Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #211
LMN
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of staying home with young kids til they are old enough to stay where they are told... My mom used one on me when I was 3 and my sister was an infant in a place we could not have a stroller (the deck of an aircraft carrier). It was the only place we could wait for my dad's ship to come in... Sometimes staying home all the time simply is not an option.

As I said before, I will use one if that is a way of maintaining my child's safety, but I am hardly going to tether my kid to a table!

It all comes down to personal choice and the family's needs...
Who said I had the luxury of staying home?? I am home now, but only because I was laid off in December. Before that, I worked full time and did work full time when all 3 of my kids were toddlers. Believe me, children are very smart. When you tell them "we're not going such-and-so place" (that they want to go to) because you are choosing to run off and not be safe, they figure out pretty quickly that they need to make better choices in order to get to go do fun things. And to the pp that mentioned not going to the theatre until ds was old enough to sit still: I had to laugh! My ds (will be 13 next month) did not see the inside of a movie theatre until he was 5! No kidding- that's how old he was before he could sit down and behave for 1 1/2 at a time!
__________________
____________________
Me DH DS (17) DD (15) DD(9)
LMN is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #212
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMN View Post
Who said I had the luxury of staying home?? I am home now, but only because I was laid off in December. Before that, I worked full time and did work full time when all 3 of my kids were toddlers. Believe me, children are very smart. When you tell them "we're not going such-and-so place" (that they want to go to) because you are choosing to run off and not be safe, they figure out pretty quickly that they need to make better choices in order to get to go do fun things. And to the pp that mentioned not going to the theatre until ds was old enough to sit still: I had to laugh! My ds (will be 13 next month) did not see the inside of a movie theatre until he was 5! No kidding- that's how old he was before he could sit down and behave for 1 1/2 at a time!
I am not talking about fun things like movies or disney, i just mean in general. People here in the past have said or implied that these harnesses should NEVER be used... and parents still need to go to the grocery store and other such places.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #213
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
I feel the way. There's no way I would have taken my son to WDW if he were a runner. I would have waited.

Just as I waited until he was able to sit down without bothering others before I took him to the movies or Broadway shows.
Do you only have one child? It would seem to be overkill for a whole family not to go to WDW because one child still has difficulty with impulse control. Ds7 was almost 5 when we went to WDW, and didn't need a leash, but if we were there when the twins were 2, we would've brought the leashes.

We used them when they were 2 at crowded events, and didn't stay home, because that doesn't seem fair to the older kids (fireworks, street fairs, etc.). Now, I never brought any children to the movies until they were ready, because I didn't want to bother others, too. However, I don't see how leashing children can ruin the vacations of total strangers.
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #214
LMN
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 639

Trust me, been there, done that at the grocery store and never resorted to a leash. My kids QUICKLY learned that they were expected to behave in public, no matter if that were the grocery store, the mall or wherever and if they didn't there were consequences when they got home. When ds and dd1 were little (2 1/2 yrs apart) I did many a grocery store trip with dd in the cart and ds holding onto the side of the cart so that I knew he was with me. Dh worked alot of hours when ds and dd1 were little, so at that time, I was doing my grocery store shopping in the evenings with them after work. I don't miss those days!!
__________________
____________________
Me DH DS (17) DD (15) DD(9)
LMN is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #215
JDUCKY
Local Yocal
 
JDUCKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Right up the 429
Posts: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney View Post
I used one for DS at WDW when he was about 20 months old. That toddler phase can be tricky. They want to walk but not always in the direction you're going!

I had a simple blue harness with a tether on it. We were in Epcot one day, around the Mexico pavillion, and we were going left and he wanted to go right. Well, the tether put us at an impasse. I kept telling him no, we're goingt this way, and he finally fell to ground in a heap and had a fit. Some young kid, late teens/early 20's, walked by and mumbled "Poor kid". I looked up and quipped back, "Poor kid? How about poor Mom!" Forget about losing your kid; what about the possibility of an ECV vs. small-kid collision? OUCH!

Are outlet covers, cabinet locks, and safety gates ridiculous too? How about child safety caps on medicine? Or the child lockout feature on car doors? Boy, there sure are a lot of child safety products that could be done away with if we were all just "vigilant" parents!

D4D

Why not just wrap your kid up in several layers of bubble wrap?

Hermetically seal them up in a padded room with no outlets, bulletproof glass for a window, etc.

Never had any safety stuff when I was a kid growing up and I managed to make it this far alive....so did tens of millions of other people from my generation and before (and from after, too)




Child doesn't want to listen and instead throws a fit on the ground. Fine, let them. Just stand there and wait for them to finish or pick them up and hold them no matter the amount of screaming. Being a parent means having to put up with that. Fact of life.

They don't want to listen and want to keep walking away? Strap them in the stroller where they can't. They'll eventually learn.
__________________
Me(47) DW(34) DD(26) DD(19) DSD(13) DSD(11) DSS(8) DGD (3)

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #216
GSDRescuer
Tag Free since 2003
 
GSDRescuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 782

Didn't care about what anyone thought about DGD (2.5 years old at the time) on a leash. She was an extremely fast runner and could disappear in a crowd in seconds flat. The leash kept her safe. I don't care what anyone else thought.
__________________
Disneyland 1968
Poly 1982
Dixie Landings (POR) Magnolia Bend 1996
CSR 2002
Royal Pacific Resort (US/IOA) 2004
POFQ 2007 DGD(2) 1st trip to WDW
WL 2009DGD(4) 2nd trip to WDW
CBR 2010 DGD(5) 3rd trip to WDW
CBR 2012 DGD(7) 4th trip to WDW
Royal Pacific Resort (US/IOA) 2014 DGD(9)
GSDRescuer is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #217
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!
 
disneyjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 13,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of staying home with young kids til they are old enough to stay where they are told... My mom used one on me when I was 3 and my sister was an infant in a place we could not have a stroller (the deck of an aircraft carrier). It was the only place we could wait for my dad's ship to come in... Sometimes staying home all the time simply is not an option.

As I said before, I will use one if that is a way of maintaining my child's safety, but I am hardly going to tether my kid to a table!

It all comes down to personal choice and the family's needs...
I never said I would have kept my son in the house if he had been a runner. I would not have taken him to WDW
disneyjunkie is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #218
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!
 
disneyjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 13,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I am not talking about fun things like movies or disney, i just mean in general. People here in the past have said or implied that these harnesses should NEVER be used... and parents still need to go to the grocery store and other such places.
Most of us are saying that WE would not use a leash. We aren't bashing those who feel differently.
disneyjunkie is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #219
ILUVPOOH1
Adore the hundred acre wood
 
ILUVPOOH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Millersville, MD
Posts: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
I wish more people would put leashes on their kids as well as some muzzles!!
Can I put a muzzle on my teenager?
__________________
4/95 1st trip to WDW ever! (offsite)ASMovies 3/00 Pop Century 11/03, 10/04, 10/05, 9/06, 12/06, 10/07Pop Century 5/08 (bought DVC!!)Saratoga Springs 10/08, 3/09, 10/09 OKW 3/10(solo trip), 6/10, 10/10 DH ME DS (16)
Our home away from home!
ILUVPOOH1 is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #220
mking624
DIS Veteran
 
mking624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCKY View Post
Why not just wrap your kid up in several layers of bubble wrap?

Hermetically seal them up in a padded room with no outlets, bulletproof glass for a window, etc.

Never had any safety stuff when I was a kid growing up and I managed to make it this far alive....so did tens of millions of other people from my generation and before (and from after, too)




Child doesn't want to listen and instead throws a fit on the ground. Fine, let them. Just stand there and wait for them to finish or pick them up and hold them no matter the amount of screaming. Being a parent means having to put up with that. Fact of life.

They don't want to listen and want to keep walking away? Strap them in the stroller where they can't. They'll eventually learn.
I don't understand the issue of parents using safety devices. I have a very curious 13 month old and another baby due next month. Yes, I use outlet covers and cabinet locks as well as trashcan and toilet locks as these all seem to be "treasure boxes" for him. So what? Great that you chose not to use them or that they weren't used for you. Who cares if other parents do? It's not hurting you and your family any...there's absolutely no reason to criticize another family for opting to use them.

Personally, as a parent, I don't "put up" with my child's disobedience. I may have stood around once or twice, but guarantee that's it. My son is getting a swat on the hand with a scolding so he knows he can't just throw a temper tantrum any time he doesn't get his way. And that has curbed his behavior WAY more than just standing around because he is realizing there are consequences for his actions. Being a parent means recognizing you're the one in authority...NOT the child.
__________________
Mary
6/88 - GF/FW; 6/00 - CBR; 7/01 - CSR; 6/03 - ASMo; 6/04 - POFQ; 8/05 - PC;
9/06 - CBR, free dining, & MNSSHP
; 9/07 - PC, free dining, & MNSSHP;
11/08 - PC & MVMCP
; 6/09 - AKV; 9/10 - POFQ & free dining
9/11 - POFQ, free dining & NOJ/MNSSHP; 10/11 - ASMu & Halloween 5K; 4/12 - Disneyland;
11/12 - ASMu, free dining, and Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon; 5/13 - Disneyland/GC; 5/14 - AKV/PC

Last edited by mking624; 03-26-2010 at 05:37 PM.
mking624 is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #221
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMN View Post
Trust me, been there, done that at the grocery store and never resorted to a leash. My kids QUICKLY learned that they were expected to behave in public, no matter if that were the grocery store, the mall or wherever and if they didn't there were consequences when they got home. When ds and dd1 were little (2 1/2 yrs apart) I did many a grocery store trip with dd in the cart and ds holding onto the side of the cart so that I knew he was with me. Dh worked alot of hours when ds and dd1 were little, so at that time, I was doing my grocery store shopping in the evenings with them after work. I don't miss those days!!
I never had to resort to leashes with my first 3, who were all born in under 5 years - 2 1/2 years is actually my largest gap! Never thought I would, until I had my twins, and I had 5 under 7. The only way I could take them out without a stroller when they were toddlers was using a leash - didn't need one running into the street. I used to take a lot of walks with 2 one year olds, and a 3 year old. Sometimes I didn't want to use the triple stroller.
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #222
jundland
Mouseketeer
 
jundland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 194

I'm sure that this has been said a hundred times in this thread, but I'll say it anyway. We were lucky enough to not have to use them for our kids, but I will never fault a parent for using them.
I certainly understand many reasons for doing so. I spoke with a couple at Epcot one day whose child was wearing the little monkey back-pack thing, and they were extremely nervous in that large of a crowd with their only child.

So, if you are just nervous, or you have a "runner" doing something that you feel is keeping your child safe is not usually the wrong thing to do.
__________________
900 Miles from the Fun!--A Joint-May/June 2011-Pre-Trip Report

DIS DAD'S CLUB MEMBER #389
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1986 off site--2003 ASMovies--2004 POP--2005 ASMovies--2006 CBR--2007 CBR--2008 PORiverside--2009 Poly--2010 BLT--Boardwalk/Beach Club 2011--Disney Dream/Animal Kingdom 2012--Old Key West 2013][COLOR]
jundland is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #223
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation
 
larryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 2FAR2MK
Posts: 7,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCKY View Post

They don't want to listen and want to keep walking away? Strap them in the stroller where they can't. They'll eventually learn.
Do you see the irony in your statement? I hope so...
__________________
The secret ingredient in Dr Pepper is prune juice.
larryz is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #224
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation
 
larryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 2FAR2MK
Posts: 7,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking624 View Post
I don't understand the issue of parents using safety devices. I have a very curious 13 month old and another baby due next month. Yes, I use outlet covers and cabinet locks as well as trashcan and toilet locks as these all seem to be "treasure boxes" for him. So what? Great that you chose not to use them or that they weren't used for you. Who cares if other parents do? It's not hurting you and your family any...there's absolutely no reason to criticize another family for opting to use them.

Personally, as a parent, I don't "put up" with my child's disobedience. I may have stood around once or twice, but guarantee that's it. My son is getting a swat on the hand with a scolding so he knows he can't just throw a temper tantrum any time he doesn't get his way. And that has curbed his behavior WAY more than just standing around because he is realizing there are consequences for his actions. Being a parent means recognizing you're the one in authority...NOT the child.
Besides, if the child is firmly rooted to the sidewalk having a screaming toddler meltdown (STM), you don't need the tether at that point -- they are not going anywhere until they calm down...
__________________
The secret ingredient in Dr Pepper is prune juice.
larryz is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #225
JDUCKY
Local Yocal
 
JDUCKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Right up the 429
Posts: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Do you see the irony in your statement? I hope so...
I knew someone would comment on that.

*sigh*


Guess you don't buckle up your kids when you put them in a car?


There's a reason for buckles in strollers. Some of the smaller ones can tip over if a child leans too far over (or they could fall out of the stroller). The strap across the waist (maybe some have more of a carseat harness now?) is for their safety, not to control them like an animal.
__________________
Me(47) DW(34) DD(26) DD(19) DSD(13) DSD(11) DSS(8) DGD (3)

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who believes in putting their child on a leash? ten822 Disney for Families 51 04-01-2009 09:06 AM
Children leash illuminati Community Board 22 08-30-2007 03:54 PM
Putting ID on Small Children while at WDW??? hmhs Disney for Families 39 08-16-2007 07:37 AM
Putting the wild child on a leash! LoriAnn630 Disney for Families 23 04-30-2004 07:00 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.