Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Muppet Vision 3D

This is an attraction that I like more than my kids. I'll admit it, I'm a huge fan of the Muppets, and seeing them in 3D just makes for a great experience for me, and something I never want to miss.

I remember the first time I saw this show. It brought a big smile to my face, and it continues to do so every time I get a chance to go back. Even though my wife and kids could probably skip it and not really miss it, it is definitely one of the things on my must do list.

For me, the Muppets represent fun. One of the highlights of my week as a child was sitting down to watch the Muppet Show when it came on. I think this same sense of pleasure is what enables me to enjoy this show so much.

In the show itself I would probably say that my favorite scenes are those involving the judges, and when Sweetums comes walking out looking for the bunny. I also love the way Disney uses props to turn the 3D into more of a 4D experience (like Fozzies flower).

If I had to pick one thing about the show that I really don't care that much about it would be the 3D character (I'm thinking his name is Waldo, but I'm not sure). He just doesn't seem to fit all that well into the world of the Muppets.

I wouldn't mind seeing this show getting a facelift (and perhaps adding some modern tech to make it even better), but I hope they never take this show out. I really do look forward to getting my dose of the Muppets while at DHS.

So, are there any other Muppet Show fans out there? What do you like best about this show (or perhaps least about it).
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
JerseyDevils
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the Muppets!! This is a must do fo rme every trip. I would be heart broken if they ever removed the Muppets from HS. I would agree about the Waldo character...he needs to go. An update would be awesome...but not totally necessary. I'm happy as long as i get to enjoy my Muppet fix.
5/5/11-5/14/11 @ POFQ
5/3/12-5/12/12 @ POFQ 10 days is never enough!!
4/25/13-5/5/13 @ POFQ So we'll do 11 this time.

Me , DW , DS (10) , DD (5) , DS (2)
JerseyDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
MonoManBlue
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Agree with Waldo.....just don't like him, but one of my favorite parts would have to be that preshow.....especially if you get to watch the whole thing. Aside from that, the two old men in the balcony.....!!!!
MonoManBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

I love the pre-show!

Sam the Eagle: "Will you stop this foolishness??"

Rizzo the Rat: "What foolishness would you like to see?"

And if you have a chance, see it in DL, there's an added prop in the form of a clock/ticker display that displays various jokes and such. Hilarious!

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
brucefan
Earning My Ears

I love the Muppets too! I make sure we see it everytime we are in DHS.
brucefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Even though it's an old attraction I have to agree that it's one I just don't get tired of,over in Epcot they could do away with HISTA and EO today and I would be fine with it.Philharmagic is clearly the best of the 3-D movies but Muppetvision is right behind,I probably would have it ahead of It's toughto be a bug.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
BarbieGal457
DIS Veteran

I absolutely adore the Muppets!

I was always an anxious child - I still am at 22! - and HATED Sweetums (which I still do as well!). We sat in the front...well, let's say, I bet you all heard my terrified death scream from your homes & just didn't know what it was! That part still makes me uncomfortable but I sit towards the back now. That was the closest I ever came in all my trips to Disney to wetting myself hahaha!! I'm not ashamed to admit it!!

I was convinced for the rest of that trip Sweetums was hot on my five-year-old trail. I made my parents keep the bathroom light on all night in case Sweetums broke in, I could see and make a break for it! I apparently felt Sweetums could take my parents, but the heck if he was getting me!! We even put those "imaginary dogs on a leash" toys at the end of my bed as a guard dog!

But yes, aside from Sweetums, Muppets is my absolute favorite. I really do hope it gets a facelift, but unlike HISTA, I hope it never goes away!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
DanMedix
DIS Veteran

My kids share my love for all things Muppet. We have season 1 of the Muppet Show on DVD, and although they don't know who most of the guest stars are (I mean, you don't see much of Juliet Prowse these days), they could watch the episodes over and over again. Of course, they absolutely love MuppetVision3D. It would indeed be good to see something updated there, though.
Day-Trip : EPCOT (10/92) / POFQ(7/94) / ASMu(11/01) / Day-Trip: Animal Kingdom (6/03) / CSR (11/04) / POP (10/07) / POP(11/08) THE STORY SO FAR: 2008 (with incomplete afterwards-link ) / POP(..yes, again!) 10/12 PTR HERE! / COMING SOON: POR (5&6/14)! Octonauts.....let's do this!
DanMedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
TallandGoofy
Mouseketeer

"It's called a salute to all nations but mostly America."
--Sam the Eagle

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Muppets and MuppetVision 3D. It will always hold a special place in my heart 'cause I was a CM there while in entertainment. (Think tall, furry bunny hunter)

Here is something that will make Muppet fans kind of sad and wondering what could have been. In 1990, they announced to us the "Disney Decade" and among the plans for the next 10 years was an expansion of the Muppets at the Studios - including "The Great Muppet Movie Ride". (!) Unfortunately, when Jim Henson passed away soon after (I think it was '91) alot of the plans went by the wayside...

Thankfully, we do still have MuppetVision. I do agree with others, though, that Waldo is obnoxious!!

Hey - next time you go, at the end...take a look toward the back (just before, during and after the big explosion)...some funny stuff goes on back there with the Swedish Chef.
TallandGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
TallandGoofy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieGal457 View Post
I absolutely adore the Muppets!

I was always an anxious child - I still am at 22! - and HATED Sweetums (which I still do as well!). We sat in the front...well, let's say, I bet you all heard my terrified death scream from your homes & just didn't know what it was! That part still makes me uncomfortable but I sit towards the back now. That was the closest I ever came in all my trips to Disney to wetting myself hahaha!! I'm not ashamed to admit it!!

I was convinced for the rest of that trip Sweetums was hot on my five-year-old trail. I made my parents keep the bathroom light on all night in case Sweetums broke in, I could see and make a break for it! I apparently felt Sweetums could take my parents, but the heck if he was getting me!! We even put those "imaginary dogs on a leash" toys at the end of my bed as a guard dog!

But yes, aside from Sweetums, Muppets is my absolute favorite. I really do hope it gets a facelift, but unlike HISTA, I hope it never goes away!
On behalf of Sweetums, I'd like to apologize for the years of terror he may have caused.

But please know, he really is good - he just wants to help find Bean Bunny and put out the fire in the penguin pit. Yes, he is scary looking but at heart, he is a "Sweet"ie!!!
TallandGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
DVC Doc
Disney Fan

Agreed! There are so many little details that make this attraction so great. Some of my favorites are the Yell & Howl projector in the back (Bell & Howell is a prominent maker of film projectors) where a lot of people don't realize the Swedish chef is actually inside (with a cannon!). Also if you sit up close, the reactions of the penguin orchestra to the action onscreen is hilarious.
DVC Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
tmoret
DIS Veteran

I LOVE THE MUPPETS! I really hope we get to have some new things added to this attraction with the new Muppets movie comming out this summer...

MY DISigns:
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/tmoret/Disigns/
tmoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Johnny_B
Mouseketeer

"How long is your finale?"
"3 hours"
"You've got a minute and a half!"

I also really enjoy this attraction, but agree it could use a face lift. Every now and then you hear a rumor that they will have a special Christmas version (like they transform Haunted Mansion in DL) but it never happens. That would be great!

Also dislike Waldo, like everyone else. Not sure what his purpose is. LOVE Statler and Waldorf though!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
thepoohguy
Mouseketeer

"You're not Mickey Mouse! You're a rat!"

"Rat, schmat! Besides, what do they know? They're tourists!"

Love the pre-show, almost more than the movie itself.

It has some great effects. Say what you want about Waldo, but when he's really only talking to you, that is an amazing 3D effect, not to mention when he gets a "runny" nose.

The whole thing is just classic Muppets. Even though it's a bit old, there's no Kermit like Jim Henson Kermit.

Besides, I thought when they announced a revamped Star Tours, they also announced a change for Muppetvision. Maybe now that Star Tours is up and running, they will see that through.
thepoohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Irishgrl6975
Mouseketeer

I love the Muppets as well! My son has The Muppet Show on DVD and laughs his little behind off every time he watches, so this is a must do when we go to DHS. The first time we went my son was 5 and wanted to sit in the front row. I of course forgot that Sweetums comes out of the side door looking for the rabbit. My son was definately a little freaked out, but this past year he wanted to sit in the front again, even after I reminded him that Sweetums comes out and he just said " Yes, I know mom, I am not a baby". It didn't even phase him...I do love the old guys in the balcony. They act just like my father in law and his best friend. I hope they never get rid of this attraction.
2000~ Disneymoon @ WL
2008~ASMo
2010~WL

Irishgrl6975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: