Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Now a Trip Report!!! Will We Stay or Will We Go? A Thanksgiving Pre-Trip/Trip Report

It’s been almost two years since our first trip to WDW. I’ve been chomping at the bit ever since we got back! Clay and I originally planned on going for our anniversary November 2009 but it quickly became apparent that we just couldn’t afford it. Then I suggested that we go for Thanksgiving 2010 since we would have Alison for Thanksgiving. Clay was agreeable with that idea so I read others trip reports, bought some planning books and pined for a return to my happy place.

April 6, 2009 was a life changing day. At the end of that day I was informed by my supervisor that the position I’d had for eight years was being eliminated. I wasn’t too surprised because I’d seen this day coming for the past year. I just didn’t know when it would happen. Surprisingly, I wasn’t even upset about it. I loved the job and there were people I was going to miss but that was all. I was given a very good severance package so that probably helped numb the sting a bit! That Spring and Summer were so nice. I really enjoyed the time with Hannah and she was enjoying having Mommy around. I had interviews but wasn’t getting job offers. It was still early days so I wasn’t too concerned. Plus, knowing the economy was tanking, I knew it wasn’t going to be as easy as in the past.

The end of the year came and went and by now I was starting to get a bit worried. I was seeing more job postings in my field but I wasn’t getting the interviews like before. Clay hadn’t said anything about my lack of employment but as the months passed and it was getting closer and closer to the expiration of my unemployment benefits he began expressing concerns, which only made me worry even more. There would be no WDW trip this year for sure if we ended up losing everything because I didn’t have a job. I was beginning to feel like not only would I not be able to get a job but we’d never be able to go back to WDW. I was trying hard not to get in a funk but it was getting harder and harder each passing day.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, a “friend” of mine posted that she was leaving her job. A job that’s in my field. (Let me explain the quotes: I’m a member of a local Mom’s group. It’s an online community with message boards. They also do things like play dates, Mother’s Night Out and other special events. Just like I’ve not met any of you in real life, I’d never met this Mom.) When I saw her post I immediately sent her a PM telling her I was interested in the job and asked for some more information. She told me about the job and I was interested in pursuing it. I e-mailed my resume to her boss and then waited. A week went by and I didn’t hear anything. Then my friend posted that her boss had been on vacation all week. OK…that explains why I hadn’t heard anything so I figured I’d follow up after he got back from vacation.

On Tuesday I was out of the house until later in the afternoon. When I got home I had a voice mail from my friend’s boss saying he’d like to speak with me about the position. Yay!!!! My friend had also sent me a PM telling me that she’d made him look at my resume and that he’d tried to call me. When I called back he was with a client so I left him a voice mail. He called me back and we talked awhile. He then said he was interested in meeting with me and asked if I could come in on Wednesday for an interview. The interview was set up for Wednesday morning and when I got off the phone with him I had a very good feeling about the job. The interview went well and by the time it was over I was offered, and accepted, the job. My first day was Friday! It’s a big pay cut but it’s a job. So of course the first thing I thought about was a Thanksgiving trip to WDW!

On Thursday, I signed us up for GAD. The e-mail response I got from the organization we were helping said to hurry and do Step 2 ASAP because Disney was at 90%. What???!!!! I got us a date and time for Saturday and got a response back from the organization that they had our information. Then I started reading posts on here and on TGM that Disney was ending the promotion on Friday. Whew! Just made it by the hair of my chinny chin chin! That night, I told Clay that we’d need to do some shopping on Friday to buy items to donate to this organization. He said “OK” and left it at that. I told him there was a reason why we were doing this and when I told him what that reason was he immediately said “We’re not going to Disney this year!” Ugh! OK…it’s early yet. I figure I’ve got plenty of time to work on him! I don't remember how the subject came up, but as I was cooking supper Friday night the subject of going to Disney was brought up and Clay said “In February”. I said “How about November? We were talking about going for Thanksgiving this year.” He said “That would work.” Yay!!!!!!!!!!! We chit-chatted about it for bit and then that was it. After supper, the girls and I went to Target and got our items to donate.

Saturday morning we dropped off our donations and now anxiously waiting to see if we’ll get a voucher. And, while it would be nice to have the free day or special fastpasses, I’m not going to be upset if we don’t get them. We still did a good thing and I hope the girls learned a lesson today in helping others. There but by the grace of God go I ya know? Then Hannah had cheer practice from 12:00-3:00. At 5:00 she left to go to church with a friend and she also spent the night with her. We have Alison this weekend and Clay wanted to go see “The Lightning Thief”. I had no interest in seeing it; plus, we’ve got tickets to see “Alice in Wonderland” this afternoon. We went out to eat and I dropped Clay and Alison off at the movie and I drove to the nearby Starbucks with a book. I finished the book and walked to the mall, which is right beside the Starbucks. I went in to Borders and bought my very first PassPorter. Picked Clay and Alison up after the movie and they wanted to go to Starbucks. I took my new book in with me and when Clay saw it he says “You’re a Disney crack addict.” He gets his coffee, sits down and says “Let me see that book” and proceeds to look through it. Yeah…who you callin’ a Disney crack addict?! Of course Alison has to check it out too and then we begin to talk about going to WDW for Thanksgiving.

Clay has told me that even though we’re getting a really good tax refund this year that we won’t be using it to go to WDW. There are things that need to be done around the house and my van needs some work so we’ll need to use that money for those things; and save some if we can. IF we go to WDW we’ll have to save up for it. OK…I’m on board for that. The girls will have to miss two days of school but I’m not too worried about that. I’m sure they won’t be doing much of anything those two days anyway. As I told Clay there only obstacle (other than money) would be Alison’s Mom. I want to be there November 20-27. The first problem is that the weekend of the 19th is Alison’s weekend with her Mom so Clay would have to talk to her about that and two she may make the excuse that Alison can’t miss two days of school. Now, if she and her DH wanted to take Alison out of school it wouldn’t be an issue but if Clay wants to do it then it’s the end of the world. So, we’ll have to see how that plays out. We’ve told Alison not to say anything to her Mom about us going to WDW; not because we’re trying to keep it a secret but because we don’t know if we’re even going. I’m debating on whether to let the school know about the trip and getting “permission” for the girls to be out those two days or just take the days and send in a note. I know this is a hotly debated subject and I don’t know how I’m going to handle it just yet. We have expressed to the girls our feelings on their education and how important it is. On the other hand, though, two days isn’t going to make or break it for them.

On the drive home we talked about things on our “must do” list. Alison said Dinoland was on her “must do” list; no particular ride…just the area in general. She won a stuffed dinosaur at one of the games last time we were there so maybe that has something to do with it! Space Mountain is also on her “must do”. Clay’s “must do” was: Expedition Everest (Alison added this one! It was down on our AK day and they didn’t get to ride it. We ended up giving away their fastpasses for it), Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean (it was closed for refurb when we were there in 2008). My “must do” was: Haunted Mansion, Mickey’s Philharmagic, BTMRR (I didn’t get to ride this in 2008), Dinosaur and Test Track. Alison said she didn’t want to do Spaceship Earth (what???!!!) or the princess meal. We went to 1900 Park Fare for Hannah’s birthday and saw Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremain and the Stepsisters. Alison will be 13 when/if we go at Thanksgiving so she’s way past the princess stage. I told her that I’d read the breakfast was really cool so that may be something we do. Clay has requested that we not go, go go. I don’t feel like we did that last time but apparently he did so I’ll have to keep that in mind when doing our itinerary.

Clay has also said that this time instead of stopping on the way down that he wants to drive through the night. He said he felt more tired from stopping and spending the night and then getting there around 3:00 than he would have if we had just kept going. Coming home it took us about 10 hours because of stops for bathroom breaks, meals and filling the van up with gas. If we drive through the night the girls will be asleep so that should cut down on the number of stops. Clay figures that realistically it would be about 8:00 pm on Friday the 19th before we got on the road and, if it takes us 10 hours to get there it will put us getting to the World around 6:00 am…7:00 am at the latest…on the 20th. Hopefully we’ll be able to check in, get a few hours of sleep and then hit whatever green park there is for the day. We went to Epcot in the evening for our first day in 2008 and Clay said that he really liked that as we didn’t really do a whole lot other than just look around and check things out.

So…the big question is: will we stay or will we go? Time will tell!

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006

Last edited by jillyb; 12-06-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Trip Report has started!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Rosetta89
Mouseketeer

Magical Wishes

I read your whole post...that was quite a story! Glad to hear you are doing better though. My family used to drive until our last trip we flew for the first time! When driving we realized we did not like stopping so always drove through the night..its a good idea!! Stopping does make it drag on. Well best magical wishes to you!! I hope you get to go for Thanksgiving...a wonderful celebration of the tough year ending well Truely the most magical place on earth!
7th trip January 2010 - AS Music-Parents paid for me and the best friend to go on winter break! The best Christmas Present ever!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Why did you not tell us that you had a PTR going, Jilly???
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Double post

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006

Last edited by jillyb; 03-31-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Grrrr...my computer is driving me nuts!

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
jillyb
DIS Veteran

ANOTHER post

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Why did you not tell us that you had a PTR going, Jilly???
I guess I just assumed somebody would see the link in my siggie!

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
jillyb
DIS Veteran

It's a Go!! (for now! LOL)

Note: the GAD vouchers were received on March 10th so it didn't take long to get them after we volunteered.

My how time flies! We received our GAD vouchers!!!! I was so excited when I saw the e-mail! I’ve printed them out and, of course, they have gone in “the binder”! I’ll have to take a picture of “the binder”. That thing is HUGE!!!!! See, since I couldn’t plan another trip I decided to turn my planning binder into a general WDW binder. I printed off practically every article TGM has and put them in “the binder”! Did I mention it’s HUGE????!!!! I also had mail from WDW informing me about a great deal. It was a pin code for free dining for the Quick Service Dining Plan. Unfortunately it’s not for the dates we’ll be there. Come on Disney! Throw me a bone here!

Clay and I got home from work about the same time. He was only home long enough to pack a bag and then he was driving to Atlanta for a training seminar. I told him about getting the GAD vouchers. Then I “reminded” him how when we booked our last trip that all we had to do was put down a deposit and make payments and that it would have to be paid off 45 days before our arrival. I also “reminded” him that if it looked like we weren’t going to be able to go then we could always cancel the reservation. He said “OK…as long as you’re not counting on using any of the tax refund for it go ahead an book it.” Me: “OK…I’ll eat peanut butter sandwiches if I have to” but on the inside I was As he was leaving I told him I thought it would be a good idea to add trip insurance for this trip…just in case. He agreed.

Some of ya’ll may know/remember that I have an older daughter, Katie. For several years now she has been in a relationship/engaged to a very nice man named Howard. He treats Katie and Madison (my granddaughter) good and is more of a Daddy to Madison than her biological father. In August of last year Howard’s Mom died. A few months after that, he began having health problems. Now, this is a man who was very active and took care of himself. He was never sick. They ran some tests and told him that he has diabetes. Right before Thanksgiving, Katie had to take Howard to the hospital because he had blood clots in his legs. They also ran a test for cancer, which came back negative. He was given a bunch of medication to help with the blood clots but he just wasn’t getting any better. When they were at my parent’s house for Thanksgiving I was shocked because Howard had lost so much weight. He just looked awful. And on top of everything else his back was hurting him really bad.

Katie ended up having to take Howard back to the hospital several times due to blood clots in his legs and lungs. Right before Christmas the doctors did another test for cancer. This time it came back positive as Stage IV pancreatic cancer. They told Howard he probably has a year to live. I remember the day Katie called to tell me about the test results. I was putting together Hannah’s Barbie townhouse that Santa was bringing her for Christmas. We both were crying.

It was a bit crazy there for a while. My Mom and I were driving back and forth to Greensboro to take care of Madison at night so Katie could go to work. Once Howard got out of the hospital things went back to “normal”. He’s had to go back in a few more times since the initial diagnosis due to blood clots. There’s a new type of chemotherapy now that doesn’t cause the nausea and vomiting that the more traditional type of chemo causes and that’s what they started Howard out with. About a month ago they checked to see if the cancer had shrunk. It was larger. He’s now on a higher dose of chemo. Anywho….that’s the long version of why we’ll need trip insurance for this trip…in case Howard dies before we go or while we’re there. I’m fervently praying that this will be nothing more than a precaution and not a reality; not because I don’t want anything to interfere with our trip but because I don’t want to see Katie’s and Madison’s heart break.

The eight months leading up to this trip are going to be busy! Hannah has Scouts, my birthday is in May, school gets out June 10th and Hannah turns 8 on June 12th. Toy Story 3 comes out June 18th and we’re all excited about seeing it. Madison’s 6th birthday is in July. School starts back in August and Alison’s 13th birthday is also in August. In September, Hannah and I are going to see Mary Poppins in Charlotte. She doesn’t know I’ve got the tickets. I’m so excited about seeing this with her! Clay’s birthday is in October and then there’s Halloween. And then…FINALLY….NOVEMBER!!!!!! Oh…and our 8th anniversary is November 16th. I’m always forgetting about that!

So, here’s the plan for now:

When we’re going: November 20-27

Where we’re staying: Pop Century (unless there’s a really awesome discount that comes out!)
We’ll have 7 nights/8 days, DDP (unless Disney does Free Dining again!) and our GAD vouchers that we’ll use to get a DISNEY FASTPASS Special Exchange.

I was going to try to keep this a secret from Hannah for now. Alison knows we're thinking about it but we've told her it's just in the "talking/thinking" phase right now. We have friends in the neighborhood who love Disney as much as the girls and I do. They're leaving in three weeks. I'm green with envy! My friend picked Hannah up from after school care today for me and when she dropped Hannah off, Hannah wanted to go to her friend's house for a little bit. My friend didn't mind so I let her go. I walked over to get Hannah about 7:15 and as we were walking home she brought up how her friend is going to Disney World. Poor thing! She hung her head and said in such a sad voice "We're never going to get to go back to Disney World again." Well, ya'll know I couldn't let her stay sad like that. So, I told her that we're planning a trip for Thanksgiving. That improved her mood! We have Alison for Easter this year so I guess she'll find out this weekend as well.

I'm dying for the November hours to come out. I've been looking at all TGM's least crowded park charts from 2009 and hoping that the hours and best parks information doesn't change much from last year. I've even gone so far as to go all the way back to 2006 and did a spreadsheet comparing 2006-2009. I know...I'm crazy. Good news is there's only very minor differences in his park ratings for all of those years so I may only have to do some minor tweaking of my itinerary when the November hours come out.

Oh yeah..last night I started my draft itineary. I got a spreadsheet done by someone on TGM. Clay saw it and asked if I was doing something for work. Ummm...no. He paused for a minute and said "Don't tell me that's for Disney World". Me: "OK....I won't." Clay: Yep...he horse laughed me. It kind of hurt my feelings. Tonight he told me he was telling one of his co-workers about it and he got a good laugh out of it too. Apparently the spreadsheet I'm using is exactly like one they use for projects so they know where they are and what needs to be done next. I guess that's what he found so funny about my spreadsheet. It still hurt my feelings though. Men...pfffttttt.

I still haven't booked anything but will be doing that in the next couple of weeks...unless I can talk Clay into letting me do it sooner. Clay and I talked some tonight and he's told me that he really wants to take some time to walk around the WS and eat at some of the restaurants there. I know Coral Reef is on the list and he mentioned France and Morrocco tonight. When we went in 2008 he didn't really get to see much of the WS and he wants to do that this time around. He also said he'd like to see Illuminations. He told me that his park preferences are: 1) Epcot, 2) MK, 3) AK and 4) DHS. He only cares about riding RnR and TSMM in DHS and would be glad to call it a day after that. I'd like to take the girls to the animation place as they both like to draw and I want to see the characters at the hat. DHS isn't my favorite park either but there's things we didn't see/do in 2008 that I'd like to see/do this time around. Maybe we'll send Clay back to Pop while the girls and I hang out. LOL

I think I may break out "the binder" and the PassPorter while Alison is here and we can all sit down and go over what we want to do and where we want to eat. That should be fun!

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

here!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Woo hoo for the trip being a sure thing now!!!

Don't forget that TSM is at DHS also -- was it open the last time you were there?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
here!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Woo hoo for the trip being a sure thing now!!!

Don't forget that TSM is at DHS also -- was it open the last time you were there?
Yes it was still brand new when we were there in 2008. We all loved it and it's on the list of must-do's for DHS.

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Joining in!
Now, back to read

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Joining in!
Now, back to read
Thanks for joining in!

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
jillyb
DIS Veteran

Hannah has informed me that she wants to see the Princesses and she also wants to do autographs again. We didn't see Pochahotas or Jasmine on our last trip and she said she'd be OK with just getting their autorgraphs and not the other Princesses since she got their autographs last time. I don't know if I'm going to print out autograph cards like I did for our first trip or if I'm going to go the lazy route and just buy an autograph book. Right now I'm leaning towards lazy! I don't know if Alison will care as much about autogtraphs this time around as she'll be 13 when we go and I'm sure will be way too cool for autographs. This time I want to make sure we get more family pictures with the characters and separate pictures of the girls with the characters.

For some reason Clay gave me the restriction that I had to be able to save $500 a month before I could book a package. Last night I showed him the money so I'll be booking our package today. I think I'm going to play around with some other resorts though before I book.

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

As the kids have gotten older, they have become less interested in characters. Alison may not want much to do with them.

Remind Hannah that she shouldn't forget Princess Tiana!

Woo hoo for booking your package today! That is wonderful news!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: