Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #91
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

My War with Weight!

As promised, I am going to let you all in on what I have been working on since the beginning of 2010. MY WEIGHT!! I've struggled with my weight since graduating from college and, once or twice, won a battle or two but never the war. In late November/early December I went on a shopping trip with my two great friends to a local mall. Fun, right? Well...yes and no. And this is really the background story to why I decided to fight the war again and this time I would WIN!

We were having a nice day, mostly window shopping and just enjoying spending a "girl's day out". We got to JCPenney and they were having a sale on all of their beautiful evening wear dresses..you know, the kind you wear to the company Christmas party or a fancy dinner. My friends and I decided to browse a bit...there were literally racks and racks of dresses in all styles. I knew Jeff's Christmas party was coming up, and at 50-60% off maybe I could get a good deal. This is where the trouble began. Both of my friends grabbed several dresses to try on....but sadly NONE of the dresses were my size. The racks only went up to size 14 and I could not squeeze into a 14. I was pushing being able to wear a 16 and, if I'm honest, was really more comfortable in an 18. It was so disappointing. My friends were having a great time trying on fancy dresses and I couldn't participate.

Well...I tried not to let it get me too down, so I told the girls I was going to head over to the Women's department and see what I could find that would fit me. When I got there, no lie, there was ONE rack of dresses with ONE style of dress. Are you kidding??? Then and there I decided that it would be my goal to fit into a size that I could buy in the regular department and not the Plus size area.

So....starting in January, I made a plan. I had received the Biggest Loser game for the Wii for Christmas at my request. I went on and set myself up for a short 4 week program...it plans and schedules my work-outs and I can track my calories and any extra activity that I do. It also only lets me weigh in once a week. But exercise alone was not going to do it...I knew I needed to radically change the way I was eating.

Since I was going to change my eating habits, that meant that the rest of the family was, in some ways, going to have to change along with me. The only way to be successful long-term is to make changes that I can live with for the rest of my life. That is what I set out to do.

First, I committed to changing all of our pastas, bread, crackers, etc to whole grain versions. An easy change and one the kids barely noticed.

Next, I cut sugar out of my coffee. I like it a little sweet, so I use Splenda instead. I drink a LOT of coffee, so I really believe this made a huge difference.

I also started using a small plate at meals instead of a large dinner plate and removing the plate from in front of me when I've eaten ONE serving. I watch portion sizes as well and measure when necessary.

I do not purchase chips or junk food at the store. Instead I buy lots of vegetables like cucumbers, celery, broccoli, carrots, and green peppers and use those for snacks. I buy pretzels instead of potato chips so the boys don't feel too deprived! I learned that if I buy the chips "for the boys", I will eat them. We also switched to air popped popcorn rather than microwave. The boys can add butter and salt and I can eat it plain.

I buy light yogurt and fruits to have on hand when we want sweet snacks. My boys love the "dessert" flavored yogurts.

I do count calories, but not religiously. I know my calorie budget for the day and try to stick with it.

I love to cook, so I have been doing a lot of "adjusting" of our favorites to make them more healthy. I use fat free sour cream and cream cheese, reduced fat cheese and ONLY ground turkey (no ground beef). I also use turkey pepperoni and turkey sausage on our favorite recipes.

We switched to skim milk. Again, my boys didn't even notice.

I firmly believe that some of these things are just a matter of establishing good habits. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on food. I eat out...I am just more diligent about what I order. I allow myself treats, like dark chocolate or french fries...I just watch HOW MUCH and HOW OFTEN! The only thing I really miss is BREAD. I love garlic bread and soft rolls....and I do miss that, but again, I allow myself to have them on occasion. I simply adjust my calories for the day accordingly.

So....have I seen results?? OH YES!! I have lost 23 pounds since January 2 and am halfway to my goal of 46! I hit a big milestone last week when I weighed in at 198....below the 200 mark!! I also have lost at least one size....I can now wear a size 16 very comfortably. My size 18 jeans fall off of me. Jeff calls me "baggy pants" because I won't buy new ones yet. I can wear a Large instead of an X-Large! I can definitely FEEL the difference in how my clothes fit and that is a huge motivator to keep going.

Like a said, I am going to share a few pictures. I tried to find a few pictures of "before" that were good examples of where I was. Unfortunately, because I hated the way I looked, there aren't a ton to be had. But...I did find a few that show the God-awful spare tire around my waist which I HATED! These are pics from summer and from this past Christmas.

This one is with my brothers any my sister-in-law at Christmas. This sweater showed that spare tire I was referring too all too well.

This is with my brothers on the Fourth of July. I saw these pictures(we took several that day) and was really embarrassed about how heavy I had become.

This is with a few friends at camp this summer. Again, you can see the awful roll and how heavy my face is.

Now on to the "during" pictures. I am about halfway to my goal. The spare tire is still there, but now it's a bike tire instead of a monster truck tire! I tried to wear the same shirts so you could make a good comparison.

Last night we went to Jonah's Open House at his school and I ran into a woman that I haven't seen for a while. We were chatting and she stopped mid-sentenced and said, "You've lost weight!". It's the best feeling when someone who does not know what you are trying to do notices the changes. My friends have all said they can see the difference, but sometimes I feel like they say that because they know how hard I am trying. Hearing it from someone who had no idea felt so good!

So there's my story. I hope to lose about 10 more pounds before we leave in 5+ weeks. I'll keep you all posted!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #92
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

You know...your story is quite inspiring. I have to give you a great big old CONGRATS! You tickle me with your monster truck tire reference.

I have a little spare tire myself and I only weigh 120. But, all my life, I weighed just 100. While most folks might not say 120 is heavy, I can feel it on my small frame. I just need to toughen up and start exercising to tone up. I also need to take a lesson or two from you and stop buying all those snack foods and junk food.

Again, congratulations for the weight loss. At the rate your going, I am sure you'll hit your goal in no time at all.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #93
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Wow Missy!! You look fantastic - I can REALLY see it in your face!!

I know that spare tire too... I'm small and always have been, but have added some pounds over the past couple years and they are all around the middle. Thanks for listing out the things you have changed in your diet... DH has battled his weight over the past 10 years or so... He used to smoke and since he quit about 5? years ago he has gained quite a bit of weight. With his work schedule he has a hard time working out regularly. He does eat a lot of bread & sugar in his coffee so I'm going to make those changes.

Keep up the great work - you look amazing!!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #94
Pyrate_Pryncess
If I'm a redheaded ninja, does that make me a Gin-ja? I would like to think so!

First let me say YUCK to the Pittsburgh Jersey in the first picture......lmao! Hubby is from Pittsburgh so all day every day I hear Pens this and Pens that.....(and being from Buffalo I have to say that I am a Sabres fan)......
Second, isn't amazing how just 1 size makes so much difference? You are looking AMAZING! Keep up the good work! It is so wonderful that you are making life changes! I am glad that you are pulling this off without the kids cringing! I understand what its like to not be able to buy off of the rack....sometimes the things that you find just dont fit right either.
I got word from my Dr that I can start at the gym....I am supposed to start off slow to get used to the changes. My start date is April 15th. By that date I plan on being ready to start "real" workouts. I am excited about doing push-ups again (and being able to go all the way down). Keep up the good work and I am sure that not only will you hit your goal but you will knock off those last few lbs before your trip! Once I start my goal will still be 30lbs in 7 months. I know that I can do it if I get my mind set!
You Rock and dont give up!!!!!!!!!!

2008-First trip, ASMU2011-Christmas time in the parks, POP2012-A break for the kids, POP

Pyrate_Pryncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #95
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Missy!!! You look fantastic!! I can really see a difference.

And because you were so brave, I will share my numbers with you. I'm too self-conscious to do it on my own thread (maybe when I've lost all of the weight I want I'll post numbers there), but I'll share with you.

I can't tell you my dress size because I honestly have not put on a dress in many years. But, my pants and capris were 18's and have just moved back down to 16's. I currently weigh about 185 so not much different than you.

I have made much of the same eating changes as you have. And I think it is very important to make those changes for the entire family. It not only benefits you by not having the "dangerous" foods around tempting you, but I think it is a huge deal to teach children the right foods to eat.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of you!!!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #96
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

YAY Missy!! You look great! Congratulations!!!

I know that spare tire well. I've been battling with the darn thing since the boys were born. My biggest downfall is snacks before bed and chocolate!!UGH! Lately, DH has been trying to lose weight (because of his high blood pressure) so I've been buying lots more fruits and vegetables and less junk food!! He's been doing great but I've had such a hard time staying motivated!

I must say though...you've really inspired me to get busy myself!! You've made some positive changes and they have paid off!! Good for you!! You look fantastic!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #97
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
You know...your story is quite inspiring. I have to give you a great big old CONGRATS! You tickle me with your monster truck tire reference.

I have a little spare tire myself and I only weigh 120. But, all my life, I weighed just 100. While most folks might not say 120 is heavy, I can feel it on my small frame. I just need to toughen up and start exercising to tone up. I also need to take a lesson or two from you and stop buying all those snack foods and junk food.

Again, congratulations for the weight loss. At the rate your going, I am sure you'll hit your goal in no time at all.
Thanks Lisa! I really hate to exercise...but after I do a workout, I feel really good about it. I try to focus on how I'll feel AFTER rather than during!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Wow Missy!! You look fantastic - I can REALLY see it in your face!!

I know that spare tire too... I'm small and always have been, but have added some pounds over the past couple years and they are all around the middle. Thanks for listing out the things you have changed in your diet... DH has battled his weight over the past 10 years or so... He used to smoke and since he quit about 5? years ago he has gained quite a bit of weight. With his work schedule he has a hard time working out regularly. He does eat a lot of bread & sugar in his coffee so I'm going to make those changes.

Keep up the great work - you look amazing!!
Thanks for the kind words Amy. I really think the sugar in the coffee is a big deal....if you figure each teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories you can shave a ton of calories off your diet if you just eliminate that one thing. It was a bit of a taste change to go to an artificial sweetener, but not impossible to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate_Pryncess View Post
First let me say YUCK to the Pittsburgh Jersey in the first picture......lmao! Hubby is from Pittsburgh so all day every day I hear Pens this and Pens that.....(and being from Buffalo I have to say that I am a Sabres fan)......
Second, isn't amazing how just 1 size makes so much difference? You are looking AMAZING! Keep up the good work! It is so wonderful that you are making life changes! I am glad that you are pulling this off without the kids cringing! I understand what its like to not be able to buy off of the rack....sometimes the things that you find just dont fit right either.
I got word from my Dr that I can start at the gym....I am supposed to start off slow to get used to the changes. My start date is April 15th. By that date I plan on being ready to start "real" workouts. I am excited about doing push-ups again (and being able to go all the way down). Keep up the good work and I am sure that not only will you hit your goal but you will knock off those last few lbs before your trip! Once I start my goal will still be 30lbs in 7 months. I know that I can do it if I get my mind set!
You Rock and dont give up!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! I lived in Pittsburgh for 9 years so I am a big Steelers fan. I never really followed hockey, but you can see my brother is a big Penguins fan! Too funny that now I live in Rochester....big Sabres country!

It really bothered me that I couldn't "shop" with my friends. I guess the weight really had to get to me before I decided to do something about it.....it's kind of silly that it was something like that, but it was a terrible feeling.

Ugh I HATE push-ups!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Missy!!! You look fantastic!! I can really see a difference.

And because you were so brave, I will share my numbers with you. I'm too self-conscious to do it on my own thread (maybe when I've lost all of the weight I want I'll post numbers there), but I'll share with you.

I can't tell you my dress size because I honestly have not put on a dress in many years. But, my pants and capris were 18's and have just moved back down to 16's. I currently weigh about 185 so not much different than you.

I have made much of the same eating changes as you have. And I think it is very important to make those changes for the entire family. It not only benefits you by not having the "dangerous" foods around tempting you, but I think it is a huge deal to teach children the right foods to eat.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of you!!!
Thanks for sharing your numbers with me Carissa. I guess I just figure if people see my pics, they know I'm a big girl...no sense pretending I wear a size 6!! LOL!

I agree about the diet changes being good for the boys. It's important that they learn now, so they don't have to fight the same battles I'm fighting with my weight. They're tough lessons, but if we all do it together it's a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
YAY Missy!! You look great! Congratulations!!!

I know that spare tire well. I've been battling with the darn thing since the boys were born. My biggest downfall is snacks before bed and chocolate!!UGH! Lately, DH has been trying to lose weight (because of his high blood pressure) so I've been buying lots more fruits and vegetables and less junk food!! He's been doing great but I've had such a hard time staying motivated!

I must say though...you've really inspired me to get busy myself!! You've made some positive changes and they have paid off!! Good for you!! You look fantastic!!!
Thanks Angie! I have a problem with late night snacks too. I just try now to keep it to veggies or fruit...then I can still have the snack without the guilt! As far as motivation goes...there's no better motivator than a little success. It makes you want more!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #98
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Last night we went to Jonah's Open House at his school and I ran into a woman that I haven't seen for a while. We were chatting and she stopped mid-sentenced and said, "You've lost weight!". It's the best feeling when someone who does not know what you are trying to do notices the changes.

Those three little words every woman wants to hear... not "I love you"...

"You've lost weight!"

Congratulations!

Kathy
KathyRN137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #99
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Missy,

you are AWESOME!!!!

you look great and are well on your way. CONGRATS and good for you. I know you will stick w/ it. that is the key to change everyone...

I know I find myself snacking way more on the stuff I supposedly buy for the kids. the school yr is the worst for me, that mid-day binge in front of the "fat-tube"

I don't consider myself overweight...but definetly out of shape and I too carry that spare tire...UGH!

hitting the mid 30's and never quite got that stomach area to spring back after 3 pregnancies (considering my first one was twins w/ a 40+ weight gain).

you and Carissa are certaintly inspiring me...now w/ spring and summer on the way..that extra belly weight is so icky.

This is one band wagon I need to jump on!

thanks for sharing!

J~
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #100
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

you look fantastic! Missy
what a wonderful job you have done! at this rate I believe you are going to hit your goal by the trip...how wnoderful that you have found a way to incorporate it into the entire families meal plan...
Keep up the great work!
longing2Batdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #101
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Those three little words every woman wants to hear... not "I love you"...

"You've lost weight!"

Congratulations!

Kathy
Ain't that the truth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
Missy,

you are AWESOME!!!!

you look great and are well on your way. CONGRATS and good for you. I know you will stick w/ it. that is the key to change everyone...

I know I find myself snacking way more on the stuff I supposedly buy for the kids. the school yr is the worst for me, that mid-day binge in front of the "fat-tube"

I don't consider myself overweight...but definetly out of shape and I too carry that spare tire...UGH!

hitting the mid 30's and never quite got that stomach area to spring back after 3 pregnancies (considering my first one was twins w/ a 40+ weight gain).

you and Carissa are certaintly inspiring me...now w/ spring and summer on the way..that extra belly weight is so icky.

This is one band wagon I need to jump on!

thanks for sharing!

J~
Thanks Julie! I'm certain I'll never have a bikini stomach...3 kids and years of poor eating habits will do that to ya!...but I think being able to be happy with what I see in the mirror will be enough for me. Overweight or not, I think we could all be healthier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
you look fantastic! Missy
what a wonderful job you have done! at this rate I believe you are going to hit your goal by the trip...how wnoderful that you have found a way to incorporate it into the entire families meal plan...
Keep up the great work!
Hi Connie! I'm down 1 more pound this week! 9 more to go in 5 weeks!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #102
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Random!

Good Morning all! It's FINALLY a beautiful morning here in Rochester with the sun shining and blue skies! We are supposed to have an absolutely gorgeous Easter weekend.

I don't have too much to report on the trip today.....only 33 more days to go!! In a few more days I will be able to check crowd levels on the touring plans site. I usually have the Unofficial Guide when we are planning a trip, so I can check crowd levels much earlier. Without the book I have to wait for the "under 30 day" window. The MK has no EMH on the day we will be there, May 8, but it still makes me feel better to have that number!

I got Mickey Mail this week! I ordered a set of the personalized maps and they came on Monday. I ordered the classic design for our 2007 trip, so I decided to order the character design this time. They're cute, but I think I prefer the classic. What do you think??

I'm still in search of the elusive gray sweater to take on this trip. I have found one I like at oldnavy.com, but I am so cheap and hate to pay shipping! I was hoping to find one at a local store, but so far no luck. I have looked at JCPenney, Kohl's, Sears, Old Navy, Target, WalMart, and KMart. I may just have to fork over the $7 and get the one online.

The other thing I have been researching is seasickness remedies. I have a tendency to get seasick/motion sick fairly easily so that is definitely a concern. Spending 4 days on a boat with that queasy feeling is not exactly what I have in mind for this vacation! So....I've decided I am definitely going to purchase SeaBands. These are bracelet-type things that apply pressure to the pressure point on the wrist. I've heard mixed reviews on their effectiveness, but I figure it can't hurt. The other thing I will definitely take is Dramamine (the non-drowsy) or Bonine. I will probably just take these daily as a preventative measure. Once that seasick feeling hits me, it's tough to shake so no use waiting till I feel sick. I am considering buying ginger pills as well. Again, I've heard mixed reviews, but they are non-pharmaceutical so I figure they can't hurt. I've also heard good things about the patch, but that is a prescription so I'd need to see my doctor about that one. Has anyone had good experiences with any of the remedies I've mentioned? I'd love to hear!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #103
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Sorry, I can't help you with the sea sickness remedies...

We got the same maps this year - I've gotten the other ones twice so I thought I'd switch it up this year. Not sure which I like better.

Even if you have a UG, the membership isn't free anymore... I guess you get a discount, but not free. So even with the book, I had to wait for 30 days. My days are all posted as of today. The weekend we are there, and the weekend before, the Fridays & Saturdays are all 4s! The weekdays are all 6s except for one 8 - which happens to be our non-park day. Maybe the trend of Saturday 4s will continue for you!

Your weather should be here by tomorrow! We are expecting a beautiful weekend as well - 80 degrees on Saturday! 73 for Easter. Thank Goodness!!

Enjoy the beautiful weather!!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #104
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I thought about you last night. An Old Navy ad came on television and, guess what! They have the cardigans on sale this week! You may just get the cardigan you are looking for.

As far as sea sickness goes, I can't help you out much there. My mother's cousin gets extreme car sickness and the doctor told her to go to the local health food store and tell them she needed something for car sickness. They have her some kind of cherry extract something or other. I wonder if that would help sea sickness?

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #105
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Sorry no help with sea sickness remedies here either. Although, I do occasionally have car sickness and motion sickness...I've never tried any of the remedies before.

The last couple years I have gotten the Unofficial Guide too and was able to check out crowd calendars. This trip I decided to try another travel book instead. I guess it doesn't matter now...if you have to wait 30 days anyway. Just checked our crowd levels again yesterday and they went up. Probably because of MK being closed to capacity yesterday.

I agree about the maps!! We ordered the character ones last trip and I thought they were cute but I liked the original ones better! (those are what I ordered this year.)

YAY! We're supposed to have great weather here this weekend too!! Can't wait!! It's cloudy and chilly here today....I'm ready for some warm weather!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: