Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #196
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegl View Post
Better than putting them in a cage...much more portable
Actually, if you want a portable cage, a stroller would fit the bill!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #197
waltskids
Disney Fans

We do not like them nor would ever use them. I don't fault parents who need them though. My DS often questions it though, and we just simply say they need the leash to be safe.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #198
babiektcher
Mouseketeer

I heard a man say one time "you put your dog on a leash, and you care much more about your children then your dog, so why wouldn't you do it?" I think it puts the issue in perspective.

Also, you only have to see parents wondering around in front of the castle at night crying because they have lost their child. I have seen it twice in all my trips, and would never want to be that person.
May 2006-offsite-Feb 07 ESPN wknd OKW- Dec 2007 land/sea at POFQ/WONDER-Oct 2008 MNSSHP at OKW-June 2009 BCV-Aug 2009 SSR-May 2011 Sea/land at DREAM/BCV-Dec 2011 MVMCP at AKV-DEC 2012 SSR-JUNE 2013 BWV/BLT-JULY 2014 OKW
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #199
JustKryssi
Licks Turkey Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney View Post
Are outlet covers, cabinet locks, and safety gates ridiculous too? How about child safety caps on medicine? Or the child lockout feature on car doors? Boy, there sure are a lot of child safety products that could be done away with if we were all just "vigilant" parents!
Exactly. I never needed one for either of my daughters, but my almost 2 year old grandson is a runner and the possibility is there.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #200
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

"This demeans the both of us"

Maggie Simpson
Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #201
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

We brought one for our DS(3) who has a tendency to dart around people and run off given the slightest provocation. Unfortunately, he wouldn't wear it so he was buckled in his stroller most of the time. I did consider putting the tether on my husband, though..he also has a tendency to disappear (although he doesn't dart around people like my son does)...so I would definitely say get one for your children and one for your run-away spouse

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #202
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney
Are outlet covers, cabinet locks, and safety gates ridiculous too? How about child safety caps on medicine? Or the child lockout feature on car doors? Boy, there sure are a lot of child safety products that could be done away with if we were all just "vigilant" parents!

We actually never child proofed our house with any of these things. Ummm maybe the child locks on the car ~ but I think they were just set that way.

My thought on these things are they aren't there when we go other places so the kids needed to be taught to be safe. It was definitely a lot more work than just baby proofing the house.... but in the end they know what they can and can't touch at our home and anywhere else we go.

Our meds probably have childproof caps too .... but really just by default. We don't have a lot ~ but what we have is kept in a cabinet that they wouldn't be able to reach ~ though they have seen the bottles and know not to touch them.

They know to stay close to mommy and or daddy (or any other adult they are with) because we talk about it all the time. They know they could get lost and that would make them and mommy and daddy sad.

I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone ~ but we thought it was best.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #203
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
Clrearly adopted children are a special case and you take into consideration what type of children you have before saying things to them. When I told my 3 year old that if he ran off he would have to go home with a different family he just laughed and siad noooooo. Some children do have a sense of humour. We didn't carry on with joke but explained then what he needed to do if he/we got lost.

Kirsten
Yep, to each family their own! And even each child in a family is different. Most kids have a sense of humor, but what makes one laugh might really scare another! (Disney rides are a great example of that! )

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #204
LMN
DIS Veteran

I would never have put any of my 3 kids on a leash, but that is my personal choice. I don't think it teaches the kids how to be safe in public. Kids need to learn how to be safe in crowds when they are little- it is not something you are born knowing. And they learn from being disciplined when they go against the rules. My kids are 12, 10 and 4 now, but back when they were toddler aged, they were given the choice to either ride in the stroller or hold our hands (because that is what would keep them safe). If they didn't like those choices, we left wherever we were (mall, zoo, etc.) And they learned (after leaving a few places) that we meant business and they needed to either get in the stroller or hold our hand. Otherwise, the fun would end and we would go home! I would never have taken the kids to WDW if I thought any of them would have run away from me suddenly. If they couldn't behave themselves and stay with us, then we wouldn't have gone. In our house, when you misbehave you don't get to do fun things and our kids have grown up knowing this.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #205
ILVPoppins
Earning My Ears

I think its better than the poor child having to walk around all day with their arm up in the air. We used one with a backpack for our son.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #206
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky4Disney

We actually never child proofed our house with any of these things. Ummm maybe the child locks on the car ~ but I think they were just set that way.

My thought on these things are they aren't there when we go other places so the kids needed to be taught to be safe. It was definitely a lot more work than just baby proofing the house.... but in the end they know what they can and can't touch at our home and anywhere else we go.

Our meds probably have childproof caps too .... but really just by default. We don't have a lot ~ but what we have is kept in a cabinet that they wouldn't be able to reach ~ though they have seen the bottles and know not to touch them.

They know to stay close to mommy and or daddy (or any other adult they are with) because we talk about it all the time. They know they could get lost and that would make them and mommy and daddy sad.

I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone ~ but we thought it was best.
this is the way we approached ti as well. We didn't use leashes or do the whole baby proofing thing. We felt like DD needed to learn at home what her boundaries were becuase the whole world is not babyproof.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #207
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
Yep, to each family their own! And even each child in a family is different. Most kids have a sense of humor, but what makes one laugh might really scare another! (Disney rides are a great example of that! )
Totallly agree, wouldn't try this line with my youngest, he freaks out if he won't come with me and I say ok I will see you later then. The little legs just about fall off as he runs to me.

Kirsten
Old 03-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #208
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
No need to feel like a jerk. Some people feel like they know everything and can't appreciate the fact that the parent knows best. It's not like we're tying our children up to trees. We do this for their safety. I wish people can respect others opinions, you don't need to agree, just respect. What is right for one person may not be right for another. By the way, you can store little "things" in the backpack. It is really convenient.
I have seen leashes on children tied to trees, and table legs, and strollers. All at disney.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #209
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMN View Post
I would never have put any of my 3 kids on a leash, but that is my personal choice. I don't think it teaches the kids how to be safe in public. Kids need to learn how to be safe in crowds when they are little- it is not something you are born knowing. And they learn from being disciplined when they go against the rules. My kids are 12, 10 and 4 now, but back when they were toddler aged, they were given the choice to either ride in the stroller or hold our hands (because that is what would keep them safe). If they didn't like those choices, we left wherever we were (mall, zoo, etc.) And they learned (after leaving a few places) that we meant business and they needed to either get in the stroller or hold our hand. Otherwise, the fun would end and we would go home! I would never have taken the kids to WDW if I thought any of them would have run away from me suddenly. If they couldn't behave themselves and stay with us, then we wouldn't have gone. In our house, when you misbehave you don't get to do fun things and our kids have grown up knowing this.
I feel the way. There's no way I would have taken my son to WDW if he were a runner. I would have waited.

Just as I waited until he was able to sit down without bothering others before I took him to the movies or Broadway shows.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #210
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
I feel the way. There's no way I would have taken my son to WDW if he were a runner. I would have waited.

Just as I waited until he was able to sit down without bothering others before I took him to the movies or Broadway shows.

Not everyone has the luxury of staying home with young kids til they are old enough to stay where they are told... My mom used one on me when I was 3 and my sister was an infant in a place we could not have a stroller (the deck of an aircraft carrier). It was the only place we could wait for my dad's ship to come in... Sometimes staying home all the time simply is not an option.

As I said before, I will use one if that is a way of maintaining my child's safety, but I am hardly going to tether my kid to a table!

It all comes down to personal choice and the family's needs...

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: