Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #256
disneydeb
DIS Veteran

1st time i took my daughter to wdw she was 7 i put a wrist lease on her, it was the first time i had ever gone alone and i was afraid she would get lost , it helped with people trying to push their way thru us cause they couldnt , this was 20 years ago, and i vividly remember walking to pirates to carribean and some people trying to push way thru, the only downside , she let go of my hand in the store and went around the display to look a something and when it was stretched all the way out she took it off SNAP right into my wrist! like a big elastic band , brought tears to my eyes, shes lucky we were at the happiest place on earth or i would have proberly beat her( lol just kidding), but we have brought my grandson several times and hes hyper and we have never used a lease fo him, for him we used a stroller, that worked just fine.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #257
PADISFAM
Princess to 3 Princes
I can only randomize late at night

Location: the right side of Neverland or maybe on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814 View Post
Haven't read through the thread. Just want to reply to OP. My opinion is that it's nobody elses business at all if parents choose to use them or not. If you don't like them, fine.. Don't use them. If you do , it's your choice and it's a stupid thing for people to get judged over.

I'm here thus week and have seen a few. My 6 year old asked if she could wear one!! LOL of course I said "no, you're a big girl and don't need it" but I'll be honest... I would be more fearful of being seen by a DISer and finding a thread about it when I returned!
God love ya, I hope you're kidding -- who cares what people think about such things? ITA with your first statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb1232 View Post
Leashes are for dogs not kids, if you can't lick your own private area your not allowed to have a leash attached to ya... It's just the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewjubean View Post
I have seen WAY too many kids get hurt with those things. Thats all I'm sayin.
& probably OT -- I have seen sooooo many people (elderly) hurt by side rails on their beds & by seatbelts in their wheelchairs -- yet all *heck* breaks loose when explained to the family why they are not safe --- sorry, back to your regularly scheduled Dis Debate
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #258
danyella522
Mouseketeer

I haven't needed one for my children (yet).
If you feel like it will enhance or make your trip more comfortable, why not?

AKL January 2010
Poly May 2010
BLT January 2011
Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #259
Bouncin-Tigger
DVC + DIS = Expensive Habit

I think it is horrible to put a child on a leash, I have 2 kids and if they run off or wander away its my fault for not watching, if they are a runner or wanderer that is because I raised them that way and let them get away with it. I know I will get thats kids being kids or you cant watch them every second of the day and other flames but if my child ran/wandered or was uncontrollable that I had to put a device that is used on an animal on them to control and watch them I would look in the mirror.
10/19-10/26 1br BLT
2014 TRIPS
5/29-6/9 1 br SSR
8/1-8/8 Art of Animation
12/13-12/21 1 br BLT
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #260
Cosmo.Kramer
The jerk store called...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncin-Tigger View Post
I think it is horrible to put a child on a leash, I have 2 kids and if they run off or wander away its my fault for not watching, if they are a runner or wanderer that is because I raised them that way and let them get away with it. I know I will get thats kids being kids or you cant watch them every second of the day and other flames but if my child ran/wandered or was uncontrollable that I had to put a device that is used on an animal on them to control and watch them I would look in the mirror.
I really don't think it's the case of looking in the mirror, and it's not about not controlling your kids. If you have a pre-schooler it allows them to learn and walk beside you. Obviously you don't haul at the leash and treat the child like an animal but I think there's a huge lot of criticism on parents that are using it to be safe. Alot of the time I only have a tight hold is if our daughter falls over.
Fair enough if you use one to treat you kid like a dog, then that's out of order.

I mean seriously, If I looked at myself in the mirror wondering how I could have a daughter with a monkey on her back, I'd be looking for a park ranger not for guilt.....
Old 03-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #261
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Clearly I fit into the most terrible parent catogory. I cannot watch my two children 100% of the time, I like to look at things when out and about, I have to stop to scratch thus letting go a hand.

Now I have not had to use reins thus far, but I am expecting a new member to the family. I don't have enough hands and if I have to resort to one then I will.

I am just questioning the reason people give a flying fig what other parents do with their children.

You don't like it fine don't do it with your kids, if it makes you feel better to believe you are a better parent for not using them then go for it.

My kids love me despite all the "crappy" parenting decisions I make and they are happy so I will just continue on my merry way.

Kirsten
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #262
Cosmo.Kramer
The jerk store called...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
Clearly I fit into the most terrible parent catogory. I cannot watch my two children 100% of the time, I like to look at things when out and about, I have to stop to scratch thus letting go a hand.

Now I have not had to use reins thus far, but I am expecting a new member to the family. I don't have enough hands and if I have to resort to one then I will.

I am just questioning the reason people give a flying fig what other parents do with their children.

You don't like it fine don't do it with your kids, if it makes you feel better to believe you are a better parent for not using them then go for it.

My kids love me despite all the "crappy" parenting decisions I make and they are happy so I will just continue on my merry way.

Kirsten
I wouldn't worry - I fall into that category as well.

I takes my child on trips to WDW, care for her, feed her and treat her to toys every so often, but so help me! She steps out of line and the monkey goes on the back!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #263
ampc3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncin-Tigger View Post
I wasn't going to respond to this thread, b/c I think it is silly.. parent's have to do what they think is best.. don't judge others , you usually don't know the whole story!

but reading that specific comment got to me and is just plain ignorant IMHO
my DHs brother when they were little, were standing on a busy street corner (in chicago ) HOLDING his father's hand waiting for the walk signal.
When only God knows why he did this, his brother yanked his hand away from his father and darted into the middle of an oncoming car, also in front of his mother and himself HOLDING his mother's hand, and died 2 days later of internal bleeding, he was only 7~ so to judge and say it is the PARENTS fault if you have a runner b/c YOU ALLOWED it , is crazy... and rude.

That all happened in a blink of an eye!

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #264
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)

Never heard safety reins called a 'leash' before - they certainly aren't called that over here
Suppose the nickname conjures up a certain image & that contributes to the strong views.
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #265
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Toad View Post
Not at all. The comment that larryz found ironic was indeed very ironic. It was clear ducky wasn't talking about safety at all, but about control when he said "strap them in":

His backpeddling after getting called out on it was pretty politician-like, though.

I haven't chimed in with my own thoughts, yet, and only read the first and last couple of pages, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything. I am also one who thought leashes/tethers were ridiculous when I had just one child. My mellow child.

When I had my second, I realized why so many parents use them. By one year old, she could run faster than me, and since she was tiny enough to run directly under tables, handrails, squeeze between people, she could easily be gone in seconds flat. She could wiggle out of the five-point stroller harness and climb out in the blink of an eye as well.

We got a tether for her. It gave her more independance and freedom than the stroller or holding hands did, and it sure saved me many a backache. I'm only 5'4", but my hands are still too high for a toddler to hold without me walking around bent to one side, and the toddler's arm straight up over her head. Talk about uncomfortable for both of us!

As for the people who say "no one used them when I was a kid", just how old are you, exactly? My mom used one on my brother in the early 60's, and I remember seeing them most of my life. She had a picture of her own mom using one with her sister in the 1940's, and I've also read that they were commonly used in the early 20th century, though called walking reins at that time. So maybe your parents didn't feel you needed one, but obviously other parents did, and have for a long time. Not that that even means anything. My mom's car didn't have seat belts when I was a kid, but I don't think anyone here would think that was a good argument against installing seat belts in cars today.
*shaking head in disbelief*

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #266
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyL View Post
Never heard safety reins called a 'leash' before - they certainly aren't called that over here
Suppose the nickname conjures up a certain image & that contributes to the strong views.
I think that you make a good point. It's all a matter of perception isn't it?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #267
Dan Murphy
We are family.

The thread title here caught my eye, LOL. It reminds me of when I came to the DIS, back in early '99, another DIS'er, Snoopy, now gone from here had a trip report in which she discussed having her toddler (now a teenager) on a leash. I have not read this thread here, but by the looks of it with the number pages, I would say it is similar to Snoopy's, lots of 'viewpoints', lots of opinions, LOL. When I talk with Snoopy, I still reminder of that, as well as her double stroller from hell experience in AK,

Miss ya, Snoop.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #268
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

I do not like leashes for children at all. If you want to use one that is your business but I will say that every single kid I have seen on a leash is accompanied by innattentive parents. The parents are always looking the other way and not even paying attention to the kid. I always say to myself if that kid wasn't on the leash those parents wouldn't have a clue where the kid was. Now I know there will be a barage of parents here who say that they don't do that etc. but that is what I have seen every single time without exception. Do I care if you use one? No, it's none of my business- but I can still have my own thoughts on them.

One thing though that nobody ever answers when these threads come up is what do you do when your alleged "runner" decides to take off when they have the leash on? Do they strain against it? Do you pull up on it? Do you have a retractable one and let them run 20 feet until someone gets tripped up in it and risk everyone involved getting hurt? I don't get how putting a lead line on a child who will not stand next to you will suddenly make them walk like a little angel. I am really curious about the theory behind that.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #269
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

Then they get out the choke chain!

Our family

Last edited by Dorisk3; 03-27-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Fixed an error
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #270
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
I do not like leashes for children at all. If you want to use one that is your business but I will say that every single kid I have seen on a leash is accompanied by innattentive parents. The parents are always looking the other way and not even paying attention to the kid. I always say to myself if that kid wasn't on the leash those parents wouldn't have a clue where the kid was. Now I know there will be a barage of parents here who say that they don't do that etc. but that is what I have seen every single time without exception. Do I care if you use one? No, it's none of my business- but I can still have my own thoughts on them.

One thing though that nobody ever answers when these threads come up is what do you do when your alleged "runner" decides to take off when they have the leash on? Do they strain against it? Do you pull up on it? Do you have a retractable one and let them run 20 feet until someone gets tripped up in it and risk everyone involved getting hurt? I don't get how putting a lead line on a child who will not stand next to you will suddenly make them walk like a little angel. I am really curious about the theory behind that.

Their reasoning is that it gives little Johnny or little Janie the ability to exert their independence and be free to explore!

hogwash

A crowded theme park is NOT the place to let the little angels explore about. And what independence are they gaining by walking away 10-20 feet? How are they learning discipline by being allow to start walking away from mom/dad? How rude is it to have other visitors tripping over those little angels (and the leash)?

Sad.

Want to let them run about and explore, take them to a playground or a city park where they can be watched easily.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: