Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #31
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Just wait until I post the pictures from Taste!

Oh you definitely should! You're close enough, take your BWG (is that his nickname?) and leave the kids! The events are pricey, but I save all year for this. We bought points at the GCV so we can stay there for "free" every year during F&W at least 2 weekends a year.
Honestly, I am bad WBG is staying home too. I am going with my best friend. He is happier that way.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #32
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

We didn’t do very many of the complimentary demonstrations this year. Probably because we did so many of the dinners and other events! Here is a view of the set up for the culinary demo tent.

One morning we watched the winners of the Navy cooking competition present their version of some famous French chicken dish whose name escapes me. Basically what they did was remove the skin from a chicken, debone it, fill it with some stuffing, roll it back up and roast it, then they added a very tasty gravy. We got to try a sample of it and it was very good, I can see why they won!

Later that day we also went to a demonstration with Cat Cora but my camera battery was so low I wanted to save every little bit of it for the autograph session so I could get a picture with her, so no food pics. She did make some shrimp that was spicy and very tasty, and a yogurt parfait.

On another day we visited the Lounge at the Golden Vine Winery. Here you could purchase flights of wine and special appetizers and desserts. We got a flight of Pinot Noir, but I also think we got a flight of Riesling, just no pictures of it. We got the bread and cheese plate which was plenty for two to share. We had wanted to order one of the desserts, but we were too full.

On yet another day we went back because I wanted to try the Filet Mignon sliders. They were pretty good, but the filet was so small that it was overcooked. I would have been happier if they put the meat on the grill, turned it over and took it off, in as much time as it took to read that! Mmmmm rare meat, but alas, they were medium to well, however I still ate them, and had a glass of MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir to go along with them.

One of the afternoons in the park we did a beer tasting.

They didn’t give us much in the way of samples, but we learned some pretty interesting things about the palate and the presenter was quite entertaining.

All festival long I had been curious about the Tequila tastings that I had seen on the schedule and several times we had tried to make it to one, but something always came up. On the last weekend of the Festival, the afternoon before we were attending Taste, I was dead set on getting to this tasting, and we did!

The tasting was sponsored by Don Julio Tequila, they gave us four samples, the first (left to right) was a Blanco, the next a Reposado, the third an Añejo and the last was their new Tequila 1942 which retails for $70-100 per bottle . If you’re not familiar with Tequila, each one of the Tequilas as we moved from left to right (other than the Blanco) was aged in an oak barrel. Two years aging is required for Reposado and I think it’s five years for Añejo. My favorite is the Blanco or the Reposado, the taste of the Añejo is a little too strong when it picks up all that oak. But I’ll tell you that 1942 was pretty darned smooth!

So that’s it for my tootling around the festival shots, as you can see most of what I did was Signature Events and I have two more coming up for you!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #33
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Isn't Cat Cora just a doll? She used to live here, we used to shop in the same grocery store, and we worked out at the same gym. She always had a smile and a kind word.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Mouse13
DIS Veteran

Great report! We were in the parks last year during the Food & Wine Fest and are heading back for it again this year!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #35
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse13 View Post
Great report! We were in the parks last year during the Food & Wine Fest and are heading back for it again this year!
Thanks! I love your signature picture BTW.

It looks like you're coming one week before my last weekend there. By the time you get there I should have posted a pretty good selection of what there is to offer at the festival. I am just counting down the days!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #36
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

I'm starting to get really excited about checking DCA's out Food & Wine. Thank you for all of the pictures and reviews.

When do they announce what demos will be going on?

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #37
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
I'm starting to get really excited about checking DCA's out Food & Wine. Thank you for all of the pictures and reviews.

When do they announce what demos will be going on?
I don't know, but I'm getting really ancy about it, I could have sworn that by this time last year they had the complimentary demos on the website. I could be wrong but I'm really curious which weekends all the celebrity chefs will be there. We only waited in line on the weekends that we'd already planned to be there so I'm curious about that plus what ever other demos will be going on. I would really like it if they annouced the tapas plates in advance. Last year at WDW I made a whole spreadsheet of what I wanted to try, what world to find it in...I suppose it won't be that complicated here since they are all in one place, but inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #38
franandaj

Taste 2009

Taste was an amazing event. At first I wasn’t interested in it because I had heard that there wasn’t much seating and a lot of standing. I have a foot injury which makes it difficult to walk around the parks. DP has severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and can’t really walk at all, only very short distances. The both of us use scooters when we travel to Disney. So back to my apprehension to attend Taste. I didn’t relish the idea of standing around all night trying to carry plates around for the both of us and possibly spilling things, it just didn’t sound fun.

However DP was really thinking, her solution, attach tray tables to the front of our scooters! That way we have seats wherever we go and a table. I was doubtful, and she kept dragging her heels on this to the point that we were at Home Depot the night before looking for the supplies and figuring out what we could do to attach them. Finally after some sawing, nailing and zip ties, we had our solution!

We were staying at the Grand Californian that night so after hanging out in the park, we checked into our room which was finally ready, took a short nap and got ready for the evening. When the bellman brought out bags up, he said, “We have been looking at these things in storage all day, what ARE they?” I showed him how they would fit on the front of our scooters and he laughed, guess this was the first time they saw that!

We left the room about ½ an hour before the event started and found a HUGE line on the esplanade! Good thing we had our chairs and tables already picked out. They led us through the park to Stage 17, everyone was identified as a paying guest by a little tag that hung around your neck on a lanyard which also had descriptions of all the foods we would be tasting. Each guest was handed a wine glass upon entry. As soon as we got into Stage 17 there were huge lines and bottlenecks for the food immediately in front of the entrance. We decided that a better strategy was to start on the other side of the room in the back.

Our first stop was with Chef Andrew Sutton from the Napa Rose. He had prepared a Laura Chenel goat Cheese Tart. When you approached his station each one of these tasty little morsels was prepared for you. The mushrooms and onion gravy on the plate first, then the tart was placed on top and then the salad garnish. The tart shell was filled with the lovely goat cheese which was not too tangy, just creamy and light.

We found that we could fit three plates on our little tray tables so we would ride down the aisle, pick up three plates, fill our wine glasses and park at the end of the aisle out of the way of the traffic to enjoy the tasty treats.

Our next stop was the Cantonese chicken on sticky rice cake from Chef Martha Sigala of Café Orleans. Of course it was good, but the chicken was a little sweet and the sticky rice cake was really sticky. I ate it all though.

This next morsel was not listed on the card they gave us to help identify what foods came from which restaurants. As I look through my pictures and compare them to the card, I’m going to have to say that this one came from Catal because the only other item that I can’t seem to find was from Brennan’s and somehow, sashimi doesn’t seem to fit their Profile!

After scarfing down those tasty bits, we went down the row again to pick up what we missed on the first trip. Our first stop was the Beef Carpaccio from Chef Greg Stilman from Naples Ristorante. I was a little reluctant to eat this and I don’t know why because I have been eating raw fish for over 20 years! Why should raw beef scare me? The little bit of salt & pepper seasoning was so tasty and I can’t remember what the stuff on top was, but the whole thing was scrumptious!

The next item was a Foccacia crostini topped with brie & duck confit from Chef April Ventura of the Golden Vine Winery. This one did not stand out amongst all the others, it was good, but if I had room for seconds, this wouldn’t have been where I went.

Our final item on this side of Taste was from Chef Marcel St. Pierre of Club 33, it was called Perigord truffle vol-au-vent, raclette fondue. As with everything that I have eaten from Club 33 this was absolutely exquisite. I had to Google this to figure out how all these descriptive factors fit into the sampling, but it was a perfect description. The vol-au-vent refers to the puff pastry which houses the yummy filing, and I suppose that it was made with Perigord truffles. The raclette fondue is the cheese filling that fills this exquisite pastry.

That’s it for the first side of the room on taste, but there is much more to come.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #39
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Quote:
I don't know, but I'm getting really ancy about it, I could have sworn that by this time last year they had the complimentary demos on the website. I could be wrong but I'm really curious which weekends all the celebrity chefs will be there. We only waited in line on the weekends that we'd already planned to be there so I'm curious about that plus what ever other demos will be going on. I would really like it if they annouced the tapas plates in advance. Last year at WDW I made a whole spreadsheet of what I wanted to try, what world to find it in...I suppose it won't be that complicated here since they are all in one place, but inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!
I hope they announce the demos soon. We have very limited time durning F&W, so it would be nice too have some sort of plan. I guess I will just try and check the website everyday.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #40
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
I hope they announce the demos soon. We have very limited time durning F&W, so it would be nice too have some sort of plan. I guess I will just try and check the website everyday.
I know what you mean, I just want to plan what I'm going to do! I hope they announce something more soon!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #41
thmar
DIS Veteran

franandaj...the food looks wonderful!! I'm looking forward to more. I'll definately have to try the Beef Carpaccio from Naples Ristorante. I love this dish, and Chef Greg Stilman's looks wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

God Bless...

thmar
thmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #42
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmar View Post
franandaj...the food looks wonderful!! I'm looking forward to more. I'll definately have to try the Beef Carpaccio from Naples Ristorante. I love this dish, and Chef Greg Stilman's looks wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.
I think that was a special Taste exclusive. I just checked allears.net menu and it's not on there. Too bad. I've never eaten at Naples Ristorante, but that's something I might have tried it for!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #43
thmar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that was a special Taste exclusive. I just checked allears.net menu and it's not on there. Too bad. I've never eaten at Naples Ristorante, but that's something I might have tried it for!
I've never eaten there either, but thought if they had this...I give it a try. Darn! Oh well...maybe I'll have to check them out someday anyway. Again, thanks for the photos!!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

God Bless...

thmar
thmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #44
franandaj

Taste 2009 - 2nd Installment

After sampling everything on the far side of the room, our tummies were definitely getting full, but we persevered! Our first stop was the House of Blues, they were the very first table once you got in the door and were mobbed when we came in, but by this time things had calmed down quite a bit and everyone was slowing down. HOB did a bonus offering not only were they serving their dish that was listed on our lanyard, the Crab Cake Slider with smashed lemon caper tartar sauce, but they also had a plate of home made potato chips.

OK, now this is becoming a problem, perhaps we should have been splitting these dishes! That crab cake was big enough for a serving for me! How the heck am I going to get through the rest of these dishes? Next stop the Chicken & Waffle Roulade with Vermont Maple Syrup Ice Cream and Raspberry “Caviar” from Chef Sean Layne of Celebration Ranch. This was the perfect balance of sweet and savory, for those who have been to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles, imagine a kicked up gourmet version. Yummmmm! This was so good! Good sized portion too, it didn’t break the belt!

Moving on right next door was Chef Jason Martin of Steakhouse 55’s Mediterranean Macaroni & Cheese with Hanger Steak. Now I don’t know what made this “Mediterranean”, to me it tasted just like good ole Mac-n-Cheese. The steak was cooked excellently, but no matter how much I was going to try, there was no way I would be able to finish it

But still….had…to….try….every…thing…one…more…bite. We stopped at the end of the row and watched Nanta give a performance. They were highly entertaining. The first performance they gave was using knives and cutting boards, they performed rhythmic dance, and the cutting boards were filled with vegetables. Chef Sutton warned us not to get too close, the veggies were flying! The second performance was with pots and pans as drums (I think), no food was involved. That gave us about a 20 minute breather from eating, and a second wind!

This next item was from Chef Jaime Gwen, on the lanyard, it said that it was supposed to be a Pork Belly Slider, but I distinctly remember that it was a Meatloaf Slider, or at least that’s what she called it. Slider! HA! I’d call it more of a boulder. I couldn’t eat this and not because I was too full because there was WAY too much cumin in there. No way in heck, too much spice and besides I couldn’t hardly get my mouth around it. We were sure glad that we started on the side with the little plates!

Now this is where things get blurry, by process of elimination, I’m going to have to say that this is the Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Artichoke Heart from Chef Darrin Finkel at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, but I don’t remember eating it. If I did I’m sure it was good. The one thing I don’t seem to have is a picture of the Roasted Monkfish Cake with charmoula from Chef Moizes Carranza at the Blue Bayou. Unless this is the elusive Avocado and Dungeness Crab Roll from Catal. I really need to take better notes and pictures this year! I promise I will!

This is it for the savories…next up sweets and end of evening.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #45
PinkPrincessZ
Mouseketeer

Awesome review of Taste!

PinkPrincessZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: