Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #46
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Thanks for reviewing the D23 Party. It's a shame it didn't live up to expectations.

On another note, your photos are really good! Do you mind me asking what camera you use? I'm on the prowl for a new one.
Yeah, I was really dissappointed in the event. Especially for the price. Considering Disneyland's D23 Party was about half as much, and they had celebrities and Disney legends in attendance, I don't think WDW's was worth the special trip.

Thank you I use a Nikon D40. I really like it, but after two years with it, I think I'm ready to upgrade again! It's my first DSLR camera, and I love how simple it is to use. There's no lag in-between photos, so it's really easy to capture those quick once-in-a-lifetime shots that you normally miss with other digital cameras.
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #47
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Hi!!! I just wanted to say your reviews are terrific!!!! I'm amazed by your meal at 'Ohana!!! WOW!!! What an amazing flight of VEGAN courses!!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #48
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_gan View Post
Thank you I use a Nikon D40. I really like it, but after two years with it, I think I'm ready to upgrade again! It's my first DSLR camera, and I love how simple it is to use. There's no lag in-between photos, so it's really easy to capture those quick once-in-a-lifetime shots that you normally miss with other digital cameras.
Thanks. It would be my first DSLR camera too, so it sounds ideal. I'll definitely check it out!
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #49
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Hi!!! I just wanted to say your reviews are terrific!!!! I'm amazed by your meal at 'Ohana!!! WOW!!! What an amazing flight of VEGAN courses!!!
It really was amazing. And I'm hoping I get the same thing in two weeks!

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #50
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 4 - Old Port Royale Breakfast

Wow. Considering my next (and last, for a few years) trip is next Saturday, I better wrap these reviews up!

Today was our departure day. Since I was sick this whole trip, I decided not to make myself get up early. But I still got up early enough to pack, get ready, and then go have breakfast.

After I packed, I headed out to walk around the resort for the first time. I layed in a hammock for about a minute, walked around and looked at all the pools, and then I made my way into Old Port Royale.

And I really wanted Mickey Waffles. So I set out on my mission.

I found the station that was serving Mickey Waffles, and waited in line.

When it was my turn, I asked if they could make egg- and dairy-free waffles. They told me to wait a moment, and they would get a chef. It took a minute, so I just stood off to the side and waited. When the chef came, I asked my question again and he said that they could absolutely do that! He said it would take a little extra time, but I said that was fine. So I got out of line and stood off to the side while I waited.

No more than 5-10 minutes later, I had my very own, vegan Mickey Waffles. I thanked the chef for making them for me, paid for my meal, and headed off to find a seat.

This was my first time really doing anything on my own at Disney World. So I found a table in a corner by a window and enjoyed my time alone. It was weird eating alone at first, but then I noticed that no one was really paying any attention. So I enjoyed the rest of the time I had by myself.

Ta-da! Vegan Mickey Waffles!

I got them with the strawberry sauce, and picked up some syrup on the way to my table.

(I'm sorry, I couldn't help it! )

I hate to say this, but they weren't very good. Actually, if you want complete honesty, they were terrible. I don't know if it was so much the waffles that were bad as it was the toppings. The strawberry sauce and syrup were both disgusting. I would have paid some big bucks during this meal for some real maple syrup.

I really can't even remember the taste of the waffles. Only how bad the toppings were. But I was so happy to just have the opportunity to eat Mickey Waffles. You haven no idea how excited I was to finally get a Mickey-shaped treat that I could eat

I would definitely give vegan Mickey Waffles another chance. I'll just have to remember to pack an emergency supply of maple syrup

Up Next: Old Port Royale Lunch

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #51
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 4 - Old Port Royale Lunch

After breakfast, I headed back outside and walked around Caribbean Cay and then back to the room to finish loading the car. We went to Downtown Disney for an hour or two, and then headed back to Caribbean Beach for lunch. I was hoping to get the vegetable platter I had seen listed on a menu during dinner, but it wasn't available for lunch. I did, however, spy a black bean burger:

Unfortunately, after inquiring about it's contents, it was out of the question. It contained eggs. But the same wonderful chef that had helped me at breakfast (I believe his name was Todd) offered the suggestion of their regular veggie burger patty on a vegan bun, with the lettuce mixed with a vinegarette. It also came with freshly made sweet potato chips. Sounded good to me! I ordered two: one for me, one for my sister.

This time it took a bit longer, and there was also a family with allergies behind me waiting to talk to the chef. It tookd a good 15 minutes to get our food, but I didn't really mind.

Once the food did arrive, I thanked the chef again for helping me, and then went to pick up a few more items to finish using our snack credits.

To the right of all the cookies and pastries (where those people are standing) is where the Divvies products are kept. They had the same selection as Pop Century did the year before: Chocolate chip cookies and caramel corn.

There are plenty of healthy snacks to pick up here.

Fresh, whole fruit..

Freshly cut and sliced fruit, fruit bowls, salads, veggies and dip (usually Ranch, but you can pick up a vinegarette to use).

After I picked out my sides, I headed outside to ge a table.

I got a bowl of pineapple, a side salad, and a packet of Ken's Italian salad dressing. Plus some Divvies caramel corn and cookies for snacking in the car

The veggie burger patty was really yummy. The bun, however, was not. It was really dry. If I had smothered it in ketchup, it might have made it better. But I didn't. So it was just dry. The sweet potato chips tasted a little burnt. It was during this time we became bombarded with birds. So me and my sister both broke up our chips into pieces and fed them to the birds.

By the time I got to my side salad and pineapple, I was pretty full. But these were both fresh and tasty.

Not so sure I'll be ordering another veggie burger at Disney World if these are the only buns I can eat. Yuck. I was really dissappointed to find out the other buns aren't vegan. I hope this changes sometime soon, or they at least find an edible allergy-free bun to serve. Otherwise I might have to start carrying around my own buns, along with those tiny bottles of maple syrup!

The caramel corn and cookies were really good on the way home. I Divvies.

And that's that! I'll have a new batch of reviews after our trip in May. Me and Jon are going to a few new places, and I'll be in a much better mood on this trip

New places we'll be trying: Beaches and Cream, Cosmic Ray's (or El Pirata), Backlot Express, California Grill, and The Wave. And (hopefully) another wonderful meal with Chef TJ! *crosses fingers*

I hope you all enjoyed the reviews, and I apologize for taking so long

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #52
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Old Port Royale looks like a fun food court. It's a shame the food wasn't so great! Would you recommend CBR?

Thanks for your reviews, I look forward to more. Have a great trip!
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #53
athenna
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting a long time for a new, really, cool tag..., but I was hit by a drive by tagging instead!

Enjoyed your reviews!
We were @ the D23 party, also...Acutally, my fiance and I were sitting on the same side you were upstairs, we were on the other end close to the stairs....I agree, I was disappointed in it, the meal was chaos, I expected some type of organization
I didnt even realize until I got back to my seat and look down, that I missed a whole sections of foods, I never saw the salads, etc while I was downstairs..It was a mess

I got engaged 1/24/10 in Epcot
Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #54
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike

yay for divvies!

It is a big bummer about the Mickey Waffles. I heard they could be veganized and was looking forward to trying them

DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #55
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
Old Port Royale looks like a fun food court. It's a shame the food wasn't so great! Would you recommend CBR?

Thanks for your reviews, I look forward to more. Have a great trip!
I wanted to try the vegetable platter they had in the food court for dinner. I have a feeling it would have been good!

And, yes, I would reccommend CBR. Our pirate room was fantastic. The only thing I had some issues with were the CMs in the lobby. I didn't have a single good experience in there. But the food court and the gift shop were both nice. And if it hadn't been freezing during our trip, I'm sure the pools would have been fantastic. The pirate pool was one of the main reasons I wanted to stay there. There were so many things we didn't get to experience due to the cold weather. I'm sure it would be better in the heat, and I would definitely try it again one day (after I've made my way through the other moderate resorts!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenna View Post
Enjoyed your reviews!
We were @ the D23 party, also...Acutally, my fiance and I were sitting on the same side you were upstairs, we were on the other end close to the stairs....I agree, I was disappointed in it, the meal was chaos, I expected some type of organization
I didnt even realize until I got back to my seat and look down, that I missed a whole sections of foods, I never saw the salads, etc while I was downstairs..It was a mess
The organization really was a mess. I just couldn't believe they weren't seating guests to make room for everyone. I just didn't enjoy myself at all, and I'm hesitant to attend any other D23 events now. Especially for the price. I just don't think it's worth it, and I hate to say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticletters View Post
yay for divvies!

It is a big bummer about the Mickey Waffles. I heard they could be veganized and was looking forward to trying them
Yay for Divvies, indeed! I looove Divvies. They're so addicting.

I was a bit bummed about the waffles. I would definitely try them again, though, if I got the chance. But I'm serious about bringing my own maple syrup next time! haha. Those toppings were so awful.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #56
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

I hope you'll be posting some reviews of your upcoming trip!

I know you mentioned being from Birmingham...we will be heading that way next Friday (two days before we go to Disney ourselves!) to visit some friends for dinner. They mentioned a place called Surin and then one called Cocina Superior. Any vegan items on these menus? I'm thinking with Surin being Thai that might be a little better...but they are leaning towards the Margaritas at Cocina!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #57
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandibc11 View Post
I hope you'll be posting some reviews of your upcoming trip!

I know you mentioned being from Birmingham...we will be heading that way next Friday (two days before we go to Disney ourselves!) to visit some friends for dinner. They mentioned a place called Surin and then one called Cocina Superior. Any vegan items on these menus? I'm thinking with Surin being Thai that might be a little better...but they are leaning towards the Margaritas at Cocina!
Of course!

I've actually never been to either (I don't eat out much unless I'm on vacation), but I've heard good things about both. I'm sure you could find a vegan item at both of the restaurants. Here's a link to their menus:

http://www.thecocinasuperior.com/menu.html
Looks like they have veggie enchiladas, fajitas, and a wrap.

http://www.surinwest.com/
I think you can substitue tofu or vegetables for most of the meat-based entrees.

There's a restaurant/music venue downtown called Bottletree that serves quite a few vegan entrees and desserts. It's not fancy in the least, but it's fun and different. A lot of "hipsters" go here, but if you can get around that, it's great.
http://www.thebottletree.com/btmenu.html

There's also a few mediterranean restaurants that have falafel and vegetable kebabs.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #58
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Thanks so Much!

Thank you for the suggestions! Turns out we won't be going afterall...which is just as well; we have to pack for Disney!

Hope you're having a blast on your trip.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #59
purpleveg
Earning My Ears

I'm so excited for you next reviews! They are all so fun to read!
That sucks about the vegan waffles...do you think they were gluten free too? That might be why..my mom is somewhat gluten intolerant and we make baked goods (when we have to, like birthdays) gluten free (vegan sometimes too) Some turn out ok and some...not so much. haha, just wondering.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #60
VeganRazzleDazzle
Mouseketeer

This is probably a little late but better late then never right!

Your Dumbo Ride pic (the closeup) is AMAZING!!!

It is better than any on the Disney Website! They should buy it from you.
What kind of camera do you have???
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: