Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #661
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Jo View Post
I have one more question! As I posted yesterday, I am surprising my DF with a stay at the GF this weekend (he thinks we are going to POR).

We're renting a car (he is driving) and I'm going to have our GPS direct him to the "wrong" hotel. Once we pass the DTD area I think he'll start to figure things out but I want to keep him guessing until we arrive at the resort (he might think we are going to the Poly instead). I can't remember though if we'll need to pass thru the MK toll plaza and if we do will we have to tell them where we are going?

Thanks! 4 days!!
No, you will not have to go through the toll booth. The MK resort road is to the right of the toll booth.

He will definitely know you aren't going to POR, though, as there are many signs directing you to MK resorts!

Have a great time!
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #662
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

You do have to go through the toll booth if you drive down World Drive. There is another route that doesn't go through a toll booth. It's the road that runs in front of FW.
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #663
madcam
Mouseketeer

Just checking in on my new favorite thread!! I am so excited....I paid off the rest of my trip last night so now I just sit and wait for SEVEN months

I was able to get the 20/30/40 PIN yesterday so I was able to apply that to our existing reservation and then upgraded us to Deluxe Dining and was still able to save some money!!

I am thinking Citrico's for DDs birthday dinner.........Now I just have to wait for the magical 180 day mark!!

Sooooo Happy I decided to book the Grand Floridian (I plan to get my Poly fix at least once because I am going to attempt to get an O'hana's ADR) Never thought we would get a chance to stay there but oh so glad we are!!!

June 1983 (Me~7 yrs old w/ parents) Off Site May 1983 (DH~17 yrs old w/class trip) Off Site
October 2007 Contemporary Resort (First Family Trip w/ our girls!)
December 2010 Grand Floridian Resort (Family Christmas Trip.....Whooo Hoooo!!!)

December 2013 Grand Floridian Resort (Christmas Trip w/ Entire Family)
madcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #664
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
You do have to go through the toll booth if you drive down World Drive. There is another route that doesn't go through a toll booth. It's the road that runs in front of FW.
I remember this one. I call it the 'out in the boonies' route. From DTD to the MK resort area, I swear, it looks like you are out in the backwoods somewhere...which is intentional since it goes past Ft. Wilderness. After you clear that I believe you come to Timberline Drive (?) which is the entrance to the Wilderness Lodge to the left, and to the right is the roadway that goes to the other MK resorts (Poly, GF).

If you go down World Drive to the toll plaza, there is a 'pass thru' lane for the MK resorts. When we stayed at the Poly and relatives drove in to meet us for dinner, this is what they did.

I'm going purely on memory from using The Force so don't quote me exactly.

Last edited by MsStinkerBelle; 05-04-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added World Drive info.
MsStinkerBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #665
BamaTigger
ANNUAL PASSHOLDER! 6 HOURS FROM DISNEY! 28th TRIP AND COUNTING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Jo View Post
I have one more question! As I posted yesterday, I am surprising my DF with a stay at the GF this weekend (he thinks we are going to POR).

We're renting a car (he is driving) and I'm going to have our GPS direct him to the "wrong" hotel. Once we pass the DTD area I think he'll start to figure things out but I want to keep him guessing until we arrive at the resort (he might think we are going to the Poly instead). I can't remember though if we'll need to pass thru the MK toll plaza and if we do will we have to tell them where we are going?

Thanks! 4 days!!
There are a couple of differnt ways you can go, but we always go thru the MK gates and go to the "MK resorts".....that takes you to the TTC, The Ploy, then to the GF! You could always go thru the MK gates and just tell him, "SURPRISE HONEY....HEAD TO THE GRAND FLORIDIAN CAUSE THATS WHERE WE ARE STAYING! "..that would be totally magical to get to the MK entrance and then pop that on him!

TAKING FUR KIDS TO WDW? CHECK MY BEST FRIENDS PET CARE RESORT FAQ THREAD!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2552159
BamaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #666
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcam View Post
Just checking in on my new favorite thread!! I am so excited....I paid off the rest of my trip last night so now I just sit and wait for SEVEN months

I was able to get the 20/30/40 PIN yesterday so I was able to apply that to our existing reservation and then upgraded us to Deluxe Dining and was still able to save some money!!

I am thinking Citrico's for DDs birthday dinner.........Now I just have to wait for the magical 180 day mark!!

Sooooo Happy I decided to book the Grand Floridian (I plan to get my Poly fix at least once because I am going to attempt to get an O'hana's ADR) Never thought we would get a chance to stay there but oh so glad we are!!!
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStinkerBelle View Post
I remember this one. I call it the 'out in the boonies' route. From DTD to the MK resort area, I swear, it looks like you are out in the backwoods somewhere...which is intentional since it goes past Ft. Wilderness. After you clear that I believe you come to Timberline Drive (?) which is the entrance to the Wilderness Lodge to the left, and to the right is the roadway that goes to the other MK resorts (Poly, GF).

If you go down World Drive to the toll plaza, there is a 'pass thru' lane for the MK resorts. When we stayed at the Poly and relatives drove in to meet us for dinner, this is what they did.

I'm going purely on memory from using The Force so don't quote me exactly.
Don't you love that road....so peaceful. It's called Vista BLVD. Approaching the MK resorts from it, you actually merge onto World Drive but past the toll booth and MK parking lots. At the light, as you said Timberline Drive is on the right and Seven Seas Drive is to the left. Take the left and then a right at the next intersection.

There isn't exactly a drive through lane at the toll booth. The far right is drive through but it is for buses only. You can go through any of the parking booth lanes but it is easier to go to one of the far right booths as that road to the MK resorts (World Drive) is straight ahead on the far right side but a single lane. Lanes for parking for the MK sweeps to the left.

We always have our reservation form ready to show the CM at the booth so that we don't have to pay MK parking. The rest of the visit we just show our parking pass.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #667
earthelves
DIS Veteran

Tell me about Christmas @ The Grand Floridan RPC Staying there Christmas 2010 & i am so "Stoked Up" even though its 7 and a half months away Are there any "Special Activity's" Christmas Eve or New Years Eve

earthelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #668
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

PrincessJo - we always do as BCV23 has stated, and keep to the right as we head to the toll booth. We've never had to show a reservation, though, we just say "resort reservation" and they wave us through. Good tip to have it ready, I'm going to keep that in mind for the future!

Congratulations, madcam, how exciting!!

earthelves - I hope someone who has stayed at the Grand over Christmas can give details; we've been at that time, but leave by Christmas Eve to be with family. There were a few posters who've been there over NYE who posted a couple weeks ago, if you want to wade through the thread, lol.

Staying RPC at Christmas time is so magical!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #669
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We just came back from a wonderful stay at GF. The resort was wonderful and I can't imagine staying a different resort. Our room was in Big Pine Key. I had requested an upper floor near the pools.

We were in a top floor dormer room. Here are some pictures of our view from our balcony.

The room was very nice....

and we could see the fireworks from our balcony.

The staff was excellent and very accommodating. The pools were very nice and not crowded, we were able to get a chair every time. I preferred the Beach pool to the Courtyard pool. I liked the zero entry, my daughter could play in the shallow end without us in the pool, and it was nice to be on the beach. My one complaint would be that the pool bars closed at 8pm. It would have been nice if they had been open until 10pm especially on Friday or Saturday.

We used valet parking, it was very convenient. We were on the deluxe dining plan so we valeted at the other resorts, and it was great that you could call ahead and have your car waiting for you.

We had tea in the tea room and that was nice. We also ordered room service from Narcoossee a couple nights at the end of the trip. The food was excellent. On our first day we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and it was also good.

I had also thought that staying at a monorail wouldn't be that much more convenient than a non monorail resort, but it was great to get to MK and to dine at the Contemporary and Poly. We took the boat back from MK and over to Poly once. One morning we had a breakfast reservation at Kona so we walked over to Poly and then caught the monorail over to Epcot from the TTC. It was nice to have so many travel options.

Last year we stayed at POFQ it was nice but I doubt I would stay at a moderate resort again. Our plane arrived late in the day so we spent our first night at POP and the difference between it and POFQ were minimal. They rooms were nearly the same, the main difference was that POP was much more crowded. The difference between POFQ and GF were much more significant and I think if you are doing a vacation where you plan on spending time at the resort it is worth it to upgrade to deluxe. I am a GF convert

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #670
BamaTigger
ANNUAL PASSHOLDER! 6 HOURS FROM DISNEY! 28th TRIP AND COUNTING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsan View Post
We just came back from a wonderful stay at GF. The resort was wonderful and I can't imagine staying a different resort. Our room was in Big Pine Key. I had requested an upper floor near the pools.

We were in a top floor dormer room. Here are some pictures of our view from our balcony.

The room was very nice....

and we could see the fireworks from our balcony.

The staff was excellent and very accommodating. The pools were very nice and not crowded, we were able to get a chair every time. I preferred the Beach pool to the Courtyard pool. I liked the zero entry, my daughter could play in the shallow end without us in the pool, and it was nice to be on the beach. My one complaint would be that the pool bars closed at 8pm. It would have been nice if they had been open until 10pm especially on Friday or Saturday.

We used valet parking, it was very convenient. We were on the deluxe dining plan so we valeted at the other resorts, and it was great that you could call ahead and have your car waiting for you.

We had tea in the tea room and that was nice. We also ordered room service from Narcoossee a couple nights at the end of the trip. The food was excellent. On our first day we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and it was also good.

I had also thought that staying at a monorail wouldn't be that much more convenient than a non monorail resort, but it was great to get to MK and to dine at the Contemporary and Poly. We took the boat back from MK and over to Poly once. One morning we had a breakfast reservation at Kona so we walked over to Poly and then caught the monorail over to Epcot from the TTC. It was nice to have so many travel options.

Last year we stayed at POFQ it was nice but I doubt I would stay at a moderate resort again. Our plane arrived late in the day so we spent our first night at POP and the difference between it and POFQ were minimal. They rooms were nearly the same, the main difference was that POP was much more crowded. The difference between POFQ and GF were much more significant and I think if you are doing a vacation where you plan on spending time at the resort it is worth it to upgrade to deluxe. I am a GF convert

Your view was GREAT! I would LOVE to have that view...and Im a MK view kinda gal! But it was BREATHTAKING! Looking at the whole GF courtyard must of been amazing!

And thats great that you ordered room service from Narcoossee's....I love that place! The filets are awesome!

One question..when you did the room service, was it fast?

TAKING FUR KIDS TO WDW? CHECK MY BEST FRIENDS PET CARE RESORT FAQ THREAD!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2552159
BamaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #671
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTigger View Post
Your view was GREAT! I would LOVE to have that view...and Im a MK view kinda gal! But it was BREATHTAKING! Looking at the whole GF courtyard must of been amazing!

And thats great that you ordered room service from Narcoossee's....I love that place! The filets are awesome!

One question..when you did the room service, was it fast?
The view was amazing and it was a garden view room.

The room service took 40 minutes one night and nearly an hour the second night. I think that you could pre-order your meal for a specific delivery time if you wanted. The CM's were so great I didn't hear no or sorry we can't do that once.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #672
Jasmine12
Mouseketeer

Touring Plans

Thank you for the suggestion of checking out TouringPlans.com for photos of GF! AAHHH! I'm so excited! I remember working in 1900 Park Fare as a College Program'r in the 'entertainment' dept gosh that was a decade ago, and now I get to experience it with my kiddies!
Jasmine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #673
garada3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsan View Post
We also ordered room service from Narcoossee a couple nights at the end of the trip. The food was excellent.
I didn't know this was possible! Do you call Narcoossee's directly or do you call private dining? Can anything off the menu be ordered?

This could be a great option!

garada3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #674
GFSurprise
Earning My Ears

gilsan, your pictures are great! That view is amazing!! Now I'm starting to re-think my "I don't make requests" stance! LOL! That would be a great view!!

Princess_Jo, Good luck with your surprise!! I'm surprising my DH and DS with the GF, too. They think we are staying at CBR!! I've kept this to myself since January...I still can't believe I managed to do that!! Be careful with the GPS. That was my plan, too, until I realized that the GF is located on Grand Floridian Way!! I'm afraid my DH will see/hear the address before I'm ready to let him know, so I'm trying to figure out another way to do the big reveal!

Couple of questions from me (I can't get WDW off of my mind!!):

I noticed in gilsan's pictures that they had a ceiling fan in their dormer room. Do all rooms at the GF have ceiling fans? I don't remember having one last time we stayed at the GF, but that was 10 years ago so it doesn't mean much!

Is it possible to eat at the GF Cafe w/o an ADR? I would like to eat there at some point, but I'm not sure which day or even which meal. Do I need to plan that to make sure we can get in? We've eaten there before and enjoyed it.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #675
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

What is the difference between Sugarloaf and the CL in the main building? Thanks.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: