated like an ADR as in they know you are coming but you may still have to wait...or my like an actual appt time you shouldn't have to wait long...

we will be there Thanksgiving week and his appt is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving at 12:30 pm...plan on arriving at 12:15 like told from DRC

2) how many people not actually getting the PL experience can join you? I assume at least 1 parent but can another adult or non particiapting child stay w/ (or at least up to the secret room portion)?

3) the make-up...I mentioned this concern to DRC they of course said talk w/ the CM's upon arriving...can you choose an effect say Captain Hook and just get a few features or a portion of make-up not the full up stuff?

reason I ask, DS is autistic and has some sensory issues, he really wants the experience see the place , the name, get the loot, etc...but isn't as thrilled about the make-up and wondering how comfortable he'll be.

4) loudness...is it bad or minimal? same concern as above sensory to noise sometimes DS wears sound canceling headphones...may try some earplugs for this experience if needed too.

TIA just trying to have a much info ahead of time to help prepare him besides looking at pictures/videos.
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #138
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Thanks to everyone for all the great information about this! I was able to get DS7 a 4pm ressie on 11/1 before the last MNSSHP!

I was even able to change our flight to get in a couple of hours earlier so we aren't rushing to get to this appointment.

And lastly, thanks to the PP who posted the link and the code for buycostumes.com. I was able to get a pirate skeleton costume for under $17, including shipping!

If I wasn't already excited about doing MNSSHP, I certainly am now!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #139
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
1)Is the appt time somewhat treated like an ADR as in they know you are coming but you may still have to wait...or my like an actual appt time you shouldn't have to wait long...
It is like an ADR so you may have to wait. They generally do not tell a wait time as it really depends on how fast the Pirates on the chairs are going and some new recruits just take longer than others. A 30 minute wait should be expected on a normal day (especially around lunch). An hour or longer on MNSSHP (based on last year's wait average).

Quote:
2) how many people not actually getting the PL experience can join you?
No limit to sit in the main room and watch. There is a limit to enter the sacred sanctorum, usually 6 but it depends on the physical size of the Guests (obviously more children can fit than adults).

Quote:
3) can you choose an effect say Captain Hook and just get a few features or a portion of make-up not the full up stuff?
No, the looks are approved by legal and the pirates are not allowed to take "special orders." With that said, kids are kids and if they just cannot finish the look the Pirate Master will adjust. But this is done in the spur of the moment, no alterations will be agreed on beforehand.

Quote:
4)loudness...is it bad or minimal? same concern as above sensory to noise sometimes DS wears sound canceling headphones...may try some earplugs for this experience if needed too.
Yes, it is louder than most places in the parks. However, we have had several children with autism in the past and have been notified to be cautious of our volume while the child is present.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #140
2littleprincesses
DIS Veteran

Ok, trying to decide whether or not to get my dds costumes for Pirates league in August and then for our cruise in March--(pirates night?). Right now I have tank tops for them with sparkly girl skulls on them to wear for pirates league. Last year we went in August and we brought princess dresses from home. When they got hot, they changed into shirts/shorts. They got alot of comments. Should I splurge and get the costumes? Would the costumes be too hot? Maybe I could pack the shirts to bring with if the costumes get too hot--opinions?

Here are the costumes:
http://www.buycostumes.com/Treasure-...uctDetail.aspx

http://www.buycostumes.com/Decked-Ou...uctDetail.aspx

Thanks for any opinions.

1st DCL cruise Magic--Western 3/19/2011!
DLR/CA coast trip 2014
2littleprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #141
Noelle Luvs Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2littleprincesses View Post
Ok, trying to decide whether or not to get my dds costumes for Pirates league in August and then for our cruise in March--(pirates night?). Right now I have tank tops for them with sparkly girl skulls on them to wear for pirates league. Last year we went in August and we brought princess dresses from home. When they got hot, they changed into shirts/shorts. They got alot of comments. Should I splurge and get the costumes? Would the costumes be too hot? Maybe I could pack the shirts to bring with if the costumes get too hot--opinions?

Here are the costumes:
http://www.buycostumes.com/Treasure-...uctDetail.aspx

http://www.buycostumes.com/Decked-Ou...uctDetail.aspx

Thanks for any opinions.
I just wanted to give you info on the Treasure Hunt Pirate Girl costume - that is the one my youngest daughter wore (pics are a few pages back). I really, really liked this costume & it was VERY lightweight. Very comfy & very thin - the kind of thin material that you can throw in the suitcase & doesn't get all wrinkly. I would just say that this costume ran VERY small. My daughter is on the brink between a 6x and 7/8 and I wasn't sure if I should order the medium or the large since the large was a size 7-10, but I went ahead and ordered the large since I figured too big was better than too small. Well, the large fit her perfectly. I think if I had ordered the medium, it would've been indecent. Anyway, my daughter is a girly girl & wanted a pink costume & the one they have at the PL is long sleeved, so I ordered this one & was very happy with it - hope this helps!!

May 2010 Contemporary * December 2009 for MVMCP * May 2009 Port Orleans Riverside * September 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * March 2008 - Off Property * September 2007 All Star Sports * April 2006 - All Star Movies * May 2004 Off Property ~many childhood trips~
Noelle Luvs Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #142
2littleprincesses
DIS Veteran

THanks for the input. Your dd looked so cute in that outfit--that is why we picked it. Dd is wearing 7/8 tops and 6x bottoms. Do you think that would be too small for her? She would like to wear it to halloween and in March. Thanks!

1st DCL cruise Magic--Western 3/19/2011!
DLR/CA coast trip 2014
2littleprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #143
Noelle Luvs Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2littleprincesses View Post
THanks for the input. Your dd looked so cute in that outfit--that is why we picked it. Dd is wearing 7/8 tops and 6x bottoms. Do you think that would be too small for her? She would like to wear it to halloween and in March. Thanks!
Oh, thank you! She really, really loved wearing that costume. It also comes with it's own cute bandanna that she didn't wear since I knew they'd get one at the PL.

I think that the large will be perfect then since my daughter wears some 6x's still & some 7/8s. I think it would fit perfectly at Halloween & what I would do is, if it's starting to get a little on the short side in March, have her wear some little, lightweight shorts underneath just in case. (I know I'm constantly having to get onto my daughters to sit nicely when they are in their dresses - even the 10 year old!) Or you could also do some lightweight pink bloomers - that could be cute!

May 2010 Contemporary * December 2009 for MVMCP * May 2009 Port Orleans Riverside * September 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * March 2008 - Off Property * September 2007 All Star Sports * April 2006 - All Star Movies * May 2004 Off Property ~many childhood trips~
Noelle Luvs Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #144
LovesHerTaurus
LovesHerTaurus

Bandanna question!

Do the bandannas fit the adults too? All four of us have it booked, but if the bandana won't fit is there another option? Can we buy hats at the league?

We have big heads

8/15/10 - First trip to WDW - ASMu AND 8/16/10 - Getting married ABOVE Disney World!
LovesHerTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #145
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! Just wanted to post here that we had an *AMAZING* time at the Pirates League on Monday, June 21st. This was our second time there, and surprisingly - our pirates remembered us from last May! Pirate Lonnie and Pirate James were incredible, but Pirate Jason really made my little girls day by getting her stuffed animal a pirate booty sack and remembering the story he told her last year (he fell in love with a mermaid, but sadly, things just didn't work out!)

I'll post pictures soon, but it was just a wonderful experience for my kids. The CM's really went above and beyond what they needed to do, I've already contacted Guest Services about their committment to the whole storyline.

So, so fun! I highly recommend this for anyone - so cool.

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #146
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesHerTaurus View Post
Do the bandannas fit the adults too? All four of us have it booked, but if the bandana won't fit is there another option? Can we buy hats at the league?

We have big heads
Yep - the bandanas are designed for adults and if anything, are a little too big for some of the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingle View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to post here that we had an *AMAZING* time at the Pirates League on Monday, June 21st. This was our second time there, and surprisingly - our pirates remembered us from last May! Pirate Lonnie and Pirate James were incredible, but Pirate Jason really made my little girls day by getting her stuffed animal a pirate booty sack and remembering the story he told her last year (he fell in love with a mermaid, but sadly, things just didn't work out!)

I'll post pictures soon, but it was just a wonderful experience for my kids. The CM's really went above and beyond what they needed to do, I've already contacted Guest Services about their committment to the whole storyline.

So, so fun! I highly recommend this for anyone - so cool.
What a wonderful story!!! Be sure to include the pirates names in your letter as CMs get special recognition if a Guest writes a positive letter about them.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #147
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
It is like an ADR so you may have to wait. They generally do not tell a wait time as it really depends on how fast the Pirates on the chairs are going and some new recruits just take longer than others. A 30 minute wait should be expected on a normal day (especially around lunch). An hour or longer on MNSSHP (based on last year's wait average).

No limit to sit in the main room and watch. There is a limit to enter the sacred sanctorum, usually 6 but it depends on the physical size of the Guests (obviously more children can fit than adults).

No, the looks are approved by legal and the pirates are not allowed to take "special orders." With that said, kids are kids and if they just cannot finish the look the Pirate Master will adjust. But this is done in the spur of the moment, no alterations will be agreed on beforehand.

Yes, it is louder than most places in the parks. However, we have had several children with autism in the past and have been notified to be cautious of our volume while the child is present.
thank you for all the answers this is really helpful and appreciative...
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #148
momof1+1+2
Mouseketeer

Great thread! Thanks for all the info. I will be trying to get my son an appt for this tomorrow!!
2005 - CBR
1995 - Offsite
momof1+1+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #149
Figmificent
Mouseketeer

Ok I know this is an off the wall question, but is there anyone I could contact to find out if the eye patch band is latex? Allergy... can ya tell? LOL
CR-1988 CR-1998 Off site-2001 POFQ-5/07 (first couples trip) CR-8/07 POFQ-9/07 WL-1/08 POFQ-3/08 POFQ-9/08 POFQ-1/09 POFQ-6/09 POFQ-11/09 CR-8/10 POFQ-2/12 (our scariest visit ever) POFQ 2/13 (DS first trip!) POFQ 9/13
Figmificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #150
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

My best guess is that it is not, as one of our Pirates has an allergy to latex and I've seen her wear one. When you check in you can always ask to see one first, they are in individual packages with the earring. If it turns out to be latex just make sure your Pirate Master knows so he or she does not put it on (which they do automatically).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: