Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #271
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorisk3 View Post
Then they get out the choke chain!
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #272
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
The thread title here caught my eye, LOL. It reminds me of when I came to the DIS, back in early '99, another DIS'er, Snoopy, now gone from here had a trip report in which she discussed having her toddler (now a teenager) on a leash. I have not read this thread here, but by the looks of it with the number pages, I would say it is similar to Snoopy's, lots of 'viewpoints', lots of opinions, LOL. When I talk with Snoopy, I still reminder of that, as well as her double stroller from hell experience in AK,

Miss ya, Snoop.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #273
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Parents put children in a leash or harness for safety reasons. Some children (not every child) at certain ages are quite compulsive and inquisitive and think it's fun to explore and don't stay with parents when told to do so. For us we had a period when this was the case. If it weren't for the leash or harness, we would have needed to stay home and not go to large pubic places with our child. With the leash, there were lots of fun things we could do with our child that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. These inquisitive kids want to explore, don't want to be in a stroller / prefer to be walking much of the time, will eventually learn that it is important for safety reasons to stay with mom and dad, but just haven't learned that yet. It's not that mom and dad aren't trying to teach this. Different children learn things at different paces. Some children know things intuitively that other children need to learn.

I bet the people who are critical of this practice never had this experience with one of their own dear children -- watching a child at a department store like a hawk, never taking your eyes off of them, chasing them (being less than a foot away from them with your eyes right on them when you loose them), having them duck under some metal bars you can't get under and under various clothes racks in a store and loosing them for 15 minutes (which seemed like a lifetime) // Getting Security and others in the store looking for the child // child finally found crawling in dressing rooms when woman changing clothes screams when child crawls into her room. This is the personal experience that I had that got me to buy a baby leash. After this happened, I purchased one the very next day, and I'm not exactly sure how long I used it (my son is 14 now), but I think I used it for six months to a year or so. My parents used one for my brother back in the 60s for a period of time too, and they were/are wonderful parents.

It was great when my darling child changed into someone who knew he should stay with mommy and daddy, who would stay where we told him to if we had to look away for a minute, and who could identify people that work for a store and would have the ability to tell someone his full name, address, and phone number if for some unforseen reason we would be separated.

I say don't judge others if you haven't walked in their shoes.

Last edited by kathy884; 03-27-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #274
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
One thing though that nobody ever answers when these threads come up is what do you do when your alleged "runner" decides to take off when they have the leash on? Do they strain against it? Do you pull up on it? Do you have a retractable one and let them run 20 feet until someone gets tripped up in it and risk everyone involved getting hurt? I don't get how putting a lead line on a child who will not stand next to you will suddenly make them walk like a little angel. I am really curious about the theory behind that.

As I read this I thought about a Kat Williams skit about kids and leashes. It's not PC and I'm sure many would be offended so I won't post a link.

I'm still wondering how you keep a leash on an older child. All of the cute ones have claps in the front. A child that wants to run off can just unlock the darn thing and bolt.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #275
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

This thread was on the DIS Boards podcast and thought I would check it out.
I'm glad more people are using the safety harness w/leash in the parks. I was with a friend who brought just the wrist to wrist kind for one of her sons, but was not wearing it. We were standing and talking at DTD when he disappeared! He was standing next to me one minute and gone the next. We ran around looking for him and calling him. He heard us but did come over to us. After about 5 to 8 minutes of stress we found him. She used the leash for the rest of our stay at DTD. He was not happy about it, but he loves to run off and hide. Many years ago I thought the leash for kinds was crazy, then I realized they are a great tool to keep kids safe. And anyway who am I to judge other people and what makes them feel safe with their kids. This is just my opinion.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #276
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I am sure that my potentially using a safety harness will be least of my problems when it comes to other people judging my parenting skills!

I am a young woman in a powerchair married to another woman, and I will be the "stay at home mom." I expect to find enough problems with people judging me, so I think the leash will be the least of my problems!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #277
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
This thread was on the DIS Boards podcast and thought I would check it out.
I'm glad more people are using the safety harness w/leash in the parks. I was with a friend who brought just the wrist to wrist kind for one of her sons, but was not wearing it. We were standing and talking at DTD when he disappeared! He was standing next to me one minute and gone the next. We ran around looking for him and calling him. He heard us but did come over to us. After about 5 to 8 minutes of stress we found him. She used the leash for the rest of our stay at DTD. He was not happy about it, but he loves to run off and hide. Many years ago I thought the leash for kinds was crazy, then I realized they are a great tool to keep kids safe. And anyway who am I to judge other people and what makes them feel safe with their kids. This is just my opinion.
ah...inattentiveness.

Seems to be the most common cause (that and a lack of willingness on parents to actually enforce discipline and be a parent instead of wanting to be a playmate/friend to their child)

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #278
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Wander Off Husbands

I saw some posts about wander off husbands and had to laugh as that describes mine. My solution is that I make sure that I am the one with the rental car keys. That means my husband has to find me and the kids rather than me and the kids having to find him. Works out sooo much better / so much less stress on me.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #279
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCKY View Post
ah...inattentiveness.

Seems to be the most common cause (that and a lack of willingness on parents to actually enforce discipline and be a parent instead of wanting to be a playmate/friend to their child)

People are people. I am glad you can watch your children 100% of the time, and clearly nothing has ever happened to them no bumps, cuts, trips to hospital, etc. Excellent. What a great parent you are. I suppose you are able to enforce discipline as well without yelling, smacking, and all the other stuff that all the "good" parents can do.

I am just a Mum who tries her best. I discipline my children (but also probably would end up on a Dis board thread for having to gall to do it at Disney of all places)

If you want to judge me for my methods of parenting go ahead I don't care I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone especially people that don't even know me.

Kirsten
Old 03-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #280
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
People are people. I am glad you can watch your children 100% of the time, and clearly nothing has ever happened to them no bumps, cuts, trips to hospital, etc. Excellent. What a great parent you are. I suppose you are able to enforce discipline as well without yelling, smacking, and all the other stuff that all the "good" parents can do.

I am just a Mum who tries her best. I discipline my children (but also probably would end up on a Dis board thread for having to gall to do it at Disney of all places)

If you want to judge me for my methods of parenting go ahead I don't care I learned a long time ago you can't please everyone especially people that don't even know me.

Kirsten
My girls have had plenty of scrapes and bumps and bruises. I was never afraid to spare the rod. I didn't beat them, of course, but a swat on a diapered butt or a smack on the hand got their attention and they learned. That's how discipline is instilled. They need to know that crossing boundaries will have consequences.

I also know that I, as the parent, have the responsibility of making sure my kids stay within my sight and don't wander off. I made sure they didn't pick up something off the ground and eat it. I made sure they knew to stay quiet in a movie theater (or else I'd leave so as not to annoy others). You see, I taught my children to respect others and to know what their boundaries were.

I was a .... parent.

Going, "Oh, no, Johnny. Please don't do that." will only result in the child ignoring the parent and continuing to do what they want. Why not? There's no consequence in it for them!

edit: And what's making it worse these days is the ever-present cell phone. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a parent busy talking on the phone or texting someone while the children were running to and fro or doing something that they would normally be disciplined for.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #281
aspen37

Quote:
ah...inattentiveness.

WOW you weren't with us but you sound like you know what happened. He was disciplined my his mother. He is one of those kids who loves to takeoff if you turn your head. She has more than one child do you expect her to not pay attention to the other child and just stare at the younger one all day long?

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #282
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
WOW you weren't with us but you sound like you know what happened. He was disciplined my his mother. He is one of those kids who loves to takeoff if you turn your head. She has more than one child do you expect her to not pay attention to the other child and just stare at the younger one all day long?
There are responsibilities that come with being a parent. You're right, I wasn't there. But if this child is more prone to running off, well, the mother needs to be more of a disciplinarian and not the "Oh, Johnnie. Please don't run off like that".

Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #283
aspen37

Quote:
There are responsibilities that come with being a parent. You're right, I wasn't there. But if this child is more prone to running off, well, the mother needs to be more of a disciplinarian and not the "Oh, Johnnie. Please don't run off like that".
When we found him his mother told him "you know better than taking off" she then swatted him on his butt and then put the wrist to wrist leash on him. He cried but then got over it. Later on I asked him why he runs off, he said "its fun".

My sister was one of those kids who didn't care what the punishment was, she did a lot of things that got her in a lot of trouble and she never cared. I was one of those kids who hated to disappoint my parents and hated getting in trouble. We are all different and what works for some doesn't all ways work for others.

I agree that some parents don't parent anymore and want to be the kids friend instead of a parent.
Where I work a lady was in with her toddler the other day. I work in a lumber and hardware store. She was talking to another employee while she let her toddler wander off. The child was pulling stuff off the shelves and running all over the place. I finally told the mother that her child is going to get hurt and to please watch her. The lady was annoyed with me but finally went and got the child and picked her up.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #284
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My girls have had plenty of scrapes and bumps and bruises. I was never afraid to spare the rod. I didn't beat them, of course, but a swat on a diapered butt or a smack on the hand got their attention and they learned. That's how discipline is instilled. They need to know that crossing boundaries will have consequences.

I also know that I, as the parent, have the responsibility of making sure my kids stay within my sight and don't wander off. I made sure they didn't pick up something off the ground and eat it. I made sure they knew to stay quiet in a movie theater (or else I'd leave so as not to annoy others). You see, I taught my children to respect others and to know what their boundaries were.

I was a .... parent.

Going, "Oh, no, Johnny. Please don't do that." will only result in the child ignoring the parent and continuing to do what they want. Why not? There's no consequence in it for them!

edit: And what's making it worse these days is the ever-present cell phone. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a parent busy talking on the phone or texting someone while the children were running to and fro or doing something that they would normally be disciplined for.
But people have different views of things that are important and that need disciplined for. Why is one persons list better/worse than anothers?

If you let your child wander around the park - which is what we do, (my kids are 4 and 2) we are being inatentive if they get further than 2 metres in front of us, if we rein them we are inatentive as we can't be bothered to watch the child. Providing they are not harming other people why does it matter to you what option we take.

You can't win really damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I also take my child out of a movie if they are noisy, we respect other people around us but I also know you can't please everyone.

We have a stair gate when the babies are starting to crawl and until they know how to go up and down stairs. We teach we things that won't kill them first and then move up the scale. Bleach is not in the bottom unlocked cupboard but some breakable things are so there are cupboards they have been told they can't go in and they aren't locked, but the consquence is getting in trouble not ending up in hospital with poisoned with bleach if they decide on any particular day that they will try it on and not listen to Mum and Dad.

Again I don't care how others do it, as I am not their parents, I am just doing the best I can for my kids.

Kirsten

Last edited by Zeebs; 03-27-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #285
Cosmo.Kramer
The jerk store called...

It's crazy though that 'having a leash' on a child is bad, but giving them a spank when they're bad, isn't.

I am a parent, I have a 20 month old. And yes she wears a safety harness. Not a leash. A safety harness or that's what they call them in the UK. I used it alot of the time to keep Mollie either by our side or to stop her falling over.

I do not treat her like an animal and I'm sorry but yes, it does give her a bit of freedom to walk about without 'legging it' That certainly doesn't make me a bad parent, and for those that say, if they can't have a toddler walk side by side with them then they shouldn't be in the parks, I just

I would not have a restraint on a child that is older but I feel that they can be required, and again this is not to say I am right or I am wrong, however I feel I am doing what's best for my child's safety. Anyone, and I mean anyone who has had children can sympathise with the fact, that, especially the independent little ones will not hold your hand. That is not THE WAY THEY ARE BROUGHT UP. That is what a child will do. I put a child on my harness to protect her and to 'keep her out of people way and harm', so....

...bring on the 'you don't know how to be parent'. And you know what? Maybe I don't, but i'm 24 and I think I my damned best.

Thank you one and all.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: