Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
stacyp9
DIS Veteran

Sea World-Career Camp

Hi All!

My daughter is enrolled in the Career Camp-Resident camp at Sea World this summer. Checking in for tips and reviews of other people's experiences. She is over the moon excited and I am more than a little jealous. I want to come with!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
bairdbeth
DIS Veteran

My daughter did the day camp career camp a couple of years ago and loved it! I just registered her for the residential career camp this summer. She can hardly wait. Hope someone will give tips and reviews soon!
bairdbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
kathy884
DIS Veteran

My son did the Orlando junior high career camp last summer. Great experience / very well run camp. The only disadvantage is that after seeing your kid's enthusiam and how great it is, you'll probably end up sending them every year and add this expense to your annual camp budget. This year for a similar, but slightly different experience (he's still in the Junior High age group), we are sending my son to the Sea World camp in San Diego, California. He's excited about this, as a dream of his is to get to see all three of the Sea World parks. To date, we've just been to the Orlando one. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the camp. I'd be more than happy to share any information I have. I can't say enough good things about the experience.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

my daughter is 8th going into 9th and she has been doing camps since she was small. started in san antonio but likes the orlando ones best. does 2 weeks. sea world then busch gardens. wants a career working with animals so hopefully a good investment. i know a lot of her co-campers are returning. they have lots of fun and i think cool that she has made some friends from different parts of the country.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

fyi - we are from houston. i fly in with her. do a day or two at seaworld to make sure she is settled. fly home and then fly back to tampa to get her. she is 14 and i think i might let her do it alone this year. not because i want to, but because she is old enough to do it alone and seaworld/busch gardens have policies in place to get the kids on/off planes. she is a seasoned traveler and with cell phones I feel confident she could navigate this with ease. altho... i still would love to "accompany her" and do a day at seaworld followed by 2 days at disney all by myself (hello parades and all the attractions my kids don't ever want to do)!!. point is - I think seaworld/busch gardens staff do a fantastic job.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyp9 View Post
Hi All!

My daughter is enrolled in the Career Camp-Resident camp at Sea World this summer. Checking in for tips and reviews of other people's experiences. She is over the moon excited and I am more than a little jealous. I want to come with!
My daughter is signed up for the Career Camp this summer also. She will be going into 9th grade next year and she is going to the camp during the week of July 26-31. She wants to be an animal trainer(especially killer whales) so she is so excited. I am hoping to find another young girl going to the camp during the same week so that maybe they can meet online before getting to the camp.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
stacyp9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4US View Post
My daughter is signed up for the Career Camp this summer also. She will be going into 9th grade next year and she is going to the camp during the week of July 26-31. She wants to be an animal trainer(especially killer whales) so she is so excited. I am hoping to find another young girl going to the camp during the same week so that maybe they can meet online before getting to the camp.
My daughter wants to work with animals as well. She's going into 7th grade but will be attending camp earlier. We just sent back the 90237802938 consent forms this week, lol.

It would be kind of cool if they could hook up kids that are going without friends online before camp. That would make it that much more fun.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
stacyp9
DIS Veteran

For those that have done it already, can you help me out with respect to the sleeping bag thing? I'm from the north, our current sleeping bags are rated to -20. Obviously we won't need that in Orlando. Would a sleep sack be better or is it still cold in the exhibit areas that they sleep in?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Last summer, the one night they slept in the Wild Artic area (It's pretty cool in there) and the other night they slept in the Dolphin underwater viewing area. We purchased a summmer sleeping back and squishes down into a very small bundle and easily fits in a back pack, still leaving room for other things.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
bairdbeth
DIS Veteran

I am still working on the forms! Forgot about the sleeping bag. Guess we have to go shopping. My DD is going to the June 7th camp. Anyone else?
bairdbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
kathy884
DIS Veteran

My son who is going into the 9th grade will be doing the San Diego Sea World overnight camp this year for teens going into 7th-9th grade August 1-6. These run Sunday - Friday. The Orlando one last year ran Monday - Saturday.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
taylor49690
Earning My Ears

Sea World San Antonio

My daughter (10th grade next year) will be going to the career camp June 13-18 and would love to meet someone to talk about it before she gets there.
Anyone out there sending their daughter the same date?
taylor49690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Orkakid18
Earning My Ears

Cool Sea World Camp/ Career/San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyp9 View Post
Hi All!

Hi Im new here but I have been going to seaworld camp for 4 years now. I started out at Expedition Camp. And now im 14 and going to career camp. if you have any questions about camp just ask me. I am going to San Antonio Career Camp June 13-18 if anybosy wants to join me I would Be Glad. P.S its sort of cold in the exibits but not too cold to were you need to bring a heavy sleeping bag. P.S.S im a guy.
Orkakid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
moo im lani
Earning My Ears

Hello! I am considering doing the Career Camp at SeaWorld in Orlando this summer, but I'm having some hesitations. I'm 16, and I will be in 12th grade next year.
I love animals, and will probably be a Pre-Vet major in college. This camp sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about some things. I've looked all over the internet for more information, but I can't find any.
I'm very uncertain about the length - will a whole week be overwhelming? And I'm also wondering about sleeping arrangements and meals and that sort of thing.
Could anyone who has done this camp before (preferably the high school age level one) possibly take me through what a typical day was like?
Thanks so much!
moo im lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
melissac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv that cruise View Post
fyi - we are from houston. i fly in with her. do a day or two at seaworld to make sure she is settled. fly home and then fly back to tampa to get her. she is 14 and i think i might let her do it alone this year. not because i want to, but because she is old enough to do it alone and seaworld/busch gardens have policies in place to get the kids on/off planes. she is a seasoned traveler and with cell phones I feel confident she could navigate this with ease. altho... i still would love to "accompany her" and do a day at seaworld followed by 2 days at disney all by myself (hello parades and all the attractions my kids don't ever want to do)!!. point is - I think seaworld/busch gardens staff do a fantastic job.
Can someone tell me if they meet at the gates or do they meet somewhere in the airport. I really would like to send my DD(14) but have always wondered about this.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013, POR May 2014
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: