Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #151
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Whoa, that's a big towel critter!
I know!!!! Very complex! Very appropriate of course -- seeing how we had just visited the Dutchman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
We have to get back to a Disney Cruise sometime soon! I think two days at CC sounds heavenly. Eager to hear about HH, and the pretrip report. We have to get our meet together!
I will share all about HH, it was really quaint! AND YES! We will get organized for our summer trips and meeting up!, we'll figure that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
Your photos are stunning You have really captured the essence and vibrancy of the islands. Really fantastic trip report .... reading it has totally made me homesick for Castaway Cay
Let me tell you I could have taken many many more! Next time I will bring a smaller camera with me, too -- it would have been better for Castaway. I feel the same way!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #152
jinia
"For the better part of my childhood, my professional aspirations were simple - I wanted to be an intergalatic princess." Janet Evanovich

Loving your TR! We will be taking our first cruise - a Disney of course May 2011...this report certainly makes me want it to hurry up!
jinia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #153
stace208
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
We are booked this time for the 4 night, the one that leaves Sunday I think it is... the 20th. We have to take three days off. With the three day, it is the Thursday departure -- we had to take two days off, but we also took the Monday off since we went to HH for one night. on the 3 day you get back Sunday am, with Monday the holiday that is kinda nice... we are planning to take the Tue, Wed and Thurs after President's day. It is a good deal I think. I mean the weather can be a gamble, I guess, but we were and are willing to take that bet.
I would love to be able to do this kind of thing because the price is so great but my district doesn't allow me to take any days before or after a holiday.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #154
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
It was really exactly what the Dr. ordered! Fun. I still have tan lines
Tan lines!

Wow. I was swapping out my closet for spring stuff, putting winter in the back today (and need to be able to find my work clothes again lol) and realized how WHITE I am right now.

I want tan lines!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #155
Happydog
DIS Veteran

A Hilton Head stop!

So on our way we went, up to Disney’s Hilton Head resort. This was for a one night’s stay, to break up our drive. We rolled in around 2pm. Here are some photos of the main entrance/check in area. There is a nice common room with a pool table, etc. Everything is very rustic, reminds one of a summer “camp”!

Once we got our keys, we dropped our stuff off and walked around to enjoy the grounds… Well actually we went to the pool house first, walked along the beach, and then came back to the resort proper (we wanted to enjoy the best part of what was remaining daylight on the beach. (I realize that I copied these photos out of order, but you will see everything!) The beach house is actually on the OTHER side of the major road on Hilton Head, and you have to drive, ride a bike, or take their shuttle to get to it. We drove over. The beach house pics are last, but just know we went there first!

There was a note to look for the “Hidden Mickey’s” in the mantle.. See them??!!

From the main “Lodge” then you can walk along this boardwalk area to the rest of the buildings. It is a neat feature, and at night is probably really pretty. Most of the lodging is 1 and 2 bedroom villas – the only studios are attached to the main building. Here is the pool, the fire pit (where they have stories, etc) and while I didn't get a photo, they have a counter service food option on property, a small shop, and game and exercise rooms.

The mascot on the property is a dog, by the name of Shadow. We saw him along with a CM who played the fiddle, they were on the front porch to the main entrance when we arrived, they were not there when we got back from the beach house, though, so I didn't get a photo!! but apparently when they were building the resort, a stray dog (golden retreiver looking) kept hanging around and the workers "adopted" him... so I suspect they have had a few "Shadows" at this point, but the idea is still the same, and it was a nice greeting when we arrived...

So here are the BEACH house photos…. It is a nice area, with a pool that has a great view of the beach, and nice airy common room, a similar quick service eatery, and of course beach access! I didn’t take too many photos here because I didn’t want to pull out my camera in the sand. It was a beautiful day, cool, obviously, but sunny and pleasant.

Once we returned, walked around, and the sun was starting to set, we turned our attention to dinner!!! We ended up going out for Thai food. We thought about seafood, obviously!, but I was in the mood for Thai, and there is a series of family owned restaurants there on HH which had a fantastic rep, so we went and it did NOT disappoint! VERY VERY good!

Unfortunately, about now my camera told me my photo card was “full” (I hadn't cleared it of our Feb Disney Getaway pics yet! So alas, I didn’t get any more photos, this is even after I deleted some not so good shots! As a result, I didn’t get a room photo! But it was a nice room, very woodsy/cabin like, reminded me vaguely of Fort Wilderness, but more fish and boats in the décor!!!! You can see them on the website, though. HH is certainly low key (at least in February!) but I am sure it can be a fun and busy place in the summer! It is also a small resort, so that makes it quaint, too. I would enjoy spending time here in the summer – but my inlaws have a beach house in NC, so I don’t know that I could justify spending my vacation $ here for a long period of time .. it had the Disney touches, I wish the beach access was at the resort. These last few photos are the neat welcome packet they gave us (it was so cute, obviously designed for HH, so I thought I would share) and I loved the door handles.
A perfect "closure" to our HH pit stop!!!

Staying here for the night gave us a chance to see another side of Disney, like the cruise did, and it also has me really curious about Vero! Vero does have direct beach access from the resort, and a miniture golf course, so I am looking forward to trying out Vero with the kids this coming summer!

COMING UP NEXT... SOME SOUVENIRS!!!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #156
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Some souvenirs!

OBVIOUSLY, I had already been on a shopping spree at Disney just a few weeks earlier!!! SO, I kept my purchases to a few Cruise themed items!!

Well, you don’t get the full effect here, but these are the EMPTY souvenir cups that we were using on Castaway Cay… We ended up getting a second coconut for both of our “little nuts” at home ….

Conch coolers! Maybe if I drink one out of this cup at home I will magically be transported to Castaway Cay….

NOT. OH well, one can imagine!!!

Here are all the materials that they gave us on the ship, the daily planner (called a Personal Navigator), with events, activities, and all the show times, including the daily “drink special” and shopping deals!! You get one for each day of the cruise...

Here is the map of Castaway Cay, I realize I didn't rotate the image, so crane your neck!!

Now I mentioned they have a Photopass service on board, but they actually print ALL your pics and then you can purchase them. We only had a few photos taken, I liked a couple different ones, but they are not cheap. SO, I bought this one (they have two copies -- so I sent one to my parents).

This is the brochure that they have to lure you into signing up for another cruise... well, it works... BUT more on that later!!

For the boys I bought two different teeshirts. I really like the one with the cruise line art work at the bottom.. these will get some wear this summer, and should still fit next summer (at least for one of them!!) When we do actually go on the cruise in June 2011!

I also bought a couple pins. ONE for me (the cruise line pin) and one for DS4 (with his beloved starfish!)

I also bought myself a sticky note pad, and a neat magnet of The Wonder. I didn't load the photo, though, so I will add it to my TR in my final post!

I have some final thoughts to share, of course, and will do that later this evening, BUT also, most exciting news...

90 DAYS UNTIL SUMMER FUN AT WDW!!!

STAY TUNED....

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #157
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

HH looks really nice! I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting it to be so rustic - I like it though, sounds like the perfect way to break up that long drive home

I really like that Castaway Cay shirt! And the pins!

Looking forward to your final thought and hearing about all your new cruise plans!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #158
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

I did not know HH had a pool at the beach house. We had roamed around the resort once, but not down to the beach. I hope we get there someday... but summer will be tough!

love the shirts... and vacation is coming!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #159
ickletarakins
Pirate Extraordinaire

Ha, that pool table at HH looks just like the one we have at home!

Thanks for posting a picture of the conch cooler cups! I've been wondering what those things came in.
ickletarakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #160
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

I just wanted you to know that I finally had a chance to sit down and read through your TR!! WOW--it looks like a fabulous cruise--definitely on my short list of Disney things I want to do!!
ladybugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #162
manntra
DIS Veteran

Going back a few posts to CC......soooo beautiful! I just loved it there and tried to stay behind but alas here I am! We had such a fun day there and really did a lot....we actually rode bikes which was really not the greatest of ideas in the 150 degree heat! The water is just amazing!!
Love your loot and the pin for your son....awwww that is just so cute!!!
I really, really, really want to go on another cruise!!! I am going to have to do something quick as my trip is coming up soon and I can't be tickerless after that!!

Tracy
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #163
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I think I will definitely be looking into a cruise in the future. It looks like you had so much fun!!

90 days til summer fun! It's going to fly by!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #164
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hilton Head and souvenirs -- two of my favorite things!!! The resort at Hilton Head is just too cute! I love the idea of "summer camp." Was there a lot of parking at the beach house? Just wondering how crowded that gets in the middle of summer. Did you happen to browse through the gift shop there -- were there a lot of Disney Hilton Head specific souvenirs by any chance? Was it a long walk from the main building to the swimming pool?

Cute souvenirs from the cruise! I love the two t-shirts you bought for the boys -- they will be adorable in them. I do need to see that magnet though.

As far as a February cruise, we have a goofy rule in our county that you cannot take personal days before or after a holiday. Makes planning a vacation so difficult during the school year. We would have to do the three-day cruise if we did go that route.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #165
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinia View Post
Loving your TR! We will be taking our first cruise - a Disney of course May 2011...this report certainly makes me want it to hurry up!
Ha! Well that is why the DIS is so helpful keeps you occupied and distracted! Good luck with your trip planning! We are looking forward to our cruise plans on the Dream, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
I would love to be able to do this kind of thing because the price is so great but my district doesn't allow me to take any days before or after a holiday.

UGH, yeah, I hear you .... we don't have a mandate like that, but it still isn't easy, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Tan lines!

Wow. I was swapping out my closet for spring stuff, putting winter in the back today (and need to be able to find my work clothes again lol) and realized how WHITE I am right now.

I want tan lines!
I was happy to say the least! I wear sun screen, but I still soak it up!

This week we have been given 70 degree weather -- pretty amazing stuff! Especially after the terrible snow! (well I can't call it terrible, it did get me to Disney again!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: