Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #106
TokyoDina
DIS Veteran

Wow Alison that is sooooo cool! I hope I am able to do this some day! I'm a wanna be chef! Haha I plan to attend Culinary School very soon. As a matter of fact I'm apply next week but I won't be able to start classes till later in the year. But wow! I at least need to go during DL's Food and Wine Fest! Just wow!
TokyoDina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #107
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDina View Post
Wow Alison that is sooooo cool! I hope I am able to do this some day! I'm a wanna be chef! Haha I plan to attend Culinary School very soon. As a matter of fact I'm apply next week but I won't be able to start classes till later in the year. But wow! I at least need to go during DL's Food and Wine Fest! Just wow!
I think anyone into food should go there! I love the winemaker dinners the most, (well besides the cooking school) we just got back home from one and it was amazing! I'll post the pictures in the next day or so, but we got to eat Wagyu Kobe Beef and it was cooked to PERFECTION!

Our next official event is a Brewmaster Dinner in 2 weeks, but we're back next weekend for some unofficial events, it should be great.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #108
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Love your report!!! I was so inspired by your report that we left early to spend some time in DCA before going to the swing band at DLR. Had the halibut and the soup, both were wonderful! AND NOW, we just have to go back and do some wine tasting and spend more time at the F/W. Oh darn
Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #109
The Red Head
Mouseketeer

Alison, everything looked amazing. I will have to join you for the cooking school next year. I just decided against it this year because I wanted to spend money on our vacation instead. We ate at some really good restaurants in Maui. We got home yesterday.
The Red Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #110
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Love your report!!! I was so inspired by your report that we left early to spend some time in DCA before going to the swing band at DLR. Had the halibut and the soup, both were wonderful! AND NOW, we just have to go back and do some wine tasting and spend more time at the F/W. Oh darn
Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Head View Post
Alison, everything looked amazing. I will have to join you for the cooking school next year. I just decided against it this year because I wanted to spend money on our vacation instead. We ate at some really good restaurants in Maui. We got home yesterday.
It was really fun, as always! I'm thinking of trying the Paparadelle Pasta at home in the next couple weeks. Glad you had a nice trip in Maui...I hope to get DP there when the DVC opens up, but I love the Big Island, so we'll have to go there too!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #111
franandaj

Update Monday April 19

So today was checkout day, but I wanted to extend our little trip a bit more. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to do this on any other days because DP would complain about spending too much time out here. That’s already started and we haven’t even come back for our second trip!

So we barely got out of our room, it was 15 minutes after checkout that we finally left. We hit Soarin’ for FPs since this would have the longest line of the rides I wanted to hit, and then headed directly over to California Screamin’. I only needed one ride, probably since I hit Space Mountain twice the day before. By this point I was hungry and the Thai Rice Spring Roll, I’d seen at Lucky Fortune Company sounded like a good little snack to try. And then I’d still have a little room to go back to the Marketplace and get another one of those bread bowls with cheddar cheese soup.

Here is the spring roll as it is served

And posed for the picture

For as vegetarian and healthy this is, it was really tasty. I think it was the vinegar sauce that gave it the really good flavor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t like vegetables, but I really like things with mooing beef and bacon. You could probably wrap anything in bacon and I would attempt to eat it!

For the first time since DCA opened (10 years ago!) we did the mission tortilla tour and got a free freshly made tortilla! I might have to add this to my obligatory free snack tour! If there is no line, what the heck!

After this we went to the Blue Sky Cellar to see about the WoC preview, but DP’s Scooter started to really act up, so we left pretty quickly. We discussed leaving her scooter near the hotel and me walking, but it seemed OK for the trip back by the hotel so we headed to Soarin for me to use my FP. Then we went to the Marketplace for our snacks, without incident with the scooter. Since we both ate things that I had already posted pictures of, I didn’t bother to take pictures this time.

We headed to Marceline’s for more sweet treats and then headed back to get out bags, retrieve our car and head home.

I promised toocherie some pictures of our tray tables from the Taste event last year. So here they are and how we built them.

Here is a view of the underside of the table:

The iron thing you see attached here is a plant holder. If one were to use it for it’s intended purpose, the part that is not attached to the tray would be nailed to the side of a fence or building and the pot would be suspended in the ring. This photo might make it a little more clear.

To attach the rings to the table we used cable ties, the kind that you would use if you were trying to attach your cables to your walls.

We purchased a fairly long board, and cut it into three pieces (one was not usable), but the usable pieces were about 20 inches wide. That was how wide we determined that our tables needed to be. We then purchased moulding and cut it to the lengths of the sides of the tray and nailed them on as lips to hold plates and glasses on in case they slide off.

I hope this helps you out!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #112
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Alison, that Rice Paper Roll is what I have for lunch once a week. YUM! We get it here in a pack of 4 for about $6. We have choices of vegetarian, prawn and pork. We also have a choice of dipping sauce - fish sauce (with some chilli thrown in) or peanut sauce.

They are also really very simple to make....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #113
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Whew, made it through the whole thing!!!

You're not joking when you say you go to the F&W Festival!!! You literally do almost every single thing there! That's so awesome!!!

Plllleeaaase help me convince my DH to take me to one of the F&W festival weekends before our AP's expire June 4!!!!!

I think that is too cool, that you got to eat at Club 33 AND meet Mr. Lasseter himself! Rock on!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #114
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Whew, made it through the whole thing!!!
Congratulations, it's starting to get pretty long now!

Quote:
You're not joking when you say you go to the F&W Festival!!! You literally do almost every single thing there! That's so awesome!!!
I HAVE to do the Cooking School ever since that first year, it was a totally life changing experience! As I said i sstarted growing herbs and tomatoes, today I found my first tomatoes for this year on the vines.

Quote:
Plllleeaaase help me convince my DH to take me to one of the F&W festival weekends before our AP's expire June 4!!!!!
If nothing else you can do the beer walks, but just to try all the other food stuff, you'd love the seared tuna, and if you guys like any Food Network personalities...just tell him you need one more trip...he loves you and you're not that far...

Where are you Tulare? Visalia? We have a real good friend in Tulare that we need to visit when everything else is our real lives blow over.

I hope you can get down here!

Quote:

I think that is too cool, that you got to eat at Club 33 AND meet Mr. Lasseter himself! Rock on!
Having a friend who is a member of Club 33 is pretty cool because I can ask for a reservation as long as it is far enough in advance, but to do a dinner like this was awesome! It's only so often when they let the members bring additional guests, it's pretty pricey so only a few people are interested in such an event. But WOW John Lasseter was so nice and down to earth, just like I would have thought, but it was great to meet him!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #115
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

All of your pictures are great! The food at The Napa Rose Cooking School looked so good! Your meal and experience with John Lasseter at CLUB 33 seemed AWESOME!

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #116
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

Can't wait for the next installment, Alison.
Your reports are wonderful.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
lulubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #117
franandaj

My first experience with the F&W Festival was several years back when it was F&W Weekends. There was a Winemaker Dinner at Steakhouse 55 on my Birthday and it was one of my favorite wineries, Beaulieu. Since then my favorite parts of the F&W Festival have been the Winemaker Dinners at Steakhouse 55.

Friday April 23, we attended the Buena Vista Winemaker Dinner and it was FABULOUS! Chef Jason outdid himself yet again!

Doesn’t it make you feel special when you walk up to a restaurant with a sign reading “Private Party” and you’re part of it?

The Menu

We were seated at the same table as last week!

We were served an Amuse Bouche that was a Salmon Beggar’s Purse filled with goat cheese, tied with a chive atop an English cucumber with capers, caviar and a little edible orchid. This was served with a Carneros Chardonnay, not sure of the vintage.

The Winemaker Jeff Stewart was entertaining and explained all the wines and the winery’s philosophy thoroughly.

Our first course was a “Paella” Saffron Rice with English Peas, Cantimpalitos, “Oyster”, Shrimp, Clams and Lobster Butter. Chef Jason explained that Disney will not let him serve Oysters unless they are thoroughly cooked, so instead we were served the “oyster” of the chicken. Those of you who roast your own birds know about this tasty treat that never makes it out of the kitchen because the cook usually eats it before the bird is offered to anyone else! The Cantimpalitos is a tasty little pork sausage which you also see here. This was served with a 2006 Chardonnay from the Ramal Vineyards. I preferred the first Chardonnay which was a little bit fruitier, but they were both good.

Our next course was a Lamb Porterhouse, Pistachio crusted, puy lentils, and Eggplant Parmesan. This was absolutely WONDERFUL! It was cooked to perfection. The Eggplant Parmesan was actually pureed and stuffed inside the zucchini blossom that you see here. The wine was a 2005 Merlot from the Carneros region.

Chef Jason explained every course as it was brought out from the kitchen. He is always entertaining and his love of food comes through clearly as he describes the courses.

Between courses the chef and staff come around to the tables to chat. Here is me with Chef Jason

And Eric the Sommelier

This is Jim Ames, the man in charge of the whole Food & Wine Festival, Thanks Jim!

The third course was an American Wagyu Flat Iron Steak with roasted root Vegetables, Shimeji mushrooms, Cippolini Onions with a Pinot Noir Reduction. The wine was a 2006 Pinot Noir from the Ramal Vineyards.

We could have purchased some of the bottles of wine if we so desired.

The last course was a Devil’s Mousse cake with Corillera Dark Chocolate, raspberry sauce, and Mascarpone Brown Sugar ice Cream. This was served with a 2006 Syrah from the Ramal Vineyard.

I finished up the evening with a cup of herbal tea.

Thanks for reading…next up my birthday trip to Napa Rose!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #118
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
My first experience with the F&W Festival was several years back when it was F&W Weekends. There was a Winemaker Dinner at Steakhouse 55 on my Birthday and it was one of my favorite wineries, Beaulieu. Since then my favorite parts of the F&W Festival have been the Winemaker Dinners at Steakhouse 55.

Friday April 23, we attended the Buena Vista Winemaker Dinner and it was FABULOUS! Chef Jason outdid himself yet again!

Doesn’t it make you feel special when you walk up to a restaurant with a sign reading “Private Party” and you’re part of it?

The Menu

We were seated at the same table as last week!

We were served an Amuse Bouche that was a Salmon Beggar’s Purse filled with goat cheese, tied with a chive atop an English cucumber with capers, caviar and a little edible orchid. This was served with a Carneros Chardonnay, not sure of the vintage.

The Winemaker Jeff Stewart was entertaining and explained all the wines and the winery’s philosophy thoroughly.

Our first course was a “Paella” Saffron Rice with English Peas, Cantimpalitos, “Oyster”, Shrimp, Clams and Lobster Butter. Chef Jason explained that Disney will not let him serve Oysters unless they are thoroughly cooked, so instead we were served the “oyster” of the chicken. Those of you who roast your own birds know about this tasty treat that never makes it out of the kitchen because the cook usually eats it before the bird is offered to anyone else! The Cantimpalitos is a tasty little pork sausage which you also see here. This was served with a 2006 Chardonnay from the Ramal Vineyards. I preferred the first Chardonnay which was a little bit fruitier, but they were both good.

Our next course was a Lamb Porterhouse, Pistachio crusted, puy lentils, and Eggplant Parmesan. This was absolutely WONDERFUL! It was cooked to perfection. The Eggplant Parmesan was actually pureed and stuffed inside the zucchini blossom that you see here. The wine was a 2005 Merlot from the Carneros region.

Chef Jason explained every course as it was brought out from the kitchen. He is always entertaining and his love of food comes through clearly as he describes the courses.

Between courses the chef and staff come around to the tables to chat. Here is me with Chef Jason

And Eric the Sommelier

This is Jim Ames, the man in charge of the whole Food & Wine Festival, Thanks Jim!

The third course was an American Wagyu Flat Iron Steak with roasted root Vegetables, Shimeji mushrooms, Cippolini Onions with a Pinot Noir Reduction. The wine was a 2006 Pinot Noir from the Ramal Vineyards.

We could have purchased some of the bottles of wine if we so desired.

The last course was a Devil’s Mousse cake with Corillera Dark Chocolate, raspberry sauce, and Mascarpone Brown Sugar ice Cream. This was served with a 2006 Syrah from the Ramal Vineyard.

I finished up the evening with a cup of herbal tea.

Thanks for reading…next up my birthday trip to Napa Rose!
Seeing that sign is a great feeling!

Wow everything looks soooo good! I have not eaten dinner tonight and now I'm starving! What great picture of the food!

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #119
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
Seeing that sign is a great feeling!

Wow everything looks soooo good! I have not eaten dinner tonight and now I'm starving! What great picture of the food!
I know, isn't it cool to see a sign like that? For the past few hours we've both been here posting our TRs and reading each other's TR's. I did take some time to reheat some leftovers that I brought with us to the villas. Le Cellier Cheese Soup that I made a couple nights ago, YUM!

I'll even post that in my TR when I get there. I'm just looking out my balcony hoping that they do some WoC testing!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #120
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

It all has looked so wonderful. And it seems to really be enjoyable.
kaoden39 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: