Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #31
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

This was one of the few shows my whole family gathered to watch. We watched it before and after Walt passed. I remember how excited I was to see the show when we got our first color television because it had been renamed to "The Wonderful World of Color". It was so amazing to us back then!

Then I think we would watch shows like "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "The FBI" and "The Ed Sullivan Show" after the Disney show was over.

Good times.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #33
Miss Monorail 1971
Please Stand Clear of the Door

I remember watching Disney and then suffering through Bonanza. My parents would get out the popcorn pans for Bonanza so if I wanted popcorn I had to watch. Thoes were the days of good pan popped corn and only 1 tv per family.

Miss Monorail 1971 - Konni
Miss Monorail 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #34
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesfamily View Post
Actually, "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," "World of Disney," and then "Little House." And then bedtime.
That brings back wonderful childhood memories. Just hated that we had to watch the movies over a 2 week period.
Here in Canada now, many Disney classics are being played on Sunday evenings 5:00PM to 7:00PM on CBC. (then bedtime for my youngest pair, just like the old days)

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #35
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I think this generation is missing out on all the classic Disney stuff. They're going to grow up on the '00's version of Disney and remember HSM and Mylie Cyrus more than Walt Disney and the history of it all.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #36
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Sadly, you are right--but I suppose the only consolation is that they will have no idea exactly WHAT they are missing. They won't know any better.

Just look at One Mans Dream in the Studios. One day we went in (and it's always a regular stop for us) and we were the ONLY TWO people in the theater for the movie.
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #37
Rose DiVerona
"If you finally found your laughing place...how come you aren't laughing?"

I'm only eighteen, but I do remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney on ABC on Sunday evenings when I was a kid. I think they revived it in the '90s for a while.

I don't remember who did the introductions, but I do remember that they existed. We would watch movies like Annie, the live version of Pinocchio...Tinkerbell came across at the beginning, and there were fireworks...we did that every Sunday night. Highlight of my week--movie night with the family.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #38
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #39
pdchris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
I used to watch it, but I'll be dipped if I can remember what was on it! Was it like Daniel Boone or cartoons or what? All I know was, it was the highlight of TV viewing. We never sat on the furniture to watch either - always sitting or laying on the floor with pillows!
IIRC, it was a mixture. Sometimes they'd have cartoons like D Duck or adventure like Daniel Boone or Swamp Fox.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #40
vonpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I'll be "dating myself" here, but I remember watching the VERY first Walt Disney TV shows. I'll edit this by saying I don't really remember the very first show (which was about Disneyland) but I sure do recall the second show, which was Alice in Wonderland. After that I was glued to the TV to watch the Disney show for the many years that it ran. And always got excited when the show was about "Frontierland"!!
This was in 1954---how long ago was THAT???!!!
Yeah, I go back that far too! (creak, creak).

I still get chills when I watch an old show and Tink appears,
and the announcer says: "Walt Disney's DISNEYLAND!"

FWIW, here's a broadcast history of the Anthology Show:

Anthology Series
Series Name Air dates Network

Disneyland 10/54 - 9/58 ABC
Walt Disney Presents 9/58 - 9/61 ABC
Wonderful World of Color 9/61 - 9/69 NBC
Wonderful World of Disney 9/69 - 9/79 NBC
Disney's Wonderful World 9/79 - 9/81 NBC
Walt Disney 9/81 - 9/83 CBS
Disney Sunday Movie 2/86 - 9/88 ABC
Magical World of Disney 9/88 - 5/90 NBC
Magical World of Disney 9/90 - ? DC
Name ? 96? - ? ABC
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #41
disneymami
por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Saw this posting and it brought back so many wonderful memories of Sunday nights. I figured youtube probably has a video of the intro and I think I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UBhDxG3yc&NR=1

I had one of those deja vu moments. Its the guy's voice that says the wonderful world of disney that really brought it all home to me.

1977 - first trip to the world with my parents and brother - MK - (the seed is planted)
1985 - college spring break with friends - MK (the seed starts to take root)
1992 - drove from NY with boyfriend now DH - MK & EPCOT (the obsession is growing)
2009 - first trip with my twin girls - WL resort; MK & EPCOT (completely incurable disney fanatic)
disneymami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #42
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Chills!!! THAT is the reason I always loved Tinkerbell... SHE opened the Wonderful World of Disney!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #43
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Von
Thanks for the dates. If you don't have it, snag a copy of THE
WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY TELEVISION by Bill Cotter.
Short description in there of each and every episode of all the shows!
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #44
sljmbll
Earning My Ears

Uncleromulus - Thanks for the heads up on the Bill Cotter book.
sljmbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #45
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Certainly!
As I read it I could visualize all the actual shows that I watched in "real time".
Good stuff in there also about the Mousketeers and the early (when it was good) Disney Channel as well.
Vacation Club since 1992

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: