Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
jessicalynn88
Earning My Ears

Possible last minute solo or dup trip what to do

So I recently found out my husband had been cheating on me for a year (we'd been married 14 months!) and I'm in the process of getting a divorce. Originally I was going to treat myself to a Disney trip when it was final however I need to burn some vacation time by the end of March and I need a break so I'm trying to plan a long weekend in late February/early March. I'm pretty sure I'm going either by myself or with one friend but if will be really last minute (at least in my mind, I plan a year in advance usually). I'm hoping to book airfare right after Christmas but not book hotel or park tickets until end of January. Definitely on site or swan/dolphin. My friend is still really up in the air but I need the space. A few questions:

If I do go solo, is there any safety measures I should take? For the reference, I'm 26 but I've been with my husband since 19 so never traveled alone.

What restaurants are good for solo people? Or usually have last minute ADRs?

How hard will FP+ reservations be? Last time we went 7DMT wasn't open so that is my big goal. I managed to use FP+ pretty successfully in May but I planned as soon as I could.

Will I get a new magic band? What if I stay at Swan or dolphin? I like to say I lost the last one in the divorce because it's with the rest of the stuff its not worth fighting for.

I feel like I'll have a 1000 more questions but that's what comes to mind now. I've never really had an true solo identity since I started dating my soon to be ex and never pictured having to figure this stuff out. I know a lot of people do it all the time so it can't be too tough!
jessicalynn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
MulingAround
Earning My Ears

I've never been one to be good with words and I don't know you, but with what you're going thru shows that you are such a strong woman. And I am a noob, so I have no planning advice to share. ( if you have any to share with me that'd be great lol) A solo trip sounds good to me. You won't have to be waiting up on others and you can choose what you want to do without having to consult others as well. Regardless of adr's and fp+, you'll have an amazing time!!
MulingAround is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Sorry to hear Jessica(hope that is your name lol), cheating is not a good thing. I've been on the wrong end of it.

I'm on mobile now, but tomorrow I will answer all your questions, I'm used to doing the solo thing so I can definitely help.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

A good safety tip for anywhere is to be alert and aware of your surroundings. WDW is probably one of the safer places for a solo vacation. But look out for ECVs (motor scooters) in the parks; sometimes they get too close for comfort. Also sometimes people walking are in a rush and don't look where they're going, so they could bump into you. The more alert you are, the better chance you can avoid such things.

Most of the restaurants are fine for solos. Personally I feel awkward going solo to places like Biergarten where they put strangers at your table. The vast majority of restaurants there though will give you your own table. You can also look for people here on Disboards to meet up with you for some of the meals. It's more comfortable to meet other solos than to be the only solo at a table with families.

If you book FP+ 60 days out, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Restaurants -- I'm a planner type so I tend to book all my table service meals in advance. It seems risky to wing it if you don't get to go there very often. But if you're willing to wait, many of the restaurants could probably find you a spot eventually. The ones with bars will let you sit at the bar, usually with no wait if there is a spot open, and you can order from the full menu. Mentioning this in case you're comfortable with it. I usually prefer a table, but if I were in a hurry and there was a spot at the bar and no table, I might consider it. However for a place where experiencing the atmosphere is important, not being a bar person, I'd have more fun at a table, so I'd try to reserve one in advance. On the other hand if you're comfortable in bars, you may be able to meet people there too.

It sounds like your friend may not be much into this trip idea, but it's good you're going ahead with your plans anyway.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
jessicalynn88
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help so far. I think my friend is interested in the trip but it's definitely going to be a last minute decision. Her job is hard to get time off and she's already accompanying me on an already booked vacation in April instead of my soon to be ex. I'm dead set in going to Disney in March with or without her to do 7dmt and all the "girly" things my husband never wanted to. I've been looking at the values and it's looking like once Christmas is over I can afford it. And maybe if it's a quick divorce I'll get money from the retainer back! I wish I still had my old magic band but at least the MDE account is under me.

Definitely won't be making FP reservations at 60 days so I'll have to take my chances.
jessicalynn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Stefecatzz
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've also been in a similar one but thank the Lord I never married him. It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders & it's great that you're going ahead with your trip anyway!

I'm a passholder & go to the parks pretty often, either solo or with a friend so I can give you a few tips. I personally like to stay on property for solo trips & Pop Century is my # 1 choice. It's well lit at night & there's always people around so it feels safe. And it's really nice to rely on the internal transportation to get anywhere you want on property.

As far as being solo in the parks, there's really nothing like it! You can move at your own pace & do whatever you want on a whim, no planning needed if you don't want to. I do make my FP's in advance but I've done it before a couple of weeks in advance with no problems getting everything I want. If you don't get 7DMT at 1st, keep checking daily & you might find a time or two pop up but you might have to be flexible b/c the selection is pretty limited. Or you could always go to MK for rope drop & head there 1st thing. I did that a couple weeks ago & even though the wait time said 45 & the line was really long, it really was only around 25 minutes & you get to see the interactive queue that you have to skip w/a FP.

I've never eaten at a TS during a solo trip so I can't really comment on that but as a PP suggested, anywhere would be fine. There are a couple with communal seating like Biergarten & Teppan Edo so unless you don't mind sitting w/several others, avoid those.

Disney is a pretty safe place but you should still stay alert & follow your instincts & you'll be fine. I'm single and 34 but have a good bit of experience being on my own so I'm more comfortable at this point.

I'm almost always on a tight budget so I do have some tips for saving money as well. You can make a meal out of some snacks like the mac & cheese at Somerfest in Epcot that's around $4 or soup & 1/2 a baguette from the bakery in France for around $6. You can ask for free ice water from any QS or full service bar to save on bottled water. And since you're going in March, the Flower & Garden Festival has outdoor food booths w/some really good items to try. It's my favorite time of year to be in Epcot w/all the topiaries and events going on.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me if you want.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Start looking now for rooms. I just got an email offer for 35% off in my inbox last night.

Sorry you are going through this. Enjoy the trip
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
MsBLuv2Travel
Earning My Ears

Hi Jessica, sorry to hear you married a skunk. Some of us did!
But moving onwards and upwards!

Disney is really safe for solos as has been said here. I like All Star Music Resort - lots of lighting and people. I've never felt nervous. Meals are fun too. Even solo! I'm pretty outgoing, so will start conversations with next table, if I feel it's appropriate. Often I don't make reservations, just walk up to the restaurant; sometimes I've gotten in right away, other times a short 20minute wait. If it's a quick serve, sometimes I'll ask to join a table; again if the people look like the wouldn't mind. I've never had a bad moment doing that!

I'm planning on being at WDW around March 14 -17, 2015. If your friend is not able to go - maybe we could meet up?

Good luck, either way!

Brenda
MsBLuv2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: