Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #76
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

pro leash here too

we had one for dd when she was 2-3 years old and we were in WDW or a busy mall like around christmas

having her on it let her walk without having her arm hauled up in the air. it gave her some freedom without letting her take off (which she had done in the past)

people should look at it more of parents protecting their children while giving them a little freedom to be independent rather then treating them as a dog or something else as i've heard some people call it (not op)
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #77
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
(I also swore I'd never let my kids wear character clothing, but the first time my son seen a Spiderman shirt and his eye's lit up.....well you know how that ended )
Please don't tell me you let them wear light up shoes too?

(sorry its an ongoing joke on a baby board I frequent I could not help myself)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #78
momejay
DIS Veteran

I have a 14 year old autistic son. When he was about 7, I took him to WDW alone. He never really grew out of the need for a stroller & hates to hold hands. I used his bus harness & a retractable leash. He was faster than me & stronger. The leash let him know his boundries & kept everyone safe.

I have always been against leashes on children but, maybe if I had used one at age 4, he would have grown out of the "no holding hands phase" & I wouldn't need one today?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #79
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Oh after reading this thread I talked to hubby, he said we are getting one for the 13 year old and the baby. We just won't put it on the 13 year old unless he wonders off. We will just threaten to harness him with a pooh backpack.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #80
Pooh Bear Hugs
DIS Veteran

Slightly off topic but a young child has just been killed walking on the beach if she had been on a leash she may be alive now. Sorry if this offends anyone but the main reason I put them on my children is to keep them safe.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #81
moparop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceys_h0ney View Post

:lol:

Add that to the list of things I said I'd NEVER do too! As I always say, I was a much better parent before my kids arrived!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #82
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Bear Hugs View Post
Slightly off topic but a young child has just been killed walking on the beach if she had been on a leash she may be alive now. Sorry if this offends anyone but the main reason I put them on my children is to keep them safe.
Such a sad thing. She had been walking along holding hands with her great uncle. She suddenly darted away and was hit. You can't always be sure what your child will do. Children are very unpredictable.

Living close to WDW, I visit there often. I've seen so many lost children over the past few years. I've even turned a couple over to security. I used a leash on my daughter when she was little. I would do it again.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #83
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceys_h0ney View Post

Yes they have, they are amazingly handy at night when we are camping. I too have had this "debate" on a parenting board
Old 03-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #84
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Wait what's the problem with light up shoes? My youngest is several years out of them so I guess I have missed this "controversy" but it sounds intriguing.
I can't wait to hear this one..............
Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #85
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Wait what's the problem with light up shoes? My youngest is several years out of them so I guess I have missed this "controversy" but it sounds intriguing.
I think they're very ugly, but I gave in and got them for my kids when they were little.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #86
Goofy'slady
Life is short so I save for Disney trips and Coach purses!

I'm for anything that will keep a child safe. While I've heard many opinions on this and other matters that some will use for their families I rather here the praises from the happy families and the whining from everybody else on how cruel it is than "OMG my child was lost".

I'm a parent that got one of those so called leashes for our youngest daughter who is now 4 and no longer needs it but 2 yrs ago when she was two she was a runner and while I can pretty much keep up with her in our normal circumstances here at home mix her quickness in with heavy crowds at WDW and we were looking potential disastrous situations in the face. To avoid that we purchased the leash. It work for us and I'm sure it works for others as well.

Now, I must get back to making wearable ID cards for our trip in 21days.

T.

Me, BF, DD14, DD7
Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #87
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
I don't actually remember the alleged problem, it goes along with character clothes and Walmart. It has been a year or two since I have seen a good light up shoe debate on a message board I stay away now! I agree with the poster above they are awesome for camping! The shoes my kids WILL.NOT own are the ones with the squeakers in them, my kids are noisy enough.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #88
arielsleepingbeauty
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

Personally, i think it's no one's business if a parent chooses to use one of those "leashes". Unless their child is leashed up in the back yard all day long and is barking, there is nothing wrong with it You don't know someone else's circumstances. They are not against the law.
1978 - 1988 offsite , 1989, 1990 CBR, 1992-1994 offsite, 2002, 2003, 2004 All-Star Movies, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 POR, 2008 Pop Century, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Music, May 2012 Yacht Club, Aug 2012 All Star Music, August 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villa, 2014 Wilderness Lodge
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #89
SuperTink
Magic Memory Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklynn View Post
Basically though I've come to just respect other people's parenting models as their own and then make a decision as to what will or won't work for me when the time comes.

Wow. Voice of reason!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #90
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Another one of those topics where as parents you can't win.

If my child darts off in front of someone, I am a bad parent, (can't control my child) If my child is on leash (still a bad parent can't control my child need tether to do it.)

I don't care what parents do, if they think it will keep them safe and sound then go for it.

We haven't used one but I soon will have three children and only two hands so maybe one day I will need one.

I to was a fantastic parent before having children, so many things I thought have come back and bit me on the backside I parent how I parent and let the rest of the world get on with doing the same.

Kirsten

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: