Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
DaniB
DIS Veteran

My daughter is now almost 11. So back 10 years ago, my parents kept urging me to try a child lease and I was against it. I never saw many of them around 10 years ago either and I'm sure that influenced my decision.

However, she drove my husband & I insane at ages 2 and 3. Even at 4 she had to be watched carefully. Not a care in the world... run off wherever and whenever she wanted... to anyone!!

We always believed it was behaviour and parenting issues... It wasn't 'til years later that we found out she is special needs and the behaviour was normal for her.

If I had to do it again, I would have!!!!

My son is perfectly fine and never had to worry about him.

Sept 14-23, 2010 - 9 nights CSR 1st family vacation (w/ free DDP)
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #32
disneymeces
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedisneyforever View Post
I just think putting kids on leashes is some what silly. If your child is calm, i wouldn't put them on a leash. I think if your child has run away before, then you may feel safer with them on a leash. I don't and never will put my kids on leashes but if it works for you.....
the reason I put my 3yr old dd on a leash is usually when I'm shopping, I also have a 11month old, and sometimes I have to tend to him, and I would not want her to disappear, not that I'm worried abt her running off, I'm worried abt her being taking. It just makes me safer, and she doesn't mind. It's not like I have a dog collar on her...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
MM27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
I wish more people would put leashes on their kids as well as some muzzles!!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #34
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If they have a little kid who will run off the minute their back is turned, I'm all for the leash. It's a heckuva lot better alternative than losing the kid.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #35
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

We used the monkey backpack with DD when she went at 18m. At that age, children want to get down and walk. And you can not hold their hand the entire time. So you watch them like a hawk, which takes all of your effort. You can't enjoy your surroundings at all. At least when I used the backpack, I could watch her halftime, and look around halftime. I knew she was safe.

But it's not without its faults. When she did try to run off, you had to hold on tight. So that would (almost) yank her back. I certainly didn't want her being jerked and falling!

She loved having her friend "Monkey" right there. And I have some of the cutest pics of her!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

We used a tether for our kids when they were little. It gave them a sense of independence and us one of security. It's a crazy world out there and even the most attentive and cautious parent can blink and a child is gone - too many sad stories to be told. Parents with multiple children (or even one child) use it as a tool for convenience and safety. I guess the bottom line is - don't judge - there are a lot worse things than a tether.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #37
pixiefairy
DIS Veteran

We have a wanderer....and we bought the monkey backpack for him for Disney 2 years ago when he was 3. We brought it with us into the park, "just in case". Well...the boy pulled a disappearing act at dinner at the Crystal Palace, and from that point onward, he had his backpack on...even in the stroller. He's a bit of a "free spirit" and he isn't trying to be a pain, but he likes to explore. Funny story that happened on that trip...we were in the Epcot Character Connection, just myself and 3 of my kids. Josh was one of them...and he had his monkey on. I was holding the tail, and he was leeeeeeaning into it, just kind of hovering (as I hoped that it was stronger than it looked so he wouldn't face plant). The lady behind me looked at me and said "And to think I wondered why he had that on"..lol. Yep...because I want him to have freedom, but I want to keep all of my hair, thanks. We are going back this year, and he'll be 5. The monkey is coming with us again...and I might have to get a Mickey one too...for our 2-almost-3 year old, since he inherited the wanderlust, as well.

I always explain it like this - if you were waist high or shorter, and had to have your arm hanging out above your head to hold a parent's hand, I would imagine it might get painful after awhile, and no wonder they try to twist out of the hold. I admit I was iffy about the tethers for years...made it through 3 kids before we gave in....but it does give you a bit of a peace of mind.

And let me just say....it's cool to see such a calm and rational discussion about something that can lead to arguments.

Adults only, 40th birthday trip for my sis Oct 2013
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #38
splashmountainjaxson
AP Holder & DVC Member

But I do hate when I see a parent totally ignoring a child that they have on a leash. Just because you are using one doesn't mean you don't have to pay your child an attention. They are supposed to assist you in parenting, not replace your need to keep an eye on your child.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am not a parent, so I can't comment either way -- other than, when I see parent's ignoring a child, whom is on a tether, I do find it unsettling.

1979, 1982, 1984-1987 Poly/1989 Marriott World Center 1993 *1995 *1997 Beach Club&2002 Offsite /2004 Coronado & Wilderness Lodge 2005 Coronado,Beach Club & Swan/2006 Beach Club & Saratoga / 2007 Saratoga / 2008 Dolphin & Saratoga / 2009 Wilderness Lodge & Boardwalk / 2010 Trips: May - Saratoga Springs & Dolphin Sep - Dolphin Nov - Boardwalk Villas & Bay Lake Tower / Jan 2011 - Grand Floridian / Feb 2012 - Boardwalk Villas / May - Swan / Nov - Saratoga Springs / Beach Club Concierge / Feb 2013 - Boardwalk / Nov 2013 - Saratoga Springs & Boardwalk Inn Concierge / Feb 2014 - Boardwalk Villas / Nov 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #39
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"

If you've ever lost your child in a crowd, (Disney has crowds) you would know why.

I have seen lost children at the parks and they panic along with the parents.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #40
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I never used a leash on my own kids when they were little, although I probally should have as each one managed to get away and lost in a large department store, then one year my eldest sons g/f was visiting and we all went to Mystic Aquarium, I had the little girls hand and she began tugging and pulled away , it is quite dark inside the aquarium and I did panic as I could not see the lil girl anywhere, we all searched and did find her maybe 5 minutes later, but I bluted out to my sons g/f you need to get a leash for that kid, of course she took offence to my remark, but honest to god I was never so scared as I was that day trying to find a two year old in the dark amoung strangers in a packed aquarium.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #41
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

I hate kid leashes and would never use one.

Quote:
I wish more people would put leashes on their kids as well as some muzzles!!

Quote:
Odd anytime I have been to disney I havent seen much eye candy..usually its married fellows, who have been too well fed and too bald for my liking.
I would like to know when you are going and seeing all this eye candy? I may wish to try going at that time!!

I can see Disney's new promotion "The Eye Candy Season"
or

" A Year of a Million Eye Candies"

love it!!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #42
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I think it's a personal choice. I don't need to use them with my 2 and 4 year olds, but I know people that need to use them.

One of my friends has a son with autism... and he was a die hard runner. I would much rather someone put their kids on a leash then lose them in a crowded park or have them dash in front of a vehicle while walking down the street or some thing.

I do however despise when I see someone dragging around by the leash. Or the lady I saw last month at Mk... with a retractable leash on her kids belt loop. That was a bit.... tacky? I don't know - using a true dog leash on your child - who was also much older then toddler aged - just seems a bit... not quite right!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #43
moparop
DIS Veteran

We had two little boys 20 months apart. The older one was a wanderer/runner and it was best for everyone to have him on a leash (bear backpack) when we did things like the zoo or Disney. He got to feel like a big boy and walk and we had the security of knowing he wasn't going to disappear into a crowd. We needed it badly for about 6 months and have never had to use it again.

FWIW, I was never going to use one on my kids until they arrived and I had a two year old who thought sitting in a stroller was the worst torture known to man. I either A. sat in my house and waited for him to get over it or B. looked for alternatives that allowed us to go out as a family. I chose B.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #44
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

Our youngest was a runner and definitely needed one! The other two never did- better safe than sorry.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #45
Tara922c
DIS Veteran

Before dd, I thought it was ridiculos to put your child on a leash. I thought, "watch you kid, it is a child, not a dog!" After dd started walking, I understand!!! Now my cousin takes it to the extreme, (put her two year old on a leash to walk into a non-crowded restaurant), but for a busy place, I understand!!! I took dd2 (almost 3) to the Houston Rodeo last week. For those who don't know, it takes place at our football stadium, about 70K people, concert, carnival, livestock show, tons of FFA 4H Club kids, shopping, eating, tons of fun. I took the park and ride there, dh meet us. I was alone with dd for about an hour, and almost had a panic attack. Dh had our stroller in his truck, and omg, I wish I had a leash. I ended up holding her the whole time. (my arms are still sore!) Anyway, we don't use a leash, we use the stroller, or we hold hands. I am considering getting one for our next wdw trip. She loves to walk, but her getting lost scares me to death!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: