Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

A Fairy Affair -- Aidan's MAW TR 3/1-3/7

Guess it's time to start this thing! Since Amanda came back a day later than us and is already 11 pages ahead of me. I'm still waiting on our Photo Pass, which has 278 of our pictures, but hopefully my own pictures will suffice until then.

The Cast:

Me (Miranda) -- I am a 29 year old stay at home mom to my 3 beautiful boys. I am the only one who had ever been to Disney prior to this trip. I went in 2000 while pregnant with our first child. Needless to say, most rides were off limits at the time, so the thrill seeker in me was more than ready to go back!

Chris (DH) -- Chris is 46 years old and has never been to Disney. We had planned a Disney vacation last year, but our 6 year old got sick, and we cancelled. Chris has always said that he had no desire to go to Disney, that it was just a tourist trap. However, after Aidan made his Disney wish, I saw the kid in him come alive. He said he would ride anything if Aidan wanted him to because he wasn't going to ruin the wish. And he even admitted that he didn't think he'd ever get to Disney before he died. I think more than one wish came true on this vacation.

Aidan (DS) -- Aidan is 6 years old and is our wish child who made this all possible. Aidan has many medical issues, including Shwachman Diamond Syndrome, panhypopituitarism, adrenal insufficiency, chronic lung disease (bronchiectasis), cerebral palsy, etc. If you want to read all of the medical details, our PTR offers more. The link is in my signature. Anyway, Aidan's official wish was to go to Tinker Bell's home, which he later clarified as Disney. He wanted to meet Tink.

Keegan (DS) -- Keegan is 9 years old! He talks about going to Disney while he was in my belly, but of course, he's never actually been. While Aidan deals with most of the pain and physical discomfort of being sick, Keegan deals with a lot of the emotional discomfort. It is Keegan that doesn't see his mom much during the weeks that Aidan is in the hospital. He sacrifices a lot and is very tolerant about his brothers medical needs. I'm so glad that he got to experience the magic of Disney as well!

Peyton (DS) -- Peyton is 3 years old! He has quite the temper when it comes to his brothers, but is overall a very loving child. His favorite character is Tigger, and although he didn't know exactly what it was all about, he was so excited about going to "Dis-a-ney"!

You'll get a lot of pictures on this TR, but for now, here's a family picture so that you can get to know us.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Last edited by Thumper321; 03-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

Table of Contents

Reserving this post for the table of contents, if I can keep it updated.

Riding in Style
Airport Adventures
Give Kids the World
The "Lellow House"
Village Nights
Day 2

Last edited by Thumper321; 05-06-2010 at 07:42 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

Riding in Style

As some of you know, the weekend before our departure was rather chaotic. If you want to read the details, they are also on our PTR. Anyway, after our crazy weekend, our 4:00 a.m. wake up call came awfully early on Monday morning. All it took was the mention of Disney, though, and everybody was on their feet.

The boys were expecting our "shuttle bus" at 5:00 a.m. and were watching out the window. However, thanks to T Star limos in Memphis, the shuttle bus never showed up that morning. Instead, a Chrysler 300c Lambo edition pulled up in front of our house. Keegan was the first to notice. "Momma, that doesn't look like a shuttle bus. . . that looks like a limousine!"

Now, I have to admit that I had not considered where our week's worth of luggage for 5 people, 1 special needs stroller, 1 regular stroller, and 2 carry-on size bags full of medical supplies would go. Oops. Well, our driver got it all situated, but we did have to put the special needs stroller in the front of the car.

Here are some of the inside pictures.

Notice that Aidan is holding the substitute tickets from his reveal party. He would not let these go. He really believed that they were the tickets for our plane, the parks, everything!

By the time we got to the airport, Chris and Peyton were asleep:

But everybody was wide awake once the car stopped.

We've finally made it to the airport. But will our two bags of medical supplies get through security?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
HeatherSue

WOW!! That's quite a ride!! I've been in a limo before, but it was nothing like that! Very nice! I love that Aidan has the giant tickets from the reveal party! What a sweetheart!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
pnutallergymom
Mouseketeer

Yeah!!!!! The TR has started!!!!

You guys look so happy!!!! I can't wait to keep reading!!!!!

Shannon (mom) Bryan (dad)
Brenna (8) Jake (7) Sean(6) Brigitte (3) Wish Child
Brigitte's PTR Make a Wish Trip
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2357435
www.carepages.com
CarePage Name: TheChristmasMiracle
Old 03-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Subscribing. These MAW trips just melt my heart.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

I'm subbed -- can't wait!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSue View Post
WOW!! That's quite a ride!! I've been in a limo before, but it was nothing like that! Very nice! I love that Aidan has the giant tickets from the reveal party! What a sweetheart!
The limo was great! It had a CD player, auxillary player, laser light show, DVD player, even karaoke. Unfortunately, we didn't get around to the karaoke. Our limo on the ride home was a little more low key, but considering that they were donating their services, they really outdid themselves!

Those tickets will definitely go in the scrapbook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutallergymom View Post
Yeah!!!!! The TR has started!!!!

You guys look so happy!!!! I can't wait to keep reading!!!!!

We were ecstatic! And it stayed that way for the entire week (other than the hospital visit)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Subscribing. These MAW trips just melt my heart.
They melt my heart, too! And especially this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsketomom View Post
I'm subbed -- can't wait!
Glad to see you over here! Now you can read all about my crazy fanatical planning gone awry! It really worked out fine . . . but not as planned.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

I'm in! You have a beautiful family & WOW! What a ride!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

Airport Adventures

Our limo dropped us off at the airport and Chris got a luggage cart. We get all of our luggage on the cart, but then we're left with the dilemma of how to push two strollers and the luggage cart. In the end, Chris pushes the luggage cart, I push Aidan, and Keegan pushes Peyton. But it was not an easy feat, especially once we got to security.

We got two of our bags checked and continued towards security. Our airport guide from MAW told us that we couldn't take our luggage cart through security, and we had a moment of panic. We had 2 medical carry-ons, 3 rolling backpacks with the boys things, 3 regular backpacks with their coloring books, snacks, etc., and my carry-on with all of our paperwork and such. We start trying to get everything situated, and thank goodness a Delta employee interrupts to tell us that we can take the cart through security. So, we proceed with caution.

We get to security. We have to get everybody's shoes off, get Peyton's stroller on the conveyor belt, get all of the bags and backpacks on the conveyor belt, and get Aidan's stroller inspected. Then, they inform us that Aidan must have a special inspection. They carry 4 of our bags, I carry Aidan, they bring his stroller, and we get to the inspection area. Chris, Keegan, Peyton, and our airport guide have to go on through, so it's just Aidan and me, and the TSA people. They have to swab his formula lids, check our DVD player, check the liquids in our medical carry-ons, and swab his stroller. Then they check his feeding pump and pump paperwork. Now, this was a little stressful for me, but I must say that the TSA people were extremely helpful throughout all of this. It went very smoothly considering everything they had to do.

So, we finally meet back up with the rest of the family and our airport guide. Our MAW chapter does not give you an expense check. They give you some cash and the rest in traveler's checks, but you must be through airport security before they give it to you. Our airport guide takes us to the Delta Sky Club lounge and we all get settled in a private conference room. They give us our spending money and our MAW shirts. The Sky Club has a changing room, so we all change into our shirts. When we leave the Sky Club, the boys see an airplane pulling in. This was supposed to be breakfast time, but as you can see, they were more interested in the airplanes.

And again, notice that Aidan is still holding onto his substitute tickets.

After watching the planes and crew for a while, we have to get to our gate. We get there, and they tell us that they have changed our tickets to Breezeway tickets. We will board with the first class passengers so that we have time to get settled. We get boarded, get our luggage situated, and we're ready for takeoff.

It would take a few minutes before I could get anybody's faces again, because they were all too busy staring out the window.

And Aidan took pictures the whole time, even pictures of me taking pictures.

They eventually settled down, and it was time for some coloring. These color rollups were perfect for the plane. I could just imagine the crayons rolling off of the tray tables over and over.

The flight was very pleasant. When we landed at Orlando, the flight attendants gave the boys extra pretzels, their own wings, and a trading card with info about the plane. It was a great flight, and we were now in Florida!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

Yay!!! In Florida!!! How nice they got extra pretzels, wings & a trading card!

Love the crayon roll up! Where did you find that at?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Thumper321
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbys mommy View Post
I'm in! You have a beautiful family & WOW! What a ride!!!!!
Thank you so much! And

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbys mommy View Post
Yay!!! In Florida!!! How nice they got extra pretzels, wings & a trading card!

Love the crayon roll up! Where did you find that at?
Jennifer (Disname Scouthawkk) made them as part of the Big Give. She made each of the boys one and they were great on the trip!

I should also mention that the Wall-E backpacks that they are wearing came from Lynn (cajunfan).

Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
shelbys mommy
DIS Veteran

We are driving, but that would be cool to have in the car for our trip! The backpacks are too cute!

And I love how he's holding on to those "tickets"! Precious!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Loving it so far!

Hope Aidan's feeling better!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Woohoooo..you got started! Nothing like a little peer pressure I can't believe they didn't give you guys any of your expense money until you were through the security gate! I hope they had at least given you an idea to budget with!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: