Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
gatormom2tots
Mouseketeer

Dragged my DH to the "Happiest Place on Earth" over Spring Break

Little background...

DH is a big cruise nut- we go on one every couple of years. And now the kids are older (5,3) it was time to take them with us.

So we looked at the Disney cruises....he balked at the price as compared to other cruise lines. So we made a compromise- a couple days at Disney before we left.

So I started the planning. As a teacher, we had little choice in our dates. And I was concerned about the crowds- DH doesn't "do" lines- no patience. So I purchased TGM, UGWDW, and Ridemax (yes- I am a type-A). This all started last June.

And DH got a little upset- too many late nights on computer and not enough attention! Not really, but he definitely thought I was a little nutty! Totally thought the whole Disney thing was just for kids and was just a filler until he got on his cruise boat. Mike- "Don't you think you have gotten a little compulsive with this whole thing?"

So we left at 5AM on Friday morning and 7 1/2 hours later saw the first sign directing us to the MK. I cried- yes, I cried! We had the Mickey March playing in the CD player, kids were about to jump out of their seats, and then.......my DH started singing "It's a Small World!" He was actually a little giddy himself.

We finally arrived at the check-in at Contemporary. Mind you- booked because DH doesn't want to "deal" with buses, he would rather just walk. Did I mention he doesn't like crowds either? I swear, we were a couple of bubbling idiots trying to get our luggage out- we were both so excited we couldn't think straight!

Check-in took all of 5 minutes. Room wasn't quite ready but we ventured into the gift shops for awhile until it was. Up to the room, off with the clothes, and into bathing suits!

The room was nice and large. Now granted, we have nothing to compare it to- I hear it pales to some of the other themed hotels but we thought it was perfect, especially with the 2 strollers we rented added to the mix. Unfortunately I lost the battle of the beds and DH and DS got the bed that looked right onto the castle....and he didn't even want to go to Disney but now is fighting for the best view!

Josh (5yo) went straight for water slide and Sammie (3) had fun playing in the splash zone. Just wish there was a place where I could watch them both at the same time! But the had a blast just playing in the pool for the 1st time in months. We picked up a couple of overpriced drinks from the bar and were in heaven.

Went back to room, showered, and jumped on the monorail over to the Polynesian for dinner. Now, to my kids the monorail WAS a ride. Thats really the only reason we left the CR. We just ate at the food court- nothing special as far as meals for this trip. We only had 2 days and really just wanted to focus on the parks. But neither of us were crazy about the Polynesian. Maybe we just didn't get the whole theme there, but it just didn't strike us. The pool area was pretty cool though.

Back to the CR and by this time it was about 9. I had raved to my kids for weeks about the fireworks from the room. But by 9:15 I was the only "kid" still awake! I tried to wake Sammie up but it was useless. So I watched them by myself from the deck. I was disappointed that everyone else was asleep but I knew we would have another chance tomorrow!

5:30AM came awfully early the next morning yet we all practically jumped out of bed. Went downstairs got some coffee (little pixie dust- CM didn't charge me), handed each kid a poptart and OJ in their strollers and we were out the door at 6:30!

Ok- now my husband is not a runner or speed walker, but he hit that sidewalk going to MK with speed. I could barely keep up with him.

Me- Mike, slow down a little bit, my coffee is flying everywhere.
DH- c'mon honey, we can't miss that rope drop thingy you talked about. I want to see Mickey!

6:45- The mayor steps out from the train station and my tears start up again!

My DH may have been skeptical about the ridemax, TP, and TGM, but 1 1/2 hours and 8 rides later, he turned to me and said "Honey- you did good!"

I won't take you through each ride, but we rode without any lines all morning long. I didn't really think it was going to be that easy but it was. And this is the day before Easter! The only lines we had was waiting for the Princesses (about 10 minutes) and the Fairies (about 15 minutes). But meanwhile Josh and dad rode Barnstormer numerous times. They finally stopped making them get off! Josh walked away with a "frequent rider" card and Sammie got a "1st rollercoaster" card. Love all the extra touches they do! Oh and the sight of my son showing Belle his muscles is priceless!

Thanks to this board, I also learned about the tricks with FP. We spent all morning racking them up. With 4 people and Sammie under the height for Splash and Thunder Mountain, and allowed Josh to ride with me and DH multiple times.

We left about noon, swam, slept, and went back about 6ish. We started using all the FP and picked up a few more. By the time the evening was done, we had actually completed 2 days worth of plans in 1, and still never a line!

We watched the fireworks, walked on to Aladdin a few times, completed a jungle cruise and called it a night.

Now after that day, i told myself surely Easter would be a little rougher and we would experience more crowds....not so!

Sunday started much like Saturday- up early and chased my DH down on the way to MK. Completed all of Fantasyland (again!) before 8AM ever rolled around! Basically walked on, stashed FPs all morning. Now this day we were leaving for Tampa so the plan was to stay until about 3ish or until the kids gave out. We had had no melt-downs and I wanted to leave the park before we had any.

So we ate lunch over at Cosmic Rays and I was getting ready to do Space mountain using FP. Husband is not a SM kinda guy so I was doing this solo. Then Josh pipes up "Mommy, I wanna go." Now Josh just turned 5 and I never even considered it- though we had 2 FPs. So I took him- thinking at least we were at the end of our trip before I traumitized him!

We got on, sat done, and started the consoling before the ride even started. That turkey didn't make a peep the entire ride! Finally it ended and I said "Buddy -you ok?" Josh- "That was awesome!" Looks like I got my roller coaster buddy for years to come!

We finished the day about 3. It was packed and hard to get out due to regular parade plus the Easter parade. But we completed our 2nd day- again with no lines! But it was mom and dad who gave out first!

Few days later on the cruise boat and my DH says, "instead of a cruise next year lets do Disney for a week."

My husband has become a Disney fan! It was way better than the cruise (and the cruise was fabulous). And now Mike is actually talking about becoming a DVC member!

And here I am, starting to plan for next year!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I noticed your countdown ticker. Looks like you got about 3 weeks to get your husband to buy into DVC so you can book at your 11 month window.

Glad you were able to convert him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: