Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #151
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

It is shocking how many times I can bring up/compare Disney at the Philadelphia Zoo!

My SIL and her husband flew in for a family wedding this weekend. The wedding was Sunday, so we had time Saturday to visit. As my daughters don't do sitting around visiting well, I thought a trip to the zoo was in order.

First, I have to talk about our membership. We have a family plus membership which means DH, girls and I plus two guests have admission. Parking is free for members and everyone can do the extras for free. (paddle boats, train, camel rides...) This membership tickles me every time. We don't use it nearly enough. However, when we do it tickles me to have a free visit! (If we go more than once, the membership is paid for. Adults 18 x 3 = $54; 15 x2= $30; $12; (paddle boats $30); (zoo balloon $75); (Camel rides ~$6) I think our membership costs $170, but prices have gone up since last year.

As we drove to the zoo; about 40 minutes for us, the sky was threatening. About half way into the drive, the rain began. I figured if the zoo closed, we could head over to the Franklin Institute (we have a membership to a reciprocal museum.) Throughout our visit the rain showers came and went multiple times. (If only I had thought to bring ponchos from my Disney stock...)

We had a fun time, but I found that I did make multiple Disney connections! We were looking at the bats, and I had to share about the HUGE bats at Animal Kingdom that don’t fly into the open room because of their wingspan.

At the Zebra trail, I made sure to tell my SIL and BIL all about Savannah views at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

When my BIL demonstrated excitement about the polar bear made out of Legos, I had to tell him about the Lego serpent and Lego tourists at Downtown Disney!

Of course, with the weather anything but clear, the Zoo Balloon was grounded. I couldn’t help but dream about Downtown Disney’s balloon and how I heard on more than one podcast how people haven’t been able to ride because of the weather. (I didn’t mention this to anyone; my other references were already inching to the danger area on the Debby’s-obsession- is-not-normal meter. )

As we walked past the bird house, I thought longingly of Flights of Wonder. When I stopped in the gift shop, I saw souvenirs that could have just as easily read WDW instead of Phila. Zoo! As I went through my park bag to …oh wait…my backpack…to get my map, I reminded myself that I have to determine exactly where to put things as to not keep going through every pocket.

Our weekend did not end with Disney dreaming at the zoo. The next day we headed to Dover, DE for a cousin’s wedding. Test run before our drive to Disney—okay 90 min verses 15 hours… comfy clothes for the ride back, snacks, activities, blankets, okay, mini test run. The reception was at Dover Downs. I couldn’t help but dream of Disney just a little more when the ladies room was so similar to the Grand Floridian!

Needless to say, we had a great time at the zoo and a fun time at the wedding. I think my little Disney moments are just that, and it is nice to find a little pixie dust at places besides Disney.ixiedust:
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #152
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

OMG!! I am not alone. I find myself doing the same things. Nothing compares to Disney. We went to the Philadelphia Zoo a few years ago and loved it. DH grew up in Philly and keeps talking about taking the kids to the Franklin Institute. Gotta find the time between Disney trips.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #153
belle8306
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you had a nice weekend. It is funny how Disney connections can be made anywhere. Sometimes I can hear a certain song and it takes me right back there.
belle8306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #154
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

That's cool the girls are getting into the Disney planning! the update on the 5 minute commute!

totally know what you mean on the constantly finding disney references in EVERYTHING! were your in-laws slightly taken aback or were they up to speed with your Disney-mania?! My aunt thinks me and my mum are crazy for all our disney researcgh , especially when i gave her a page reference from UG in response to a Disney query!
irishdancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #155
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymacsmom View Post
OMG!! I am not alone. I find myself doing the same things. Nothing compares to Disney. We went to the Philadelphia Zoo a few years ago and loved it. DH grew up in Philly and keeps talking about taking the kids to the Franklin Institute. Gotta find the time between Disney trips.
Nope, you are not alone!!! There is a family membership offer for FI right now - check out this link:
http://www.savvysource.com/event/hom...errerCode=SPB2 - you have a day to act on the offer. It is $50 for the family - 2 adults up to four kids for a year. You would have to redeem in by end of Aug. so if you are planning to visit this summer.... Also, the Cleopatra exhibit is coming and I think you get free passes. The museum has reciprocal museums so you might be able to use it in CT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
It sounds like you had a nice weekend. It is funny how Disney connections can be made anywhere. Sometimes I can hear a certain song and it takes me right back there.
We did have a nice weekend. Your trip is so soon. Are you bouncing off the walls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post
That's cool the girls are getting into the Disney planning! the update on the 5 minute commute!

totally know what you mean on the constantly finding disney references in EVERYTHING! were your in-laws slightly taken aback or were they up to speed with your Disney-mania?! My aunt thinks me and my mum are crazy for all our disney researcgh , especially when i gave her a page reference from UG in response to a Disney query!
I think both sides of the family know about my love of Disney - they don't, however, know exactly how obsession I am.

Quoting a UG page is pretty awesome!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #156
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

A Little Disney Every Day!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! (Insert applause here for all of those who do and have served! ) I have two weeks and three days of school left! Once I make it through these weeks (I have my students completing a research paper and reading a novel...I really misjudged time this year, I can really focus on Disney preparations...as if I don't already think about and completely obsess enough now.

I figured for this update, I would share how I fit a little Disney in each day.

Each morning, I put on my new Mickey watch. I was wearing DH's four parks Mickey watch, but the strap was black. I really wanted to get a white watchband; I was so excited when I found this one with Mickey and the "bling" around the bezel. (I spied one on Disney.com for $80 and when I finally decided I was okay with the price, it was no longer available!) So for the low price of $20; I picked this one up at the store after ordering on sears.com

The other daily way that I incorporate Disney is through my mugs. We bought these in the World. I use one every day. Unfortunately, my Mickey one shattered on the kitchen floor. I hope that I can replace it in July.

Lastly, of course is our countdown calendar. I showed it before, but I really like that I sprayed it black. It is a daily Disney reminder, so here it is again...

It reads 43 days...but we currently have 41 until we leave!

I also listen to podcasts to and from school and while I run any errands. While I work on my computer I listen to WDW stations on live 365.

How do fit Disney in while you are at home????

And, now for the question of the day...do all of you look for those little emoticons when you are typing an email?? Ugh! I think in emoticons!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #157
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Very cute watch! I think that Disney is incorporated in more of my daily life than I realize. I have Disney earrings and a watch. My screen saver is pictures from Disney trips and my computer wallpaper is Disney. We have Disney mugs. I listen to the podcasts and Disney music. I have Disney music that I use in my classroom. I love finding small ways to bring Disney home. It makes the time between trips go faster.
belle8306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #158
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

I really like your mugs and your watch! I have a Disney watch too, and I LOVE Live 365. I just bought mugs when we were there in March - they have silhouettes of the characters. I have the Mickey/Minnie, Pooh and Piglet, and the Peter Pan. I think there is one more, that I will probably get this summer.
I am on the Disboards daily too - that helps me keep the Disney spirit!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #159
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

I do the same things with the mugs! I get a new one everytime we go. If I knew how to post pictures, I would do it but I am not so technically saavy. Our schools around here do not let out for 3 weeks from today. I cannot wait for my kids to be done.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #160
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
Very cute watch! I think that Disney is incorporated in more of my daily life than I realize. I have Disney earrings and a watch. My screen saver is pictures from Disney trips and my computer wallpaper is Disney. We have Disney mugs. I listen to the podcasts and Disney music. I have Disney music that I use in my classroom. I love finding small ways to bring Disney home. It makes the time between trips go faster.
I have a disney background, but a boring Windows screensaver..sounds like a summer project while counting down the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
I really like your mugs and your watch! I have a Disney watch too, and I LOVE Live 365. I just bought mugs when we were there in March - they have silhouettes of the characters. I have the Mickey/Minnie, Pooh and Piglet, and the Peter Pan. I think there is one more, that I will probably get this summer.
I am on the Disboards daily too - that helps me keep the Disney spirit!
I am on the Disboards way too often! You will have to get the other mug or you will probably regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymacsmom View Post
I do the same things with the mugs! I get a new one everytime we go. If I knew how to post pictures, I would do it but I am not so technically saavy. Our schools around here do not let out for 3 weeks from today. I cannot wait for my kids to be done.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
Sorry that you have a bit of a wait for summer fun!! Here is info to help you with the photo posting
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #161
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Flashback Day of Firsts

Since Nikki did a 2006 flashback and has cute kid photos and video (Gosh Nikki, how can I compete? ), I thought I would share bits of our first day of our first trip to Disney. (I can't really count my trip as a child because I can't remember it; I won't count DH's either because he doesn't remember much either.)

August 2008

Our first stay: Poly

Our first method of transport to MK: boat

Our first ride: Stitch - Didn't photograph this; I might have scarred my children with this bad decision. (I wish just looking for a filler ride until our princess lunch!)

Our first meal/ lunch: Cindy's Table

Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #162
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Cute! Love the missing front teeth.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #163
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

hey! lovely photo's, I like the girls dresses, my mum used to dress my sisters in complimenting outfits (they're only 1.5 yrs apart) and they loved it!

stitch as a first ride...controversial!
irishdancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #164
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

How do I fit it all in?

A piece of advice I give anyone new to Disney is "make a list of must-dos and complete it; anything else you accomplish is a bonus!" (I am sure I read that on the Dis...)

I guess I need to take a page from my own book. What are our must-dos? I am going to list them, but what if the list is too long? Deep breath:
(not including rides we've done - we will fit them in)

AKV- both pools
AK - Flights of Wonder, at least one trail, Ms. Devine
MK - Tom Sawyer Island, Hall of Pres., MMM, Electrical Parade
EPCOT - Innoventions, Kim Possible, explore the countries, Capt EO, Pick a Pearl
HS- Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Writers Stop, Fantasmic - if they open second show times
BCV kitchen sink, Stormalong Bay
BW- Bakery, pool

This seems totally managable. I will sleep on it and add what I missed tomorrow.

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 06-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #165
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
A piece of advice I give anyone new to Disney is "make a list of must-dos and complete it; anything else you accomplish is a bonus!" (I am sure I read that on the Dis...)

I guess I need to take a page from my own book. What are our must-dos? I am going to list them, but what if the list is too long? Deep breath:
(not including rides we've done - we will fit them in)

AKV- both pools
AK - Flights of Wonder, at least one trail
MK - Tom Sawyer Island, Hall of Pres., MMM, Electrical Parade
EPCOT - Innoventions, Kim Possible, explore the countries, Capt EO
HS- Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Writers Stop
BCV kitchen sink, Stormalong Bay
BW- Bakery, pool

This seems totally managable. I will sleep on it and add what I missed tomorrow.
I love the idea of a list of "must dos". We definitely have Capt EO and the Main Street Eleectrical Parade and MMM fireworks on our list for this trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: