Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
marydmjj
DIS Veteran

Father-Daughter dance ideas

I'm organizing a father-daughter dance at my sons elementary school. I don't have daughters so I thought it would be fun to do. I need a title for the dance. The only other one that was put on at the school was titled "Dance With Me Daddy!" I know my Dis friends can help me!

Thanks!

ºoº Mary ºoº

marydmjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marydmjj View Post
I'm organizing a father-daughter dance at my sons elementary school. I don't have daughters so I thought it would be fun to do. I need a title for the dance. The only other one that was put on at the school was titled "Dance With Me Daddy!" I know my Dis friends can help me!

Thanks!
Butterfly kisses
I hope you Dance
Chasing Cindrella
I loved her first
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
allison443
DIS Veteran

The Girl Scout troops in our area used to run one of these every year. Everyone informally referred to it as the father daughter dance, but they gave it a different title because they did not want to exclude those whose father was not alive/around, etc. There were a few different names over the years, "Sweetheart Dance", "Date Night", "Enchanted Evening" and "Winter Ball", etc. Girls could bring their father or other adult male relative.

I think it is very nice of you to volunteer!
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

I sure wouldn't call it Dance with me daddy----you would exclude half the kids that way! Ours calls it a sweetheart dance or a someone special dance....kids bring grandparents, uncles, moms, neighbors etc- not limited to just the kids that have dads around.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Ohiodislover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
The Girl Scout troops in our area used to run one of these every year. Everyone informally referred to it as the father daughter dance, but they gave it a different title because they did not want to exclude those whose father was not alive/around, etc. There were a few different names over the years, "Sweetheart Dance", "Date Night", "Enchanted Evening" and "Winter Ball", etc. Girls could bring their father or other adult male relative.

I think it is very nice of you to volunteer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I sure wouldn't call it Dance with me daddy----you would exclude half the kids that way! Ours calls it a sweetheart dance or a someone special dance....kids bring grandparents, uncles, moms, neighbors etc- not limited to just the kids that have dads around.

AMEN --- The Girl Scouts in our area will not change the name. My DD best friend has never known her Dad, and will never know him, her only uncle past away, and her grandfather is in a nursing home. Her mom dreads this topic, and the accompanying tears every year.

My DD, and another of her friends have protested by not going. They don't think it is fair. This was something they came up w/ on their own in the first grade, and have continued for 5 years now...We do a mani-pedi day, followed by dinner and another activity--movie, dave and busters, museum night.
Ohiodislover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
nexttrip4us
How many times is too many?

The girl scouts in our area run it too. The three years my DD has went the themes were:

- High School Musical - they called it the "Me & My Guy" dance
- "A Dance with Cinderella" - the "theme" song was by Steven Curtis Chapman--I think it's called Dance with Cinderella or something similar--beautiful song!
- Luau - that was the theme this year and the girls had an absolute blast! They called the dance the "Sweetheart Dance" I think from a cost perspective this has been the most reasonable one...easier to find something to wear--no formal dresses, shoes, etc. It really was adorable. I found coordinating Hawaiian clothes for my DD and her Dad and just braided her hair back and clipped a flower in it.

My daughter absolutely love going to this event. That is wonderful you are organizing it.

Have fun!
nexttrip4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

I can't think of a name, but I agree with those who say stay away from daddy and me type theme.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Our girls scouts have a Valentine's Dance. It's pretty much a daddy/daughter, but they are always careful to say for the girls to bring a special grown up. We've had dads, grampas, moms, special neighbors... my DD went stag this year because DH and I both unexpectedly ended up out of town. She had her pictures done with her best friend.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
WDWFAN9
DIS Veteran

Our highschool called it Pops & Lollies.

I'm HALF-Crazy: Going half the distance in half the states and having TWICE the fun!! Oops - got carried away, going for all 50!
FL, OH, IL, CA, MI, NC, IN, WI, AK, PA, TX, NV, TN, DE, WA, IA, NH, SC, LA, OK, NY, MN, WV, VA, KY, OR, RI, MO, AR, D.C., NE, NJ, HI, MS, ID, UT, ND, SD, WY, NE, ME, KS, CO, NM, MD, CT, MA, VT, AL, GA
50 States and D.C. DONE

one step at a time

WDWFAN9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

I have been organizing our Girl Scout dance for 10 years As a kid who never knew my father I was sensitive to the naming. I went with Me and My Guy for the first year and decided to stick with it, so we now have an annual Me and My Guy Dance. While most girls bring their dads, we do get grandpas, uncles and big brothers.

Have fun with it, I do this every year just before Valentines Day and they girls say every year it is their favorite thing we do all year!
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
majimikate
Mouseketeer

We call our girls and dads (or other male in their lives) Ties and Tails and our sons and moms (or other female in their lives) Buottonieres and Bows. I think this year we may try a family dance and have everyone come to one big one, so all can have fun together. Has anyone ever tried that?
October 2004-ASMu and AKL Savannah View
September 2003-AS Sports
November 2002-DCL
October 2001-AS Sports
November 2000-Caribbean Beach and DCL
majimikate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: