Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #31
canabrits2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post
Okay....so the weather is horrible again (is there anything that is NOT in today's forcast? oh yah....sun)

Time for us to get off page 2 and start thinking warm Florida thoughts again.....

Just rebooked our vacation to a split stay at AKL and WL!!
Isn't is awful?! Cold and wet all week. I can take cold and sunny or warm and wet but not cold and wet together.

The only thing keeping me happy are these forums and searching obsessively for DCL ship and port pics and AKL pics. Goodness knows by the time a year rolls around, I may sicken myself of it. Nah.

I'm totally jealous that you booked AKL and WL and only have to wait 7 months!!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #32
Fundytrail
Our 1988 Ticket

Did anyone know that the MK Wishes Desert Party was back on! Great way to watch the fireworks at the MK.

We just booked for April 17th.

See link for info;
http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/06/...dessert-party/

Fundytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #33
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Greetings

Hi - we live in Enfield, NS and I admit, I am Disney obsessed (Orlando obsessed).

DH and kids had never been (I had been once as a child) and so I finally convinced him to go in August 2008 for free dining. Booked bounceback deal and went back again in August 2009. Then added 5 nights at Royal Pacific Resort at Universal and did Universal, IOA, Sea World and Aquatica. Agreed before we came home that we would take a year off.

It is the longest year ever! LOL - DH is a teacher, and I am an accountant, so it makes vacation timing choices difficult. Summer (the HEAT!), Christmas (need I say more) are really the only options because I can't take March break off.

Oh yes, and I like to spend my summer vacation at the beach in Pictou County.

Dreaming has begun, and I need to come up with a plan for our return to the Wonderful World of Disney!

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #34
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonersky View Post
Hi - we live in Enfield, NS and I admit, I am Disney obsessed (Orlando obsessed).

DH and kids had never been (I had been once as a child) and so I finally convinced him to go in August 2008 for free dining. Booked bounceback deal and went back again in August 2009. Then added 5 nights at Royal Pacific Resort at Universal and did Universal, IOA, Sea World and Aquatica. Agreed before we came home that we would take a year off.

It is the longest year ever! LOL - DH is a teacher, and I am an accountant, so it makes vacation timing choices difficult. Summer (the HEAT!), Christmas (need I say more) are really the only options because I can't take March break off.

Oh yes, and I like to spend my summer vacation at the beach in Pictou County.

Dreaming has begun, and I need to come up with a plan for our return to the Wonderful World of Disney!
Funny, my cousin lives in Enfield and I have been trying to convince her to take her 3 boys (2 twins) to Disney for the last 5 years.

Where in Pictou to you vacation? As a kid I vacationed at a cottage on River John. Is that close? I have good memories of that time.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundytrail View Post
Did anyone know that the MK Wishes Desert Party was back on! Great way to watch the fireworks at the MK.

We just booked for April 17th.

See link for info;
http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/06/...dessert-party/
Oh I hope they are still doing this in November! I see there's no end dated scheduled yet.

This would be so much easier for my mom to do instead of sitting curbside. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #36
LuvMyEAR
Mouseketeer

Hi Everyone,

How nice to have an Atlantic Cdn thread!

I am Mary, living in Dartmouth with DH of 36 yrs. We've raised 2 Disney-loving daughters and I'm working hard to pass along the obsession to our 3 grandchildren. We took our very first WDW trip in 1994, when our girls were 17 and 19. Since then, we've visited a number of times without family but our best trip was Nov 2008, when we we lucky enough to have a 10-day stay with four generations, ranging from 3 to 89 yrs of age.

We are now counting down the days until fall, when we return for 2 glorious weeks with our younger DD and her family. Till then, we are buying our lottery tickets in hopes that we might "persuade" older DH and family to come along, too!

Luv My E(ric) A(my) and R(yan)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #37
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Funny, my cousin lives in Enfield and I have been trying to convince her to take her 3 boys (2 twins) to Disney for the last 5 years.

Where in Pictou to you vacation? As a kid I vacationed at a cottage on River John. Is that close? I have good memories of that time.
My kids and my husband could give her lots of convincing. I couldn't believe after taking 5 years to convince him to go, that HE wanted to book the bounceback offer before we even left!

We used to rent cottages at MacKean's in Caribou River, so about 10-15 minutes from River John, heading to Pictou. MacKean's closed a few years ago, and that has impacted our ability to go to the Northumberland Shore. But we got a trailer last year, and so this year are going to camp at a campground for a couple of weeks on that shore, either Gulf Shores in Pugwash or Seafoam Campground. I'm really excited - there is nothing more relaxing than a beach vacation!

But for family fun - you can't beat Disney!

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #38
canabrits2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post

OMG....what is this, ol' home week? hehehe

It's likely the Melmerby Beach (the Merb) or Caribbou Beach in Pictou County, not Pictou town itself....goodness knows. My family is all from Pictou County and my boyfriend is from Pictou and River John! I read your post to him.

I'm also trying convert my boyfriend to loving Disney. He refused to come with my daughter and I last year because he said Disney isn't for him (although he doesn't know because he hasn't been there yet). I think he thinks it's too kiddy. BUT he's agreed to come with us next year. We're starting him out with our DCL cruise in May 2011. I'm hoping to show him Disney quality and service and fun and then get him to WDW.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #39
canabrits2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyEAR View Post
Since then, we've visited a number of times without family but our best trip was Nov 2008, when we we lucky enough to have a 10-day stay with four generations, ranging from 3 to 89 yrs of age.

That is SOOO wonderful! I wish we could have a family reunion there but honestly, most of my extended family goes to Cuba for those awful all-inclusive beach vacations (which I hate)....the rest of my extended family doesn't even vacation ever (unless it's a short B&B break somewhere).
Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #40
canabrits2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonersky View Post
MacKean's closed a few years ago, and that has impacted our ability to go to the Northumberland Shore. But we got a trailer last year, and so this year are going to camp at a campground for a couple of weeks on that shore, either Gulf Shores in Pugwash or Seafoam Campground.
Seafoam is nice and scenic on the Sunrise Trail past Tony River about 5 minutes. Really pretty.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #41
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

John here from Riverview. I'm the certified Disney junkie of the family...hard to believe I never wanted to go at all before 2007 - now I've been there 5 times since.

Just got back from our 1st solo trip back in January - so unsure when the wife will want to go back again.

DD is going to be 16 in may and DS will be 15 in November.

We'll probably consider another family vacation away from Disney next time - but if the deal is right and the airfare not too expensive....you never know
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #42
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Seems to be a real Pictou connection here on the Dis! My great -aunt has a cottage in Caribou River, as does my hubby's god father....plus my uncle lives in Pictou.

John - we try and do a non Disney family vacation every second year. Hubby isn't a Disney person or we'd be there every year if it were up to me! Other wise he stays home and I take the girls to go play
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #43
MinnieMommy
DIS Veteran

We live in Pictou County.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #44
jeffd101
Mouseketeer

Great thread. We live in Pictou County as well. My DW and I are raising our DS 14 and DD11 to be Disney lovers...people usually roll their eyes when we say we are going AGAIN, but we all enjoy Disney so much....even had fun during the 10 straight days of record rainfall last May. We have gone every spring since 2005....BUT NOT THIS YEAR!! It's quite devastating!

We are actually hoping for free dining in August. Our DS does not want to miss school time, now that he is in high school. We usually stay at a Value resort, because we spend so little time in our room, but this year we may try CSR.

Hoping for some cheap flights out of Halifax..but we are not holding our breath. We are debating the drive to Portland.

On a side note, Melmerby Beach in Pictou County is the one you all need to visit. DW and kids spend most days there in the summer. Decent sand and big sandbars when the tide is low. That is why we love to go to Disney, rather than the beach, when we go to Florida. We already visit a fabulous beach on most nice summer days...only a 15 minute drive from our house!

Nice to hear from all you Atlantic Canadian DISers!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #45
Boomer1
Mouseketeer

Hi, we are a family of five, me , DH, DD(15), DD(14), and DS(11). I went to WDW for the first time in 1999 and have been hooked ever since. We began taking our children in 2003. We have spent the last six Christmas/New Years breaks at Fort Wilderness in our travel trailer. Yes we are that obsessed that we tow 30 plus hours each was to spend three weeks at the happiest place on earth. DH and I are planning on spending five days solo at the end of April at WDW to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and my graduation from UNB with my Bach. of Nursing degree.
We always enjoy reading the experiences of other Disers and are happy to hear from fellow Atlantic Canadians that share our love of the Mouse.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: