Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #76
belle8306
DIS Veteran

I am all caught up! Now I need to remember what I wanted to comment on!I love that you got your girls involved in the GAD program. Your countdown holder is awesome! It makes me want to make one right now. I love all of the pics of AKL/AKV. I had no idea they had so many things to do! That is (one reason) why I love Disney. Even their resorts are attractions. I think your car plan looks great. I like the dollar for good behavior idea. You have a lot of great threads listed. I am going to tell my SIL to check it out too. They are also driving down. The Disney section at
B &N is a must for me every time we are there. I love seeing what is new. I think you will enjoy the Kingdom Keepers book.
belle8306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #77
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

I am in! I just read the your whole PTR in one sitting. Yes, I am addicted to the DIS. Will you be doing a TR? We are considering going in late June/early July 2011 and will be curious about the crowds/weather. Sometimes I wish we could drive. Airfare for 5 of us usually costs us close to $2000.00 but it's at least 24 hours from where we live which adds 2 days on either end of the vacation for travel. We like to go for at least 7 days and it's hard for DH to get all that vacation time in a row. Can't wait for more!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #78
luvalwaysMandy
Mouseketeer

Hello! Just found your PTR today.

I havent driven down for about 20 years but when we would go we would write down the different states on plates and see if we found more on the way down or the way back. UNO is a simple game we played in the car.

Our kids have leapsters so those would be entertaining for us. Do your girls have a similar handheld game system?
DS(7)
DD(4)
DD (2)
luvalwaysMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #79
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymacsmom View Post
I am in! I just read the your whole PTR in one sitting. Yes, I am addicted to the DIS. Will you be doing a TR? We are considering going in late June/early July 2011 and will be curious about the crowds/weather. Sometimes I wish we could drive. Airfare for 5 of us usually costs us close to $2000.00 but it's at least 24 hours from where we live which adds 2 days on either end of the vacation for travel. We like to go for at least 7 days and it's hard for DH to get all that vacation time in a row. Can't wait for more!!
Welcome! You read trip reports like I do, and I am a addict too. I do plan on doing a trip report when we return. Stan has pages in each day's section for notes to help me. The drive shouldn't be bad for us; I hope to be able to make trips each winter for a long weekend - we will have to fly for those trips. I hope that by driving in the summer, we will save some money to go towards that dream. Of course, airfare will have to be reasonable to do that... One can dream though, right? I have concerns about the weather and crowds too, so I will fill you in on what I think about them. We have a July thread with July veterans , you should visit. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2247684

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvalwaysMandy View Post
Hello! Just found your PTR today.

I havent driven down for about 20 years but when we would go we would write down the different states on plates and see if we found more on the way down or the way back. UNO is a simple game we played in the car.

Our kids have leapsters so those would be entertaining for us. Do your girls have a similar handheld game system?
Happy to see you! I love the idea of the license plates! I will have to add Uno on our packing list. My daughters don't have hand helds, but I am considering packing the Wii. (The van has a hook up ). If I do pack it, I will keep it stashed until the way home. (I am figuring that will be the tough part of the drive.)
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #80
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
Your countdown holder is awesome! It makes me want to make one right now.
It was very easy to make...and I did paint it black, so now I really love it. Of course, it is going to scream CRAZY to my family as soon as they visit my house and see it. They don't seem to think my Disney obsession is normal. If they only knew the half of it.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #81
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
It was very easy to make...and I did paint it black, so now I really love it. Of course, it is going to scream CRAZY to my family as soon as they visit my house and see it. They don't seem to think my Disney obsession is normal. If they only knew the half of it.
I can relate to that!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #82
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Epcot - Innoventions

So, as Disney veterans, (my whole two visits - three including the 10 year old me who was forced to ride SM ), we frequently tell others, "You can't do it all in one visit; so don't try!"

Knowing that well, I want each trip to afford us new experiences with the well loved ones! This trip I've decided that Innoventions(East and West) at Epcot need to be explored. I am not sure if I will be able to put it into the itinerary. It might be a last minute "Oh-my-goodness-it-is-so-hot-detour." I might tentatively put it in though...not sure.

So, I determined that I would know more this trip, and I wanted to share my research with my Dis friends! We entered through Innoventions West during our first trip, Aug. 2008, and we didn't find too many exciting options. I think in part, it had to be my lack of knowledge. However, since that trip, many changes have occurred.

I don't have pics of Innoventions from our last trip, so here is an Epcot shot to add some visual interest to the post:

Innoventions East:
Left side facing Spaceship Earth/ Electric Umbrella side
>Don't Waste it! This exhibit will be totally up my one daughter's alley! I try to reduce, recycle and reuse. This will allow us to answer questions to play with virtual trash to see how well we do!

Tip for readers: one way that I help the environment is by not taking bags from stores unless I have to. For example, if I buy a couple of items of clothes, I tell the cashier that I will put them in my purse. (I carry hobo style or a tote style bag usually. Some cashiers are rather insistent that I take a bag, and I am insistent right back. I have a receipt if questioned- I don't need a kohl's bag. I always say, it is a little thing I can do for the environment. Sorry for slipping focus here.)

>Test the Limits Lab! What 8 year old wouldn't be thrilled with an interactive way to learn about how products are made safe for consumers. (What happens if this hammer hits a television?)

>Sum of all Thrills - Okay, this might be the whole reason anyone should checkout Innoventions East. Make your own rollercoaster and test it out in a simulator! So, cool. If you add inversions, though, you must be 54" to try them. I am not sure if the girls will be quite tall enough. It will be close. They were 51" and 50" in early Oct.

>Storm Struck - Another cool experience for kids who enjoy learning. This simulates a hurricane and for my Pennsylvania family, this is a great way to learn about them!

>Enviromentality Corner - learn more about preserving the environment - you can make paper here which sounds cool. I can't confirm that it is still open though. Someone did confirm that it was there last summer.

Let me take us to Norway briefly before heading to the West:

Innoventions West:
Right side (well, if it isn't on the left .)
>Slapsticks Studio - Game show for problem solving where kids walk away with a frog they've decorated using velcro. Sounds mildly interesting for my 8 year olds?

>Where's the Fire? Anything I can do to increase my kids' knowledge of fire safety. I am a bit concerned that it might be too young for my daughters, but since my younger brother is a fire chief - we will give it a shot!

>Club Cool - Try out the soft drinks from around the world. I am embarrassed that we have not checked this out. However, we don't allow our daughters to drink soda (with the exception of a special occasion, i.e., wedding Shirley Temple or two or three...) I am not sure if we will do this; I have to check with DH. Otherwise, it will be fun to get pictures of everyone trying Beverly. (My dds have not had cola - maybe I should tell them this is what it tastes like. )

>Think Place (Smarter Planet presented by IBM - one side is test your knowledge about saving the planet) other side, allows you to create your own avatar and play games using it to learn about having a "smarter planet"

>Video Game playground - new gaming consoles. Although this might be of total interest to our girls, I don't think we will send much time here. (We have a Wii-no need. )

>The Great Piggy Bank Adventure - Interactive Game to teach financial planning. We try to instill the importance of budgeting and discuss money with them. It will be interesting to see how this works and how our daughters relate to it.

> Also in West, you can email postcards and if you have a Disney Visa, you can get a free 5X7 character photo. I have the Visa (but I don't ever use it). Not sure if we will take advantage of this or not.

Interactive PTR opportunity:
Please share your experiences or additional information regarding Innoventions!

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 04-22-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #83
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I AM NOT ALONE!!! Thank you!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #84
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymacsmom View Post
I AM NOT ALONE!!! Thank you!
Thank Goodness we aren't alone! Without the Dis boards, I might really believe my family...

What other times of year have you been? We've been spoiled because we went in Aug (Tropical Storm Faye cleared the parks for us) and in Feb (a slow time before Pres. weekend.) I am worried about the crowds and heat, but PA temps are pretty high in the summer (the sun just isn't quite as hot). Since we are early risers, we will take advantage of the time others are sleeping late on vacation.

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 04-21-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #85
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank Goodness we aren't alone! Without the Dis boards, I might really believe my family...

What other times of year have you been? We've been spoiled because we went in Aug (Tropical Storm Faye cleared the parks for us) and in Feb (a slow time before Pres. weekend.) I am worried about the crowds and heat, but PA temps are pretty high in the summer (the sun just isn't quite as hot). Since we are early risers, we will take advantage of the time others are sleeping late on vacation.
Before my DDs got older and it was not a big deal to take them out of school, we went in late May. Great weather, not too bad crowds. Then in 2006 we went in April over Spring break and the crowds were outrageous. We vowed to never do that again. Last year, we took advantage of the FD and went the 3rd week in August. Weather was hot but we don't mind. It was pretty crowded I am assuming because of the FD. We just can't decide when to go in 2011. I am not necessarily opposed to taking the kids out of school, but with 1 DD in college and 1 DD a junior in high school and 1 DS in kindergarten its hard to find a good time. Between sports, dance classes, exams, proms, etc. Well, you get the picture... I guess I could have worse thing to worry about!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #86
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Kelly, I understand. We were there the week before you in 2008. I am a teacher and started back to school the day after we returned. Luckily, it was only inservice so I still had a week to prepare for the students' return.

I am hoping we can go in the winters for long weekends (our summer trips will be shorter). My DH can't take off when my girls and I have breaks from school (excerpt for summer). Right now, it doesn't worry me to pull my girls from school for three days (I can't miss more time). They are both doing well and missing elementary school wouldn't impact their education. As they get older, or if they begin to face any difficulty, I certainly will encounter what you are experiencing.

As a high school English teacher, I am very frustrated when some students miss a week or more of class. Then, there are the kids who can afford to miss. I don't mind at all. I do think timing factors in also.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #87
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the breakdown of Innovations. We have walked through the buildings but have never really stopped to explore the exhibits. We do always go to Club Station Cool. Which is a lot of fun and a great place to cool off. We were talking about doing the Visa picture this year.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #88
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

That was a great description of Innoventions! We never spend enouh time in here, and it really is a great place to get out of the heat. My kids did the recycle activity last summer and loved it. I would love to do the hurricane!

I am hoping this summer to see more of it!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #89
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Great Epcot pictures! Every time I try to explore Innoventions, I get too overwhelmed and end up leaving without doing anything. Maybe next time.....
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #90
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
Thank you for the breakdown of Innovations. We have walked through the buildings but have never really stopped to explore the exhibits. We do always go to Club Station Cool. Which is a lot of fun and a great place to cool off. We were talking about doing the Visa picture this year.
Shelley, Now, you can select high points and stop to explore that of interest to your party...The 16 of you would certainly each find something! One stop shopping, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
That was a great description of Innoventions! We never spend enouh time in here, and it really is a great place to get out of the heat. My kids did the recycle activity last summer and loved it. I would love to do the hurricane!

I am hoping this summer to see more of it!
We walked through and only saw an empty velcro stop and the segways. The kids tried some type of musical instruments in a cage I couldn't figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Great Epcot pictures! Every time I try to explore Innoventions, I get too overwhelmed and end up leaving without doing anything. Maybe next time.....
I think that was what happened to me last time. Completely overwhelmed!

Now, Nikki, with all those crazy expressions in pictures, you need to be more adventurous! Doesn't Aloha Isle have other flavors besides pineapple? Also, you should select and try three things in Innoventions. (I can tease back right?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: