Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Gavin's relaxing Wish Trip Report

Ok, So I guess it's time I get started on this. For those who didn't follow our PTR this Tr is all about my son Gavin's Wish Trip. He was diagnossed with multiple cranial cavernomas (rare brain tumors) after a hemmorhage in August 09 after undergoing brain surgery to remove the largest tumor he was left with neumorous neurologic deficits and we were told with having 10 more tumors which could hemmorhage at any time we dont know what the future holds. so it was time for a call to the Make a Wish foundation and we were thrilled when Gavin chose Disney World for his wish.
The cast includes me (Jennifer) Dh, Gavin and his 2 siblings Kia and Caiden.
We are scheduled for March 3-9 2010.
March 3rd finally arrives and we have a shuttle pick up at 6:30am. Did I have a hard time waking every one?? Well with the wake up call of It's time for Disney of course not everyone was up and ready in no time.

So the shuttle arrives right on time and were off.

We get to the airport in just under an hour and our wish granter meets us and we get our boarding passes and through security in no time flat. They did have to go over all liquid meds and Gavin's wheelchair a little but it was no problem. So we have about an hour left to sit and have a little breakfast (pop tarts and fruit) before we board.

Then it's over to look out the window at our waiting plane. Now this is the first time flying for the kids and they are so excited.

Now Gavin is prone to having some pretty serious meltdowns especially in new situations so we have a little Ativan for him and after taking some he seems pretty good. Does it last?? Well I'll get there soon but for now we pre board and get all settled in for our 4 hour flight to Dallas. DD Kia gets this pretty pic of the clouds

Ok about half way through this ride Gavin starts going down. Screaming were going to crash and die So out comes the ativan again. He calms down a little but is just not having a good time. We land in Dallas and he is just having all out meltdown. I take him to the bathroom to try and calm him down while Dh takes the other two to grab a bite to eat. Now at this point I all set to get a rental car and drive home thinking there's no way Im getting back on a plane with Gavin like this. After being in the bathroom for about 45 min he seems to be calming down so we venture out to find the plane is boarding already. Ok we can do this just get back on the plane. Easy right?? So far so good. We load and they ask the kids if they want to go see the **** pit? Well of course they do. This cheered Gavin up for a few.

This part of the flight went a little better and arrive in Orlando at 8:15pm
For some reason the landing part of the flight Gavin just didnt like and we spent another hour in the bathroom after we get off the plane. sorry no pics from this time. It was just a little to hectic and stressful. After calming down again we venture out and realize the airport is virtually empty and Im sure we have missed our greeter. So down to baggage and guess what our greeter is still there. He was very nice and went to the back to get our luggage since it had already been taken away. Then he took us to get our rental car which was a really nice mini van that fit all our luggage and Gavin's chair perfectly. Now it's off to GKTW and everyoe seems to be in good spirits. We make it there about 11:30pm head to the House of hearts to get checked in and they were so nice and even had food waiting for us from Katie's Kitchen. Now we didnt think any of the food places would be open so we stopped at McD's drive through on the way there. So if any other wish trippers are showing up late please be sure and call and let them know if your going to stop and eat. I felt so bad. We pretty much got to the villa and went straight to sleep. Well after the toilet overflowed!! Cleaned that up and then fast asleep

Gavin chose to sleep on the pull out couch in the living room

Ok so does this trip get better?? Stay tuned to find out. Alright I promise it does get better.

Last edited by Momofwishkid; 03-15-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Ok Im on a roll so lets move on to day 2. I woke up at about 8:30 the next morning and had to be at orientation at 9. I let everyone else sleep and walk on over to the house of hearts. There is only one other person there for orientation so it goes really fast. I think we were only in there for about 30 min. Gavin is still a little on edge on we decide to take it easy. We got a really good spot for our villa right by the avenue of angels which is where pretty much everything takes place.
The view from the window

It's time to check out the village.
The boys loved playing basketball.

Then we see goofy!! I was so happy because I thought they had already left. Apparentley they are there from I believe 8-9 and the come back from 10-11

This is my favorite pic from the whole trip.

Gavin even showed Goofy his goofy laugh but wouldnt go up to Pluto so Dh and Kia and Caiden got their Pluto fix.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
cantwaittoseemickey
DIS Veteran

I'm here Im here!! OMG Ty does the same thing at the airport. Meltdown city. But once we get on the plane he is good to go. Then we get off the plane and it starts again. So glad the second half was better

How nice of them to keep out a meal for you. GKTW just melts my heart

What a precious moment with Goofy and Gavin. What a great location you had!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
pnutallergymom
Mouseketeer

I'm here too!!!! The pics look great!!! Can't wait to keep following along!!!

Shannon (mom) Bryan (dad)
Brenna (8) Jake (7) Sean(6) Brigitte (3) Wish Child
Brigitte's PTR Make a Wish Trip
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2357435
www.carepages.com
CarePage Name: TheChristmasMiracle
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
scouthawkk
DIS Veteran

Me, too. I love the pic of the clouds that Kia took! So fluffy! Can't wait for more!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Yeah!

I'm sorry Gavin had a meltdown in the airport. Poor guy! I plan on getting myself some Ativan for our trip down, so I feel for him.

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Yippee yay!

With 3 TR's starting, there's no way I'm going to get anything done this week!! All for a good cause!!!

The laundry pile will be the size of everest by the end.....that reminds me of something in AK..... Too much Disney on the brain here!!

Can't wait to hear all about it, Jennifer!! Taking copious notes!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
cajunfan
Welcome to the DIS where wishes really DO come true! :)

Yay! A trip report! Whoohoo! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaittoseemickey View Post
I'm here Im here!! OMG Ty does the same thing at the airport. Meltdown city. But once we get on the plane he is good to go. Then we get off the plane and it starts again. So glad the second half was better

How nice of them to keep out a meal for you. GKTW just melts my heart

What a precious moment with Goofy and Gavin. What a great location you had!
GKTW is the best and I'll have more pics os the villa later. The meltdowns are the worst in any new enviornment but I was surprised even the ativan didnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutallergymom View Post
I'm here too!!!! The pics look great!!! Can't wait to keep following along!!!
Thanks, Im not the best writer but I'll try to entertain the best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouthawkk View Post
Me, too. I love the pic of the clouds that Kia took! So fluffy! Can't wait for more!
Thanks, she took tons of pics out the airplane window and got a few really good ones. I love those fluffy clouds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Yeah!

I'm sorry Gavin had a meltdown in the airport. Poor guy! I plan on getting myself some Ativan for our trip down, so I feel for him.
Thanks, hope your trip goes better I might try some valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsketomom View Post
Yippee yay!

With 3 TR's starting, there's no way I'm going to get anything done this week!! All for a good cause!!!

The laundry pile will be the size of everest by the end.....that reminds me of something in AK..... Too much Disney on the brain here!!

Can't wait to hear all about it, Jennifer!! Taking copious notes!!!
I already have the everest pile of laundry going. Still havent completley unpacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfan View Post
Yay! A trip report! Whoohoo! Thanks!
Hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Ok so I left off on the morning of our 2nd day. Were taking it easy and enjoying the village. The boys see the theatre and take off after the giant popcorn

Pics of the inside of the theatre

The decorations around the village are amazing and just seem to draw the kids in

Im pretty sure that this crazy clown is a talking garbage can?? It kept saying I want paper and the kids loved it although all we had to put in it was leaves

Pics outside the ice cream parlor where we went in for root beer floats.

and of course we had to take our first of many rides on the carousel

checking out the pool which we will eventually make it into even though it's freezing outside.

An amazing snoring tree that looks so real. Gavin kept trying to wake it up.

By this time it's about 11:00 and it's Sea World day!! For those of you who remember, we had talked to sea world and set up a private meet and greet with Shamu. Well given what happened right before we left with the killer whale and trainer we werent sure what was going to happen with that. Dh got a call on his cell that morning from a trainer says they had to cancel the killer whale meet but had a meet and greet with the dolphins scheduled for right after the 12:30 showing of Blue Horizon an amazing show. So we had to get going. We show up just in time to grab a quick pic at the gate and get to the show

Notice DD's sea world sweater?? She left her only sweater we packed on the plane so we had to get her one. It was soo cold.
Blue Horizons show

Have to split this post.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

The show ended and we headed down to the glass where we met with a very nice trainer who led us around the back where we met 2 baby dolphins

and Bubba

Sorry this one isnt flipped but it's so cool Gavin shaking hands with Bubba

tickling Bubba's belly

Gavin learning hand signals to make Bubba jump

It wasnt Shamu but it was a really special experience and the kids loved it. Then it was off to ride a few rides and along the way we ran into these guys

Dh and DD kia snuck off and rode the Manta and Kracken and loved them. I wish I would have gotten some pics but I tok the boys to potty and get a souvenier.
Now tonight is Christmas back at GKTW and as much as I want to stay for the Shamu show its almost 5:00 and we have to get back. So get back to the villa and see the horses and just have to take a carriage ride around the villa

Then it's off to go see Santa!! Now as some of you may know by now groups of people and new situations can be trouble with Gavin. We get in line and he starts to go downhill. Laying on the floor and turning in circles. Ok no big deal he's calming himself. This was the one and only bad experience we had with someone at GKTW. Gavin started crawling around a little but he wasnt causing trouble or having a meltdown so I let him be. A volunteer actually yelled at him and told him to get off the floor and go to his parents This caused more of a meltdown to come on. We get up to the front of the line and I have Gavin semi calmed down but he is not going for seeing Santa. This is where a little magic comes in. I tell him Ok you dont have to go see Santa but you have to cross the stage to get out. He walks over and sits way in the back corner beside Santa's chair. This amazing Santa actually gets down on the floor and sits down. Gavin then scoots up next to him and has a smile on his face. This is HUGE! We havent been able to get a pic with Santa for at least the last 3 years. It's amazing what somebody can do with just a little understanding.

On our way out we run into Amanda and Piper just entering and then Miranda. We all say we will meet up at the parade but after a few more minutes outside we realize it's time to head back to the villa and get some rest. Sorry we missed you guys but loved getting to meet you.

Up next Magic Kingdom!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry hon, I thought I had posted here...I seem to have done that a few times today..sheesh. I'm so sorry Gavin had trouble with the plane, crossing my fingers that the flight back went more smoothly. : We still miss the village, it was so awesome! Very cool that you got to have a dolphin meet, esp with the babies, we loved watching them! I'm also glad that Santa was so good to Gavin, esp after that volunteer! We enjoyed meeting you too, and enjoyed hanging out, wet butts and all! LOL! I won't ruin that for anyone else til we get there in our TRs! Can't wait to get caught up once we get released from the Club.. xoxo
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #13
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Woohoo! A new TR!!! You ARE on a roll! Great reporting! You have so many views of the village I've never seen before. I honestly thought I'd seen every angle of the main areas.

So sorry he had a hard time on the flights. I know it must have been a headache for you, but I giggled a little thinking about the passengers around you when he started yelling about crashing.

The rude person at GKTW chaps my hide, but all was right with the world when Santa got on the ground!!!! What a wonderful santa! I got teary-eyed reading that. He "got" it.

Okay, so what's on the agenda for tomorrow?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
cantwaittoseemickey
DIS Veteran

The dolphin meet and greet looks like so much fun. I was wondering if they were still doing the Shamu meet and greets.Gavin looks like he had a great time with the dolphins.

Those are great pics of the theater. I wondered what it looked like inside. I love the powered straw candy there!

Im so sorry the GKTW person was being rude when Gavin was having a tough time. But go Santa for getting on the floor and doing some magicThat is a wonderful heart warming picture of you all and Santa.

I can't wait to read more. What a great tr!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

You are on a ROLL, girl!

Loved the meet & greet with the dolphins that looks so great!
Will be watching your TR carefully as we're going on the same days (arriving on a Wednesday) We'll either do Seaworld or US/IOA the first full day so we can make it back for Christmas!!

Super cool about Santa, too!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: