Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #361
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWitch View Post
Oh man, here's the one thing we'll do next time:
Use our Dramamine before we GET OFF THE BOAT! DH and I never had issues ON the boat but holy moley when we got off and started our drive home, it was soooooo bad!! The whole world felt like it was tipped on its side. DH had it so bad that when we stopped to spend the night at a hotel, he slept on the floor with his feet/legs up against the wall to try to stop the sway. Horrible. Who knew? Anyway...that's the single thing i'd change. Oh and maybe a few more hours in the sun on the adult deck to really secure a golden tan to bring back to Michigan in the middle of winter this coming February
I had the same problem after our Dream cruise in December. Lasted about 4 days, which was the same length as our cruise. Just got off the Wonder (7 nights), and I am not having the same problem this time. Surprised, but glad!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #362
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
I had the same problem after our Dream cruise in December. Lasted about 4 days, which was the same length as our cruise. Just got off the Wonder (7 nights), and I am not having the same problem this time. Surprised, but glad!
Oh yeah - this is a real thing. My friend had it for WEEKS after a Med cruise. She finally went to the doctor and told him "I'm losing my mind - I am seasick, and I've been off the boat for weeks"

Google the term "Mal de debarquement"

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #363
disneyfreakliveshere
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWitch View Post
Oh man, here's the one thing we'll do next time:
Use our Dramamine before we GET OFF THE BOAT! DH and I never had issues ON the boat but holy moley when we got off and started our drive home, it was soooooo bad!! The whole world felt like it was tipped on its side. DH had it so bad that when we stopped to spend the night at a hotel, he slept on the floor with his feet/legs up against the wall to try to stop the sway. Horrible. Who knew? Anyway...that's the single thing i'd change. Oh and maybe a few more hours in the sun on the adult deck to really secure a golden tan to bring back to Michigan in the middle of winter this coming February
Thanks for the info, this will probably be my husband when we get off the boat.
disneyfreakliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #364
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

So keep taking motion sickness meds for a few days after the cruise and that will prevent that problem? I get terrible motion sickness so I will need to do this for sure.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #365
tweis
DIS Veteran

We've cruised a couple of times and I can definitely think of some things that we will and will not do in the future.

Will do:
1)Palo- loved dinner. Hoping to have brunch and dinner next cruise.
2)Bring our on alcohol on- we didn't drink as much of it as we thought because we really enjoyed some of the drinks of the day but it was still worth bringing.
3)Hopefully get an early PAT. DH and I were onboard and visiting guest services by 11:35. Made it to Cabanas before the crowds got heavy.
4)Mixology- loved it and totally worth the $15.
5)Park at the port. Yes, its expensive but it was totally worth the price to us. We were able to get on the road back to GA by 7:15.
6)Start taking Bonine BEFORE we board. We had no problems last year but this recent cruise, DH and I both got terribly sick the first night.

Will not do:
1)Stress over every little detail. Last year we cruised as a family and I felt as though we were constantly rushing and not enjoying every moment and really taking everything in. I felt like I did better with this when DH and I cruised and I hope that continues on our 7 night western next year.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #366
gaporee
Mouseketeer

I'm for sure bring my own dipping sauce for chicken strips. If you have little ones who like a certain sauce like honey mustard, honey garlic, plum sauce etc, you better bring it because they don't have any options besides a terrible bbq sauce.

Will do again.
Definitley bringing a fold up laundry basket/hamper again and clothes pins for wet swim wear.

Will Do again: get daughters hair braided by the nice hair braiding ladies but probably early on the vacation rather than at the end.

Will not see every show. Miss the one or two we didn't really enjoy and spend time elsewhere.

Will not do Palo or Remy, didn't last time and wouldn't this time.

Will Not!
Stress over formal night and I will not line up for all the pictures again.

Will Not buy the picture CD, (this is the plan anyway)

Will NOT line up an hour early for a picture with Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Will not pack so many 'dressy' options for myself.
Will not buy formal shoes for my son to wear once. (he's wearing his flip flops!)

All Star Movies January 2011
Pop Century October 2011
Disney Fantasy "Hurricane Sandy cruise" October 2012
Pop Century/ Disney World October 2013 before our cruise
Disney Fantasy October 2013
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
Oasis -- October 2015
gaporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #367
CruiseCrazy44
Mouseketeer

Will do:

1) do an excursion - Our four day cruise was our first ever cruise and we didn't do an excursion on Nassau. We thought we would just get off the boat and walk where we wanted to go. It was lame and we never saw anything after running the gauntlet of people trying to get us to hire them, which makes us uncomfortable.
2) do the ship tour on embarkation day. We never did see the exercise room or the rainforest spa!
3) manage to stay awake after dinner!! We had second seating and because it was only four days, I didn't want to waste time napping in the afternoon, so after filling up at dinner and getting back to the room I was exhausted!
4) I will embarrass my self and do karaoke! I've never had the guts and I've always dreamed about it. I'm not a bad singer, but I'm no pro!
5) I will visit more of the clubs and adults only shows! See number 3. I'm going to have to stay awake to do this!

Will not:
1) pack the Dramamine in the luggage the last night! Our middle son threw up in the car the entire 17 hour trip home, getting his land legs back was awful for him!!
CruiseCrazy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #368
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaporee View Post
I'm for sure bring my own dipping sauce for chicken strips. If you have little ones who like a certain sauce like honey mustard, honey garlic, plum sauce etc, you better bring it because they don't have any options besides a terrible bbq sauce.
They had honey mustard on the Dream in May, has this changed?

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #369
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
They had honey mustard on the Dream in May, has this changed?
Really! Thats good to hear. They only had small packages of bbq sauce on the Fantasy last October. I will have to look into this further!

thanks for the info!

Pop Century October 2011
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
Oasis -- October 2015
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #370
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Will be bringing our own hand soft soap for the bathrooms again.

Will also bring a bathroom air freshener again.

Will throw out the tooth brushes when done with them at the end of the week and have new ones waiting for us at home.

Will spend a couple of hours one night doing laundry while the kids are in the clubs.

Pop Century October 2011
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
Oasis -- October 2015
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #371
mrslaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooovertoo View Post

Just don't bring either? A lot more room....everywhere!
My husband would be euphoric if I left them at home. Lol. That must be his dream cruise...
mrslaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #372
precious2200
"I give myself very good advice. . . but I very seldom follow it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaney

my husband would be euphoric if i left them at home. Lol. That must be his dream cruise...
lol

Been to Disney World more times than I can count
First Disney cruise in the works!
precious2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #373
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Doing
1. Going to take take as many opportunities as possible to have our pictures taken around the ship, at dinner and at CC and getting the CD plus prints. Pictures are the best souvenirs!

2. We're signing up for more adult activities like Mixology, etc.

3. Getting a Rainforest pass.

4. Remy lunch!

5. Spending time with my kids on the adult area of the ship since they're all over 18 now.

Not Doing
1. Not missing Aquaduck this time!

2. Not packing so many shoes, they're add weight to my luggage and I don't really need six pairs of shoes. Or do I?
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #374
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillo Mom View Post
Not packing so many shoes, they're add weight to my luggage and I don't really need six pairs of shoes. Or do I?
I cannot cut down on the shoes. I've tried. It's difficult!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #375
Canadian Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
So keep taking motion sickness meds for a few days after the cruise and that will prevent that problem? I get terrible motion sickness so I will need to do this for sure.
I have issues off and on with my middle ear at home and take Gravol so I was worried about the four day Dream Cruise last summer. I didn't have any problems and didn't need a single pill. We are taking a week long cruise on the Fantasy next winter and am hoping for the same experience as she is sister to the Dream. My adult daughter needed it on our cruise and never has issues at home. So don't worry until you know how you will react.
Anticipating problems might actually be self-fufilling.
Canadian Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: