Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #331
Nadjalu
DIS Veteran

Bump.....
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #332
tink15823
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSarah View Post
I've read through quite a few pages, but I wanted to ask about rides. I have never been to disney, so I really don't know what to expect. I'm cool with not being able to ride stuff, I just don't want to look like a fool in front of everyone trying to fit into a ride and not be able to do so.

I'm 5'5 and around 300 pounds. I have a very large waist though, and I'm a size 26/28. I'm also fairly busty at 42I/J.

Can anyone tell me of rides that I won't be able to fit on? Is there anything special that I need to know? I thought I saw something about a seat belt extender, do I need that?
I was around the same weight on our trip in 2005 I am 5'4 and had no trouble. I had more trouble with all the walking than the fitting on the rides. I am proud to say I am now a fluffy size 16. My dad is a big guy as is my brother both around 350 and they could fit on everything with no trouble . Enjoy .

ASMU 1996 ASMO 2005 2008 2010 Art of Animation 2012
tink15823 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #333
Lori S.
Mouseketeer

About dumbo, my husband rode with our dd (then 2) and I rode in the dumbo in front of them and got great photos of them! Much better than if I'd been riding with her!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #334
ambertides
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSarah View Post
I'm 5'5 and around 300 pounds. I have a very large waist though, and I'm a size 26/28. I'm also fairly busty at 42I/J.

Can anyone tell me of rides that I won't be able to fit on? Is there anything special that I need to know? I thought I saw something about a seat belt extender, do I need that?
I've been up to a size 36 at WDW and not had problems with anything but turnstiles, Star Tours, and Dinosaur for my hips. I think at 26/28 it was really just down to the turnstile for Haunted Mansion. I still do have issues there even at size 22/24, though that could be a combination of where I carry my weight and my (lack of) height.

For upper body issues, I'm not much help. I'm only a D in that area. I'm trying to think of the rides that have the shoulder harness - The Stitch "ride" in Tomorrowland, RnRC, and Mission: Space are it, I think? I'm not saying you won't be able to do those rides, but those are the only I could think would possibly be an issue.

~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~
Alix (33)
Gluten Free @ WDW Photoblog | WDW Tumblog

ambertides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #335
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

This is a great thread and while I haven't read all of it, I wanted to add to it. I just posted this in a different thread and posted about walking in the tips thread, but they both fit here, so I'll repost the basics of them.

Turnstiles can be a problem for bigger people, however, just mention to a CM that you need to use the wheelchair entrance and they will let you in that way without blinking an eye. No comments or looks. This is especially helpful at The Haunted Mansion where we asked to use the handicapped entrance and went right in.

The other tip is for walking problems.

I am a big guy. Short and stocky and dense.. like a dwarf from Lord of The Rings Walking used to cause me several problems.. leg pain, knee pain, lower back pain. Plus, I ripped a tertiary muscle in my calf that didn't heal properly. After two hours of walking, the pain would start. I invested in a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups Sneakers. My "walking life" has never been better. (yes, they're expensive, but I liked them so much, I have bought 3 pairs) The Sketcher's make you have a more smoother and natural walk. There is no jarring when you put your heel down. I've spent all day walking through Disneyland with no problems.. and my calf muscle healed in short time. The have sneakers and open toe sandals if you want to go sockless in the summer time. They're a little weird, at first, as you have a rolling gait instead of a hard step, but once you get used to them, you should find them much more comfortable to walk in.

My sister is a big girl and she's had knee surgery. I finally convinced her to try them and now she loves them, too. They don't really make you lose weight, but they DO tone up and strengthen your legs. I can even last longer in regular shoes now. (Note: they are not meant for any activity but walking - do not try dancing in them!)

Last edited by Chuckers; 01-05-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: speeling erors.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #336
lindsaykins
Earning My Ears

flight experiences?

Hello all!! I love this thread!! I am a size 28(3x-4x) evenly body shaped meaning big everywhere pretty much LOL woman. Would anyone care to share their flight experiences? I am sooooo scared I won't fit. I am flying with JetBlue on February for the first time. I have avoided flying because of my weight. This is our first trip to Disney. I am sitting in an aisle seat with my 3 year old daughter in the middle beside me. Thanks everyone!
lindsaykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #337
xbatman
Mouseketeer

Location: Nittany Lion country, but then again, isn't everywhere Nittany Lion country?

I don't have any experience with JetBlue, but I flew on AirTran in November and their seats are small too.

I'm a size 28 also and had the aisle seat with my 7 year old beside me and my 24 year old niece next to her (so we had the whole row). I had no trouble at all with us having enough room or with the space in the aisle at all.

I thought I'd need the seatbelt extender, but I was even okay there -didn't need it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #338
lindsaykins
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbatman View Post
I don't have any experience with JetBlue, but I flew on AirTran in November and their seats are small too.

I'm a size 28 also and had the aisle seat with my 7 year old beside me and my 24 year old niece next to her (so we had the whole row). I had no trouble at all with us having enough room or with the space in the aisle at all.

I thought I'd need the seatbelt extender, but I was even okay there -didn't need it.
Thanks so much!! You made me feel much less nervous
lindsaykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #339
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Avenue has some wide-calf boots
Jessica London does too! I get compliments all the time!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #340
Blackbeltdisneygirl

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianBecky View Post
Another question--any tips or tricks for all the walking in the park? I'm in pretty good shape for my size (exercise a few times a week), but my DH isn't. I'm hoping to start him on walking now, so we can build up before our vacation, but any other ideas would be welcome!
Hi! Even though you are in good shape for your size, you WILL be sore! I am a pooh sized black belt, so I train frequently, and I was in terrible pain from walking! You have to have the right shoes, and you should probably get started on that walking! We pulled our treadmill in last night. As for shoes, I am taking several pairs of Crocs as I have plantar fascitis, and am looking into fit flops, Teva flip flops, and Sketchers shape ups (which I think are seriously ugly, but everyone swears by them.). Taking care of your feet at Disney is key. I was desperate for more changes of shoes in the park the first couple of days, so I started bringing more. I tried the Disney crocs on in the parks and was disappointed in the amount of support, so I didn't buy any. Good luck!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #341
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

I don't have any advice about JetBlue or AirTran, but I flew Southwest for my last trip. The seats were very narrow, and I'm glad I decided to buy the Customer of Size ticket (aka, a double seat). I was the only comfortable person on the plane

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #342
hivemama
Mouseketeer

This thread has been so helpful! I think my eyes may be permanently crossed after reading through 23 pages I am looking forward to our trip so much more now!
hivemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #343
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Hi fellow Pooh sized pals! I just gotta shout something out b/c I am so excited about it! I may even start a thread b/c I am so excited! I used my fluff to come up with a great idea! For years my mom has been trying to get me to take off some Pooh pounds. She tries to make deals with me...I'll give you this if you lose 50 pounds...etc.... I've been trying to get her to commit to watching all five of my kiddos so my hubby and I can go to Disney alone! She couldn't understand why I'd want to go without the kids! Today I put the two things together, and guess what? My momma has agreed to watch my kids if I lose 75 pounds! I wanted to lose the pounds anyway, so this is major incentive! I'm so excited! A family trip in May, and a honeymoon 13 years after the wedding (well, maybe 14 by the time those pounds come off)! Yay!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #344
bean24
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaykins View Post
Hello all!! I love this thread!! I am a size 28(3x-4x) evenly body shaped meaning big everywhere pretty much LOL woman. Would anyone care to share their flight experiences? I am sooooo scared I won't fit. I am flying with JetBlue on February for the first time. I have avoided flying because of my weight. This is our first trip to Disney. I am sitting in an aisle seat with my 3 year old daughter in the middle beside me. Thanks everyone!
I am a 22/24 and fit in the Jet Blue seats fine. I think your daughter being next to you will make it even easier since you can raise the arm rests and spread out a bit.

Me DH DS (2)
bean24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #345
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Anxiously waiting a report on how the new lap bars on Splash affect the pooh sized guests...
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: