Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Michguy04
dad of twins

Would you plan by the "Crowd Calculator" (Touring Plans)?

OK...Our first WDW trip is now 29 days away

We arrive on Wednesday the 21st and had planned on doing MK on Thursday, thinking that Friday/Saturday would be the most crowded days there.

Now I am looking at the Touring Plans Website and their "Crowd Calculator" is saying:
.................... Crowd................BEST............ AVOID
Thursday............. 7 ............... AK ....... ..... MK, EP
Friday...................4 .................. MK.................EP, DS

So in their opinion Friday would actually be the better day to visit MK.

Would you adjust your "daily plan" in accordance with their information?
Is their information usually pretty accurate?

Thanks for any info or opinions-
Guy

Last edited by Michguy04; 03-23-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Michguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Yes and we do plan by thier best days/parks to avoid advice. We have tested thier recommendations for ourselves on several trips and can see a noticable difference within minutes of entering the avoid park vs the best park. We usually plan any ADR or anything like that to be the Best Park and then go there if we want to do something else we will and hop to another park but we try to avoid the avoid parks at all costs. If I make ADR's before I see thier info or it changes I still keep my ADR's, its not worth changing them around for, since we are hoppers if we end up at the avoid park for lunch/dinner we can always go somewhere else for the rest of the day.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

We've never used the guide books and been well over 100 times. A lot of people do but I know what I want to do, do those things first, and everything else is gravy.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Yes
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
selina4disney
Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow!

Yes, I have used them for years and they have done well by us. I already have a rough plan for which park/which day for our next two trips (October and Dec 2010) thanks to them. When the park hours come out, I'll finetune it when I make the ADR's and tour reservations.
selina4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
KimK2006
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4disney View Post
Yes, I have used them for years and they have done well by us.
Ditto. We will sometimes "stray" because of things we have planned on certain days, but we have always had good luck when following them.
February, 2013 - ASMo (Cheer Nationals) November, 2011 - YC May, 2010 - POFQ November, 2008 - CBR May/June, 2008 - POFQ May/June, 2007 - CSR October, 2006 - POFQ July, 2006 - Disney Wonder October, 2005 - POFQ November, 2004 - CR May/June, 2004 - WL June, 2003 - AKL October, 2002 - WL October, 2001 - CBR May, 2000 - ASMo May, 1999 - ASMo April, 1998 - POR

KimK2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I have used them for years, but I use them more as guidelines.I don't strictly follow them.It is important to note that the crowd level Numbers are based on the Mk only.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
andijean
professional DIS lurker

Is that true that touring plans crowd number is only base on MK? I normally use their site as a guideline and would make adjustments to my plan if they are only using crowd day predictions by MK and not the Disney complex. It definitely puts a different spin on things.

Oct 12 Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club, Aug 11 Disney Hilton Head, Oct 10 Bay Lake Tower,
Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower, Dec 07 Beach Club, Dec 05 Coronado Springs
Feb 04 Westgate Villas,Mar 02 Radisson Pkwy, Jan 94 and many times as child

andijean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

I always avoid their park to avoid, but I don't always go to the best park(s). We've never run into bad crowds or long waits, and we've even been over spring break. It's a great little tool to use if you're a planner, I think.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andijean View Post
Is that true that touring plans crowd number is only base on MK? I normally use their site as a guideline and would make adjustments to my plan if they are only using crowd day predictions by MK and not the Disney complex. It definitely puts a different spin on things.
Yes its true (and one of the most often misunderstood things on this board).
Directly from Touring plans.com

Quote:
Our "crowd level" estimate is based on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being least crowded conditions and 10 being most crowded. The scale measures the peak wait time at the Magic Kingdom's three headliner attractions (Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). Thus, the Crowd Level is a "worst case" scenario, predicting the longest wait at any of these three attractions on a particular day. Predictions for parks other than the Magic Kingdom are an approximation
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We try to stay away from their park to avoid. While their data is based on MK, I think a lot of people would agree with skipping MK on a Thursday. Conventinal wisdom suggests avoiding the EMH park unless you are planning to use EMH and then hop to another park when it gets too crowded.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Inda
Earning My Ears

Yes, I would and I do. Len Testa is a God (but don't tell him I said so). Those nerds at the UG use complex algorithms and a variety of factors to calculate wait times for rides, crowd calculator, etc. If you read the website they tell you exactly how they calculate these things- there is no opinion involved.

The reason the CC recommends against MK on Thursday is due to EMH AM. If you're confident that you can precisely be there at 8 AM rope drop, then go for it, especially if you plan to park hop later that day. However, if you can't make EMH AM then skip it and do MK on Friday. There are a variety of reasons that people attend the park designated EMH AM- but don't actually attend EMH AM- but in any case, it makes the park more crowded that day. Those without park hoppers will stay all day.

Go against the UG crowd calendar at your own peril *shudder*. (jk)

May 2010 POFQ/Swan split
Inda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
saraheliz
Mouseketeer

Didn't see this posted yet, but that Friday is a grad night, which might be why the crowd # is so low. Park closes at 7. So if you don't care about the evening, that's great, but if you want to be there in the evening for the parade, fireworks, then it's not a good pick.
saraheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I would, yes. We followed their recommendations almost to a T and had a fabulous December trip. The one time we did not follow their recommendations was on purpose. We went to DHS most of the day because it was listed as the best park and had a great day where we got a ton of things accomplished with little waits. MK was the park to avoid that day because it was one of the few nights that Spectromagic and Wishes were showing (there were multiple MVMCPs that week). However, we wanted to see Spectro & Wishes, so we went to MK for the evening and it was unbelievably packed!! Based on our experience, their recommendations for best/worst park were right on.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
bitohoney
DIS Veteran

I'm arriving on the 20th and I'm watching the crowd calander but I already have my park days set. I'm happy with 4s, 6s, and 7s! I don't think I will have a problem. We went the same time last year and the crowds were very manageable and the weather was perfect!

Tons of DL trips, CBR June 2005 (1st time at WDW), SoG May 2007, Disneyland December/January 2007/2008, Pop August 2008, AKL April 2009, GF April 2010, ASMovies Oct 2010, POFQ Dec 2011, Disneyland Hotel May/June 2012, BCV Feb 2013, AOA May 2014
bitohoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: