Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Celaeno
Earning My Ears

Solos with deluxe rooms-what kind of bed?

So I'm going to AKL in October, and I've read about how the main bed types seem to be two queens or a king. Does being a single guest tend to mean you get a king, or is it fairly random? I have no preference either way-I'm likely to use an extra queen bed as a quasi-table, if anything-but I'm curious as to if Disney takes the single guest thing into account or not.
Celaeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I can't say for sure ... I am a DVC owner at AKL and our studio always has a queen bed and a pull out sofa -
But I am staying solo at POFQ in November and I booked it as a king. I imagine it would depend on what the bookings look like. If you haven't specified, they may give you a king if they are short on two queen rooms... But they often charge extra for king rooms...

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
godders
Mouseketeer

The resorts only have very limited king beds available so more than likely it would have said when you booked if you had chosen a king room. Otherwise you'll have a queen
1993 - Offsite, 1996 - Offsite, 1999 - Dixie Landings Resort, 2002 - Hard Rock Hotel & Offsite, 2005 - Disneyland C.A. 2010 - Loews Royal Pacific & Offsite, 2014 - Loews Royal Pacific & Port Orleans Riverside (First Solo Trip)

First PTR - Sept 2014 - I'm ridin Solo - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3311902

godders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

In my experience they don't take it into account, and you'll probably have a room with two beds, unless you specified otherwise.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
karly05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by godders View Post
The resorts only have very limited king beds available so more than likely it would have said when you booked if you had chosen a king room. Otherwise you'll have a queen
Agreed. I'm betting that if you don't request a King, you're not going to get one, because enough other guests will specifically request a King bed, and there aren't a lot of Kings to begin with.

I had 2 queens at BC in 2012. I like having 2 beds; I use the extra to toss bags, lay out tomorrow's clothes, etc.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Celaeno
Earning My Ears

Karly, that's pretty much exactly how I'd use a second bed-handy extra stuff holder. Good to know about the beds; I'd tried hitting Google but couldn't find anything anywhere.
Celaeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Aerinha
Earning My Ears

I was just CL at AKL in April as a single and they gave me a queen bed with a set of bunk beds shoved in. This was apparently the room they made me wait well past check in to get. Why this was THE room for an adult woman, totally alone I do not know.

I suspect when I called them at five to ask why I still hadn't gotten a text with my room number they either gave me the substitute room that was "a little further away" that they waited until I checked my bag and left for a park to call me about and I rejected since I wasn't there to take possession of it or that they forgot me after I rejected the sub room and gave me what was left.

Granted I ate the extra nightly chocolate off the bunks, but they were really obtrusive. Made the room feel tiny and closed in.

The Yacht Club gave me a king room when I was solo there. But there was no arm chair in my room. Just the wooden desk and its hard chair. I don't know if it was missing or if king rooms always lack them. No sofa or love seat either.

Edit: I did not request the king at YC they just gave it to me. When I did GF with my mom, there was a box either at online check in or when I booked that asked if we needed one bed or two. Given the way she snored, which was not a factor when I traveled with her as a kid, I should have booked two rooms instead of two beds :D. There was an unexpected "treat"
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM   #8
StLDisFan
Earning My Ears

I go solo to the Values, so I don't know if it helps any but I must have really lucked out a few weeks back. I have been three times solo (Sports, Pop and now Music) and the first two stays had 2 queens (which I prefer so I can spread out my camera gear and "laptop photo editing station"). This last trip I checked in at 6am and I don't know if they took sympathy to the fact that I drove 17 hours non-stop through the night just to get there that morning but a room magically opened up with a king bed (in a room next to the parking lot on the first floor of a building really close to the main hall - which was exactly what I was hoping for)! I am a "mover and a groover" when I sleep so the extra space was nice, but I think still prefer 2 queens.

This was over Labor Day Weekend and the parking lot was FULL (had to park in the Love Bug section on 3 different nights), so I can only assume Music/Movies were pretty booked up. I didn't request for any upgrades and I honestly had NO intention to play a sympathy card; the CM checking me in simply asked where I was from and how long of a drive it was and next thing you know a room opened up at 6am with a king bed
StLDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: