Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #616
MattsPrincess
Mouseketeer
 
MattsPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 450

So, i've been thinking, and i'm curious how this is all going to effect the Happy Haunts (right? lol) Tour. It seems like most of the reviews of it said it was an "ok" tour but that the main draw was the reserved seating for Halloween Screams. I wonder how/if they are going to replace that incentive for this tour. I guess if they DO show RDCT on non-MHP nights, they could just include seating for them. But if not, what could they put in it's place to draw people into taking the tour? Special souvenier? Included meal? More rides while on the tour? Or maybe they just won't have it at all this year.

Dh and I are so excited for our trip now! I am slightly worried the shift with all the party stuff will make crowds a bit heavier than we were planning on. Not overly tho. We plan to buy tickets to the one party that will be happening during our stay, tuesday the 5th. I'm gonna stay up all night on July 15th to get them! lol. I would be soooo devastated if our day sold out before I could get them. It makes me feel like they should limit you to only buying tickets for one date at a time. It doesn't seem fair that I could miss out on my one chance to go because someone else bought tickets to every single date during their stay. I'd be so bummed if I didn't get to go at all so that someone else could go for the third time in a week, you know? Ok, rant over, lol. We're very excited to go and I can't wait to (hopefully) buy tickets to the party and start really planning everything.
MattsPrincess is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #617
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,598
DISboards Moderator

Good question, MattsPrincess. I wonder what they were doing on the Halloween Haunts tour before last year. Wasn't last year the first year of Halloween Screams? So if it didn't exist in 2008, I wonder what was in its place as the incentive in previous years. I just remember hearing that the folks on the tour got to ride Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion Holiday and use the Fast Pass line (and I guess last year, they added in a ride on Ghost Galaxy as well). Beyond that, I don't know what they did. I wonder if everyone got seats for regular fireworks.

I wish DLR would suddenly surprise us and say, "We're having a Halloween parade in DL this year on non-MHP nights!" But I doubt that will happen. They want people to have a reason to go to the MHP or over to DCA to see WoC, so to add anything new in DL on non-party nights would only reverse that strategy.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #618
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!
 
BELLEDOZER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,168

I have a question for you Sherry...do you think the World of Chaos will be on the same days as the MHP?? I'm planning on getting a ticket for the MHP on Oct 5th, and am debating if I want to do WOC instead of the MHP on Oct 8th. If the WOC reserved section is standing room only, it may limit my options because of my bad back. Any info regarding this would be appreciated.

Trish
BELLEDOZER is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #619
soaringirl
Mouseketeer
 
soaringirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 474

Crowds??

Hi! I've read some of the previous post (sorry, didn't go through all!), and there are some comments about been more crowded than regular times..
I'm arriving at DLR on Sept 17th from San Diego, and plan to be at DL/DCA that Friday, on Saturday 18th and Monday 20th (half day). I was worried about weekends crowds, would that date be worse??? what should I expect?
thanks!
__________________
WDW: 1975, 1997 (offsite), 1999 (offsite), 2006 (All Stars Movies), 2007 & 2009 (All Stars Music)
Disneyland: 1981 & 1982, 1st time with family: 2010 at the Grand Californian Hotel. May 2012 at the HoJo.


soaringirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #620
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,598
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLEDOZER View Post
I have a question for you Sherry...do you think the World of Chaos will be on the same days as the MHP?? I'm planning on getting a ticket for the MHP on Oct 5th, and am debating if I want to do WOC instead of the MHP on Oct 8th. If the WOC reserved section is standing room only, it may limit my options because of my bad back. Any info regarding this would be appreciated.

Trish
Well, I probably know about as much as you do about World of Chaos. (I'm just giggling at that nickname for it - it's funny!) From everything I have read in the various World of Color-related threads and just general info, the impression that I am getting is that this is a big deal for DLR, and they are kind of hanging their hat on this as a means of bringing lots of folks into DCA - pronto! Whether or not that's what actually will happen is yet to be seen. We still don't know if thousands and thousands of folks are going to be excited about World of Chaos right away, or if they may wait and see it later on, after the initial buzz dies down a bit.

In any case, just because I think WoC is such a big deal to DLR and they are investing so much in it and making sure everything is right, I have a feeling they will probably be running it every possible night they can manage for a long while. They are probably counting on (hoping) that anyone who chooses not to pay extra $$$ for the MHP will mosey across the Esplanade and see WoC. So I have a hunch it will be showing on all the MHP nights and every other night for as long as they can swing it.

I think all the reserved viewing areas are supposed to be standing. Of course, World of Chaos has not started yet, but from all that we have heard, it appears that there are no seats of any kind. It's all standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringirl View Post
Hi! I've read some of the previous post (sorry, didn't go through all!), and there are some comments about been more crowded than regular times..
I'm arriving at DLR on Sept 17th from San Diego, and plan to be at DL/DCA that Friday, on Saturday 18th and Monday 20th (half day). I was worried about weekends crowds, would that date be worse??? what should I expect?
thanks!
My guess - and it's only a guess based on what crowds have done in the past - is that September 17th will probably be somewhat crowded mid-day on through nighttime, because HalloweenTime starts on that day this year and it will draw lots of people to come and see it after work and school. Possibly the 18th could be crowded as well. Still, I don't know if there is anything to indicate that it will be crazy crowded. I tend to think it will not be that bad in September (unless World of Color attracts loads and loads of people). I think October is far worse in terms of crowds, because that's when certain school breaks kick in, Columbus Day and other things happen to draw many more folks to DLR in October. In mid-late September, lots of folks are still in school and there are no major holiday breaks in that period of time.

So, September 17th and 18th might me more crowded than, say, a weekend when it's not HalloweenTime or Christmastime, etc., but I don't think it will be unruly or intolerable. Again, it's just a guess. I am envisioning that October will be much worse in terms of crowds.
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #621
AmyPond
DIS Veteran
 
AmyPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 609

I think blaming AP's for crowds is ridiculous. I mean, yes, there are a lot of APs and so yes, they can make it crowded. But I do not understand why people harbor such animosity towards AP holders.

AP holders are just as entitled to go to the parks and have a good time as out of state people. Just because they can go often doesn't mean they have any less right to see and do things in the parks.

I had an AP when I lived out there and we went all the time. I paid good money for that premium AP so I was definitely going to use it as often as possible. I also almost always ate food in the parks and purchased merchandise. AP holders are good for Disney because they fork over all kinds of cash.

If people want to get angry, they should get angry at Disney for allowing as many AP holders as they do.
__________________
AmyPond is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #622
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor
 
3Minnies1Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Modesto, Nor. CA
Posts: 8,331

FYI: no dates sold out until mid/late September last year. That was for the first night. Halloween weekend sold out around the first of October. My understanding is that they reserve tickets for the general public and APs cannot "sell out" a date before they open to the public.
__________________
Shannon

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #623
soaringirl
Mouseketeer
 
soaringirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
My guess - and it's only a guess based on what crowds have done in the past - is that September 17th will probably be somewhat crowded mid-day on through nighttime, because HalloweenTime starts on that day this year and it will draw lots of people to come and see it after work and school. Possibly the 18th could be crowded as well. Still, I don't know if there is anything to indicate that it will be crazy crowded. I tend to think it will not be that bad in September (unless World of Color attracts loads and loads of people). I think October is far worse in terms of crowds, because that's when certain school breaks kick in, Columbus Day and other things happen to draw many more folks to DLR in October. In mid-late September, lots of folks are still in school and there are no major holiday breaks in that period of time.

So, September 17th and 18th might me more crowded than, say, a weekend when it's not HalloweenTime or Christmastime, etc., but I don't think it will be unruly or intolerable. Again, it's just a guess. I am envisioning that October will be much worse in terms of crowds.
Thanks Sherry!! Your input is greatly appreciated, even if it's just a guess! I'm already getting used to the idea that it's going to be crowded, so no nasty surprises..
__________________
WDW: 1975, 1997 (offsite), 1999 (offsite), 2006 (All Stars Movies), 2007 & 2009 (All Stars Music)
Disneyland: 1981 & 1982, 1st time with family: 2010 at the Grand Californian Hotel. May 2012 at the HoJo.


soaringirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #624
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!
 
BELLEDOZER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,168

Thanks for the info Sherry on the World of Chaos. It sounds like the MHP will be a better fit for me for both days that it's going to be on while I'm there, as it doesn't involve a lot of standing/sitting for long periods of time. D)(&^%^&^)M back is giving me a severe amt of grief, and am trying to get it in some form of shape including losing 24 lbs before the trip to beat it into submission. Wish I could trade it in for a 20 year olds back at the moment (grumble, grumble, grumble!!) Have a great evening!

Trish
BELLEDOZER is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #625
canadadisney
Mouseketeer
 
canadadisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 344

Thank-you so much for posting all of this info. I have been following the news in this thread from the beginning and have gained so much info for our upcoming trip. We are going Oct 5-9 and plan on attending the Halloween party on the 5th. I understand tickets will be going on sale in July. Can you purchase tickets online or only on the phone? If it is online, can you purchase online from Canada? Do they ship the tickets? What time do you think the tickets will go on sale?
canadadisney is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #626
Vala
DIS Veteran
 
Vala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadisney View Post
Thank-you so much for posting all of this info. I have been following the news in this thread from the beginning and have gained so much info for our upcoming trip. We are going Oct 5-9 and plan on attending the Halloween party on the 5th. I understand tickets will be going on sale in July. Can you purchase tickets online or only on the phone? If it is online, can you purchase online from Canada? Do they ship the tickets? What time do you think the tickets will go on sale?
You can purchase online and have the tickets e-mailed to you, that's what I did last year. (I'm in Germany.) They do ship, but the charges for that were quite high for international orders.

The AP tickets went on sale around noon my time, so early morning East Coast time.
__________________
I've been BOO'd by fairykin!
Vala is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #627
inluvwithbuzz
Mouseketeer
 
inluvwithbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
FYI: no dates sold out until mid/late September last year. That was for the first night. Halloween weekend sold out around the first of October. My understanding is that they reserve tickets for the general public and APs cannot "sell out" a date before they open to the public.
Thank you so much for that information. That give me some hope that tickets will be available for Oct.1 party when they go on sale to the general public.

I am a little panicked cause my DS3 is looking forward to it and he already has his costume picked up.
__________________
inluvwithbuzz is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #628
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,598
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringirl View Post
Thanks Sherry!! Your input is greatly appreciated, even if it's just a guess! I'm already getting used to the idea that it's going to be crowded, so no nasty surprises..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLEDOZER View Post
Thanks for the info Sherry on the World of Chaos. It sounds like the MHP will be a better fit for me for both days that it's going to be on while I'm there, as it doesn't involve a lot of standing/sitting for long periods of time. D)(&^%^&^)M back is giving me a severe amt of grief, and am trying to get it in some form of shape including losing 24 lbs before the trip to beat it into submission. Wish I could trade it in for a 20 year olds back at the moment (grumble, grumble, grumble!!) Have a great evening!

Trish
Soaringirl and Trish - you are both very welcome! We are all kind of learning things together and sharing info with each other, so it's a group effort! Thanks, everyone, for continuing to stay tuned in and active in the Halloween at DL super thread. And keep that Halloweentime Information Boogie rolling along...




Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadisney View Post
Thank-you so much for posting all of this info. I have been following the news in this thread from the beginning and have gained so much info for our upcoming trip. We are going Oct 5-9 and plan on attending the Halloween party on the 5th. I understand tickets will be going on sale in July. Can you purchase tickets online or only on the phone? If it is online, can you purchase online from Canada? Do they ship the tickets? What time do you think the tickets will go on sale?
Hi, Canadadisney! Welcome, and thanks for sticking with us!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #629
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran
 
tdashgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: No*Cal
Posts: 2,032

I'm a N. California person and have had APs on and off the past 4 years. I don't renew them annually, I let them expire and get a new one sometime during my next visit. I get an AP because it makes sense if you visit more than once a year - for ticket cost as well as discounts on food (and sometimes merchandise). It doesn't offend me in the least when people talk about the effect APs have on the park. It's just reality -- the increase in APs has changed the traffic patterns in the park. I think it's better to talk about it and be prepared for it Now if someone on the boards just wants to slam APers, that's their deal and I just ignore it
__________________
tdashgirl is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #630
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,598
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
I'm a N. California person and have had APs on and off the past 4 years. I don't renew them annually, I let them expire and get a new one sometime during my next visit. I get an AP because it makes sense if you visit more than once a year - for ticket cost as well as discounts on food (and sometimes merchandise). It doesn't offend me in the least when people talk about the effect APs have on the park. It's just reality -- the increase in APs has changed the traffic patterns in the park. I think it's better to talk about it and be prepared for it Now if someone on the boards just wants to slam APers, that's their deal and I just ignore it
Oh, absolutely! The AP is a great deal for anyone who goes to DLR more than once in a year - even just two weekend trips in one year will justify the cost of it for me. First of all, when I do "weekend" trips, they are usually extended weekend trips, like 4 days and 3 nights. So if I do that kind of a trip twice in one year (let's say, once for Halloweentime and once for Christmastime), it has already proven its worth just in admission alone.

Second, I love to stay onsite at any of the DLR hotels. Last year I just couldn't swing it because my money situation was hideous. But I don't stay offsite when I do weekend trips. I either do a one-day trip and go home at night (that's called an "I'm Broke Trip"), or I stay onsite. (That's not to say I will never stay at HoJo's or any of the Good Neighbors, because I probably will at some point in the future.) I like the full immersion of staying onsite. So the AP instantly comes in handy with the nifty AP rates, or even with the standard AP discount you get when there are no 'AP9' or 'AP10' rates or whatever.

Also, we always eat all of our meals on DLR property. So whether we eat in DTD, at one of the restaurants in the hotels or at a restaurant in the parks, it helps to have that AP to whip out for the 15% discount (I had a PAP the last time I had an AP). You can be sure that I felt the pain of not having an AP when we went to my favorite place, Goofy's Kitchen, for our December breakfast last year and paid the regular, non-discounted price!! Yikes!!

I don't buy as much merchandise as I used to at DLR because the budget just doesn't allow for it, but I can't resist certain HalloweenTime or Christmastime items (as you can see from my merchandise photos in this thread and the "Disney at Christmas" thread). It helps to have an AP to cut the cost a little.

Now, if Disney starts trying to emulate WDW by making all kinds of things suddenly exclusive to separate ticketed events (like they are doing with Halloween Screams this year) - for example, suddenly making the 'snow' that falls on Main Street during the holidays, and the little light display that runs from the Castle up Main Street to the Christmas tree, party exclusives - and I have to shell out all kinds of money on top of my AP price, then I might not be so thrilled, and Disney and I might have to have a little talk.....but we will cross that bridge when we get to it!!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halloween at Disneyland Photos - More added 10/1, Post 36 has... Halloween food porn! Disney Dreams Disneyland (California) 58 03-22-2010 01:45 PM
Friday night Halloween ideas for home, instead of Halloween party?? doclegler Disney for Families 6 10-27-2009 04:45 PM
Space Mountain Halloween Overlay, and Halloween Fireworks!! tinkermell Disneyland (California) 55 07-17-2009 07:46 PM
Halloween Horror Nights vs. other theme parks' Halloween celebrations? apanopio Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums 3 08-15-2001 01:53 PM
The Czadas Halloween Holiday - Day 4 - Let the Halloween Festivities Begin! BethC Completed Trip Reports 3 01-16-2001 06:24 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: