Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
Which is a good thing - especially since we are driving down next Friday for spring break!

because there just was not enough time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they opened it back up. Tons of people might have signed up, but it doesn't mean they will complete their service. The same way people registered for the birthday promo.

I am so excited for you for your trip in ten days...I can't see your ticker, but I think it matches the PSSA 40 day dash poster in my classroom - we are down to 10 days! I actually looked at it and thought - this is Wendy's countdown to Disney.

Let me know if you like the hotel you stop at on the way there and home.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they opened it back up. Tons of people might have signed up, but it doesn't mean they will complete their service. The same way people registered for the birthday promo.

I am so excited for you for your trip in ten days...I can't see your ticker, but I think it matches the PSSA 40 day dash poster in my classroom - we are down to 10 days! I actually looked at it and thought - this is Wendy's countdown to Disney.

Thank you for thinking of me with your PSSA countdown! Although PSSA is a bad word around here!!! My kids have them after spring break. It is hard to focus coming off spring break.

That is a good thought on the GAD - I was really amazed they ended it so soon. I think they did reach a million and are just letting people finish who already signed up - but I don't know why they did not just go for another million. In the big picture, a park ticket or fast passes will not break the Disney bank.

As far as where we stop. Last summer we stopped in Walterboro, SC. It is on 95, about 30 minutes after where we get on from I26. They have a lot of hotels and most of them get very good reviews. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and it was beautiful -free breakfast which was very good. We had a mini suite. That is our goal - but it is about 10.5 hrs from home. Since we are not leaving till close to noon next Friday, I don't know if we will make it that far. But, I would look it up - Walterboro - Exit 53 on I-95.
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #18
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Wendy, PSSA isn't a great word for us either, but I also try to say it with a smile. Our kids have the tests after break too. This year will be extremely hard for PA kids - reading and math, writing, and science all in consecutive weeks. ugh! Wow, I hope they aren't offering an SAT in April. I will include my travel research in the trip report as I complete it. I do have a folder in favorites marked traveling to Disney.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Wait, should we fly?

This morning I opened my email and saw a message from airfarewatchdog - $98 RT Phila to Orlando - 330 day travel period. So we could fly for $400? This would be cheaper than driving (and certainly faster.) I suggested to my one daughter, Hannah who doesn't like to fly because the pressure changes really do a number on her ears, hey we might fly to Disney. Should I call my DH and ask if he cared? Nah...if it saves money - he won't mind. I quick went to Delta's site to see. Sure enough, our dates were there $98 - one stop- total time ranged from 5 + hours to 7+ hours... hmmm...not in love with the layovers...then I look at flight times...depart at 5 pm arrive at MCO at midnight...yuck - not liking that...look at some others; nope no better. Then I read the price column more closely. $98 plus $42.08 in fees....huh...now I am at $150. The $400 just jumped to $600...gas and snack stops comes in under $400...

Hey Hannah, we are still driving to Disney.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
This morning I opened my email and saw a message from airfarewatchdog - $98 RT Phila to Orlando - 330 day travel period. So we could fly for $400? This would be cheaper than driving (and certainly faster.) I suggested to my one daughter, Hannah who doesn't like to fly because the pressure changes really do a number on her ears, hey we might fly to Disney. Should I call my DH and ask if he cared? Nah...if it saves money - he won't mind. I quick went to Delta's site to see. Sure enough, our dates were there $98 - one stop- total time ranged from 5 + hours to 7+ hours... hmmm...not in love with the layovers...then I look at flight times...depart at 5 pm arrive at MCO at midnight...yuck - not liking that...look at some others; nope no better. Then I read the price column more closely. $98 plus $42.08 in fees....huh...now I am at $150. The $400 just jumped to $600...gas and snack stops comes in under $400...

Hey Hannah, we are still driving to Disney.
The fees just really do a number on airfare don't they. SW used to be the cheapest, but even though they don't charge for baggage, the fares are higher than they used to be. There is little difference between SW and AirTran - and sometime AT is cheaper, especially if you can consolidate your bags. Back in summer 2006 I got a SW fare of $39 each way - I think my flights for Thanksgiving 07 were $59 each way but those days are long gone. That is why we drive now too. Just cannot justify the cost with four of us.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
The fees just really do a number on airfare don't they.
The $42 wasn't even accounting for baggage fees!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The $42 wasn't even accounting for baggage fees!
Wow - that was NOT a bargain.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Yo, Ho, Ho, it's the Dining Plan for Us!

2010 Disney Dining Plan Pricing for DVC members (seasonal pricing doesn't apply)
* $41.99 per night, per Guest ages 10+
* $11.99 per night, per Guest ages 3-9
Total for our family per day = 107.96
1 counter, 1 table and 1 snack each

I wasn't sure if we should do the dining plan this time. Then, the price increase happened for seasonal travel and I learned that the DVC price was locked in. So, I thought it probably was worth it. Now, just because it looks like a good deal...I had to research to make sure.

Instead of this being a spoiler alert for my future ADR post, look at it as a preview!

I looked at the list of table service restaurants where we want to eat. I am not so concerned about the counter service because they are similar in costs. We usually just eat where it is convenient near the rides where we end up (okay where my touring plan guides us).

I did test this with what/ and where we really would eat, the the most expensive menu items. I didn't factor in tip b/c it is OOP either way.

Sample Day:
Counter: Magic Kingdom Columbia Harbour House

DH #5 Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - White tuna with lettuce and tomato served on a toasted multi-grain bread. Served with chips or carrots. - $8.09
Me#6 Lighthouse Sandwich - Hummus with tomato-broccoli slaw. Served with chips or carrots. - $8.09
(2) Soft Drinks - Coke, Diet Coke $2.19 (2) = $4.38
(not including but included in DDP - (2) Strawberry Yogurt - Strawberry yogurt. - $1.99 = 3.98 )
(2) Kids' Picks: Macaroni & Cheese - grapes & applesauce and apple juice. - $4.99 x (2) $9.98
(not including: (2) Chocolate chip cookies - $1.99 = 3.98)

Lunch total: 30.54 plus 6.5% tax = $32.53

Snack MK Aloha Isle:
(4) Dole Whip Soft Serve - (2) Pineapple, (2) swirl ice cream - $2.89 = 11.56 plus tax

Snack total: $12.31

Late Table Service Dinner: Poly Ohana - 30.99/ 14.99 plus tax
Dinner total: 91.96 plus 6.5% tax= 97.94

Total sample day - $142.78
minus 107.98
savings - $34.80

Now, we are going to be in the world for nine nights, ten days. We are not doing the dining plan for the entire stay. Since we have a split stay, we are able to do the plan for half of our stay.

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 03-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #24
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

The Princess and Stan (the Villain)

I love planning our Disney trip. I even had a secret satisfaction in having to call DVC to change our June reservation to July. I am in a stand still with the plan right now.

I do my "planning" on a spreadsheet. This time (heck, I am still a newbie when it comes to Disney planning- I am just obsessive enough to know as much as a seasoned Disney traveller) I decided to create a plan notebook. I used The Passporter for the last two trips- Love it and think it is ideal for Disney newbies or people who are not obsessive...

So, I had this cute little journal that I had purchased at Michaels Craft Store for a dollar. I loved the feel of it and its size. I decided to convert it into our PLAN. It will fit perfectly into a ziplock bag and into the backpack my DH will be carrying this trip. You see, I purchased a DSLR and its bag will be enough for me to manage.

I bought little tabs and created "Stan the PLAN." I added stickers even. Now, it is poetic that the Stan's cover reads "HOPE" due to my father's cancer. I was so proud of Stan. I shared him with my GF who also loves Disney (she was married there.) Even she thinks I am a bit over the top, but at least she gets it.

Here is Stan:

Park Hours:

Snack credit choices:

Back Cover:

At any rate, Stan is not my friend right now. I have tabs for each day beginning with arriving on Sun...Now, we aren't arriving until Monday. Here is just another great part of technology. If I had created Stan on my computer; I could delete, paste, etc. The sad part is that I love technology, but there is something about writing plans for Disney in a journal that feels exciting, personal, and satisfying.

So, I am avoiding Stan right now. I am thinking of it as a break. He and I will make up sometime this week!

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 04-03-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #25
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Arrival day dilemma...

Are we there yet? Yes, we sure are! What to do on the first day??? I won't really feel like I am at WDW until I walk into the MK. I know it, but can I really work it in on the first day?

Uhhh... My husband always complains about my hidden agenda. This happens mostly when we go some where because I have a couple of stops for us to make. Do I know about the stops before I leave? Yes, yes I typically do or I think of them early on during the ride. I am unsure about other DHs, but mine is on a needs to know basis. If I rattle the list, I think it seems more than it really is.

We will arrive around noon. Since we are driving instead of flying, we won't be "park" ready just yet. The plan is to check in. If the room is ready early, fantastic, if not, no problem. We will change into swimsuits, grab lunch, and hit the pool. DH can sleep on a chaise while the girls test out the waterslide. If they can break away from

maybe we will go over and check out this:

Meanwhile, I can be poolside with this:

Okay so I am really not a drinker, but maybe poolside on my first day at AKV, I will indulge!

After rest and relaxation, it will be time to head to Yak and Yeti for dinner and some EMH at AK. I am excited to experience AK at night; I am hoping it isn't high on the priority list for the rest of the July crowd.

Here is where the dilemma comes in... do I plan on a visit to MK after AK closes? MK is open two hours after AK. We can hop over there and catch the fireworks, a couple of rides, and the magic I associate with MK. OR Do I suggest the trip to MK as we are leaving AK?

***Works Cited (I am an English teacher, so I would hate to "steal" anyone's work.)
The photos of the pools and the drink are not my photos. I used google images to locate the photos to fit my report. Two of the photos came from about.com/ not sure on the other. I cropped it and uploaded it to my photo account. However, I will try to use our photos when I can.

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 04-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #26
Raecheal
DIS Veteran

Great PTR so far...

We participated in the Give-a-Day/Get-a-Day as well. It was such a great experience...

Your family is beautiful, i'm so excited to continue along with your planning. Oh by the way, your photos are amazing.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raecheal View Post
Great PTR so far...

We participated in the Give-a-Day/Get-a-Day as well. It was such a great experience...

Your family is beautiful, i'm so excited to continue along with your planning. Oh by the way, your photos are amazing.

Thank you - I am a bit biased about my girls.
I am glad you are joining me! I see that you will be a month behind me. The photo of you and your bf is stunning. I just bought a DSLR and am excited to use it in the world. I am glad you mentioned the photos. I need to go back and revise to include that the AKL ones are not mine. I found them on google images. The CSR ones are mine, however. I took them with my Nikon coolpix in Feb 2009.

I will read more of your report (esp. for summer). I love how you began with secrets! Tonga toast is a must have - make an effort to try it. (You can even get it at Capt. Cook's instead of a table service at Kona.) I'll have to post on your PTR comments to your other "secrets."
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Thoughts on The Princess and the Frog

My DDs were not interested in seeing The Princess and the Frog in the theater. They are a bit anti-princess. This really isn't a "new" phrase. They were only ever briefly interested in the princesses. It was long enough that my mother made them Ariel and Belle Dresses (their favorites at the time) for Halloween one year. The following year we purchased a BLUE sleeping beauty and a Cinderella costume. (The costumes my mom made are so much nicer, but I was sad that her time and effort was wasted. My girls didn't use them for dress up like I had hoped. I promise to post some pictures soon.) Now, they reject the princesses at every opportunity.

I planned on going to the theater to see it alone. (Oh, that seemed wonderful - no eight-year olds needing something.) Unfortunately, it didn't run long enough. Plan B - buy it. I can't tell you the last DVD I purchased. We used to buy movies for the girls, so we have a small collection.

Last night, I finished school work and watched the film. About 1/3 of the way in, my girls joined me. I'm not sure that I loved it. I enjoyed it. It seemed like something was missing, but I can't put my finger on it. I did absolutely love the themes. I especially loved "You're only happy when you recognize that wanting doesn't lead you to happiness." I think it is a wonderful film for little girls, heck older girls too. I found myself using the two girls (Charlotte, whose father gave her everything, and Tiana, who had to work hard) when my daughter asked for a new toy and was upset that I told her that she could use her own money.

I'd love to hear other's opinions of the film.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DDs were not interested in seeing The Princess and the Frog in the theater. They are a bit anti-princess. This really isn't a "new" phrase. They were only ever briefly interested in the princesses. It was long enough that my mother made them Ariel and Belle Dresses (their favorites at the time) for Halloween one year. The following year we purchased a BLUE sleeping beauty and a Cinderella costume. (The costumes my mom made are so much nicer, but I was sad that her time and effort was wasted. My girls didn't use them for dress up like I had hoped. I promise to post some pictures soon.) Now, they reject the princesses at every opportunity.

I planned on going to the theater to see it alone. (Oh, that seemed wonderful - no eight-year olds needing something.) Unfortunately, it didn't run long enough. Plan B - buy it. I can't tell you the last DVD I purchased. We used to buy movies for the girls, so we have a small collection.

Last night, I finished school work and watched the film. About 1/3 of the way in, my girls joined me. I'm not sure that I loved it. I enjoyed it. It seemed like something was missing, but I can't put my finger on it. I did absolutely love the themes. I especially loved "You're only happy when you recognize that wanting doesn't lead you to happiness." I think it is a wonderful film for little girls, heck older girls too. I found myself using the two girls (Charlotte, whose father gave her everything, and Tiana, who had to work hard) when my daughter asked for a new toy and was upset that I told her that she could use her own money.

I'd love to hear other's opinions of the film.

I have not watched it yet. I bought it for the kids to watch on the DVD player in the car on the drive. I will let you know!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #30
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Hi Debby! Okay, just read everything so far and I have to say...

you are crazy and I love it!!! It really makes me so happy to see other people even more insane about Disney planning than me. It's just such fun! I love to have all the little details all planned and leave no stone unturned. You really get a sense of accomplishment, on top of an awesome vacation!!

You are a bit neurotic about people "finding" you!!! I had to laugh! I was wondering if you were going to post your ADRs on the July thread! We are definitely going to plan to meet at some points during the month and I really hope you and your family are a part of it.

Beautiful girls, by the way. Are they in the same class in school? There are so many multiples in my grade level this year. 2 sets of twins and 3 sets of triplets! I have 2 girls that have sisters in the other classes. It's difficult for the parents because the teachers are so different in regards to homework, grading, etc...and as much as they try not to, you can't help but compare.

Anyway, sorry for rambling so much on your PTR!! Can't wait to read more!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: