Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #136
RDM83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertides View Post
I was a very "oooh, shiny" child, and I'm a very "oooh, shiny" adult.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #137
BelleChick
DIS Veteran

I was a very clingy child and never strayed far from my parents. My cousin was not. She was always put on one because she would wander off. However, I always wanted to be on one because I seemed to think they were super cool...like a friendship rope...lol..My mom didn't and wouldn't put me on one.

I guess I think you should do what is best for you and your child. If you think it is necessary and your child doesn't mind it, then go for it. If you are at all uncomfortable with the idea, then don't.

"I go for those people that retain that something, you know, no matter how old they are; that little spirit of adventure, that appreciation of the world of fantasy and things like that. I go for them. I play to them. There's a lot of them. You know?" - Walt Disney
1993-POFQ , 1996-CBR ,1997-CBR ,1999-CSR, 2002-Off site, 2003-ASMovies, January 2004-POR, June 2004-POR, 2005-WL, 2006-Beach Club, 2007-POFQ, 2008-POFQ, 2009-AKL, June 2010-OKW, July 2010-CSR, May 2011-POFQ, June 2012-BWI, May 2013-CSR honeymoon!!!,Next trip: May 2014-AKL Studio Jambo!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #138
Mommy to Eli
Earning My Ears

Toddler on a leash

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've had fun browsing the board for the past couple of days. I got lots of great info and know never to pool hop or reuse and old mug but I didn't see this topic.

I am taking my son on his first Disney trip at the end of May and am very excited! He will be 18 months old. He doesn't mind strolling but I know he will want to walk some of the time. I am one of those people who (before I became a parent) used to say I would never put my child on a leash but now I am considering it. I think he might prefer it to being forced to hold my hand the whole time.

So are kids on a leash a do or a don't? Has anyone used those little backpack ones? Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #139
huckster
DIS Veteran

hi welcome let me just say that this topic may get you some answers you dont want to hear many people post their opinions and they can be very STRONG
as for me i would not use a lease .

hold on tight to your dreams!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #140
bellaprincess98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Eli View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've had fun browsing the board for the past couple of days. I got lots of great info and know never to pool hop or reuse and old mug but I didn't see this topic.

I am taking my son on his first Disney trip at the end of May and am very excited! He will be 18 months old. He doesn't mind strolling but I know he will want to walk some of the time. I am one of those people who (before I became a parent) used to say I would never put my child on a leash but now I am considering it. I think he might prefer it to being forced to hold my hand the whole time.

So are kids on a leash a do or a don't? Has anyone used those little backpack ones? Thanks for any advice!
There was a recent thread (Maybe like 3 days ago) that mentioned this topic. You may find in the next page or so. Basically, most people were for it especially for the little kids who tend to run off easily. Better to be on a leash than to loose your child.

I used to be like you. I never used one for my oldest son, and I always said that I never would, however, when my second son was born I was totally for it. He is a runner!

So if you decide to use one, I think the backpack ones are the way to go. It will leave his hands free.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #141
Mommy to Eli
Earning My Ears

Oops. I tried to use the search feature and didn't really come up with anything. Will try again.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #142
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't see the need for them however, it's not my kid on the leash. I don't know the child so I don't know what kind of behavior will come from the child.

Since it's your first time at Disney World (or at least with your son), you might think it's going to be total chaos with the potential for a little one to get lost easily. I find Disney World to be very child friendly and most people, if run into by a little one whose mother is attempting to corral him in, will laugh and be fine about the whole thing.

What I would suggest to you is to get a leash if it makes you feel better. However, don't use it right away at Disney World. See how both you and your son do and go from there. You may find your son adapts to a "holding hands at all times" situation just fine. If that's the case, leave the leash in the stroller and don't worry about it.

You can also do what my sister did with her four kids. They all grew up knowing that if they didn't have a hand to hold, they held the "buggy" (stroller). It worked very well for all of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #143
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

I would do whatever makes you and your child most comfortable. If you think that he won't mind being on the leash, give it a try. I think that the safety of your child is much more important than what others think. I have seen a number of children on leashes at WDW.

This thread makes me smile. My grandmother put my father on a leash when he was about two. He ended up on all fours in the grocery store barking.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #144
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

I've seen tons of people use those at the parks, especially the ones with the monkey backpack. And if anyone gives you a "look", oh well. It's not their kid. Better safe than losing your child in such a big, busy place!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #145
jenyakhi
Earning My Ears

I took kids to WDW by myself years ago when my DS was 18 months and my DD was just about 3. My son was a "runner" at the time, I was worried about the same thing. I brought the stroller and brought along a newly purchased "leash" just incase he wanted to walk around but refused to hold my hand. I was surprised that my DS wanted to hold my hand when walking around. I think he was overwhelmed by the number of people and realized that he may get lost. Anyway, I never had to use the leash. If you are more comfortable take one just incase and don't worry about what others think. Do what you think is best to keep your child safe

I am also a in home childcare provider and watch 4 boys daily between ages of 8 months and 4 years. I take the boys on field trips at least once a week. one of these boys, 17 months old, happens to be a "runner", his mother leaves a leash (the backpack kind) for me to use for him if i feel it necessary. I have used it once, the child doesn't seem to mind. I don't like to put it on him, if I ask him to hold on to the strolleror hold my hand he will and won't run off. I suggest taking your child out for walks and have him hold your hand so that he is in the routine of doing so (i like to call that practice runs)

Hope that helps

Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #146
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprincess98 View Post
There was a recent thread (Maybe like 3 days ago) that mentioned this topic. You may find in the next page or so. Basically, most people were for it especially for the little kids who tend to run off easily. Better to be on a leash than to loose your child.

I used to be like you. I never used one for my oldest son, and I always said that I never would, however, when my second son was born I was totally for it. He is a runner!

So if you decide to use one, I think the backpack ones are the way to go. It will leave his hands free.
Here is the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ighlight=leash

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #147
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've merged two similar threads together.

As stated previously, this is a bit of a hot-button issue. Feel free to discuss it, but please keep the discussion civil.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #148
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfollowers View Post
I second the muzzles, I sometimes want to put one on my kid
Do these come in adult sizes?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #149
wld
Enjoyed an anniversary dinner at the castle
Likes to travel light
Was madly in love with Bobby Sherman

I just mentioned this thread to dh. I asked if when our oldest was little if we would have been fortunate enough to go to disney would he have used her leash.(although we never called it this) His immediate response was "H*** yes. She wouldn't hold hands, hated a stroller and if you held her wrist she pulled away from you like you were killing her. Now mind you in everything else she was a very well behaved child (even others agreed) and grew up to be a lovely 27 year old today. Even her teen years were easy. But for some reason get her in a store and she loved to go hide in the clothes racks (lots of round ones back then). She thought it hysterical, her father and I thought we would end with gray hair by the time we were 26. There weren't many options then just this ugly harness thing that you needed an engineering degree to get them in. Finally found a bright colored one that had velcro for her wrist and mine with a phone cord like thing running between. She felt independent, I stopped having anxiety attacks and it worked until she discovered how to undo the velcro. Thank goodness she was past that running and hiding stage.
Now her sister...we never needed it.
And when I take my future grandchildren I will use one of the backpack type if I need too. Kids are quick and can be gone in a moments distraction.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #150
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I couldn't care less if people leash their kids as long as they don't dart in front of people and then somehow trip them. I had a son that always held my hand and pulled me along so it wasn't a concern for me. If he'd been a runner I might have bought one of the things myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: