Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

How far in advance do YOU start packing for your trip?

OK, so we have about 20 days until we trek down to FL for our Spring Break vacation, which includes a day at Daytona's Nascar Speedway (pre-cruise), the 4-day Wonder Bahamas cruise , and Kennedy Space Center (post-cruise). I feel like all the months of obsessive Disney planning is finally coming together now! I have already started to pack for the trip - my husband thinks I am crazy to do so, but call it the obsessive planner in me.

....so just curious, when do YOU start packing for a vacation?
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
frangi
Disney Freak

my vacation is in October, while I may not be packing I'm keeping on eye on what I want to wear. Looking in stores for new clothing. Playing the game how many different outfits with very few items.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
atigeg
DIS Veteran

lazy here, usually wait until the morning before driving to the port
atigeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
MACfamily4
Mouseketeer

Crazy here. Our next cruise is a year away and I already have a disney tote into which I am putting "things to take on the cruise" stuff. Not packing, really; more like collecting the necessaries. It makes me laugh at myself - sheesh!

July 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Disney Wonder; July 2007 All-Star Movies; July 2008 Disney Dolphin; June/July 2009 Wilderness Lodge; June 2011 Coronado Springs; July 2012 Beach Club; June/July 2014 Beach Club; November 2015 Beach Club
MACfamily4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Dream426
Love Disney!!

Our trip is at the end of August. I will start buying things throughout the summer and I will probably start packing the week before the trip.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
DLW8
DIS Veteran

When I unpacked from our December trip, I started putting things that were for the cruise back in a bag as well for this year's trip, it will just make it easier to pack at the end.

I will "kind of" pack when I put away the summer clothes for fall clothes, I did this last year and it was a big help. Instead of packing away our summer clothes, I packed them into a suitcase for the trip. I did do some "editing" when it was time to pack, but everything was all together which made it easier.

I am also now shopping for dresses for the cruise, and have bought DD a few items for formal/semi formal/dinner wear already. Once the cruise gets closer, those types of clothes for warmer weather won't be around.

The "REAL" packing will occur the day before we leave...maybe 2 days before as we will be leaving the day after Thanksgiving this year.

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
orlandothebeagle
Gotta love the beagles.

When I get back from the last one, I start putting stuff in the case, I dont properly pack till the night before but make a list months and months in advance, Like someone else says, I collect stuff in the case rather than actually pack it.

Happy Packing everybody

4 day Wonder,7 night west Magic,Magical west bound TA,Wonderful panama canal.
orlandothebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

About a week to week and a half before we leave I start setting aside things I know I want to pack so I'm not wearing them and doing last minute laundry.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
tylerdylansmom
Earning My Ears

I pack a little at a time in advance

Last Sept we went to disney. I packed a little at a time. Things I bought specifically for the trip(pop up hamper, power strip, water bottles, etc) went directly into the suitcase. When the summer clothes went on clearance I bought a bunch for my boys and packed them into their suitcases. (When they got there I don't know what was more exciting the fact that we were in disney or the fact my oldest had new clothes to wear in Disney)
Then I did the same for me. I bought some new clothes and packed them right in my suitcase. The week before our trip I made a packing list and then went through our suitcases to make sure i had what I needed.
The morning of our trip I packed the last minute essentials(toothbrushes, hair brush, etc)
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

About 2 hours before we leave for the airport. The entire ordeal is hysterical. I have not checked luggage for 10 years so......we only do 1 carry on each. Somehow, we do just fine (I do wash).
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
cinderella&prince
Mouseketeer

Our cruise is the end of May and my daughter and I are packed!!! lol just need to get my husband and son packed an we r ready to go. I can't help but pack so early. I am afraid to forget something or buy too much
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I will put non-clothing items to be packed in one place as I think of them, but the actual suitcase packing doesn't happen until the day before a trip.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Lately we've been starting the morning of the trip! We used to do it the day before and head out early to the port but we've gotten lazy lately. DH is the packer and he does it the day of our cruise & we head out early in the afternoon. I think he keeps some stuff in the bags all the time tho' so it's ready for each cruise.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I pack (into suitcases) the day before we leave. However, I do start collecting whenever I find things we need on sale. Piles have started for a Jan 2011 already.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
speakupjc
DIS Veteran

One week before. That we will can do it lesiurely without packing. When I do the laundry before our trip I just pack it in the suitcase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: