Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
kschafer
DIS Veteran

DARN! Missed page 1 by 3 minutes

Can't wait to read all about it!!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Which way to the boat??!!

So WELCOME to the first ever, "Happy Dog" Disney Cruise TR!

I know that many of you have hopped on this "boat" from my previous Disney trip reports, so you know a little about the crazy Happy Dog family, but allow me a minute to share who we are!

We are a family of 4, DH, myself, and two boys, 4 and 7. We are a couple approaching 40 GOOD gosh, when did that happen??!!! I can cling onto that for another year and a half, right?!! And by virtue of my DH's great ability to sniff out deals, and a pair of APs to WDW, we have had the good fortune to visit Mickey and his friends in Orlando many times this past year... Though we had been to WDW prior to this historic trip-taking year, I have to say the time we have spent there recently has sealed the deal for us being great fans of Disney. So that being said, we have many more Disney vacations in our future I know, but they will likely take new twists along the way -- thus our fall trip to Disney Land and some new cruises. Here is a photo of me and my crew on our Christmas trip ...

And here are the boys on our recent snow escape to the Animal Kingdom, just two weeks before our Cruise!

But the real participants on this trip are my DH and ME. Here is a photo of the photo they took of us at Palo's, onboard the Disney Wonder. It isn't as sharp as the original, but it is the only picture of the two of us

SO. Taking a cruise was the most remote idea in our minds the evening we even decided to book one. My husband and I, faced with some personal leave burning a hole in our pocket, wanted to take advantage of a quick getaway for the two of us at the end of February. As the story goes, I kept suggesting a Disney Cruise, as the going rate was really reasonable!! And finally after determining that we would not get a better deal for the $ and the dates we could go, DH agreed. We were considering a trip to NYC for some theater, but that would have been twice as much when all was said and done, So in early January we booked a Three Night Cruise on the Disney Wonder. Now the only other cruise we had ever been on was a Disney Cruise. A 7 day western Caribbean cruise, about a decade earlier. We had been on that cruise with my DBIL and his partner, avid Disney cruisers, and we had had a blast! We really enjoyed it then, and we figured we would enjoy this one, too.

We arrived in the Port Canaveral area in the wee hours of the morning that day of our departure. We had left work, met at home with kids to rendezvous with Grandma, and thrown our already packed bags into the car. We raced out of town in order to beat the evening traffic getting to 95. We had a few books on tape to keep us alert, and we stopped for dinner right outside Richmond, VA. Nothing like a riveting thriller genre book! I confess that DH did and does most of the driving, but regardless it is a manageable drive. Diet coke, coffee, pretzels, and every flavor of smoke house almonds gets us through We had booked a room at a hotel across from the port. It was called the Comfort Suites, I think, I will confirm the name. It was a great deal, because you got the room, breakfast, parking and free shuttle over to the port. We arrived around 5am, and checked in, and went to sleep!

Now I am not saying that we liked driving down and traveling with these conditions, ironically air fare specials were to be had for $84.00 RT to Orlando at that point, but my DH said we would have then had to pay $100.00+ for each of us to get the Disney transfer from airport to ship, and suddenly the convenience vs. the cost didn't make it sound all that great in terms of a "deal" -- and I would much rather spend that $ on the boat... and well, that is what we did! HA!

Anyhow, we woke up about an hour before the shuttle was due to take us, and went down to eat something, get our luggage out and meet the shuttle outside the room. Of course we didn't use the hotel for the full day/night, but the cost was worth it for the bed, breakfast, parking, shuttle, etc. that we would have had to pay if we had driven to the terminal. I know it was very reasonable, I think $80.00ish I will have to confirm with DH. So with some rest we headed over to the terminal at 10:30am. It was very exciting to see the boat in the distance!! You will see from the Mickey clock on the terminal tower that I took these on our departure. Which is true, but I wanted you to see what I saw first! I was too excited to get inside to stop on our way in!!!

When we cleared the security lines, it seemed very empty, and we walked straight to a CM to get checked in with no wait. There are two lines you need to go through to get your check in complete. One is to get your on board room key/charge card -- which is the room key/charge card, just like the KTTW at WDW. (in fact, I think those who do the land/sea combos use the same card all the way through! Here is a photo of my DH's I took after we got home, but so you can see...

Because we had been on a cruise before, we were inducted into the "Castaway Club"... more on this later ... hence the silver lanyard and card.

Anyhow, once you get your documents processed, you get your photo taken and that is added to the data on your card. They swipe this at ports of call, etc., to keep track of everyone. Once we were done with this, it was time to wait. They would not begin boarding before 11:30 am, or so...

While we waited, I took photos of the terminal, etc. Mickey and Chip and Dale were out to visit, and keep people occupied while they waited... Central to the whole terminal is this very cool model of The Magic. I have the photos below.

They started boarding people by 11:45am. We were embarkation group 4. Clearly people were lined up to get into the terminal when it first opened, because there were groups 1 - 3... ahead of us. I am assuming they bring people onto the ship by who checks in first, but it is possible those with higher room categories, or those who are "gold" or "platinum" Castaway Club members, etc., may get earlier boarding groups. I am sure there is a science to it, but there were crowds of people still checking in and in lines when we were called to board, around noon I think.

Now, as with any first experience, I have several observations and tips to share. But I will wait until the end of the TR to list them. Generally speaking we were excited to get on the ship, but I think we could have done things a little differently, and I will explain that at the end.

REGARDLESS, we walked through the "Magic" Mickey Ear portal!!!! I would have loved a photo in front of this but alas I didn't think to get one, and when we actually walked through we were walking with a line, so it wouldn't have been possible, but here is a picture that I swiped online, because as it is with me, I am always taking pics with my eyes and forget to get the real thing!!!

It is a fun way to board. Once you enter, they check your key card, you take a photo, and then you actually set foot on the ship!!! A CM was there to "welcome" you by announcing your name. It is very cute, and lots of CMs are on hand waving their, "Mickey" hands... I did manage to get a few pics at this point, but more will come to give you a good view...

I will post the rest of our afternoon and evening in my next update...

Bon Voyage!!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
I'm here! Loved your start and can't wait to read more.
Great! WELCOME I am so glad you are coming along for this "Sail" too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettii View Post
Im subbing in cant wait to hear about your cruise and DL @ Haloween! We went to Dis last Halloween and LOVED it! And know after reading your lead up to your new ptr Ive got that song stuck in my head! I swear we all sang it untill Christmas! You know the one This is halloween, this is halloween every one Scream!
Oh DON'T I know it!!! I have to hide the DVD!!! So glad you are coming aboard the Disney Wonder with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream426 View Post
Subscribing. Can't wait to read more.

Hey! Looks like you are Cruise Bound this summer!! Enjoy! We sure did!! I hope I can give you some tips along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
DARN! Missed page 1 by 3 minutes

Can't wait to read all about it!!
Ah, Page 1, Page 2, Page 10! Just glad you didn't miss the boat

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

Now back to read

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #22
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Way to go! I'm officially excited! Baylor is going to love this cruising business!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I can feel the excitement! Everything looks so cool. Love the "subtle" Disney touches of the Mickey clock, mickey ear portal etc. Can't wait to hear more about your afternoon. I've always been nervous about cruising but you are already making it sound like a good idea!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
MollyAnna
Earning My Ears

Great start to your TR! I just love those Mickey hands they wave at you. It makes me feel like I'm truly on vacation. A Disney cruise is on my to-do list within the next 3 years; can't wait to hear all about it!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln
MollyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Great start!! I'm excited to learn more about Disney cruises. Congrats on the October Disneyland trip!!
Thanks!!! Well it was a surprise a little to us as well, We are rolling it into a holiday to San Diego... The cruise was great fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Joining in!

Now back to read
Thanks for coming over!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
How exciting! I can't wait to read more!
I hope you enjoy it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Way to go! I'm officially excited! Baylor is going to love this cruising business!

Oh you have plenty to be excited about! Spring break, then SUMMER!!!! just wait until you get back from spring break! This cruise was really fun, and I know this summer you will have a blast!!!!! I am sure Baylor will LOVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I can feel the excitement! Everything looks so cool. Love the "subtle" Disney touches of the Mickey clock, mickey ear portal etc. Can't wait to hear more about your afternoon. I've always been nervous about cruising but you are already making it sound like a good idea!
Oh there are SOOO many subtle disney touches on the ship, let me tell you! It was an awesome trip. I remembered why we had so much fun the last time! I would tell you TRY one! In the winter mos. they are really reasonable, and the weather was really nice -- now in the fall it is the same but the weather can be more of a gamble. STILL a short cruise would let you test it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyAnna View Post
Great start to your TR! I just love those Mickey hands they wave at you. It makes me feel like I'm truly on vacation. A Disney cruise is on my to-do list within the next 3 years; can't wait to hear all about it!
YES! I agree! Welcome! It was a lot of fun.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
flamestarrdust
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited to hear about your cruise!

AUGUST 2010 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post38036065
AUGUST 2010 PTR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36865082
JULY 4th 2006 Cali Grill Event! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157941[/SIZE][[/SIZE][/SIZE]
flamestarrdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #27
manntra
DIS Veteran

so excited your started your cruise report.....I feel like you are an author and I am feverishly trying to read all of your sequels to keep up

Tracy
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Sailing Away, ALMOST!

Once we were on board, the CMs there guided us towards a restaurant on the 9th deck to get lunch. They had two buffet locations that were open for lunch that day. The buffet was nice with good variety. We found a table outside away from the wind and we ate. The sun was out but it was very windy so cooler. When we finished, we still had a little time before the room would be available, so we decided to check out the adult café/bar called Outlook Café. It was amazing! We had a great set of cocktails, and relaxed until 1pm. We were on a mission to get a second reservation at Palo’s, and the booking for these excursions and reservations began at 1pm. Palo’s is an adult-only restaurant that has a $15.00 surcharge per person. The food was fabulous and the service wonderful. It has a great atmosphere, and it is worth every penny of that $15.00!!! Now we had already booked a night at Palo’s on our last night of the cruise (I did this before we left, online.) We were hoping to score a second reservation – they only allow each room one reservation, but if you go on the day of embarkation you can either get a second reservation or, get placed on a waiting list to see if an opening comes up. They want to give everyone access and then if there are openings, they will take additional reservations. We were in luck. They offered us a 6:30 seating that night. Now, the 6:30 seating was earlier than our official dinner reservation time, we were on the second seating of the boat for the other dinners, including our second Palo reservation, which was normally 8:15. But we were thrilled to have the extra reservation, and didn’t mind the time change! With that reservation scored, we were ready to try out our stateroom… Here are the photos! With the porthole window, it is hard to see all the details, but I have more photos along the way.

When we got to our stateroom we had a surprise waiting for us…

Apparently Disney keeps tabs on its guests WAY past the time you travel. Hmmmm like we didn't know this!!! When we booked, we were automatically considered “Silver” Castaway Club members on account of the 7 day Caribbean cruise we had taken some 10 years earlier! So SCORE for that! We received this fabulous gift of a nice bag/tote – perfect for the beach! Two drink containers – these were aluminum like the metal water bottles you can buy, a really nice silver key chain with the cruise logo, and TWO flip-flop rice crispy treats…. A Perfect start to the souvenirs for the kids!!! We also had a card indicating we had a $75.00 room credit to our stateroom (this was for booking online and for using our Disney Visa).

A few minutes later the luggage showed up outside our room!

So with our luggage we busied ourselves with un packing and getting organized. DH took his shower right away, here is a photo of the room I took from one angle while DH was in the shower…

Since we still had a little time before the "emergency drill", we headed back up to deck 9 to get some coffee and to take some pictures. I was amazed that people were swimming! These photos were the "kid" pool/families with smaller children....

here is my DH being silly -- he was trying to use his head to "slyly" point out that above him was the biggest "hidden" Mickey on the boat... He laughs aloud every time I mention hidden Mickeys...

Cruise Terminal from above!

This is the mid-ship pool which had a "deck" covering on top. They were putting it in position for the Sail Away party.

Okay, these are silly. DH and I were strolling and all of a sudden he said, "Hey look, we can get a photo together!" With the highly reflective glass we could take a photo of eachother, just for fun!

These are of the ADULT Pool and bar area. This is where we spent most of our time, but I am sure you understand why -- BECAUSE we COULD!!!

Soon after we heard the announcement to report to our “emergency drill” location… this was up on Deck 5 and we had to basically report to the proper location and stand there with our life jackets on. I felt silly trying to take a photo, but once the drill was over we headed back to our room and I jumped in the shower.

Now the boat actually sets sail around 4:30, I believe. Well, with us in our state, and wanting to be ready for drinks and some deck time before dinner, we sacrificed attending the Mickey Sail Away party. I know, I know, but frankly a shower really was what the Dr. ordered, and so, alas, we didn’t make it back on deck to see it. DH had already gotten his, but now I needed to get “dolled up”! (and that is what it takes, a magician!!)

I was drying my hair when I felt the actual movement of the boat. We looked outside the porthole… and indeed we were on the water!

I finished getting ready and a few minutes later we were back on Deck 9 enjoying the sights of the boat “Sailing Away”!!! For those of you who have never seen the Sail Away party, here is a picture I adopted from another cruiser…. basically it is singing, dancing, by CMs and Characters, and there are streamers, etc. The ship blows its horn, the first five notes of "When You Wish Upon A Star"... and that is very loud!!! I remember thinking it was really fun the last time we took the cruise, but this time washing off the grime of travel was a must!

Continued in the NEXT POST!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #29
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Sounds like a fun start...but I can't beleive you missed the Sail Away party!! I want to go on one just for the Party! LOL! Well, ok more than just the party, but I do want to do it someday!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Sailing Away, for REAL!

So here are a few photos that I took as we were departing the coastline…

I realize that this photo is out of order -- it belongs in the first post, but this is a close up of the adult bar, and you can see the Outlook Cafe as well...

So "Before Dinner" drinks were calling. And back to the Outlook café we went, where upstairs there are fabulous views and fabulous drinks!!! As well as some great appetizer type snacks as well.

Okay this was a martini style cocktail that was on a special menu. The Manhattan next to it was $5.50. Can you say "I will have another?" What a great price, right!! We spent time at this bar/cafe every day!

Next the sun is slowly going down, the light was incredible. I thought it was the martini I had just downed, but no, now looking at the pics, I see they are kinda nice

Ah.... SUN SET. Let's Eat!

More coming tomorrow! Dinner at Paolo's and an evening stroll around the ship!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: