Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
hurdlertwin
Earning My Ears

economical food

Where would be the best places for college aged kids to eat in the park? Places that weren't insanely expensive but had pretty good food.
hurdlertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

I'm guessing you're asking about Magic Kingdom, but I'll give you some general eating advice and then suggestions for each of the 4 parks.

*Burgers aren't always a great bet. The buns are kinda weird.
*Coffee is bad just about everywhere.
*Pizza also gets mixed reviews. I'd choose other stuff.
*The hotels on the monorail have pretty good quick service restaurants, too.
*Sit down places almost all need reservations made well in advance, which you can make by calling 1-407-wdw-dine.
*Buffets are expensive, but if you've got a bunch of linebackers or bulimic sorority girls (oooh, the stereotypes, sorry. but ykwim.) they may be worth the money.
*All the parks have fresh fruit. Magic Kingdom even has baked potatoes. Cheap, filling, good.
*You can always ask for a glass of water at a counter service place.
*Check out menus and prices before you go at www.wdwig.com under "Dining"

There are "reasonably" priced places in each park.

In Magic Kingdom, I'd recommend Cosmic Ray's. Good roast chicken and ribs platter.
In Epcot, I'd recommend Sunshine Seasons. Excellent salmon and veggies.
In Disney's Hollywood Studios, I'd recommend Backlot Express. Pretty good salad.
In Animal Kingdom, I'd recommend Flame Tree Barbecue. Super good ribs and pulled pork.

Have a great trip!

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
disney777
DIS Veteran

Read the Cheap Eats section in Mousesavers.com

http://www.mousesavers.com/meals.html
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteandFluffy
*Check out menus and prices before you go at ..."
Respectfully, there's no need to send anyone to an outside site for information. Menus are available (and more easily searchable) right here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm on the DIS home site
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
smidgy
dimples

for breakfast, hubby and I split a huge funnel cake at Sleepyhollow in the MK.(by the walkway from the hub to fronteirland)
columbia harbour house(Libertysquare ) has fish and chips,chicken nuggets and chips.
at sunshine seasons in the Land Pavilliln at epcot, the oriental booth has an order or 2 entrees 2 sides. we split that .
Casey's corner at Mk (at the end of Main street) has foot long hot dogs. it comes with fries, and we split that.
one erson get a burger and fries, and the other gets just a burger.. there are so many fires, easy to split.
or nibble, get a mickey ice cream bar here, and itsakadoozie bar there. as long as your not hungry.. eat helthy when you get home! (put a few slim jims in your purse, etc. to keep away hunger pangs!)
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
smidgy
dimples

disney 777, thanks! i just checked out your mousesavers link.. lots of great ideas!!!! OP, check it out!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Respectfully, there's no need to send anyone to an outside site for information. Menus are available (and more easily searchable) right here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm on the DIS home site
I personally really dislike the way you access the menus and their format here on the DIS. I much prefer the menu section at allears.net
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Really? Why? wdwinfo.com has search options that allears doesn't. plus you can go one more step in from the (main) page I linked and get a list of all the restaurants. So, what's not to like?
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always forget that! Thanks for the reminder.

I think that I, like shellybaxter, prefer the format of allears. I find it more streamlined. Likely it's just because I discovered that one first.

--A
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Quote:
Really? Why? wdwinfo.com has search options that allears doesn't. plus you can go one more step in from the (main) page I linked and get a list of all the restaurants. So, what's not to like?
I like the list of links at allears instead of having to search a database. I like that different meals are in different links - I can look only at breakfast or only at lunch instead of going through all of the meals. And I like the font used at allears better - it is easier for me to read. Its not a huge deal, but just like most things in life I am glad there are choices. I prefer allears, others prefer DIS, so still another site altogether. That's why I think it is okay, good really, that other sites are allowed to be posted.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAndFluffy View Post
*Buffets are expensive, but if you've got a bunch of linebackers or bulimic sorority girls (oooh, the stereotypes, sorry. but ykwim.) they may be worth the money.
Wow, that was ugly.
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
valeriemouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
Wow, that was ugly.
CuteandFluffy already pointed out it was a stereotype and not to be taken seriously. Relax. No need to get people up in arms over something said in jest.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
shocker
DIS Veteran

My favorite food economy tip (lets get back to topic shall we) is the buffets or family-style AYCE. If you don't have little kids in the group or constant grazers, then this will work for you. Eat a large meal before going into the parks. Then eat just once at a buffet (can choose an off-schedule time between lunch and dinner and even save time too). Belly up and this should hold you off until leaving the parks or maybe just a snack later. On the surface the AYCE appear to cost more but we found we'd spend slightly less but still not be full at CS places so it was worth the price difference to fill up only once.

Hope this helps OP.

NO TICKERS!
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
Wow, that was ugly.
I will accept "in poor taste," but I disagree that it was ugly. Ugly requires an intent that wasn't there.

I was merely trying to say that buffets are a good choice for big eaters and was looking to put in a counterpoint to linebackers. But now I've explained the joke...ah well.

Anyway, to bring this back around to the original intent and not a discussion about my ill received joke

--An additional tip for the OP--

Remember you can always bring in snacks (granola bars, fruit snacks, uncrustables, etc.). You can carry things around with you in a backpack, or, if you'd rather, pop it into a locker and pick it back up at snack/lunch time. Cutting down on the little expenses can make a big impact on your budget.

--A
Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
valeriemouse
Mouseketeer

As someone recently out of college, I can remember a few staples of my former diet that could be quite useful for vacation:

Packets of Easy Mac - All you need to do is add water and pop it in a microwave which I do believe is in the food court at the Value resorts ( so actually, only helpful if you are staying at one)

Fiber One granola bars - My fave is Oats and Chocolate and because its rich in fiber, it keeps you full for awhile.

Pop-Tarts - I use to eat them right out of the package as a nice snack, or they can be popped in the toaster they have at the value food courts.

Saltines - Never underestimate the power of salty crackers.

100 Calorie Packs - great for a quick yummy snack

And all of these things are small and easy to pack or bring with you to the parks.

As for Disney dining, I went with friends after I graduated HS in '02 and college in '06 and we were surprised just how little we ended up eating. It must have been the heat or hecticness or laziness but we really averaged 2 CS meals a day so maybe like 20 bucks tops per day. Sometimes it was less than that. The first time we only did one sit down meal at Chef Mickeys, and after college we did one at Chef Mickeys and another at 50's Prime Time. CS places like Cosmic Rays in MK are great for sharing a meal. Its not out of the question to think you can get by in Disney budgeting $150 for out of pocket food expenses.

But I'll tell you right now, I did free dining last year and I think it ruined me forever Now that I know what's out there, theres no turning back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: