Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #91
Daytona99
Mouseketeer

Look at the Travelon crossbody bags on qvc.com. I have several different styles, and they have really long straps.

1968 - Disneyland WDW 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2003 - trips offsite; 6/2004 CR; 8/2005 BCV; 8/2006 BWV; 8/2007 BC and BWV; September 2007 - Disney Cruise on the Wonder; 8/2008 POP; POFQ 2/2009; AKV and BCV 6/2009;[/COLOR] July 2010 BW and WL ; July 2011 BCV and August 2011 VWL ; July 2013 POP and August 2013 WL.
Daytona99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #92
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat View Post
Thanks for this tip! My husband has been more than reluctant to spend the $ for a Disney vacation because he is afraid he will not be able to go on any of the rides with me and would be Grumpy (to say the least) to spend a week waiting in lines with me and then not being able to ride stuff. He has a 56-58" waist/chest. He flies Southwest with a seatbelt extension, but can sit in one seat. He sticks out more than he is wide. I have FINALLY talked him into going (this will be his first trip to WDW, we've done DL here in CA a couple times) and am looking for all the "Pooh-sized" tips I can to help make him more comfortable about giving in. LOL
Hi! Here is a pic of my hubby from our trip last month. He wears a 3x-4x tshirt and a 50-52" waist. He goes on everything without a worry. THe only thing he hasnt been on the last few trips was Dumbo, Goofy's Barnstormer and the Tea Cups. Not because he couldnt fit(He has been on them before) but we just didnt get to them- not favorites. Seriously - my DH loves going to Disney because he doesnt have to worry about not fitting!! He doesnt like other amusement parks because of NOT fitting - Your DH will have a GREAT time in the Disney Parks....LOVE Rock - n - roller coaster!!! Expedition Everist is awesome too. A trick for seatbelt rides is pull out the seatbelt before and as you sit down so its easier to plug it in!! Have fun and dont worry!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #93
Musky
Mouseketeer

Question Beating the heat...

I would like to know how you other Pooh-sized folks beat the heat and exhaustion of a trip to Disney, particularly those of you who go in summer. Let's face it, the heat and walking are much, much harder on us than they are on Tigger types. Three years ago we went to Williamsburg, VA on a 102 F. day, and the next day I had some sort of seizure and ended up hospitalized for quite some time. They could never find any reason for it (despite every test in the book) other than dehydration and exhaustion. Now we're going to Disney this July and I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen. The problem is the rest of my family is in terrific shape and I push myself too hard to keep up with them. Common sense tells me to take it easy, drink, drink, drink, and use my mister/fan, but are there any other tips you can give me to make my vacation seem like a vacation and not like the Bataan Death March?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Musky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #94
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
I would like to know how you other Pooh-sized folks beat the heat and exhaustion of a trip to Disney, particularly those of you who go in summer. Let's face it, the heat and walking are much, much harder on us than they are on Tigger types. Three years ago we went to Williamsburg, VA on a 102 F. day, and the next day I had some sort of seizure and ended up hospitalized for quite some time. They could never find any reason for it (despite every test in the book) other than dehydration and exhaustion. Now we're going to Disney this July and I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen. The problem is the rest of my family is in terrific shape and I push myself too hard to keep up with them. Common sense tells me to take it easy, drink, drink, drink, and use my mister/fan, but are there any other tips you can give me to make my vacation seem like a vacation and not like the Bataan Death March?
My DH is a Tigger type but suffered from heat stroke several years ago so he also has to be very careful. Your family should be aware that this is serious and once you have a heat related incident you are more succeptable (sp??) to another so you have to be careful. I am the pooh sized one but I worry just as much about him!

In addition to water bottles and mister fans we also bring wet bandanas that we put in ziploc bags. We can wrap them around our necks and you'd be surprised how much it cools you down. We also have touring plans so that we can get out of the heat into some air conditioned shows at regular intervals. And we take breaks in the afternoon during the heat of the day, head back to the resort to swim or relax in the room. Not only do we beat the heat we feel energetic for our evenings after an afternoon siesta.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #95
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Quote:
Take breaks as often as you need them. Drink lots and lots of water. Freeze a water bottle the night before, so that it slowly thaws throughout the day and you always have ice water. Don't be afraid to go into a restaurant and ask for a cup of ice water, either. They'll give it to you free of charge. Take advantage of air conditioned rides and shows (like Hall of Presidents, which is the COLDEST building at MK, or Carousel of Progress or Philhar) and the water rides. They sell these things that stay cold that you wrap around your neck, too. I forget what exactly they're called, but I did a Google search for 'cool neck wraps' and it pulled up a bunch of different companies. Also, wear a hat to protect your face and neck from the sun. It doesn't sound like much, but it really helps. Wear sunblock and bring it into the park with you to reapply later, since sunburn can make you feel hotter than you already are. I'm Pooh sized and used to work custodial CM at MK and was there from May to January, so I got quite used to dealing with the heat.

Above all, remember to stay hydrated and take breaks when you need them!

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #96
Nicole&Becker
Mouseketeer

Beat the Heat

Quote:
On our last trip we went the beginning of August! It was H-O-T! So we went to the parks at the park opening and then either had a nice sit down meal in the hottest part of the day, or went back to the room in the afternoon for a nap. Then we would go back to the park in the evening or hit the rides again. This really helped. It also helped to sit where ever possible. Those mister fans can really help a lot. Listen to your body and take it easy as much as you can. Get cold drinks when you can. I would suggest freezing a water bottle at night as well as getting one of those cooling bandannas you can get at REI. They are really great. Wear good shoes that are made for lots of walking and standing. Maybe you could look into getting a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) from Guest services. You can look in the Disabilities forum for more info on that. But it might help you to be able to sit somewhere instead of having to stand in the stuffy lines.

Make sure that you let your family know about what happened before. You need to be able to take it easy. If that means you all need to split up into groups, then that is what you should do.

Hugs! Good luck to you!

Nicole, Joel, and Becker (Service Dog) Plus the Kiddos
Kids ages: 6 & 4

Disney Vacations:
February 2004- Stayed off site (Honeymoon)
August 2008- All-Stars Movies, Deluxe Dining
May 31st to June 14th- Fort Wilderness Cabins, Plus Dining Plan (Upcoming Trip)
Nicole&Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #97
Shelli_5
Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySiren View Post
Okay, so how about a bra question? Men, shield your eyes, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm an underwire kind of gal normally, but the thought of having that rub up against me all day long in the trillion-degree heat just makes me groan. Any pooh-gals want to chime in on over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder choices for Disney? I'm thinking I'd like to go underwire-free or with a sports bra, but then again, I don't want the girls bouncing around, injuring small children, etc. I also wonder if a sports bra would be too hot, given the extra material. Also, I did just find a moisture-wicking bra (!) from Hanes. IIRC, it's a sports bra.

Insight warmly welcomed.

I like the no-wire bras from Lane Bryant. They fit well, offer good support, and are usually only $16 each. TMI, but I use deodorant/antiperspirant under "the girls" on hot days. Works like a charm!
Shelli_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #98
SnowWhite33
DIS Veteran

I love all of the tips on this thread, so I wanted to add something.

On Woman Within you can get 50% off of the higher priced item when you order 2 items-that might be a first time customer special Anyway, I used this yesterday to get myself a swimsuit and a pair of cargo shorts that convert from bermudas to regular shorts.

This is the suit I picked up and I'm really hoping it does the trick, I have areas I want covered (of course they show a Tigger person wearing it, but I think it will work)

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/...eader-18168__1
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #99
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I stopped in Dress Barn Woman today on a whim.

They are getting in some great light weight pretty shirts. I picked up a shirt like a tank top with 3 thin floaty layers in white with black, pink flowers and some green. It fits really nice and looks great on. It's also much lighter weight than regular tank tops.

I also picked up a salmon tank top that was in one of the pictures on the wall. It has a slash look, comes with a detachable necklace and is also very light weight. It's another one that looks really good when you try it on.

I sure was glad I stopped in today.

Connie

Not sure when my next trip will be

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #100
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowWit View Post
We Pooh Sized DISers know that we sometimes have to tackle touring the World a little differently than everyone else.

That cute bag everyone is praising on the bag threads? DI we know if it will "fit" us? Is the strap long enough? Will it sit right on Pooh sized hips? Or be stuck in an armpit?

Are those REALLY the most comfortable shoes when you are lugging around 50 plus more pounds?

Best place to buy Plus sized swimwear? Clothing? Best type to get?

Let's all share how WE plan, pack and purchase for Disney! We all KNOW there is nothing like the DIS to find people who are/have been in the same boat! Let's help each other...and make it easier to find/ask!
Bag-I stayed away from the bagalini for years, but it really is the best. I also love my Vera Bradley hipster. My backsack is also nice because it avoids my front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brekin67 View Post
no riders are patches you put on the inside of your shorts so they do not ride up. I love them. They have a website, noriders.com They cost about $3 a pair.
Ooh, cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burberryplaid View Post
This is a great thread!

I am a size 22. My park bag is an Overland Donner. It has a very long adjustable strap so I can sling it across my body. I don't even have to take it off on most rides.

For shoes, I wear Teva Terra-Fi's. I am not a flip flop wearer and sneakers make my feet too hot. I also need something supportive because I have flat feet and these
work!

I am a Body Glide user as well. I use it on feet and thighs.

I buy most of my shorts and capris at Old Navy. They only sell plus sizes online but I've never had an issue. I've also bought at Land's End.

As for swimsuits, I bought my current suit at www.alwaysforme.com They have a great selection and great service.
In addition to the body glide, I really prefer the Monistant anti-chafing cream for my thighs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb5280 View Post
Anyone have suggestions on where to find plus-size Disney tees? DH and I are both Pooh sized, and I was disappointed with the limited selection at the Disney store site. DH is a 4x (6'2'' and about 325), and I am a 22/3X womens or 2X unisex (5'6'', 220 pounds, 44G chest). I'd like to find a few before we go down in November.

Also, where is the best spot to find them in the parks?
I've seen a plus size section in the big WoD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySiren View Post
Okay, so how about a bra question? Men, shield your eyes, this ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm an underwire kind of gal normally, but the thought of having that rub up against me all day long in the trillion-degree heat just makes me groan. Any pooh-gals want to chime in on over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder choices for Disney? I'm thinking I'd like to go underwire-free or with a sports bra, but then again, I don't want the girls bouncing around, injuring small children, etc. I also wonder if a sports bra would be too hot, given the extra material. Also, I did just find a moisture-wicking bra (!) from Hanes. IIRC, it's a sports bra.

Insight warmly welcomed.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #101
CandyHead09
Mouseketeer

I'm your average plus size girl and I've found that old navy and torrid are the best places for plus size clothes.
Course old navy is MUCH less exprensive than torrid if you go to the back of the store where all the five dollar tshirts are and ten dollar dresses ;]

As for a bag I'd suggest a backpack or if you want something cute go to the kids/tweens section of any clothing store or claire's accesory store (sounds silly I know) and look for one of these http://www.belladulcecreations.com/i...0purse%201.jpg

I always use them for disney either those or a tote bag if the bag doesnt zip go buy some iron on velcro from jo ann fabrics or any other craft store like that. I suggest flip flops or go to payless and buy those SUPER comfy slip on sneakers that are EVERYWHERE their great for planes too slip on and off really easy be sure to go to your local cvs or walgreens and get mole skin just in case for blisters thats just a good disney tip for anyone!

Also dress barn has some amazing capris and figure flattering tops right now I highly suggest checking them out. Hope I helped!
CandyHead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #102
CandyHead09
Mouseketeer

oh and this may be a bit gross for some but it is helpful when you love sundresses and skirts like I do go to bath and body works or to the travel size hygene section in walmart (to find non sceneted since scented sometimes burns) and pick up a bottle of lotion to rub on your thighs to avoid the dreaded chub rub. This is some advice I give to skinny friends as well thighs are all meant to be thick haha. Also highly suggest the underwear with the tummy tuck thing on the top they are comfortable and great for when your feeling a little uncomfortable with your belly in dresses keeps you smooth and feeling better about your appearance. ALSO just becase your 'plus size' doesnt mean that you need to buy a shirt eight sizes too big for you! Dress your body correctly and buy thing that work with your curves! Bring a friend shopping with you try on a bunch of different sizes to help self esteem I start with the biggest size and work my way down haha seriously it works.
CandyHead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #103
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Lizzie
you sound like my dh and I!! I ha ve actually enjoyed making our own t shirts for our trips. Either iron ons or embroidery appliqué. There r some greAt designers on the creative disigns thread. Let me know if u need help!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #104
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Hi ladies! I just wanted to point this out for any of you who may shop at Avenue.com Their bathing suits are pretty darn cute (even the two-pieces). I'm planning on getting a new bathing suit from them. Maybe two if I can't find something else I like.

BUY ONE, GET ONE 50% OFF*
ALMOST EVERYTHING ON OUR SITE!
USE COUPON CODE AV101087 AT CHECKOUT.

*Cannot be combined with any other offer. Not valid on prior purchases or purchase of gift card or e-gift cards. Offer expires 11:59 pm ET on 6/5/2010. Not valid on merchandise shipped directly from the manufacturer, eBags and Palm Beach jewelry items. Applies to item of equal or lesser value. Regular price applies when purchasing one.

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #105
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli_5 View Post
I like the no-wire bras from Lane Bryant. They fit well, offer good support, and are usually only $16 each. TMI, but I use deodorant/antiperspirant under "the girls" on hot days. Works like a charm!
I second the vote on the Lane Bryant/Calcique Cotton no-wire bra! I dust liberally with Gold Bond powder. Until I discovered Gold Bond, I always had a raw rash under, to use the biological term, my pendulous breasts. I use it all the time, not just on hot days and no longer have any irritation problems. Also helps prevent all manner of chafing. I have even procured small travel-size containers that are a great thing to stuff in my Disney bag for touring the parks.

Another GREAT place for big girls to shop on-line is Junionia.com. They stock some exceptionally high quality activewear at fair prices--not cheap, but I have never regretted a purchase. I love their swimwear, tees, capris, cargo shorts, sports bras, bicycle shorts & leggings, as well as some of their "technical" underwear. Some of the mid-thigh cool-max undies can make even 20 hours stuck in economy airline seats.

They also stock things like "pooh-sized" fanny packs, shoes and travel togs.

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013, Oct/Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Mar 2014, May 2014.
Next Visits: F&W Oct 2014, Dec 2014
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: