Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
casjen
DIS Veteran

I had the brownie there, it was amazing

I am a dairy free vegetarian. Not all the way vegan but on my way. The brownie was HUGE and dairy free/gluten free. I am not sure about eggs. It wasn't a prepackaged brownie. It was a giant triangle slice treat.

I also really enjoyed Crystal Palace for dinner. I was shocked how much tasty food there was for me to eat.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #32
loveWDWalways
I've heard it smells better than the name implies!

My sister and I this thread! It's one of my favorites on the Disboards. We're vegetarian, and we always find so many delicious options at WDW. We love Boma (and loved the pictures you posted ... they hold us over until our own trip soon!). Boma's white bean hummus needs its own special day ... and to celebrate it, I'll make sure the hummus is guest of honor in my stomach.

I wanted to know if your vegan entries at 'Ohana are really ginger-y? I know you mentioned the broth, but what about the other things? Is anything smoky? Those are two flavors I really don't like, but the food looks so great, I want to try it next time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #33
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlfromTN View Post
Can't wait to hear about the d23 party!
It's not going to be as awesome as it sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleveg View Post
So, I have been lurking your reviews for a while and just got an account because I figure I need to thank you for posting such awesome reviews!
I just went vegan in January and was worried about my disney birthuation (birthday/graduation ) trip in June. Your reviews assured me that the Disney magic works with vegans too!
I just convinced my mom to let me make ADRs at Ohana, Tusker House and the Prime Time Cafe. So excited!

BTW, we wanted Ohana for the night we got there, but they only have it at 9.00 and I was wondering if you think that if I keep checking that it will show up if someone cancelled or something?

Thanks for all you helpful reviews! I love the pictures (these last Ohana ones sold me)
Disney definitely works well with vegans! It's one of the main reasons I love vacationing there. It's so easy to eat out.

You've picked some good places! Definitely call back/check online and try for an earlier ADR, but don't worry if it doesn't happen. The past two times we ate there, our ADRs were right around 9:00, and we've had good experiences both times. And if Wishes is at 10:00 that night, you'll get to see the show outside the window!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casjen View Post
I am a dairy free vegetarian. Not all the way vegan but on my way. The brownie was HUGE and dairy free/gluten free. I am not sure about eggs. It wasn't a prepackaged brownie. It was a giant triangle slice treat.

I also really enjoyed Crystal Palace for dinner. I was shocked how much tasty food there was for me to eat.
Well, now I'm kicking myself for not inquiring about that brownie some more! I still think it's too good to be true for Disney to have a vegan brownie available, but it would be so awesome if it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveWDWalways View Post
My sister and I this thread! It's one of my favorites on the Disboards. We're vegetarian, and we always find so many delicious options at WDW. We love Boma (and loved the pictures you posted ... they hold us over until our own trip soon!). Boma's white bean hummus needs its own special day ... and to celebrate it, I'll make sure the hummus is guest of honor in my stomach.

I wanted to know if your vegan entries at 'Ohana are really ginger-y? I know you mentioned the broth, but what about the other things? Is anything smoky? Those are two flavors I really don't like, but the food looks so great, I want to try it next time!
Yay! I'm so glad you like them It's too bad all the hummus at Boma had cheese in it this last time we went. I don't know why they put cheese in their hummus, but at least there's plenty more to eat!

I don't recall any intense ginger flavors other than the broth for the soup. And nothing had a smoky flavor, as far as my taste buds were concerned. Very savory, but not smoky.
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #34
v_gan
I can go the distance!

DAY 3 - Quick Snack + D23 Dinner at Diamond Horseshoe

After lunch, we got got FPs for Peter Pan, used our Space Mountain FPs, rode the TTA, rode Carousel of Progress, watched the beginning of the parade so my sister could see the Muppets, watched the Country Bear Jamboree, and got a quick snack at a snack cart in Adventureland:

I got a strawberry bar, my sister got a frozen lemonade.

After this, we did some shopping, used our Peter Pan FPs, and then went to get in line for dinner. Well, to be quite honest, I didn't know there was actually going to be a line. But there was.

This is coming from the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon, going through the bathroom area leading into Adventureland, and going down the wall a bit.

Something funny did happen here, though. We were basically next to last getting in line, and then a mom and her 2 daughters walk by. The mom says to her daughters, "Here, stand in line and I'll go see what it's for." Who does that?!

Anyway.. We eventually made it up to the entrance:

We were instructed that it would be best to find a place to sit before heading to the buffet. Easier said than done, considering all the people that got inside before us. I just couldn't believe they weren't sitting people in order to make room for everyone. It was a madhouse inside

We eventually settled for two seats upstairs, near the far right side of the stage.

Needless to say, we didn't have a very good view of the screen. But we couldn't do anything at that point. So I went downstairs to try to find out what we were supposed to be eating. I had contacted the D23 staff right after we bought our tickets, and they assured me there would be something available for us. This is the reply I recieved to my e-mail:

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for your letter.

We have gone ahead and contacted the Walt Disney World resort and
alerted them about your dietary restrictions. They have confirmed that
they will be able to accommodate your requests. Please alert the D23
staff upon check-in to make sure you receive the appropriate meal.

Considering we didn't really have a "check-in", I attempted to do what I was supposed to. In the sea of hungry Disney fans, I tried to find a D23 staff member to help me.

First I saw a soup station that had minestrone soup. I asked the man serving it if there was any kind of beef or chicken broth, and he said the soup was completely vegetarian.

They also had some kind of chowder + chicken, shrimp, and croutons that could be added to either soup. But he assured me the minestrone was fine. so I got a bowl of that.

I found a woman near the buffet area, and I asked her if she knew what was vegan on the buffet. She wasn't sure, and went to go ask a chef. I stayed where I was for a good 5 minutes, while watching everyone else pile food on their plates.

When the lady came back, she started saying that I could have the mashed potaotes and the polenta (wait, what?), and I stopped her, asking if the chef knew what vegan meant? I explained to her that I didn't eat eggs, dairy, meat, fish, etc..

^Can't eat this!

She said that I should have e-mailed the staff when I ordered my tickets to explain my situation, and I told her that I had and that they assured me there would be something available. She said, "Oh," and, once again, went to talk to a chef.

(This is where I was awkwardly standing the whole time. Very uncomfortable spot, with all the people crammed in there, trying to get by me.)

Another 5 minutes go by, the presentation had already started, and I was getting kind of annoyed watching everyone else eating and enjoying the speeches. Eventually the woman came back out with a chef and he explained that I could have the minestrone soup (which I had already picked up), the sauteed greens, and the fire roasted corn + various beans.

After looking at the buffet all this time, I had figured these would be the only things we could eat. He asked where we were sitting, and I pointed to where my sister was upstairs. He said he would cook some tofu and bring it up to us for our entree. I thanked him, and then my sister came down and we got plates of the greens and the corn/beans to take back upstairs.

At eat place setting, there was a glass of lukewarm water, watered down lemonade, and at some point, some guy came around and gave us all champagne for a toast. I could have been under 21 for all he knew! I couldn't believe they just poured me a glass of champagne. I don't drink, but I did take a sip and nearly gagged. So gross.

This is the plate I got from the buffet. It had the sauteed greens (which also had red and yellow bell peppers), the fire-roasted corn with red, black, and white beans, and the minestrone soup.

After all that hassle, I sure was hoping the food would be good. And it definitely was. Everything was really tasty and very hearty. But I don't think it was worth all the trouble, or the price.

After about five minutes, the chef came upstairs bringing two plates of food for us:

Mine.

My sister's.

On these plates was what we had already picked up from the buffet, plus red quinoa, white rice, and some seared tofu with an olive/red pepper relish.

The beans were really good mixed with the rice. The quinoa was really plain. I don't think they even added any salt. The tofu was just seared tofu. It was nicely seasoned, but it was still just seared tofu.

I appreciated the gesture, but I could have done without the grains and the tofu.

And I don't think you can tell how incredibly small the space each person had was in these pictures. Everyone sitting upstairs was literally bumping elbows with the person next to them as they ate. It was really difficult to find room for all those glasses, plus the two plates each that me and my sister had. Really uncomfortable.

Oh, and also: At some point, when I was talking to the chef and the lady, the chef mentioned that somone had come in at the previous dinner seating, asking for a vegetarian meal and that they had thought that was what the special request was for. Nevermind that I had mentioned in my letter that we were going to be at the second dinner seating and that we were vegan. I wonder if they got a better meal than us, considering they thought that was the special request for the night.

They also had this little salad section set up, but I never made it over there:

It looked kind of pitiful, to be honest..

The best part about the meal, by far, was the guy playing the piano on stage:

He played this amazing, 10-minute long montage of classic Disney songs and, I swear, I thought it was a recording until someone said to give him a round of applause at the end. It was amazing!

And that concludes my experience at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon D23 Dinner. Not a very good one. But at least the outside of the restaurant is pretty:

Coming Up: D23 Fantasyland Dessert Party

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Last edited by v_gan; 03-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #35
ehartman4
Do you believe in something beautiful?

I've never heard of Diamond Horseshoe Saloon... weird. It's a bummer about your food experience there. At least most of it tasted good!

Also, I never commented on your Ohana review. All I have to say is YUM!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #36
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry your experience at the Diamond Horseshoe was less than magical. To be honest, that's actually what happened almost our entire trip at Disney in November. We filled out the dietary request form, got that same response in the e-mail. When we got to each restaurant they were never informed we would be there.
Most of our meals were really great and I was happy with them, but I can't help but think of what we could have had if they actually knew we were coming.
Thanks for the picture of the red quinoa - my mother loves it and talks about having it all the time but I had no idea what it looked like! I <3 frozen strawberry bars, they are sooo good. Any kind of fruit bar, I am all over.
Excellent review once again!
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman4 View Post
I've never heard of Diamond Horseshoe Saloon... weird. It's a bummer about your food experience there. At least most of it tasted good!

Also, I never commented on your Ohana review. All I have to say is YUM!
It's in Frontierland. It's hardly ever open anymore, which is why I was excited to go inside. They used to have a dinner show, but I think it closed because it was too expensive to run or something. They usually open it back up during peak times of the year and, from what I've read, serve the same food as Liberty Tree Tavern.

Yeah, the food was definitely good. It was just too much of a hassle, and I didn't really get to enjoy any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
I'm sorry your experience at the Diamond Horseshoe was less than magical. To be honest, that's actually what happened almost our entire trip at Disney in November. We filled out the dietary request form, got that same response in the e-mail. When we got to each restaurant they were never informed we would be there.
Most of our meals were really great and I was happy with them, but I can't help but think of what we could have had if they actually knew we were coming.
Thanks for the picture of the red quinoa - my mother loves it and talks about having it all the time but I had no idea what it looked like! I <3 frozen strawberry bars, they are sooo good. Any kind of fruit bar, I am all over.
Excellent review once again!
It makes me wonder if the dietary request form is even sent to any of the restaurants. It doesn't seem like it's done anything for anyone out of everything I've read.

I *love* quinoa! I had never had red quinoa before this trip. I'll have to try making it at home sometime soon. It's really pretty. haha.

And I agree about fruit bars! I'm not a big dessert person, but I love sorbet and whole fruit popsicles.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info and the great pictures! I'm sorry for the trouble with that one meal and that you were not well. When we went in Oct '08, we let the Chrystal Palace know of my daughter's milk allergy and they were very accomodating. It's good to see all of those options as although we are not vegan or vegetarians, we are trying to eat less animal products in general. I was kind of concerned for our next trip that it would be fried chicken overload. It's also one of the reasons we don't do the meal plan as we don't want to kids to OD on the kid's meals. Thanks again for all of this!
Jessica
Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #39
Plasticletters
Ride a Bike

more comments later...but just a quick one to start.

that brownie you are talking about definitely has eggs in it. It was offered to us too and the chef (at restaurantosaurus) let us look at the ingredients....eggs for sure

DL AP Holder (2012/2013)
WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter - Aug 2009 (26 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite @ family's house- Jan 2009 (26 years old)
WDW - All Star Music - March 2008 (25 years old)
WDW - Subpar Offsite Hotel - March 2004 (21 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - May 2000 (17 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Filthy Offsite Hotel - May 1998 (15 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando - Wet Offsite Hotel - Summer 1995 (12 years old)
WDW - Rad Offsite Villa - Summer 1987 (4 years old)
WDW- Fuzzy Memories of an Offsite Hotel - Summer 1984 (not quite 2 years old)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #40
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica14 View Post
Thanks for all the info and the great pictures!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticletters View Post
that brownie you are talking about definitely has eggs in it. It was offered to us too and the chef (at restaurantosaurus) let us look at the ingredients....eggs for sure
I had a feeling a vegan brownie at Disney World was too good to be true. But.. maybe one day!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #41
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Wait. You got champagne...in the MK????
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #42
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Wait. You got champagne...in the MK????
Yep. Everyone did. I thought it was weird (and gross, because all alcohol is gross to me ), but apparantly they do serve it during special events and stuff (like weddings and whatnot).

Last edited by v_gan; 04-15-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #43
v_gan
I can go the distance!

DAY 3 - D23 Dessert Party and Characters (part 1)

Wow, so I'm really bad at posting dining reviews in a reasonable amount of time. Sorry about that

After dinner, I don't really remember what we did other than riding the Jungle Cruise. But we were supposed to meet at the Hall of Presidents at (I believe) 8:00. So we sat in Liberty Square while Wishes was going on.

It was about 8:40 by the time some D23 people came by to walk us to Mickey's Phillharmagic.

Once seated, we waited probably another 20 minutes to listen to a few guys give the most vague and uninformative information possible on the new Fantasyland expansion. By this time, I was really hurting inside knowing how much I spent on a ticket to this event.

But, oh.. Once we got out it was all worth it: One word...

GASTON!

Yes, yes.. I know he uses antlers in all of his decorating and I'm sure he's totally anti-vegan . But I *LOVE* Gaston! I can't explain it. I just love him. I was beyond excited, and I was all smiles the rest of the night because I had met Gaston. Belle couldn't believe I handed him my autograph book, but I told her I thought it was safe since there weren't any mud puddles around.

Gaston was very proud of his pictures, since he knew he looked good in all of them.

After Gaston (and Belle.. ), we met Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar:

Clarabelle totally whacked me in the face with her nose. And, let me tell you, if you can avoid this happening to you, do so! It hurt. And it was a bit embarassing

After that, I met the Tremaine family:

Then we decided to check out the desserts, knowing there wouldn't be anything for us. Everyone had already dug into everything by the time we checked it out, so please excuse the messy photo content:

There were some fresh berries available at one table, but it wasn't something I really wanted at the time. So we passed. And then I found the most beautiful thing I had seen all night (besides Gaston): TEA!

Ahhh, you don't know how happy I was to see this. I grabbed some hot water and made a nice, warm cup of Darjeeling tea:

While we waited in line to meet Mickey, I sipped on my wonderfully hot and comforting tea and watched this amazing man draw Mickey on the ground with a wet rag:

Continued in next post due to picture limit...

Last edited by v_gan; 04-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
v_gan
I can go the distance!

DAY 3 - D23 Dessert Party and Characters (part 2)

Continued from previous post...

I told him he was very talented. I wish things like this happened more often. It was so awesome. Then, finally, Mickey!

After meeting Mickey, we decided to ride some rides. We rode Snow White, and then I decided now would be the best time to ride Cinderella's horse on the carousel. So I searched for it while we waited and headed straight for the pretty pony when we got on. I felt like a princess

Then we went to look at the concept art they had set up near Ariel's Grotto. I thought it would be most appropriate to include this on in my dining reviews, as it shows the entrance to the Be Our Guest restaurant!

And I figured, since Dumbo won't be in it's current location for much longer, I had better take some pictures while we rode.

Then the event started to close up, and we headed towards to castle to pick up our "free" gift (that was included in the price of our ticket, of course):

A pin. Yippie. I don't collect pins.

Not quite midnight!

On the way out, we actually got to see shadows of people working on the ice cream parlor!

It was so cool, and reminded me of that Travel Channel special on what happens at Islands of Adventure after the park closes.

And that was my adventure at the D23 First Anniversary Party. To sum it up: The experience wasn't worth the price... Until they added Gaston into the mix!

Coming Up: Old Port Royale breakfast and lunch.

Last edited by v_gan; 04-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Thanks for reviewing the D23 Party. It's a shame it didn't live up to expectations.

On another note, your photos are really good! Do you mind me asking what camera you use? I'm on the prowl for a new one.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: