Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #151
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Welcome Kristen!!

ZZ has swim class with a Cullen.

Great idea about naming the baby after you meet them. They are just meant to be what their names are. I now can't imagine my girls having different names.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #152
TiggerStac
I'm going to join in on this one
he sure looks like a dog on the sweatshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say hello! Good to know I am not the only one who hates laundry. To be honest I don't mind the washing and drying. It is the folding and putting away that I hate!

I wish I could give my girls a surprise trip ~ but it will never happen! I get to excited the minute I book it!! LOL!

I work part time too. Tues and Thursday. I work long days on Tuesday ~ but can pretty much come and go as I please. Love it!!
I'm the same way...this would be why I have laundry baskets full of clean laundry that never gets put away!

Fav characters...
me..tigger
hubby hercules
DS 8...changes all the time.
DS 3, any, mickey, donald, goofy, mcqueen, mater, buzz, sully, etc etc
DS almost 1...I'll say mickey as that what i'm having his bday cake made with
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #153
VirataMama4
DIS Veteran

Location: Home is where the Navy sends us: Currently- New Orleans, 09-12- DC

I'm so glad to have all the new members! Welcome, welcome!

I forgot to say mine and DH's favorite characters! Mine is Chip, from Beauty and the Beast, and Mater!

DH's was Ariel, but he's changing to Belle. LOL
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #154
roobug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ahhhh ~ side by side cribs! Ummm that would never have worked here! One of them (probably Z) would have been suffocated with LOVE!

Welcome Danielle!
Well when they were in the hospital for 2 months they shared a crib, and after that they couldn't fall asleep unless they were in the same crib. For the first 7 months of their lives we had one crib they slept in and one that was storage. Once they got too mobile we moved them into their own crib but it didn't work well so put the cribs side by side so they could still see and touch eachother. Until just this week it has worked really well and they often fall asleep laying next to each other against the side of their crib.

Now though Monkey has become a climber and loves to get into Bug's crib. I just went in there and they are both asleep in Bug's crib side by side. It's super cute, but sadly I think it's time to move their cribs or switch to toddler beds.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #155
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Ahhhh so cute!

Our girls slept in a queen bed for a while until we got them bunk beds. I think Z was like 18 months old. But then she never really slept in a crib. She slept in an amby swing. The actual crib for MAYBE four months.

They must be so cute together.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #156
danielle&aidan
Earning My Ears

I just got back from my 3 year old's first soccer practice.

OH. EM. GEE. Cuuuuuuutest thing I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!

BTW, favorite characters....me, Ariel. The Munchkin, Buzz.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #157
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Welcome!! Glad this is starting to grow!

DH loves DVC for the same reason. Having your own bedroom makes a huge difference. He told the girls that the couch was a magic couch and now they love to sleep on it.

We will buy someday. Right now we are paying my fathers mortgage (well he gave us the house but it has a mortgage that the rent doesn't cover) the difference is the same as what our DVC payment would be.

We did Kindy registration two fridays ago. It is bitter sweet because DD is so excited and is so ready ~ but so sad for me. Selfish huh?
Did DD do preschool? I wasn't going to put my DD4 in preschool ... but then I did and was pregnant and it was great for me to make doctor appts and of course, she learned tons. So she did preschool at a home preschool at 3 years old and now that she is 4yo, she's at a church preschool.

I hear ya on the DVC! My DH left a company that had private stock and once you left, you had to sell the stock, as you couldn't be a shareholder anymore. So we decided to purchase DVC with it! Now the company went public so he could keep the stock if he still was there and left ... I'm sooooooo happy, personally, that the company "made" us use that stock!!

Fav characters: DH and I both love Mickey. DD4 loves her princesses -- Belle, Cinderella, Snow White and Ariel, but for some reason NOT Sleeping Beauty!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #158
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle&aidan View Post
I just got back from my 3 year old's first soccer practice.

OH. EM. GEE. Cuuuuuuutest thing I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!

BTW, favorite characters....me, Ariel. The Munchkin, Buzz.
So how did this go? I've thought of signing my 4yo up for some athletic class but she's so into arts and crafts instead.

however, our local martial arts class has a Free One Month trial and I just signed her up tonight. Figure, if it's free, why not? She saw one class and thought it was fun ... we'll see.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #159
danielle&aidan
Earning My Ears

It went as well as it could have, lol! The soccer league is at the Y and is for 3 and 4 year olds. None of them really had a clue what was going on. The coach was really good at working with this age though. She had them doing simple little drills and explained how soccer works in as simple of terms as possible. The games should be a hoot! The first one is actually during our Disney trip so we'll be missing it (and having way more fun!)

Martial arts should be fun. I agree...if it's free, why not try it? I can see Aidan being interested in that in the next few years.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #160
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Did DD do preschool? I wasn't going to put my DD4 in preschool ... but then I did and was pregnant and it was great for me to make doctor appts and of course, she learned tons. So she did preschool at a home preschool at 3 years old and now that she is 4yo, she's at a church preschool.

I hear ya on the DVC! My DH left a company that had private stock and once you left, you had to sell the stock, as you couldn't be a shareholder anymore. So we decided to purchase DVC with it! Now the company went public so he could keep the stock if he still was there and left ... I'm sooooooo happy, personally, that the company "made" us use that stock!!

Fav characters: DH and I both love Mickey. DD4 loves her princesses -- Belle, Cinderella, Snow White and Ariel, but for some reason NOT Sleeping Beauty!

DD1 is OCD diagnosed so we looked into everything and decided full time Montessori school at age 3. Unfortunately that meant full time mont school for DD2 as well. It hasn't been a great fit for DD2 but we are getting there.

I worry about oldest DD because she will have had 1.5 years full time preschool and 1/2 year of two days a week preschool. So she is pretty far advanced from what they teach in kindy here. can't win for losing.

She already:

Knows her ABC's and the sounds they make.
She can count to at least 100
She adds and subtracts
She is a good sorter and great with figuring out patterns
Colors, shapes all that stuff
She can write some basic stuff, her name, mommy, daddy.
She knows words by sight (cat, dog, ball) simple stuff really

These are all things that she is expected to do by the end of kindy. I am a little worried she will be bored... BUT her classroom (don't know how much you ladies know about mont. school) is Primary Mont ~ they have kids age 2.5-5 in their class and are encouraged to help the younger kids learn.

So I am hoping that she will occupy herself with helping rather than getting in trouble.

Who knows though ~ if enough kids are at the same level maybe they will rearrange the lessons.... I know wishful thinking for public school.

Mimi wants to play the Y soccer too ~ but it starts in May here.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #161
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

Awww, I m iss those early soccer/softball years. Tink never played (tried the free month of karate with her, but she thought she would be Mulan overnight and didn't last.) Pluto played soccer for years., this is her first year not playing and Ariel playes soccer till last year when she switched to softball. She is playing again this year. Starts next week. Pluto and Ariel are both dancers and that is some cute stuff when they are little! So cute! Tink is an artist. She locks herself in her room and paints and draws. She is actually pretty good but I don't get her stuff. I have asked her to paint me something I would understand but she hasn't yet. I just bought her some new canvases so maybe soon.

So, today was a lousy day. I was doing really good in the morning (minus Pluto and Ariel missing the bus) but midday I screwed up my back and have not moved since. I have been horizontal and on my back since about 2. I got a lot done before then though and thankfully my freezer is stocked with things Grumpy just needed to warm up. He made a mean pot of chili. Then he took Pluto to dance.

I have to get better fast, I have to work tomorrow afternoon and run the band carpool in the morning for Pluto. Grumpy has a 7am meeting across town so he can't even stay to help. Of all the days to be my turn. All I have to do is get through tomorrow though. My preschool closes down both Thursday and Friday for Easter. Tomorrow should be OK, we are just having a little Easter party, the bunny will hide eggs and stuff. I'll have to run Ariel to dance too, Grumpy will bring her home though.

So this morning I was taking the garbage out and the neighbor was too and he told me it was going to be 85 degrees on Friday! I came in and checked, he streched that a bit but it is going to be low 70s and sunny all weekend, or so they are saying. I am excited because I am planning an Egg Hunt for all the Girl Scout troops at our school on Saturday. It is outide so that would be great! I am both Pluto and Ariel's troop leader and was Tink's till her troop stopped. I am also the Brownie coopdinator for our district and the coordinator for the school troops. So, that takes a huge part of my life but the kids enjoy it, so OK. But nice weather always makes things easier!

Alright, I am going to run for now. The school gave Pluto a t-shirt that I ordered that would fit Ariel, maybe. Way too small and not at all the size I ordered so I need to go send an e-mail before they give hers away.

Have a good night...
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #162
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

i
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #163
E3yore
Mouseketeer

Wow. I clearly need to be more diligent in checking this thing. I work all day and then spend as much time as I can with the kids as I can on the weekends and at night but you girls were on a roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomOfThree View Post
I say that too! I hope you didn't think we were saying you should go, if you can, go for it! I can't speak for anyone else but I sure don't think you need to justify your trips. Do I wish we could go more, sure, but I don't begrudge anyone else for going.

As for missing school, I am a bad mommy. I let them miss a few days to make Thanksgiving a little longer. DH can't take more then 5 days off at a time plus can't take time away in summer so we can combine 2 weekends pus the day of Thanksgiving and make those 5 days a little longer.

I think it is great you get to go, have fun, enjoy yourself and more so enjoy your little girls. They aren't litte long (says the mom whose oldest will be able to help drive down on our nest trip.)
I would not call you a bad mom. Every parent makes decisions that they think is best for their kids. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't. My kids are not yet in school but my DD5 starts Kindergarten in the fall and we are taking her out for a week in December. I figure a week won't mean the difference between Ivy League or a State school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermom23 View Post
Our big expense is the airfare. We won't even consider driving. I take that back...we consider it but always come to our senses! DS3 is not a very good traveler, doesn't sleep in his carseat for more than an hour and wakes up crying. We drove to Omaha last year, 7 hour drive and it was miserable!
That's what I thought about my DS3 when we drove in October and then again in March. I was sure that both kids were going to have a major issue as neither of them like driving the 2 hours to their Grandmothers house. They both did great on both trips. The DVD players are a Godsend and we kept them interested by giving "gifts" at the state lines. The trip is 1200 miles and we drive it "straight" through.

Quote:
OH no ~ I didn't think I needed to justify it to you ladies!! No. But I do have to justify it all the time to say... DH's family. He has a brother who is always struggling with finances. His parents are always looking at us sideways because we travel a lot.

We always talk about driving but it is 23 hours if we drive straight through. By the time we figure gas, tolls, eating one the road....potentially stopping and getting a room one night. It ends up not really saving us much. And the girls are still to little to enjoy it.
I have to justify my trips to all of my co-workers. However, over the years they have learned that I always have another trip planned. This time I have my December trip and little do they know but I am also planning October 2011.

I also use to think that the drive would not save us a lot of money but I was wrong when I really sat down and crunched the numbers. The savings was enough that I could afford 2 trips a year.

Quote:
Just wanted to pop in and say hello! Good to know I am not the only one who hates laundry. To be honest I don't mind the washing and drying. It is the folding and putting away that I hate!
Agreed. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to work all day and then take care of everything else at night.

As for favorite characters I LOVE Eeyore. DH is a Mickey or Grumpy fan DD is a Princess fan and it depends on who she is thinking of at that time but right now it is Tiana. DS is a Buzz and Woody fan.

We also do not go "commando" style. I like that we can take it slow and not stress when we are at the parks. I always feel bad for those parents who are telling their kids that they can't do something because they need to do something else that is on "the list." I feel that people loss the magic of Disney when they make a list for everything. My DD taught me that.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #164
Marshay

MM3 -- I'm sorry to hear about your back. I hope tomorrow goes quickly for you.

=========================
suellen -- wow!! Your child will be super ready for kindy! I think your fear of her getting bored is valid b/c the kids in my preschool, and my own daughter, can't do all those things (i.e., count to 100, as an example. She can do it with help but not all by herself. She gets a bit lost in the 30s).

I agree the "helping others learn" route and maybe even asking the teacher for more work or a special project to do would be good if you find her getting bored??

I know Monty gave her a terrific education. We have several in our area and everyone speaks highly of them.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #165
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Sue Ellen My daughter started K this year in a similar situation. She was reading, doing basic addition and subtraction, writng short sentences etc. They wanted to test her for gifted and move her up a grade early in the year-I said no to both. She was tested last week for gifted for next year. We have been working with the teacher all year to get her apprpriate work. There is another little girl who is similar-so they are grouped together. As long as you are on top of what is being taught and an advocate for her it will go well.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: