Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
amir
Earning My Ears

First trip Alone EVER!

Any suggestions, staying POP century. And no hubby or kids.
amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Do what you want, when you want, for as long as you want. You can eat when you're hungry, use single rider lines, and just sit and people watch, if you like. Shop 'til you drop or ride Buzz Lightyear six times. Go to a spa, lounge by the pool. It's a different experience, but being alone has its own special joy!

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

You'll love it! I have been doing solo trips for the last few years and always enjoy it.

I love getting up when I want, doing what I want and on my own timeline.

Enjoy!

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir View Post
Any suggestions, staying POP century. And no hubby or kids.
Good For You! As is typical, I was with a large family group last trip and by week two I needed alone time. I literally left everyone behind and went to MK for the day and had the Best time.....I think I took a bazillion pix and rode rides and enjoyed all the sights and sounds And yummy aroma's and had some great snacks, and just enjoyed the time. I ate at that place by the haunted mansion (forgot the name) upstairs and totally relaxed and actually enjoyed a slower paced meal without talking and yelling and "energy aka drama" of the family bombarding me....my own family thought It was weird, but I truly enjoyed my hours/day of alone time...I teased them all and said what good company I was.
SO, have a wonderful time doing what you want to do, when you want too, and how you want too! And get some photopass pix to share online, even if you don't end up buying them
Heres wishing you a Magical trip!!!

Last edited by a1tinkfans; 05-14-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: oops, typo
a1tinkfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

OMG - lounge by the pool. Go out to dinner each night. Stay in bed late one or two days.

Leave your clothes on the floor, the top off the toothpaste, and residue from your eye make-up in the sink.

Curl up with a good book each night, or enjoy a nightcap in the lounge.

Get to know people in line; strike up a conversation.

Get to know the CM's at your resort; they will look for you when you come back each evening.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Talking Solo

I have been several times solo and LOVE IT!!!!! You are not going to believe the freedom you have! You get to go where YOU want, when YOU want! YOU get to dine where & when YOU want! The only person on this trip to make happy is YOU!!!

Some suggestions:

There are some attractions that have designated single rider lines. Others (like Soarin') just listen to the Cast Member, as they may be looking for single riders. This happened to me several times, so it was great to go from the back of the line to the front and on the attraction quickly. Choose some restaurants that you may not have the chance to go to when you are with family and ENJOY!!!
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Terk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
amir
Earning My Ears

Thank you all, I'm really nervous. I know that is silly, it's disney.
amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
dauser
Mouseketeer

Yes, I agree with everyone else that you will love it. You are in charge and get to do whatever you want!

Animal Kingdom needs Pandas!

Jun 2014 - DL - Carousel Inn; Mar 2014 - DL - (solo day trip combined with work trip); Sep 2013 - WDW - Pop Century (solo trip combined with work trip); Aug 2013 - DL - Best Western Park Place Inn; Dec 2012 - WDW - All-Star Sports (solo trip); August 2012 - DL - Park Vue Inn; May 2012 - DL - Dolphin Cove; Dec 2011 - DL - Grand Californian (solo trip); Aug 2011 - DL - DLH: Mar 2011 - DLP - Sequoia Lodge (solo trip); Nov 2010 - WDW Polynesian/UO Royal Pacific; Apr 2010 - WDW All-Star Movies/UO Portofino Bay; Nov 2009 - DL Carousel Inn; Oct 2009 - WDW Wilderness Lodge/Day trip to Universal; Jan 2009 - WDW Contemporary; Mar 2008 - DL HoJo's; Dec 2007 - WDW Swan (solo trip); Feb 2007 - WDW POR (solo trip); Nov 2006 - WDW Hilton Grand Vacation Club; Apr 2006 - DL (solo day trip combined with work trip); Feb 2006 - WDW POFQ (solo trip); Dec 2005 - DL Marriott Anaheim; Nov 2004 - WDW Wyndham Palace; Dec 2003 - WDW AKL; Nov 2002 - DL West Coast Anaheim (solo trip); Oct 2000 - WDW Vistana; Jan 1997 - WDW Marriott World Center; May 1992 - WDW Polynesian; Jul 1983 - WDW off-site; Jul 1980 - WDW Contemporary; Jul 1978 - DL off-site
dauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
DisGal520
surviver of Hurricane Charley @ WDW

Since you will be staying at POP - walk the grounds and take pics of the Potato Heads, giant yoyos, etc.

Grab a hula hoop at the front door and give it a try. Handing your camera to a bystander will get you a cute pic.

Check with the CMs at POP for the time of morning and night that the restaurant crew does the twist and hustle and join in!!!! Only lasts for the length of the song so ya gotta be on time.

Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

You'll love it - I've only been able to do solo twice so far, but would do it every year if I could. My first solo was at Pop also. If you're nervous being alone, tell the CM when you check in that you are travelling solo and see if they'll place you near the lobby if you'd like. Personally, I asked for a lake view room, it was much more peaceful for my sleep in mornings. Also, I took a journal and a paperback novel every where with me to keep busy during meals alone, or if I wanted to just relax on a bench out of the way somewhere. It's amazing how much more you can take the time to notice at each park when you're not rushing to the next attraction with your family. It's just so much more relaxing - I found I even got out to the parks earlier when it was just me getting up and ready in the mornings.
Just take every moment in and enjoy yourself!
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

I have just arrived back home this morning from my first ever solo trip (7 nights) and I LOVED IT!!!

The worst part for me was the flying - I'm from the UK and the volcanic ash situation totally freaked me out, flying out the flight was another 2 hours long due to bypassing the ash, coming back was normal, however, looks like UK airspace is going to close again in the next 24-48 hours so I'm so very glad I made it home. I was however a little apprehensive, however, the moment I stepped onto the Magical Express that all disappeared.

I had made lots of plans before I left home but you know what, most of that went out the window. My first morning there I was up really early (due to the time difference) and just hopped on the first bus that came along, it was MK and I saw the opening ceremony for the first time. I stood crying with emotion and I didn't care who saw me lol

Generally people were really friendly, I had a lot of people ask if I wanted my picture taken, I also did the photo pass.

I strolled around Epcot many times, resting, people watching, having a great time. I also ate solo, my favourite was the Flying Fish sitting at the chef's counter, great fun.

Go along with an open mind and you'll have fun I'm doing another solo trip next year I loved it so much this year.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I've never been solo, but, reading about it here has me thinking I should go sometime.

If it were closer to home, I definitely would sometime. But, the cost of getting there makes me want it to be a shared vacation experience. There are enough places that I want to go to alone already.

Maybe, though....
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

I'm doing my first solo trip May 31-June 4th. I am soooo excited. I have always wanted to go alone to just see all the details I miss running from ride to ride with the kids. I love going with the kids, my daughter is 6 and we went twice this past year and she loved it! But, she'll also love spending the week home with her dad, he's taking the week off and they will go fishing, swim and do other fun stuff. I actually have 2 days where I have some work to do down there (just a few hours), which is my excuse for going. But really, I chose that workshop just so I could go to Disney.
I have my ADRs ready and am staying at Old Key West. I'm flying, instead of the usual driving, so I am looking forward to that.
Disney_Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
lisasuebj
Mouseketeer

The only thing that I would be worried about would be who would you share your excitement with if your alone? I am intrigued about going alone but I wouldn't want to go for more than a few days. I love to share Disney too much. Someday maybe.

1998 Music - 2001 Movies - 2003 Movies - 2004 Movies - 2005 Pop - 2006 Movies - 2009 Movies - 2010 Movies - 2012 Pop - Jan 2013 Pop - June 2013 Orland Condo - June 2014 Disneyland!
lisasuebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
Nomi
><((((º>`•.¸.¸.><((((º>¸.
¸•´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•
Goldfish Fanatic

I was terrified before I went on my solo trip (it was my first solo trip to anywhere as well). I think it's pretty par for the course to be nervous about traveling alone anywhere.

Like others say, do whatever the heck you want, whenever you want. For example, I love me some reptiles and fish. Going alone, I could spend all the time I wanted on the trails in AK and in the nemo pavilion at EPCOT without holding anyone up.

My tip is sit at the bar when you're waiting for an ADR, even if you don't drink (it's disney, nobody will bat an eye if you order a shirley temple). Very friendly atmosphere, even a person-shy kid like myself was able to make friends.

The Most Amazing and Belated Solo Trip Report Ever!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post36661479
Nomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: