Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Lglchick
It's a talent that I always have possessed

Lunch without reservations - bad idea?

We've made dinner reservations for evening, but I didn't make lunch reservations because I thought that would bog us down too much in time limitations. I've reviewed our lunch options and none of them require ADRs, so I feel we'll be okay by simply choosing some place when everyone's hungry -but before noon. Was this a bad idea?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
TisBit
DIS Veteran

Lunch is much easier than dinner without reservations, but if you are looking for a sit down restaurant, still expect a long wait.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Sounds like you're planning on QS for lunch. I've been in situations where lines were loong and then had to wait to find a place to sit and a "Quick" Service lunch ended up being more time than a TS would have been.

If you go earlier, though, like before 11:30am, you should be ok.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
lilmissbehaved
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lglchick View Post
We've made dinner reservations for evening, but I didn't make lunch reservations because I thought that would bog us down too much in time limitations. I've reviewed our lunch options and none of them require ADRs, so I feel we'll be okay by simply choosing some place when everyone's hungry -but before noon. Was this a bad idea?
We usually go to the World in the summer w/ the crowds.. typically we get a snack at the resort, do lunch around 11- 11:30... (we walk up to a QS) and have early TS dinner (around 5).

this has worked great for us. Our first trip ever was in September and we had lunch with everyone else at noon. We found we were burnt by this time and had to face LONG waits for lunch.. considering there were LOW crowds that year (10 minute waits for all big rides) ALL the waiting we did was at lunch time. It was VERY frustrating... Our new dining stratedgy made us feel like it was much less crowded... ! If you hit it a little early you get in, quietly get a seat, and you are walking out watching the line hit the door.
lilmissbehaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Lglchick
It's a talent that I always have possessed

lilmissbehaved, that is exactly what my plans are! I figured we would be up so early for breakfast that we would then eat lunch around 11-11:30 because all of our dinner ressies are for between 5 and 6. I believe this will work fine for us.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Forever Fairy
Spreading Some Pixie Dust

It will depend on QS vs TS and also how many people you have in your party. There shouldn't be an issue at all with QS - with the exception of possibly a line. However, if you have a party of 6 or 8, you may have a long wait for sit down.

My DH and I usually take a late lunch (1PM) because we're on CST and that's Noon for us. Since there are only 2 of us, we usually have no issue with TS for lunch.

It will also depend on where you go. For example, I would never think of going to the 50's Prime Time Cafe without a reservation, even for lunch. They are usually booked solid. The only exception is if you sit at the bar - but then you don't get the experience.

My recommendation - if there's somewhere you'd really like to try, make the reservation. If not, then you can always play it by ear for CS. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
gillep
DIS Veteran

I agree you will have no issue with CS for lunch if you want to go TS especially in the parks you may have issues. We went in January and had ADRs for all our TS park lunches and the waits for people without ADRs even for tables of two were well over an hour and a half and this was a very slow time. If you really want a TS and can't stand the waits in the parks you could always go to one of the resorts we never had a problem getting a table for lunch at a resort.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
lzbee
Mouseketeer

If your planning on going to Quick Service locations, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

For signature dining locations... you may run into a few problems, depending on how popular the restaurant is.

2006 - Boardwalk
2007 - Saratoga
2007 - Swan
2010 - Boardwalk
2010 - Saratoga
lzbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: