Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #46
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Thanks for keeping the thread going solar! I've been a little busy! I have a walkathon this coming weekend and then another 5K on the 19th! SO excited!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #47
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

:)

That's awesome...let us know how it goes! Good luck with everything
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #48
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

I was perusing WISH this evening (a bit bored at work) and found this thread.

First of all, LOVE that all of you are doing this!! SO awesome!! Deb, your attitude is incredible, and 3 halfs! So impressed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 View Post

I really, really want to do the Princess marathon. I will be 40 in January and this is my present to myself. My DH said he would go with me but I would rather go with a friend. He is not a Disney lover and I know if he goes and is miserable that will make me miserable also. I decided that if I can't find another friend to go with me I am going alone. I know it will probably be a little lonely not having someone there to celebrate with but I am doing this for me and to prove to myself that I can. Sorry this is so long.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Hi SouthernGirl!! I did the Princess this year with 8 women I met through WISH. We are all planning to do it again in 2011. Please come join our WISH In Search Of My Body thread, if you want? We are on Vol 9 but there is always room for one more! We are varying degrees of speed/pace/weight/etc.

About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.


I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!


Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!!
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #49
Daisybelle
You don't have to go fast, you just have to go
 
Daisybelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
About me (if you care!):

I started this running journey in Jan, when the thought of doing the Princess became real and I started training... at 220 lbs. I could barely do an 18-20 min mile, and was freaking as the Princess has the 16mm time limit.

I mostly trained to walk, with some run intervals. For my 2 short runs during the week, I started at a 1/5 interval (run 1, walk 5), and was up to 1/1s at the end of the 8 weeks leading up to the Princess. For the long runs, I mostly concentrated on walking speed, as I knew that the walking speed is what would keep me on the course.

So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.


I highly recommend the run/walk programs. I keep telling myself, I can run for 1 minute! It's only 1 minute, right?

Oh, and I caught the running bug for sure... joined a local Galloway training program and have signed up for halfs in Aug (RnR in Chicago) and in Nov (OBX). Be careful, it's addictive!


Keep up the great work ladies, you are SO inspiring, and big girls can definitely run too!!!
I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?
__________________
& DD(19!)
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #50
choirchic
DIS Veteran
 
choirchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?
I was just thinking the same thing! I have another 5K next weekend and my only goal is to better my time...even if it's just by a second!
__________________
Join me on my fitness journey!
http://www.facebook.com/TheContraryAthlete
choirchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #51
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?
I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace!

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #52
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
So, I did finish the Princess, in 3:11! I ran some, but honestly I walked at least 75% of it. Oh, and I lost 30 lbs somewhere along the way.


awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #53
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
I'm currently at a 19-20 minute mile and feel like I'm never going to get faster at this point! Did those of you who are doing a run/walk find that your walking time improved?
I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #54
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post
I definitely did. By the end of the 8 weeks I went from walking a 3.4 (18mm I think) on the treadmill and dying, to a 4.0-4.2 (15/14 mm). I think I was so relieved to just be walking during the walk intervals, that I could keep a faster pace!

It also helped to have a goal. Since the Princess closes the course at 3.5 hours, I was basically run/walking from the sweepers (in my mind anyhow!), everytime I got on the dreadmill.
they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com

Last edited by solar; 06-09-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: .
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #55
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post


awesome, and so glad you found us here -- you're right, the run/walk is what helped me go...I can do this too
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
...
ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)

I should mention - fell down the stairs back in January - and have had tailbone issues since then -- if i try to run faster I pick up too much hip gyration and it causes too much discomfort in my tailbone area--- so i'll just run more, instead of faster to keep my form in tact without the pain

I originally trained for 3/1 -- and somehow ended up getting comfortable at a 1/1....i'm currently going back to a 2/1 and 3/1 in training. I have 2 more half marathons (Oct and Nov) and am hoping this increases my time.

It's finding what works for you
Interesting about the weight loss and the getting faster!! I am trying to shave off another 10-15 lbs before my Aug 1 half.

Sorry about the tailbone.

I am training with a local Galloway program here in Raleigh (6:30AM Sat runs, ). I joined the 13 pace group, and they recommend 1/1s. You don't go up to 3/1s until you get to the 10:30 pace group.

I have personally found, and of course, YMMV, esp with the tailbone, that if I go to 3/1s or 3/2s, I start hurting. 1/1s with a 2/1 thrown in here and there, and I seem to recover a lot better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
they do say that...but just a tiny thing to help relieve you a little bit, it took me 3:52 to finish, and finish i did with the back of the pack....once you get past about mile 11 or 12, the fear of the sweep is gone, because you're back in the park -- but just made it past the sweep at mile 10 for me...i lost 5 mins in a porta potty line, and maybe 3-5 mins stopping to re-vaseline my one foot - but even with that, i beat the sweep -- think they were a tiny bit generous with the time...and people finished behind me also..think up to 4 (even though honestly, it does say 3.5) -- train for 3.5 -- but don't panic yourself...you'll move faster then you think with adrenalin kicking in
I also found out, about 2 weeks before, that they don't start the 3.5 timeclock until the last person crosses the start line. Maybe it was better I didn't know that in training! I didn't cross the start line until 6:25 or so and was far from the last one to cross (front of corral D), so depending on your start position, that buys extra time too.


If I ever try a full, I might try the Nov OBX one, in the Outer Banks. They open the course at 7AM and don't close it until 3PM... that goes for the half marathoners too as they share the course and the halfers start at the same time, just in the middle.


Oh, and I have been reading all of your blogs. I love blogs.
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #56
Daisybelle
You don't have to go fast, you just have to go
 
Daisybelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
I average about an 18 min mile and need to get faster...I have tried to increase my walk speed, but that isn't happening. I'm going to increase my run intervals instead, since i pick up speed there. -- when i run more, i can hit 16 mins --- ALSO, good news as you're losing weight, you'll shave 2 seconds off for every pound you lose (what i've seen multiple times)
Well that's encouraging to hear (read)! I'm trying to hold off on starting the intervals until I get new shoes next month. I bought new ones at the beginning of May but I don't love them and I don't think they'll be great for running.

I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog! I check it every day and have learned A LOT. Thank you for documenting your journey!
__________________
& DD(19!)
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #57
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

Yay! Deb, I found a way to add your blog feed to my google reader. Ahh, technology! I also am now a "follower" for the two from the first page.

Later today I am looking forward to reading your Princess HM report.
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #58
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

thx

about the blog - thanks so much...i'm laying low right now, and trying to let my tailbone heal.

I fell in Jan. and haven't stopped moving -- so while I've been in lazy mode, i think it's actually helping. Going to stay in slow motion for a few more days and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers! OBX - I saw that and almost signed up!!! i signed up for AmishHalf.com instead though because it's closer to home.
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #59
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,576

Haha, I just commented.

The OBX one is about 3 hours from me. There is a Raleigh City of Oaks that is the weekend before, which is right in my backyard, but I have heard it is a competitive (under 3 hour), hilly course.

I don't think I am really ready for that... maybe next year. Plus I have a friend from Chicago coming down to do it with me (same friend for the Aug 1 RnR), and it will be a fun beach weekend.
__________________
Kat
HockeyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #60
solar
DIS Veteran
 
solar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 690

--

thx, just saw

glad your injury healed too...yeah, i'm nervous about the resting too long - and not restarting, but i think having races in the fall will help push me again

I hit Disney next week, so i'll be walking there, but that's all i'll do
__________________
Upcoming 2011: Princess 1/2 , Bucks Co 1/2, The Wild Half, Hershey Half
Completed: Princess 1/2, Bucks 1/2, Superhero 1/2

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why does the team call a blog post "a blog"? Revan The DIS Unplugged Podcast 2 12-10-2009 01:48 PM
Any experience with Boys & Girls club or Girls, Inc? hereyago Community Board 2 05-18-2009 08:45 PM
Here come the girls, girls,girls,girls March- Day 1 tinksprinkles Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board 7 05-10-2009 04:12 PM
Girls Only! No boys allowed... and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! Updated w/ pics ~ 9/7! Cotta Completed Trip Reports 22 10-10-2007 02:43 PM
Inspired by the Seasonale Girls: Nuvaring Girls? Caradana Community Board 5 05-11-2005 05:52 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.