Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Exclamation CPSC warning-----baby slings

I read this today and just thought i would pass it along.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...,4010896.story

It talks about the CDC report due out detailing the risk of suffacation to infants in slings. I never used one, but I know many on the Dis do.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
brergnat
DIS Veteran

I've always thought slings looked scary. Is it a suffocation risk, or a rebreathing of CO2 risk that would cause suffocation? So many kids die from SIDS due to re-breathing air that gets trapped in front of their faces. I could see this happening very easily in a sling, especially when the baby is sleeping...Isn't that why they invented the front carriers, like the Bjorn? We had a Bjorn, and our baby's head was always able to get fresh air.
brergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

These particular slings are very poorly designed and the issue is really with this particular design. There are lots of babywearing choices (including slings) that are totally safe as long as you're paying attention and use common sense.

This is one of those cases of using a wide brush for a small (but tragic) problem.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
tkme4ard
Merry Christmas!

slings when used properly are a great baby carrying tool. There are many baby equipments that could be said of the same though (the bumpo comes to mind, they aren't meant to put on the counter/table people do it anyway) Common sense. The cradle hold was the only one that concerned me and we only used it if I could constantly check on the baby and knew there was plenty of air coming in
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

I am interested now. Are there baby slings out there that do not hold the baby in the c shaped positon that they are describing as dangerous?? I cannot picture in my head how that would work, unless it was like a baby born type carrier. that held them upright. We had one of those and DD hated it. We didn't try a sling mostly because I was scared of dropping her.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
GoinToDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmom29 View Post
I am interested now. Are there baby slings out there that do not hold the baby in the c shaped positon that they are describing as dangerous?? I cannot picture in my head how that would work, unless it was like a baby born type carrier. that held them upright. We had one of those and DD hated it. We didn't try a sling mostly because I was scared of dropping her.
There are different positions you can put baby in for most slings. I personally never felt comfortable with my newborn in a cradle carry/C position. They warn you to watch that the head doesn't flop forward, but I preferred to just use a different position that was more upright and where I could see her more easily. Here is an example of how I carried my LO when she was a newborn: http://www.kangarookorner.com/wearin...ringPouchTummy
I did use the bjorn a lot too at first. However, after about 8 weeks, she got big enough where the bjorn is no longer good for her spine. You want babies in a seated position not a dangling from the crotch type position.

I think this is a matter of common sense mostly. Another issue they have with slings is that if not used properly babies can fall out. Well, people also drop their babies and let them roll off of beds if they aren't careful and using common sense.
GoinToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
tkme4ard
Merry Christmas!

I carried my baby's ina sling all the time. In fact I hated the newer bucket seats so much that I went only for the britax convertable and carrier her in the sling every chance I could get. For tiny babys they were tucked in a U with them against me with their cheek on my chest. When they were older it was either hip carry, back carry or criss cross their legs and tuck them in the U facing out.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinToDisney View Post
There are different positions you can put baby in for most slings. I personally never felt comfortable with my newborn in a cradle carry/C position. They warn you to watch that the head doesn't flop forward, but I preferred to just use a different position that was more upright and where I could see her more easily. Here is an example of how I carried my LO when she was a newborn: http://www.kangarookorner.com/wearin...ringPouchTummy
I did use the bjorn a lot too at first. However, after about 8 weeks, she got big enough where the bjorn is no longer good for her spine. You want babies in a seated position not a dangling from the crotch type position.

I think this is a matter of common sense mostly. Another issue they have with slings is that if not used properly babies can fall out. Well, people also drop their babies and let them roll off of beds if they aren't careful and using common sense.
Thanks for the info. That definitely looks different than what I had seen, nad a lot safer.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
El&Asmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinToDisney View Post

That's how I held dd3 most of the time too both in a pouch and a ring sling. Dd2 did like the cradle hold. When she was really itty bitty, I would roll up a receiving blanket underneath her which kept her flatter rather than rolling into a chin to chest position, and kept her higher in the sling. All of the sling companies warn against the unsafe position.
It's sad anytime a baby dies senselessly, but babywearing can be very safe when using common sense.

3/96 Frist trip with dh. Offsite
2/05 DD1s first trip at 19 months AKL
9/06 DD2s first trip at 9 months CSR
6/07 Bought into HH DVC!
8/07 Addonitis at SSR
9/07 BWV/SSR
1/08 POR/OKW- NAVC
El&Asmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

As a sling mommy I agree that there are safer ways to carry a baby than the c sling. What I don't understand is the lack of information that is being released....how many babies have died and which brands of slings have the problems. I'd also like to know the ages...once a baby has head control does the risk disappear? The public has been given much fuller information with crib recalls, why not with the slings???
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAndFluffy View Post
These particular slings are very poorly designed and the issue is really with this particular design. There are lots of babywearing choices (including slings) that are totally safe as long as you're paying attention and use common sense.

This is one of those cases of using a wide brush for a small (but tragic) problem.
I have to go with CAF on this one. I used a sling with my kiddos, and it's a no-brainer to stay vigilant to make sure they're not getting into a weird or dangerous position. There's no substitute for staying aware of your baby's situation, doesn't matter if they're in the crib, stroller, sling, or otherwise. Accidents definitely happen, and they're horribly tragic when they do (a friend lost her toddler when she was playing in a big cardboard box turned into a "house").
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
GoinToDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
As a sling mommy I agree that there are safer ways to carry a baby than the c sling. What I don't understand is the lack of information that is being released....how many babies have died and which brands of slings have the problems. I'd also like to know the ages...once a baby has head control does the risk disappear? The public has been given much fuller information with crib recalls, why not with the slings???
I agree. This is what bugs me too.
GoinToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
ErikaS57
Earning My Ears

I know the Infantino Slingrider is one of the ones that has had deaths - not sure how many though. That sling, however, is horrible. Even if you follow the directions, your baby is still improperly positioned. It should be taken off the market.

I have several ring slings I use and love. Most slings are perfectly safe if you use them correctly. The infantino one is not.
ErikaS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

Sling Momma

One reason I really love my double ring sling by Maya Wrap is that it came with a DVD to clearly show me how to use the sling safely in many different positions.

It clearly illustrates many different holds and explained which holds were best for each age and stage of development. They were clear on safety issues as well.

My youngest really loved the vertical carry and always had an unobstructed flow of fresh air.
Eeyore's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
El&Asmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
I have to go with CAF on this one. I used a sling with my kiddos, and it's a no-brainer to stay vigilant to make sure they're not getting into a weird or dangerous position. There's no substitute for staying aware of your baby's situation, doesn't matter if they're in the crib, stroller, sling, or otherwise. Accidents definitely happen, and they're horribly tragic when they do (a friend lost her toddler when she was playing in a big cardboard box turned into a "house").
Sorry, but I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to possible accidents that can harm my children. How did the toddler die from playing in a cardboard box? Did it tip over and fall far or something? Not trying to bring up a sad subject, just wanted to add one more worry to my list.

3/96 Frist trip with dh. Offsite
2/05 DD1s first trip at 19 months AKL
9/06 DD2s first trip at 9 months CSR
6/07 Bought into HH DVC!
8/07 Addonitis at SSR
9/07 BWV/SSR
1/08 POR/OKW- NAVC
El&Asmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: