Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
JennyMP03
DIS Veteran

Are there Disney movies you DON'T like? Classics, even?

I feel like this is a deep, dark secret. I love Disney, you understand, but I do not like these two movies, which are considered classics:

Pinocchio and Dumbo.

Whew, feels good to get that off my chest! I like Dumbo as a character, but not as a movie. I can't put my finger on why I dislike it.

However, I must say, I just hate Pinocchio all around. I don't like the story, the animation, or the characters (except Jiminy, maybe). I like "When You Wish Upon a Star" but rarely associate it with the movie so much as with Disney as a whole (unfair, perhaps, I realize). I feel like such a jerk for it, but I just can't stand this movie. And Monstro scared me as a kid. Okay, okay, he still scares me now! I admit, I think a lot of the detest stems from it all just being creepy to me.

There are plenty of more recent Disney movies that I don't like (the direct to DVD sequels have always bothered me, except for the surprisingly good Aladdin trilogy). But I feel guilt for harboring anything less but admiration for two beloved classics.

Okay, I admitted it. Let's hear yours! We won't yell at you... much.

Moving to South Korea in August. Hoping my next Disney trip is to Tokyo DisneySea!
JennyMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
jg121285
A friend of Stitch

I actually liked Dumbo except for the trippy hallucination scene

DGF and I did not care much for Alice in Wonderland (1951 cartoon). Almost the whole movie was like the drunk scene from Dumbo. We loved the live-action version that just came out though

But of all the Disney movies we've seen our least favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Did not entertain us at all and it really dragged. We both fell asleep the first time we tried to watch it and I fell asleep again when I tried to watch it a second time. <-- couldn't find a sleeping smiley
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
j&j620
Mouseketeer

Ok...here it goes...

I do NOT like Bambi!

Whew, that felt good!

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
aftertoday
Earning My Ears

"The Black Cauldron". It's boring and scary and weird.

In terms of Pixar, though, I'm not crazy about "The Incredibles".
Old 03-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Robert29
Earning My Ears

This is a fun post...I never really got into 101 Dalmations. Truthfully though, not really a dog person here so that may be why. Never saw the live-action one - was it any better?
Robert29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
JennyMP03
DIS Veteran

jg121285, that hallucination scene is what I remember most from Dumbo! What a strange sequence.

j&j620, I asked to receive Bambi as a gift, and though I got it, I've never watched that DVD. It's like I felt I needed to have it for my Disney movie collection, but I don't actually want to watch it again. There are certainly cute moments in it, but boy is it sad!

aftertoday, I don't recall The Black Cauldon doing much for me either. However, I'm a huuuuuuge fan of The Incredibles, but that may be because I'm a superhero geek in general.

Thanks, Robert29! You know, 101 Dalmations is not one of my favorites either. I don't remember liking the live-action movie any better. For me, I don't generally care for movies with animal characters as the focus; Finding Nemo and Robin Hood are the Disney exceptions, and I think that's because there are zero or few humans in those movies. When the animals and humans begin interacting (such as in 101 Dalmations or the Fox and the Hound), I find it hard to suspend my disbelief. Seems contrary to say since I apparently have no trouble with fish and birds chatting with each other.

Moving to South Korea in August. Hoping my next Disney trip is to Tokyo DisneySea!
JennyMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
j&j620
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMP03 View Post
j&j620, I asked to receive Bambi as a gift, and though I got it, I've never watched that DVD. It's like I felt I needed to have it for my Disney movie collection, but I don't actually want to watch it again. There are certainly cute moments in it, but boy is it sad!
Seriously! My student teacher decided one rainy afternoon that she was going to show it to my kindergarten class. I asked, "Are you sure you want to do that?" and she didn't really seem to understand why I was questioning her plan. 5 crying kiddos later, she got it. Oh well, I guess it was a learning experience for her!

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
PK Disney Dork
Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!

This was a tough questions...but here are mine:

The Rescuers
Cinderella
Pocahontas

PK Disney Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j&j620 View Post
Seriously! My student teacher decided one rainy afternoon that she was going to show it to my kindergarten class. I asked, "Are you sure you want to do that?" and she didn't really seem to understand why I was questioning her plan. 5 crying kiddos later, she got it. Oh well, I guess it was a learning experience for her!
The first time I saw Bambi was when I was in kindergarten. It was not a happy experience.

It sounds like we all have similar taste here-

The only thing I like about Bambi is Thumperr. Pinnochio is rather disturbing. My kids are not crazy about Dumbo either but I like it. BTW, 101 Dalmations is my DD's favorite movie.

Of the newer Disney classics I just didn't get Hercules or Pocohantas. And from Pixar we don't like A Bug's Life Much.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
raftislander
Mouseketeer

Hunchback of Notre Dame. It has some beautiful music, but it came out when my daughter was fairly young and, afterward, I was sorry that I had taken her to it. Only time I ever felt that about a Disney movie. May=ny years later we saw the stage show at the Studios- that was wonderful, much better than the movie.

raftislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

I agree with a lot of what people said. I don't like:

Dumbo
101 Dalmations
Bambi
Snow White

And I don't really like *gasp* Winnie the Pooh and his friends.

None of these inspire hate or anything...maybe Snow White though... but just an "eh" feeling. I'm not sure how I feel about all the direct to video sequels either....

[/URL][/IMG]
TattooedMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Up... it's sad and depressing, and the talking dog thing and the freaky bird Kevin were just too odd. I didn't buy it when it came out because that's how much I disliked it. Me, not buying a Disney movie! Shocking!

I also could do without a lot of the sequels. The Return of Jafar and Jungle Book 2. Not a fan.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
kampfirekim
DIS Veteran

The Sword in the Stone, Hunchback of Notre Dame, HATED The Wild and I would rather break a bone than sit through Mulan again! The Kimoto Dragon ruined the whole thing for me! I almost feel like I am committing a sin for admitting this! (But I have to agree with J&J620, it does feel better!)
PS, I almost forgot The Great Mouse Detective.

Last edited by kampfirekim; 03-22-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add a PS.
kampfirekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
kali3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg121285 View Post
But of all the Disney movies we've seen our least favorite is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Did not entertain us at all and it really dragged. We both fell asleep the first time we tried to watch it and I fell asleep again when I tried to watch it a second time. <-- couldn't find a sleeping smiley

Really? I loved bedknobs & Broomsticks. It's one of my all time favorites!
kali3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
Emme
DIS Veteran

Alice in Wonderland~ I think this may be only one of the few Disney movies I don't own...Way too trippy for me . Does not give me a warm fuzzy when I watched it; it actually made me nervous.

Also, Dumbo isn't my fave but I do own it cause he's sweet .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: